Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ummel posted:

Is this a logarithmic scale? Because Cosby was an absolute serial monster.

it's linear, though measures beyond the cosby are largely contextual and academic. this is the weinstein space

there is more granularity at the lower end of the scale. hitting on a baristia as they hand you a drink is measured as a centicosby, also known as a Gamer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

ummel posted:

Is this a logarithmic scale? Because Cosby was an absolute serial monster.

It's a reverse calorie situation. We're pretty much always dealing in millicosbies, but it's just easier in common parlance to drop the milli-

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lightning Knight posted:

This is very tedious.
So, a bad faith The Disreputable Dog post, you mean?

He's always ready to chime in and defend the worst things, it's no surprise he's backing the burgeoning Trumpler Youth. Frankly it's surprising you give him the time of day with how reliably baited his posts are.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

StrangersInTheNight posted:

That kid was being a smug piece of poo poo flaunting what he felt was his open white supremacy

gently caress him, he is NOT the victim and how DARE you try to take the language of victims and the oppressed and attempt to apply it to him in some sort of galaxy-brain #bothsides argument that is really just ignorant-as-gently caress centrism

Everyone has a point in their lives when they learn that (fair or not) you get judged and assumptions get made about you based on the company you keep. This kid just got it on the largest scale possible.

Wear a MAGA hat, everyone will assume you are a racist. Attend a march held by horrible people, everyone will assume you are a horrible person.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Captain Invictus posted:

He's always ready to chime in and defend the worst things, it's no surprise he's backing the burgeoning Trumpler Youth. Frankly it's surprising you give him the time of day with how reliably baited his posts are.

I have a few different thought processes. For starters, he's nominally better than before, which is saddening as to the state of conservative posters on the forums. Secondly, there are so few conservative posters that we rarely actually get a chance to engage with their arguments first hand, as opposed to quoting a Daily Caller tweet and saying gently caress you repeatedly.

He's also not as maddening as say, Dead Reckoning, although that is of course subjective.

Ignoring the metatextual stuff, I find that it is more interesting to post a rebuttal to something like that not because I believe TDD will ever change his mind because of anything I post, but because there are many, many lurkers in this thread who may, say, have sympathy for the poor put upon white boy who got yelled at, and seeing an explanation for why they shouldn't may change their mind!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

erdogan update:

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1189514657658232833

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

StrangersInTheNight posted:

That kid was being a smug piece of poo poo flaunting what he felt was his open white supremacy

gently caress him, he is NOT the victim and how DARE you try to take the language of victims and the oppressed and attempt to apply it to him in some sort of galaxy-brain #bothsides argument that is really just ignorant-as-gently caress centrism

TDD is a self-identified republican so don't think he's going 'both sides' with this

EDIT - this has already been addressed, apologies

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

This sounds like the fanfiction people write about Putin or Xi too lol.

This is such an easy layup, how do you gently caress this up lol Tulsi you goddamned idiot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man its just so wonderful that folks like TDD are willing to step up and defend the poor downtrodden Rich White Teenagers Being Flagrantly Racist On National News. Truly the most oppressed of classes, they deserve multiple chances to grift redeem themselves by touring the various news stations and suing newspapers.

Lightning Knight posted:

I have a few different thought processes. For starters, he's nominally better than before, which is saddening as to the state of conservative posters on the forums. Secondly, there are so few conservative posters that we rarely actually get a chance to engage with their arguments first hand, as opposed to quoting a Daily Caller tweet and saying gently caress you repeatedly.

He's also not as maddening as say, Dead Reckoning, although that is of course subjective.

Ignoring the metatextual stuff, I find that it is more interesting to post a rebuttal to something like that not because I believe TDD will ever change his mind because of anything I post, but because there are many, many lurkers in this thread who may, say, have sympathy for the poor put upon white boy who got yelled at, and seeing an explanation for why they shouldn't may change their mind!
He's only marginally more acceptable because most of the more rabidly awful ones got themselves banned, perma'd or just generally hosed off, far as I've seen.

But yeah, breaking down why the little poo poo is so unsympathetic is useful too.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 30, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If you wear a MAGA hat you deserve whatever’s coming to you.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Knight posted:

No they won't.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

Still blows me away that people even respond to him.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Captain Invictus posted:

Man its just so wonderful that folks like TDD are willing to step up and defend the poor downtrodden Rich White Teenagers Being Flagrantly Racist On National News. Truly the most oppressed of classes, they deserve multiple chances to grift redeem themselves by touring the various news stations and suing newspapers.

