Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler
SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #11 - Hail To The King
48. Tomb Of LIgeia (1964) - Owned #10

I need to watch more of the Corman Poe cycle. I’ve seen Masque Of The Red Death, one of my favorites, but haven’t seen any of the others. Luckily many of them are in a Vincent Price collection I bought, so I pulled Tomb of Ligeia out and gave it a watch. Love the colors, the mood, the scene-chewing, the cabbage throw, the crumbling edifices - everything about this. I’m looking forward to watching the rest!

Movies So Far - 48:
Rewatches: 13 - Deep Red, One Cut Of The Dead, The Endless, Train To Busan, TCM 2, Zombi 2, Halloween 3, The Witch, Jason X, Piranha, The Ritual, As Above So Below, Critters
New To Me: 25 - Dolls, Borderlands, Child’s Play (2019), Memory: Origins Of Alien, Who Can Kill A Child?, The Seventh Curse, Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde, Hell House LLC 2, The Red Queen Kills Seven Times, Bones, Hobo With A Shotgun, Without Name, The Doll, The Hitch-Hiker, Hatchet 2, Sadako vs. Kayako, Phantom Of The Paradise, Brightburn, Critters Attack!, Howling VI, Uncle Sam, Extra Terrestrial Visitors, Pulse, Forbidden World, Beyond Reanimator
Finally Watching Owned Movies: 10 - Werewolf Of London, She-Wolf Of London, Isle Of The Snake People, Creature From The Black Lagoon, Revenge Of The Creature, Paranormal Activity, Eyes Without A Face, Phantom Of The Opera, Brightburn, Tomb of LIgeia
Challenges Filled: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Gripweed posted:

poo poo, I pledged for 31 movies but if I watch all the movies I plan to I'm gonna end up with 75. And then I won't be able to bear the thought of watching another movie for the rest of the year

I feel you, Dr Sleep will be #75 tonight and I can't wait for November and to take a break. It won't be much of a break since there's still new movies coming out but at least I can spread them about.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
poo poo I only hit 40 by the time I finished the challenges, and I'm so relieved that I can just go home and... watch a tv show tonight

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #12: Cavalcade of Creepiness
33. Dead of Night

A man arrives at a farm and experiences some serious deja vu. The other people present each share their own stories of spooky happenings as they try to find a solution to his unease. Fun, atmospheric little ghost story snippets. I think my favorite was the golf story, which was more comedy than horror but actually had me laugh a few times.
:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #10: Navel Gazing
34. Knife+Heart

A gay movie production in the late 70s is suddenly the target of a masked killer. The director searches for clues giallo-style, while drowning her own sorrows. This was a really solid, really gay modern giallo. I enjoyed it more than I expected to!

SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #13: Maniac
(Rewatch) Halloween III: Season of the Witch

On the big screen! I saw a lot of old horror in theater this year, and it’s fun! I recommend it. Deep down, I don’t think that Halloween III is that good of a movie. But I really enjoy it. I love how mean it is: our drunk misogynist ‘hero’ fails miserably and can’t even save his own kids from the sacrifice. He even loses the girl! The ending is bleak as hell. I love how impossibly complicated the mystery ends up being, what with the robots and the killing masks and the stolen stone from Stonehenge. I love how ridiculously often they play the jingle.

That's all challenges, and 34 new to me movies, done! I may tune in to the Thursday stream if I have time, but I think I'm mostly finished. Fun month as always, thanks to Fran for the thread/challenges and Lurdiak for the great streams!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
14. The Brood - 1979 (Criterion Edition)

:stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stonk:

First time watching it and holy moly what a trip. The therapy scenes were incredible, and that ending... just wow. Just see this if you haven't, I let it slip by for far too long apparently.

5/5

(My letterboxd list: Currently at 28 films total.)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Youtube Movie Marathon Part 6!

#69: Rubber's Lover

Black and white erotic cyberpunk bodyhorror, in the vein of Tetsuo the Iron Man

There is a plot about an internal power struggle in a company that's trying to unleash people's psychic powers, but Rubber's Lover is really about atmosphere and visuals, both of which are excellent. There's a genuine art to cobbling together bits of crap into props and sets, and this movie loving excels at it. Some spray painted goggles and bits of rubber tubing become a hosed up face mask doing god knows what to the unfortunate person wearing it. A dentist's chair and a couple big pipes become a horrifying brain destroying psychic machine.

