Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Farm Frenzy posted:

I was kinda suprised that at the end everyone runs into the phasmid because it felt like it was tailored specifically to my inland empire-maining weirdo

You can't talk to it if you don't have high enough Inland Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Broken Cog posted:

You can't talk to it if you don't have high enough Inland Empire.

The threshold is pretty low though, I deliberately made a boring down-to-earth Actual Detective with no points in spooky skills and was able to talk to the phasmid

Maybe helping the cryptozoologist as much as possible lowers the skill threshold you need to do it?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I played a 2/6/2/2/ empathetic/sorry cop for 38 hours and beat the game and it was amazing. Now I'm restarting as something like a 2/1/5/4 cop just to get a less empathetic cop, and my sig skill is electrochemistry. Electrochemistry is now chiming up constantly and even tried to roll a doobie with Lena and was super disappointed that she doesn't smoke. Game continues to be amazing.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

sean10mm posted:

The threshold is pretty low though, I deliberately made a boring down-to-earth Actual Detective with no points in spooky skills and was able to talk to the phasmid

Maybe helping the cryptozoologist as much as possible lowers the skill threshold you need to do it?

Being nice to Lena regarding cryptids and doing all of her and her husband’s side quests gives you lots of bonuses to that check.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zikan posted:

Being nice to Lena regarding cryptids and doing all of her and her husband’s side quests gives you lots of bonuses to that check.

I think taking the option to get super pheromoned up also helps.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What skills do you need to dance?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fangz posted:

What skills do you need to dance?

Composure is the core. But you want Authority so you can make Kim do sick toe-kicks

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rookoo posted:

gently caress this game, it's ruined the writing of any other vaguely story-related games I care to play due to how good it is. Any other deep, but functional RPG's people can suggest? I played Fallout 1 and 2 and loved them, for a reference of how tolerant I am of oldschool mechanics.

Someone recommended Age of Decadence in this or the Outer Worlds thread. It looks good so I'm thinking of picking it up soon.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nephthys posted:

Someone recommended Age of Decadence in this or the Outer Worlds thread. It looks good so I'm thinking of picking it up soon.

Age of Decadence might be ok, Outer Worlds is just gonna have to wait until I've sobered up from this game. Disco is not a success to Planescape; it blows it out of the water.

Edit: Will this game ever get a physical collector's edition with goodies and stuffs? Maybe with a paperback copy of The Important and Bad Air? I want to buy it.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 30, 2019

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Age of Decadence might be ok, Outer Worlds is just gonna have to wait until I've sobered up from this game. Disco is not a success to Planescape; it blows it out of the water.

Not having crummy combat is a huge plus for this kind of game.

I like The Outer Worlds but it really is New Vegas Lite: Pretty and Stable Edition and not a game-changer mind blowing RPG, so play it on game pass whenever and maybe get the Mega Deluxe edition on Steam next year if they add a lot of DLC and core improvements like they did to POE/POE2.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

sean10mm posted:

You probably should get dosed with the Pheromones and have very high electro chemistry. I did my first run with high inland empire and couldn't trigger dialogue so I'm really looking forward to the last day in this second playthrough

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Avalerion posted:

I gave in to the hype and got this, don’t want to waste my refund window staring at chargen... what would be a non-wacky (no drugs, communist or fascist), competent good guy cop build?

4/2/2/4 or 5/1/1/5 makes you into a smart cop who also has street smarts and hand/eye coordination/composure. H/E coordination also is your firearms analysis skill.

The difference being that you'll have one fewer Health and Morale point with the latter, and in the former you'll pass more of the blue and red checks you'll probably fail or not see with 5/1/1/5

itry posted:

I don't really agree with all the "no combat" talk. There is combat in the game, it just doesn't use a discrete set of mechanics for it. It's all dice rolls, like in P&P.
But - with only a handful of scenarios - it's not combat rich.

No, I'm going to say that there's no combat of note. only one fight - two at most - is basically non-combat.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rookoo posted:

gently caress this game, it's ruined the writing of any other vaguely story-related games I care to play due to how good it is. Any other deep, but functional RPG's people can suggest? I played Fallout 1 and 2 and loved them, for a reference of how tolerant I am of oldschool mechanics.

People don't usually remember West of Loathing when thinking about deep, well-written RPGs because it's a stick man comedy game, but it's actually fantastic. Also, play Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong if you haven't already.

Finally, it's not an RPG, but try Control.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I really want to play this game, but I don't have a PC I trust to run it. Like, my laptop could probably handle it, but I don't wanna try it cause I don't wanna buy a game I can't run since I can't afford any upgrades or anything.

Anyway, I've read stuff saying the producers would "love" to be able to release it on consoles. How likely is that, actually? Would be great for squares like me.