This is another thing to stress: the only reason the Covington kids became national news for days was because their parents are rich and own major stakes in the media companies. That poo poo was at most a curiosity for the regional news networks lol.

Conversely, an entire class of high school white boys in Wisconsin threw up Nazi salutes in a class photo and it was news for like a day at most.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

This sounds like the fanfiction people write about Putin or Xi too lol.

This is such an easy layup, how do you gently caress this up lol Tulsi you goddamned idiot.

it owns that her take is like "Erdogan is literally the leader of ISIS"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CascadeBeta posted:

No they won't.

I like to dream.

eke out posted:

it owns that her take is like "Erdogan is literally the leader of ISIS"

Tulsi Gabbard would be a really good anime villain.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

CascadeBeta posted:

No they won't.
Posts like that are exactly what made me stop being a Republican. Stop your war on other people trying to make bad people better.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If you wear a MAGA hat you deserve whatever’s coming to you.

I own three red hats and now my wife won't let me wear them anymore. Make red hats great again!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

theflyingorc posted:

Posts like that are exactly what made me stop being a Republican. Stop your war on other people trying to make bad people better.

Congrats on being the exception, not the rule.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

CascadeBeta posted:

That doesn't loving matter, there are plenty of exceptions out there, and your posting about this is insanely lovely.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

theflyingorc posted:

That doesn't loving matter, there are plenty of exceptions out there, and your posting about this is insanely lovely.

Posters like TDD are white noise at best, for every one potential good "rebuttal", there's like 4 or 5 posts who don't know not to respond to the guy, then a bunch of people asking why people are responding to him/not ignoring him. It's real tiresome, and there's no theoretical, invisible right wing lurker who could be persuaded by owning TDD with facts and logic. It's pure fantasy, and even LK admits it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

CascadeBeta posted:

Posters like TDD are white noise at best, for every one potential good "rebuttal", there's like 4 or 5 posts who don't know not to respond to the guy, then a bunch of people asking why people are responding to him/not ignoring him. It's real tiresome, and there's no theoretical, invisible right wing lurker who could be persuaded by owning TDD with facts and logic. It's pure fantasy, and even LK admits it.

There are absolutely a ton of centrist lurkers who can drift his way by allowing his rhetoric to stand as "reasonable". It's not reasonable, and counteracting it is good.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
TDD is allowed to post lovely opinions in this thread so long as they obey the rules. Take it as an opportunity to try out your debate and discussion skills or at least learning to ignore people who aren’t interested in talking with.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

Yea you can gently caress right off with this.

I would garner a great deal of people have been convinced or fed arguments that could convince others in other head spaces.

The void yells back sometimes. Shove your vast sweeping generalizations about humanity being terrible up your rear end.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Some of what Gabbard is saying is correct. There were a lot of reports of Turkey-backed radical militias executing Kurdish civilians or kidnapping them during the invasion of Northern Syria

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

theflyingorc posted:

There are absolutely a ton of centrist lurkers who can drift his way by allowing his rhetoric to stand as "reasonable". It's not reasonable, and counteracting it is good.

If ignoring TDD means his rhetoric is viewed as "reasonable" to the nonexistent centrist lurkers then he probably just shouldn't be posting, because it contributes less than nothing.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

CascadeBeta posted:

I used to be a lovely R too and changed over time I suspect that it’s far more common than people think.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Some of what Gabbard is saying is correct. There were a lot of reports of Turkey-backed radical militias executing Kurdish civilians or kidnapping them during the invasion of Northern Syria

The problem with her statement is two-fold. First, it's insane clash of civilization drivel that frames the issue as though Erdogan is a James Bond villain driven to rule the world or whatever and not just a petty tyrant with material motivations and goals and a willingness to brutalize others to achieve those goals. Secondly, Tulsi Gabbard doesn't actually give a poo poo about Kurds or Syrians or anyone out there really, it's just grandstanding, and if she was in a position of power - as opposed to a pathetic third rate congressperson who is washing out this term - she'd be droning the poo poo out of them as we speak the same as Obama and Trump did.

Tulsi Gabbard is a liar, but she lies in new and interesting ways than the others which makes her appealing. I look forward to her inevitable Fox News show in a few years.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ryde posted:

I used to be a lovely R too and changed over time I suspect that it’s far more common than people think.
I got talked into being reasonable by a commie on the America's Army forums.