One negative is that there's a quite long and explicit rape scene early on. The whole movie is about people psycho-sexually violating other people's minds and bodies, so it's not as out of place as rape scenes usually feel. But everything else is heavily filtered through a weird cyberpunk lens. The other scene closest to a regular sex scene is two women masturbating on a bed, but they're using some kind of weird cyberpunk full crotch machines covered in headphone jacks, and the bed is on a giant industrial elevator for some reason. So having just a standard rape scene still stands out. Not a fan.

Rubber's Lover isn't a movie I would or wouldn't recommend. Instead I would simply say the phrase "black and white erotic cyberpunk bodyhorror". Because your reaction to that phrase will be the same as your reaction to the movie.

Another issue is that the subs on Youtube have a ton of typos, so maybe try to find it somewhere else. DVD copies are only 86 dollars on Amazon!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#166) Werewolf in a Girls' Dormitory (1961), a.k.a., Ghoul in a Girl's Dormitory, a.k.a., Monster Among the Girls, a.k.a., I Married a Werewolf, a.k.a., The Ghoul in School
Tubi. Werewolf attacks are happening near a girls' dormitory for ex-cons, there's a blackmail plot, and a new teacher is under suspicion.

An Italian production with decent dubbing, nice blocking and sets, a black-gloved killer, and an attractive cast, this unfortunately comes off as rather lacking in energy. The werewolf costume isn't very good, but they're smart enough to keep full and direct view of it limited. Too bad they can't do the same for the stilted acting, which is put to work for undercooked drama. What a waste of a title.

:spooky: rating: 5/10

"One cannot forget the past when it keeps following you."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
SAMHAIN CHALLENGE: CAVALCADE OF CREEPINESS

Nightmare Cinema

I was happy to be reminded that this one existed because I was having a hard time figuring out a new anthology to watch.

It's....not great. The quality is inconsistent(not an uncommon problem with anthologies), but overall I did enjoy it. One issue with the segments though is that the first one right out of the gate is the best, they only go downhill from there in my opinion. If I could make a change it would probably be to eliminate one of the middle three segments and just go with 4. With the full 5 segments, the movie comes out to a full 2 hours long and it's just not consistently good enough to justify that.

That first segment was really good though, and I'd probably say Nightmare Cinema is worth checking out for that alone. It presents a fairly standard slasher scenario that goes off on a pretty wild tangent about halfway through that I really dug.

Frankenstein

In preparation to complete my final Samhain Challenge(monster mash-up), I had to watch the first two Frankenstein films. At this point, there have been several fairly cheap blu ray sets with these classic Universal films so any horror fan who buys blu rays should own Frankenstein. I've watched this(and Bride) every Challenge for several years now, and all I can really say is that you can feel the weight it's importance as you watch it. Almost every scene has had an influence on some aspect of the horror genre and film in general. Creature make-up, lighting, cinematography, sound design, acting style, there's no aspect of these films that didn't have a hand in defining what film itself would be going forward. It goes without saying that if you haven't seen it, you need to change that immediately, but even if you have these are films that deserve many viewings.

The Bride of Frankenstei

Everything that the original was, just refined to absolute perfection. If there's any criticism you might hear about the film, it's that Lancaster/The Bride gets almost no screentime. But when you look at how effectively nightmarish The Bride is in her short appearance, I think you can argue that less was definitely more in this case.

I think I've mentioned this before in past write-ups, but I absolutely prefer the Karloff make-up here over the original(I know some will disagree with that). The details on it is excellent, and with the added battle damage from what happened at the windwill it just feels more genuinely monstrous to me. The cast is more filled out with excellent character actors as well, like Thesiger's Dr. Pretorious and of course Una O'Connor(it's great to see how many mentions she's had in this thread). I don't think anyone could really argue that this is one of the finest horror films ever made, and coming up on 85 years old it really stands as a Mount Rushmore-level icon of the genre.