I am p sure my laptop's specs meet what's recommended on the game's site, but I've literally NEVER bought a pc game and had it run right so I've forever been a console idiot and am afraid of spending money on pc games now cause I never expect them to work

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think the game's already sold enough to justify a port, but they'll probably want to do some localizations first. It's only available in English atm.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There's no denying that the game runs like a bit of a dog, it's one of the few legit reasons to hesitate recommending it. I'm sure they would like the console bux and they dodged any exclusivity deals by going steam/gog, but the game is very point-and-click-y by nature so it needs some engineering to play well. Localization is another good point and is probably going to suck for them considering the size of the script.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I really want to play this game, but I don't have a PC I trust to run it. Like, my laptop could probably handle it, but I don't wanna try it cause I don't wanna buy a game I can't run since I can't afford any upgrades or anything.

Anyway, I've read stuff saying the producers would "love" to be able to release it on consoles. How likely is that, actually? Would be great for squares like me.

I am p sure my laptop's specs meet what's recommended on the game's site, but I've literally NEVER bought a pc game and had it run right so I've forever been a console idiot and am afraid of spending money on pc games now cause I never expect them to work

Biggest problem with this game is that it's on Unity. Which means it will always run worse than it should. I think the important thing is, is to buy it anyway that way the developer gets more money and more incentive to port to consoles, and then you can buy it again so you can play it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Steam gives refunds dude. Buy it and if you can't run it then refund it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

Steam gives refunds dude. Buy it and if you can't run it then refund it.

yeah, and at the very least you will absolutely 100% know if this is the game for you within 2 hours

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Not like it's an action game, you don't need 120 fps to read text.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
*Hardstyle*?

gently caress you harry. game sucks. that's a dope animation though.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Might try the 'refund if it doesn't work' route. Since I haven't used anything for gaming except a PS4 in so long, I'd honestly kinda forgotten some things do refunds on digital games, cause Sony doesn't. Thanks for reminding me, thread.

Thing is, I've had to lower my standards re: writing in games to a point I kinda hate, so the prospect of a well-written game excites me.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I finished DE, what a masterpiece game. Now I'm at Groundbreaker in Outer Worlds and I'm enjoying that game as well. I don't know what is it with goons that have to ruin fun for everyone in order to enjoy theirs. I wonder if people bitching there are truly enjoying DE or anything.

For the life of me I can not think of enjoying something so much I have to poo poo the rest in order to keep feeling good. Actually, maybe they are roleplaying past Harry?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Might try the 'refund if it doesn't work' route. Since I haven't used anything for gaming except a PS4 in so long, I'd honestly kinda forgotten some things do refunds on digital games, cause Sony doesn't. Thanks for reminding me, thread.

Thing is, I've had to lower my standards re: writing in games to a point I kinda hate, so the prospect of a well-written game excites me.

Well the thing is that this game will ruin all other game's writing for you even worse so...prepare for that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

turboraton posted:

I finished DE, what a masterpiece game. Now I'm at Grorundbreaker and I'm enjoying this game as well. I don't know what is it with goons that have to ruin fun for everyone in order to enjoy theirs. I wonder if people bitching here are truly enjoying DE or anything.

For the life of me I can not think of enjoying something so much I have to poo poo the rest in order to keep feeling good.

I get it, you're ironic-posting about TOW in the Disco Elysium thread. :golfclap:

I personally thought TOW was fine, but not amazing. I hope the sequel is better.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Megazver posted:

I get it, you're ironic-posting about TOW in the Disco Elysium thread. :golfclap:

Nah man I honestly posted in here what I wanted to post there lmao. Mixed out the windows, I guess I'll edit the post so it makes more sense,

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

disco elysium has not ruined an LP of pillars 2 for me, it helps that they're very thematically different

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

chaosapiant posted:

Well the thing is that this game will ruin all other game's writing for you even worse so...prepare for that.

I kinda doubt I could think less of most experiences I've had with games. Kinda bitter when it comes to game writing. Most of it is really loving bad, and so I concentrate on other aspects in those scenarios. Either way, the game excites me. Might still be a few weeks before I can try it out (gotta be sure I keep bills paid before buying a game, and other adulthood woes), but I look forward to it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

turboraton posted:

I finished DE, what a masterpiece game. Now I'm at Groundbreaker in Outer Worlds and I'm enjoying that game as well. I don't know what is it with goons that have to ruin fun for everyone in order to enjoy theirs. I wonder if people bitching there are truly enjoying DE or anything.

For the life of me I can not think of enjoying something so much I have to poo poo the rest in order to keep feeling good. Actually, maybe they are roleplaying past Harry?

It's just a bit of blowback, since people have been holding Obsidian up as the "pinnacle of video game writing" for years. This time there's another game with a similar overarching theme around, so naturally people are going to compare them.