Weird.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

eke out posted:

it's cool how the 'russiagate skeptics' spent months telling us that support for aid to Ukraine was proof that Trump couldn't possibly be in Putin's pocket, and now we come to learn that at basically every point where they possibly could they undermined and delayed that support the best they could get away with

It's cool how Trump is in Putin's pocket, yet the Democrats keep voting to give him more money for the military (which Putin will control) and expanding his domestic surveillance powers (which Putin will control).

I guess the Democrats are all working for Putin too.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ryde posted:

It's just easier for a lot of people to assume it's not only not worth the effort, but impossible to do. It's even easier to fall down that hole when there are plenty of examples of much more worthwhile causes to contribute to out there. When you have enough difficult poo poo going on in your life, I can understand how it might be tempting to make huge sweeping generalizations like that.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

It's cool how Trump is in Putin's pocket, yet the Democrats keep voting to give him more money for the military (which Putin will control) and expanding his domestic surveillance powers (which Putin will control).

I guess the Democrats are all working for Putin too.

We all are comrade.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1189550321657401344

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

This is very tedious. The kid and his friends were actively participating in a political act, wearing political clothing and attending a political rally.

Sorry in advance for the "tedium" of making a post on the forum you're in charge of! What you said is certainly correct, but your focus on this kid, as opposed to the adults who do the same, the adults who organized it, the structures that encourage it, is 100% because of the picture and all the assumptions people made when they first saw it.

quote:

Their politics are based around the idea that people like the Native man have no place in America, for a variety of reasons that I shouldn't have to explain to you and should be common knowledge - if not about Republican right-wing reactionary ideology in general, than specifically about the particular animating paleoconservative nativist nationalism behind Trump.

To use a simple analogy, we come back to "should you punch Nazis." Part of the justification for punching Nazis is that being a Nazi, inherently, is a political act - it's not something you're born as, you have to choose to be one.

Thank you for this lesson - again I'll point out that the truly vile anti-Native stuff was said by the third party protesting there, which is completely discounted because the narrative of minority-on-minority racism and sexism doesn't lather up a really good head of steam like the idea of a rich white kid getting in a minority's face. Seriously, look up some of the stuff they said to the old guy and the woman he was with.

quote:

Now, in this particular case, it's not as extreme, but also the Native man did not, to my knowledge, physically hit or touch the kids. So what is the contention? "Oh no, the Native man was being mean to the poor innocent MAGA kids who are simply too young and naive to understand their own political iconography, despite being the children of wealthy elites brought up in an environment of power and privilege." If the kids are allowed to wear stupid racist bullshit clothing, then other people can walk up and tell them they're assholes.

The entire thing is basically a real life version of calm hitler . jpg, but we all have to pretend like MAGA hats and pro-life rallies are somehow perfectly neutral and apolitical things and ideas and as such the kids were perfectly innocent and unprovocative.

You're moving the goalposts again - I never said the kid shouldn't be approached and told he's an rear end in a top hat, I think he probably is an insufferable rear end in real life. Making this kid the poster child for the whole movement, wishfully hoping the child gets shipped to the gulags, weird daydreams about how it would feel to punch them is deplorable.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

There Bias Two posted:

It's just easier for a lot of people to assume it's not only not worth the effort, but impossible to do. It's even easier to fall down that hole when there are plenty of examples of much more worthwhile causes to contribute to out there. When you have enough difficult poo poo going on in your life, I can understand how it might be tempting to make huge sweeping generalizations like that.

It's important to stress that we shouldn't demand that people take the time to do this, or that they're a bad person for not doing so. For example, CascadeBeta, to my recollection, is LGBT. I don't really expect them to spend time trying to convince Republicans they deserve to exist as they see fit, nor do I begrudge them for refusing. But I think it's worth my time, situationally, and so I do so myself.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

ryde posted:

Same, I feel like a lot of it had to do with getting out of my parent's house and into college where I started to realize things they drilled into my head throughout my childhood didn't exactly add up.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

There Bias Two posted:

It's perfectly fine to not want to personally wrestle with difficult people - especially if you're a member of a minority that has enough poo poo going on - and it isn't anyone's job or responsibility. But telling other people not to do it is ridiculous and the entire problem I have with CascadeBeta's posting on the topic.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1189392472671248384?s=19

https://twitter.com/DandyAlesYYC/status/1189226449540173826?s=19

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Can he really drive a Caterpillar? Very skeptical on that claim, beyond maybe driving it across a parking lot. I doubt he can operate it like a professional.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
My point has always been there's actual honest to God causes people could contribute to that actually matter as opposed to fighting trolls on internet forums whole lying to yourself that you're doing good so you don't actually have to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Expecting anyone in the internet to do anything is stupid.

I'm just here to complain and look at dog pics.