Watched: 1. Child's Play(1988) 2. Child's Play(2019) 3. VHS: Viral 4. Tales From the Crypt 5. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #1)Viy 6. House of Frankenstein 7. Van Helsing 8. The Shining 9. Salem's Lot 10. Poltergeist 2: The Other Side 11. Pumpkinhead 2: Blood Wings 12. The Ravenous 13. Alucarda 14. Horror of Dracula 15. Dracula: Prince of Darkness 16. Midsommar 17. Candyman 18. Hellraiser 19. An American Werewolf in London 20. Bad Moon 21. Prince of Darkness 22. The Fog 23. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #2)House of 1000 Corpses 24. The Devil's Rejects 25. 3 From Hell 26. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #4)Crawl 27. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE# 3) Ganja & Hess 28. Aenigma 29. City of the Living Dead 30. Halloween 31. Halloween II 32. Halloween III 33. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers 34. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers 35. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #6)Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers(Producer's Cut) 36. Halloween: H2O 37. Halloween: Resurrection 38. Halloween(2007) 39. Halloween II(2009) 40. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #8) Santa's Slay 41. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #9)The Lawnmower Man 42. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #10)The Mutilator 43. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #5) Pizza 44.(SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #11) The Mangler 45. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #13)The Mummy(1999) 46. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #12)Nightmare Cinema 47. Frankenstein 48. Bride of Frankenstein

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

duz posted:

I feel you, Dr Sleep will be #75 tonight and I can't wait for November and to take a break. It won't be much of a break since there's still new movies coming out but at least I can spread them about.

What/how. I'm going to end with around 20 and I work from home and have movies playing on my second monitor. I could see having done 31 in my situation (some meetings and personal stuff interrupted my watch time), but to do 75 you need to watch on average 2.42 movies a day from October 1st to 31st.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

LifeLynx posted:

What/how. I'm going to end with around 20 and I work from home and have movies playing on my second monitor. I could see having done 31 in my situation (some meetings and personal stuff interrupted my watch time), but to do 75 you need to watch on average 2.42 movies a day from October 1st to 31st.

that’s nothing, Darthemed has watched more than double that number and M_Sinistrari is well over 100 too

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Oct 29-30, 2019

47. Son of Dracula (1943, Robert Siodmak) - 2/5
48. The Invisible Man's Revenge (1944, Ford Beebe) - 2/5
49. The Mummy's Ghost (1944, Reginald Le Borg) - 2.5/5
50. The Mummy's Curse (1944, Leslie Goodwin) - 2.5/5
51. House of Frankenstein (1944, Erle C. Kenton) - 2.5/5
52. House of Dracula (1945, Erle C. Kenton) - 2/5

All Blu-ray

Was going to abandon the Universal monsters, but decided to push along anyways, though I'll be saving the Creature trilogy for a day I can watch the first two in 3-D, a triple feature of Werewolf of London, She-Wolf of London, and An American Werewolf in London, then figure out if the Abbott & Costello movies are worth it (one has Marie Windsor, so I might have to watch).

This is definitely a franchise teetering out by now. Son of Dracula is easily the worst. Lon Chaney is hilariously miscast as Count Alucard (lol), there's baffling plot holes, but some decent effects. Still a dud. Kind of a pity since it's a Siodmak film.

The Invisible Man's Revenge is also pretty bad, with Jon Hall is a completely unlikable role and too much padding. There isn't even any juicy effects stuff until at least halfway through. There is a great role for John Carradine and the effects are actually incredible in this, just too bad it was for a lovely story.

The Mummy's Ghost and The Mummy's Curse aren't terrible, but still padded. You know it's bad when an hour-long film spends 1/5 of its running time recapping the exact same stuff the last two films did. It does have a surprising ending. Curse is a little better, but still has too much baffling plot holes (and another time filler of stock footage from the last few Mummys, even as far to accidentally use a shot of Karloff instead of Tom Tyler). There's also bizarre time issues like there being 25 years between the last two Mummy films, except that would either mean Ghost takes place in the 30s (it doesn't) and Curse takes place in the 60s (obviously doesn't). Lon Chaney is at least creepy as the mummy, but obviously not the same as Karloff in the original. One major issue with Ghost, though, is some really cringey racial stereotypes.

House of Frankenstein isn't great, but it does have the novelty of having Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney, plus John Carradine as Drac! It's a bit nicer in tone and Larry Talbot gets a nice sendoff.

House of Dracula, though, starts off weird - no explanation why Drac's back and it's like the previous film didn't exist. Though, there's some interesting body horror ideas (still hilarious how they seemed dead set on stuff with blood transfusions like a cartoon for the last few films, even if The Ghost of Frankenstein clearly shows what happens if you don't match blood types).