OW is a way bigger release anyway, so I can't really feel sorry for them for getting trashed a bit around here (most of the rest of the net is pretty much making the same jokes, just with Outer Worlds/Bethesda Fallout)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm empathetic as far as how it must feel for the cadre of forums obsidian stalwarts to be suddenly trolled over what is nominally shaping up to be one of obsidian's best received and most successful games. It's a bitter fate as far as the Tides of Posting go

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm getting weird bugs now like I can't open doors. So I'm getting stuck and having to reload to open the doors over and over.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
TOW is an incredibly mediocre game that only really excels over past efforts they've had in the area of....stability?

Great, they finally got that. For 60 loving dollars I wish they'd gotten writing and a third act and meaningful combat and all the other things I might like in a game too. As is it's mediocre, but the setting has some potential and I'd look forward to a TOW 2.

And would absolutely not tell anyone I know to pay full price for it. Give Microsoft the dollar and play the game if it appeals to you, that way you want have to worry about feeling ripped off.

e: And they've done better, so of course they'll get knocks.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 30, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

No Mods No Masters posted:

I'm empathetic as far as how it must feel for the cadre of forums obsidian stalwarts to be suddenly trolled over what is nominally shaping up to be one of obsidian's best received and most successful games. It's a bitter fate as far as the Tides of Posting go

I don't want to play Outer Worlds so soon after completing Disco because that's when the writing comparisons will be the sharpest in my head, which is unfair to OW. I have no doubt that OW will be a phenomenal game once I come down off my Disco high. Witcher 3 had the same effect where it made other games harder to get through because they weren't as good, but lots of games were still super good and worth of attention.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I went from DE and OW fine, because I wanted a game with some action as a change of pace, and DE has none at all.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Broken Cog posted:

It's just a bit of blowback, since people have been holding Obsidian up as the "pinnacle of video game writing" for years.
That one's really odd to me. New Vegas? Sure. Good world, good characters, decent story.

But wow, I found the story in Pillars of Eternity to be barely a shade above watching paint dry. "This faction with a silly name doesn't like this other faction with a silly name," without ever giving me a good reason to be invested in the world. It reminded me of the trade negotiations from The Phantom Menace.

Disco Elysium, on the other hand -- even the least appealing characters in the game (including the main character, at least to start) are compelling and give you reasons to care what happens to them. The world feels alive, and even the places you never get to visit (like Jamrock and the other islands/continents across the Pale) have a rich, interesting background.

I'm not sure why Obsidian fans would feel salty though. The writing in Outer Worlds is fine. It's not to the level of DE's story, but it does other things that DE doesn't. They're two very different games.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
this is a well written game that features a marvelous exploration of psychology and thought in a well-realized world populated by characters who read as though they have actual agency in the story, all of which are rare for videogames.

but it's weird how consistently it's compared with RPG's when it's much more like adventure games of old. this game has more in common with I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream than it does Outer Worlds or Planescape: Torment, it just also happens to have dialogue trees and stat-based exposition.

i'll say again i really love the writing - i get distinct and accurate flashbacks of overcoming trauma in a way i doubt less accurate or thoughtful works could have produced - but pretending it's some apex of writing or even video game storytelling is a little silly. it's good in a way that's very *different* from other well made games and you're more likely to be aware of what you've been missing after playing Disco Elysium, that's certainly true, but that's not the same thing as absolutely superior writing.

chief on my mind (i'll need to play more to really get into it, i only just finished one playthrough) is that the setting and thus the game relies heavily on allegorical events and groups to present it's political observations, which is a difficult trap to avoid when you're writing fictional politics, but other games have avoided it more often than not. (ironically including Outer Worlds, but i'm not far enough in to decide if that's deliberate or a side effect of the farcical nature of the setting)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's compared to Torment partly because Torment really wanted to be this kind of game, and was at its best when it was like this kind of game.

Torment's actual combat and D&D side really didn't add anything.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

A lot of flawed weird fad RPGs come and go, so I understand the 15+ year obsidian squad vets rolling their eyes when a bunch of people pour in recommending some weird random game from first time devs in estonia as the new best thing. It just happens that in this case they're wrong and somehow they did manage to make the best thing

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How the heck do you get knowledge of the Pale? Not having it gave me a huge nerf to that check in the church to figure out what was going on with the hole in reality, but since I'd already done everything and talked to everyone, I guess it must be tied to a quest/conversation I missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Omi no Kami posted:

How the heck do you get knowledge of the Pale? Not having it gave me a huge nerf to that check in the church to figure out what was going on with the hole in reality, but since I'd already done everything and talked to everyone, I guess it must be tied to a quest/conversation I missed?

Might be obtainable elsewhere, but definitely comes from a white check with joyce in the 'what is x' part of her dialogue tree.