Alright, House on Haunted Hill and Night of the Living Dead tomorrow, then finishing off Halloween night with some short films.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 30, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LifeLynx posted:

I work full time, and it's really not very hard to watch 2-3 movies every day after work. Get home around 5:30, first movie ends sometime between 7 and 8, then it's just a question of if I want to go to bed around 10pm after the second movie or push to midnight and get a third in. Weekends are even easier, I typically wake up and watch a movie right away.

My family and friends are used to me disappearing in October. I literally decline invites to things because I'd rather just go home and watch horror movies.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have a roommate and the Outer Worlds, so my horror has really lacked this season.

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

33. Alice, Sweet Alice (1976)

Haunting little 70s melodrama about a disturbed young girl accused of the murder of her little sister. I feel like the most interesting slasher films are ones like this, Texas Chain Saw, or Black Christmas that were made before the "rules" of the genre were really codified. There's a genuine sense of unpredictability here in how the attacks will play out and who's responsible, as well as lot of attention devoted to characterization and development of theme (in this case, the reliable 70s standby theme that Catholicism Fucks You Up). We're suspicious of Alice even as the film makes clear the amount of neglect, suspicion, and unwanted attention that defines her adolesence. There are missed opportunities here (why do we cut away before we get to hear Alice's confession?) and not every narrative digression pans out but I do recommend this one to anyone interested in the overlap of naturalistic 70s domestic drama and proto-slasher horror.

See-through masks, Catholic iconography, and the way kids run are all terrifying.

3.5/5 :catholic:

34. The Lighthouse (2019)

Basically, the prestige horror version of an episode of Tales from the Crypt. I don't know that this really has Something To Say like the remarkable ending of The Witch but Eggars's formal command and commitment to period detail remains admirable and watching these two actors ham it up is a delight. Maybe not as satisfying as I wanted but makes up for it by being crazier than I expected.

4/5 :yarr:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
31. Prevenge
2016 | dir. Alice Lowe
picked by smitster

Franchescanado posted:

Thanks to Gripweed for designing this torture device

:spooky: Ask for a wild card from someone in this thread, or the CineD Horror Thread.

An excellent horror comedy, and an impressive theatrical debut from the writer, director and star, Alice Lowe.

I wasn't expecting the sense of humor to be as dry and goofy as this is. It's not all jokes and comedy, but there's plenty here to give you a Sensible Chuckle.

What I really find excellent about this film--besides the excellent direction, cinematography and music--is that it takes a premise that would be a standard slasher fare (I Know What You Did Last Summer, for instance) where the central mystery is "who is the killer?" and instead flips it's focal character to the killer, Ruth, and makes the cause of her rampage the mystery. What makes this work so well is that the central mystery--What has happened to Ruth believe her unborn baby is asking her to kill?--is completely explained by the end with just enough story. It doesn't indulge itself in over-explaining things.

There's a few hiccups along the way, for sure, but overall I had a great time with this one. Absolutely eye-catching cinematography, a fun sense of humor, and an engaging character ready to kill.

Recommended

Movies Watched: Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom | Annihilation | Evil Bong 2 | Overlord | Dead of Night | The Ruins | Under Wraps | Attack The Block | Don't Go In The Woods | Body Snatchers | Island of Lost Souls | Village of the Damned (1960) | Wrinkles the Clown | The Dead Zone | The Fog | One Cut of the Dead | Ma | The Devil Rides Out | Halloweentown | 3 From Hell | The Neon Slime Mixtape | Frenzy | Bride of Frankenstein | Halloween | The Skin I Live In | The Little Vampire | The House That Screamed | Hell Night | Hocus Pocus | The Lighthouse | Prevenge
Rewatches: 9
Total: 31

Edgar Wright's 100 Favorite Horror: 7/20
Super Samhain Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Basebf555 posted:

I work full time, and it's really not very hard to watch 2-3 movies every day after work. Get home around 5:30, first movie ends sometime between 7 and 8, then it's just a question of if I want to go to bed around 10pm after the second movie or push to midnight and get a third in. Weekends are even easier, I typically wake up and watch a movie right away.

My family and friends are used to me disappearing in October. I literally decline invites to things because I'd rather just go home and watch horror movies.

Yeah that was basically my schedule, make dinner while watching the first movie, after the second movie decide if I wanted to stay up late and watch a third. On the weekends watch between two and six each day depending on if I was going out with friends or not.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#167) Bigfoot (1970), a.k.a., King Kongs Son, a.k.a., Big Foot
Tubi. Bikers battle Bigfoot over babes in bikinis; also, baby Bigfoot.

Silly and light, but with enough of an energetic shooting style to carry me along with the nonsense, at least for the first half hour or so. Then it started to draaaaaag, with nothing much happening. The upbeat bluegrass/honky-tonk soundtrack was corny, but fit with the mood. Man, just nothing really happens in this movie after Bigfoot kidnaps the women. Guys wander around in the woods, look at footprints, eventually find the women. But nothing of excitement or suspense happens in those events. Thing is, it maintains enough of a cheerful atmosphere that I wasn't even mad about nothing happening, just mildly disappointed. And then the ending flops into place, and it's over. Darn.

:spooky: rating: 4/10

"All outdoor sequences were actually filmed at various mountainous locations where "BIGFOOT" has been documented and reportedly seen by several individuals."

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Thanks to Gripweed for designing this torture device

:spooky: Ask for a wild card from someone in this thread, or the CineD Horror Thread.

#37. The Seventh Curse (Prime) - Assigned by Lumbermouth

Dr. Yuen - brilliant doctor, rich playboy, martial arts master, world class adventurer and all-around greatest human being ever - is stricken with a blood curse after coming into conflict with an evil Thai tribe of ninjas. With only seven days to live, Yuen and a small group of friends must travel to Thailand, find the magical cure for his curse, and defeat both the evil sorcerer who leads the tribe and the reincarnation of his god, a super-strong skeleton that can turn into a gigantic flying lizard monster.

Holy hell, this movie is bonkers in the most wonderful, glorious way. It's brimming with wild ideas and images and packed with martial arts action scenes that break out every time the movie threatens to get even a little bit stale. The plot is a mishmash, but you're not here for the story, you're here to see Chin Siu-Ho fight a Spirit store plastic skeleton, a guy in a knockoff Godzilla costume and about a million nameless ninja grunts. (If that sentence doesn't do anything for you, you're not gonna enjoy this movie.)

It's more of an action movie than a horror movie, but there are plenty of horror elements sprinkled throughout, namely the aforementioned skeleton puppet and big old suit monster. There is one horror element that kinda goes uncommented on, which is that the two lead heroes do kinda fail one of their side missions, since a whole village worth of children apparently gets ground up so their blood can be used to resurrect the skeleton again.

Also, I do kinda have to ding the movie for not having more Chow Yun-Fat in it - if you're gonna put the guy in the poster and give him top billing, make sure he does more than stand around to drop exposition and look dapper. I did like that he ended up showing up to kill the monster at the end with a deus-ex-rocket-launcher, even if that does up sidelining Siu-Ho as the hero in his own movie.

Overall, this movie is a glorious bug nuts time and I can't thank Lumbermouth enough for recommending it to me. Seek it out, you won't be disappointed.

:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:/5

Watched so far: The Curse of Frankenstein, Villains, Horror of Dracula, You're Next, House on Haunted Hill (1959), Halloween 4, Army of Darkness, A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), The Fly (1986), Joker, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, Beyond the Gates, The First Purge, Rodan, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Halloween II (1981), The Addams Family (2019), The Mummy (1932), Jason X, It Stains the Sands Red, The Invisible Man (1933), Zombieland, Terrified, A Nightmare on Elm Street 3, Chopping Mall, Halloween 6, Thirteen Ghosts (2001), The Wolf Man (1941), Brainscan, The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975), Pet Sematary (2019), Insidious, Wounds, Body Bags, House of Dracula, The Seventh Curse

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This has been the hardest challenge for me yet. Just an incredibly busy month. I foolishly tried to do Inktober as well, but I just didn't have enough time or energy to get past a dozen drawings.

I'm not done with movies, though. I'm seeing Evil Dead's 4k restoration in theaters tonight, which should be awesome. And there's also tomorrow.

Friendly reminder:

:spooky: Deadlines for reviews is November 1st @ 1PM EST. :spooky:

That means if you watched any movies Halloween night (or November 1st morning, technically), you'll need your reviews posted by the deadline.

Final thoughts and a recap of your experiences with the challenge can be posted after the deadline.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Youtube Movie Marathon Part 7!

#70: Death of a Ghost Hunter

holy crap that's bad.

Death of a Ghost Hunter is a machine created to deliver the worst writing performed by the worst acting as fast as possible.

Every single actor is terrible. And every line of dialogue is also terrible. And there's so much of it. They all talk so much. And when they aren't talking, the voice over kicks in. The opening voice over segment is genuinely a solid ten minutes long, and the poor terrible actress reading it has to talk so fast to get it all out in time.

There are other things you could criticize about Death of a Ghost Hunter. Such as everything. But they all pale in comparison in the sheer deluge of godawful talking.

One positive thing I can say about it: it does eventually end. Which I wasn't sure about. It felt like every minute was ten seconds longer than the one before it. After a while I started to think maybe this was going to be forever. Maybe I was going to spend the rest of my life watching Death of a Ghost Hunter. But it [i]did[i] end. And I will be eternally grateful for that

I wouldn't recommend Death of a Ghost Hunter.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Just a completely miserable experience.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#168) Housebound (2014)
Tubi. Juvenile offender is placed under house arrest, notices her home seems to have a bit of a ghost problem, tries to come to terms with it.

Geez, New Zealand turns out some great horror comedies. This movie surprised me time after time with its developments, and the tone rode the lines between mystery, creepy, and funny with impressive skill. Fleshed-out characters, good shooting, good lighting, sharp dialogue, wonderful performances, and just a few jump-scares. Don't wanna talk too much about plot pieces and spoil it for those who haven't seen it, but this was great, and (in a good way) totally not what I expected before-hand.

:spooky: rating: 8/10

"Aren't you lucky, Kylie? Having all that fancy technology on your foot. Quite spoilt."

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
#28 The Boxer's Omen (1983)

Wow, this movie rules! Goopy and gross, goofy and fun, what an awesome experience. It hits its stride quick and never really lets up. I did find out the hard way that it's a bit of a bad idea to watch this while eating anything, but that's my own fault.

Really really loved the movie's focus on rituals. I'm used to seeing this stuff glossed over or maybe featured once or twice, but here they're nearly the entire focus and it's great. I can't speak to how much any of this stuff is rooted in actual myth, but it all felt extremely well thought out, and every single ritual or ceremony we see is suitably different from the ones previous and a standout in its own way. Also, the ritual fight in the middle of the film reminded me a lot of that one sequence in The Wailing, though obviously with a different tone.

Throughout this entire movie I kept cycling through feeling delighted at some of the more charming effects and critters, feeling disgusted at some of the more disgusting ones, and being impressed with the legitimately neat and creative effects. This movie is quite the effects showcase, and there are definitely complaints to be made about the plot, but for the most part I thought the framing added to the experience way more than it ended up detracting from it or confusing it. The biggest thing I would warn people about is animal death. For the most part all the animals are either kept alive or are obvious puppets, but there are instances where you do actually see dead animals (one in particular where you see a chicken's head get cut off, though it isn't clear to me if it was already dead when that shot was filmed). It doesn't feel exploitative in the way these sorts of things often can, but it's there and I know that really bothers some people.

Otherwise this is tons of fun and a real treat. Absolutely go check it out as long as you're okay with being grossed out.

Watched (28/31): #1 Gozu (2003), #2 Spider Baby or, the Maddest Story Ever Told (1967), #3 Viy (1967), #4 Mondo Cane (1962), #5 Dark Water (2002), #6 Blood and Black Lace (1964), #7 Daughters of Darkness (1971), #8 Sliders of Ghost Town: Origins (2016), #9 One Cut of the Dead (2017), #10 Possum (2018), #11 EGG. (2005), #12 Adventures of Electric Rod Boy (1987), #13 House of 1000 Corpses (2003), #14 Ganja and Hess (1973), #15 Q (1982), #16 Hungry Stones (1960), #17 The Ruins (2008), #18 The Lighthouse (2019), #19 Pulgasari (1985), #20 Halloween (2018), #21 Freddy vs. Jason (2003), #22 The Phantom Carriage (1921), #23 Resident Evil (2002), #24 The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires (1974), #25 It (2017), #26 Tales from the Hood (1995), #26b Tokyo Gore Police (2008), #27 The Oily Maniac (1976), #28 The Boxer's Omen (1983)
Challenges (13/13): #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My schedule's basically been similar to others. Get home from work, watch a movie, go watch some baseball and socialize, watch another movie before bed. Days with no baseball and/or work I tried to get as many movies in. I actually kept track of what movies I watched on what day this year to keep a schedule and I basically had a lot of 0-2 movie day until the 18th. That's when I got worried about not finishing and I started squeezing in 3-4 a day somehow.

A lot of it is just not watching anything else. Baseball was my only alternative viewing this month so I have a DVR full of tv.

It also helps to be an insomniac.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The NBA season starting definitely killed a few nights for my watching schedule. There were nights where the game ended around 9:30, but I was too tired to watch a movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Requesting papal dispensation on reviews due to having my head literally cut open

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I specifically built my boards study schedule around this week cause I knew nothing was getting done. Been grinding doodles from dawn til dusk and re-energizing my dumb brain.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Timby posted:

Requesting papal dispensation on reviews due to having my head literally cut open

Only if your first review is for your own surgery video

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Timby posted:

Watch all the craziest movies while hosed up on painkillers.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

feedmyleg posted:

Watch all the craziest movies while hosed up on painkillers.

According to my fiance, when I was in the hospital for sepsis and was on the high octane antibiotics and painkillers I sat through Annabelle. Considering I'd told him before that I'd rather die than sit through a Conjureverse movie and I was smiling while watching the movie, he was worried I might not make it. I have no memory of watching the movie but have the vague sense the sets were nice.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

36) One Cut of the Dead (2017) - watched on Shudder
No trailer because it spoils the poo poo out of the movie

:siren:SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #10: Navel Gazing:siren: Watch a horror movie you haven't seen that you discovered from this year's challenge thread.

A film crew making a low-budget zombie movie suddenly have to fight for their lives when *real* zombies start attacking them...and the director wants to keep the camera rolling.

Obligatory "go in cold if you haven't seen it" disclaimer.

Pretty sure it's thread law that everyone see this, so here's my take: I don't think I'm quite as excited about it as a lot of other people were, but it is very warm, unexpected and clever. The middle part is slow (by design) but it all ties up nicely in the end.

Obligatory spoiler including the name of some other media that it reminded me of and might spoil you so help you God: It felt like "Noises Off" but with a zombie movie instead of a British sex farce. Oh, and *POM*

37) The Night Flier (1997) - watched on YouTube
Trailer

:siren:SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #11: All Hail The King:siren: Watch a Stephen King adaptation that you haven't seen.

Sleazy, cynical tabloid reporter Richard Dees investigates a string of murders at small airports committed by someone who's draining the blood of their victims. Dees believes this potential serial killer (who he's dubbed "The Night Flier") is a pilot who thinks he's a vampire, but gets more than he bargained for when he learns the killer's true nature...and ignores the killer's warnings to stay away from the story.

Well, as far as I'm concerned this is firmly in the "good King adaptations" column. This was a really nice surprise considering what a lot of King's filmed '90s output ended up like. The late, great Miguel Ferrer (who if you recall also played Lloyd in King's "The Stand" miniseries) is utterly fantastic as Dees, an amoral scumbag who will do anything - including loving over co-workers and other innocent people and being a blatantly criminal dick - to get his stories. It's also got a grotesque (if a tad silly) vampire design courtesy of KNB, who do a lot of great work here, especially in the climax of the film.

The film builds nicely as we follow Dees' investigative work (and that of a newly hired rival at the tabloid he works for) as he tracks the Night Flier, and there's some definite King moments in these (dat Maine accent). The last 20 minutes or so where Dees finally tracks his quarry down is truly shocking and creepy and also includes one of the funniest "can't see the vampire in the mirror" bits I've seen. It's maybe a little too on-the-nose when it comes to the moral of the story The Night Flier offers to let Dees go, because he recognizes that Dees is just as much of a monster as he is...and the vampire actually mourns the loss of his human side while Dees embraces his dark side to live, but it's enjoyable nonetheless.

StormOfDarkness
Oct 16, 2012

We know how to sing but we don't know how to handle money or women. Do-wap. do do wop.

I got sick, I got lazy, I got busy. I did not stop watching horror movies.

20. Dude bro party Massacre (2015)
After being massacred twice by motherface, Dude Bro Brock is killed. His twin brother infiltrates the dude bros to avenge his brother and stop the massacres once and for all.
This is a parody of the typical 80’s slashes, and it’s ok. There are plenty of jokes, and some are funny. Overall it’s a fine film and entertaining, but I didn’t love it.

5/10 Orange Kit Kats

21. Chopping Mall (Aka killbots) (1986)
Park Plaza mall has a new innovation, robot security guards. The night they are introduced, a bunch of friends decide to throw a party in the mall, because it’s the 80’s. And then the 3 bots go haywire, and start killing them off, but politely saying “Have a nice day” after the kill.
This is a fairly by the numbers 80’s slasher, but with likable and smart characters who actually fight back from near the start. The soundtrack is also upbeat 80’s music, which really helps keep the energy of the movie up. If you like 80’s slashers like I do, highly recommend, otherwise there’s no real reason to watch this movie.

6/10 Orange Kit Kats

22. Deep Red (1975)
Marcus is a Jazz Pianist who works at a local club, when walking home one day he sees a murder. He and his reporter friend, Gianna, decide to take the case into their own hands because otherwise there wouldn't be a movie. But as the bodies start to pile up and he becomes the number one suspect, he must find the real killer quick.
This italian classic is ahead of its time in many, many ways. Gianna is a pretty big feminist who doesn’t take any of Marcus’s crap and is easily the best charcter in the movie. Marcus’s best friend Carlos is gay, and it’s not really relevent to his character almost at all. Plus it has a great mystery, has plenty of spooky moments, and a jazz soundtrack throughout the entire movie. The movie could cut down half an hour of runtime and not lose much, except the jazz, so I’m fine with it being a bit long.

9/10 Orange Kit Kats

23. The Furies (2019)
Kayla and her friend are kidnapped and are put in the middle of the woods, and they are being stalked by men trying to kill them. Except one of these “Beasts” has to protect their “Beauty,” and the last pair wins.
This movie has an interesting premise and some great gore, but doesn't do a whole lot with it. There are some good moments, but overall it’s fine.

5/10 Orange Kit Kats

24. Killer Klowns From Outer Space (1988)
Mike and Debby are making out when they see a meteor falling towards earth, and decide to go investigate. What they find is a circus tent, but when they investigate, it’s a spaceship filled with alien Klowns who turn people into cotton candy to eat. They team up with Debby’s ex Dave who has joined the police to try to stop these Killer Klowns before they kill everyone.
This movie is amazing. Every clown joke you can think of is thrown in, and they all work due to great comedic timing. The Klowns kill people in the best ways possible, from zapping them to make them cotton candy, to using shadow puppets to eat people. The best character, Deputy Curtis Mooney, is great because he believes the whole thing is a hoax, even after getting 100’s of phone calls about it AND seeing a Klown. Some people would put this in a so bad it’s good category, but they’re wrong. There’s nothing bad about this movie, it’s a thrill from beginning to end, and it’s pg-13 rating makes it fun for the whole family.

10/10 Orange Kit Kats

25. Hell House LLC (2015)
I don’t like found footage films, but every once in a while there’s one I like. Hell House LLC has a great framing device. It’s a documentary about the tragedy that happened at the Abbadon hotel. And then one member of Hell House, presumed dead, shows up and gives the documentary crew tapes of what happened. The Hell House crew find a spooky building in Abbadon, and decide to make it a haunted house. But things slowly start going wrong, with props moving, weird noises, people sleepwalking. But the show must go on.
This is a slow burn, but worth it. It’s genuinely scary and haunting. The twist at the end is very well done. Overall one of the better found footage films.

8/10 Orange Kit Kats

26. Downrange (2017)
A bunch of teens are carpooling together, when they get stranded on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. . Then the sniping starts, and they realize an insane psychopath is trying to pick them off one by one, in a very specific spot where they don’t get cell signal. They must try to survive until help arrives, if it arrives.
What makes this movie so spectacular is that for almost the entire running time the cast is hiding behind a car, and it’s never dull or boring. It’s tense as hell, knowing an insane man is one shot away from killing someone. The characters are all great. And the last act is amazing, ramping up the action after some very slow build up. However if you want a happy movie, this movie is anything but.

9/10 Orange Kit Kats

27. Jack Frost (1997)
Jack Frost, a human serial killer, is being transported for execution. However after crashing into genetic research truck, he mutates into a snowman who decides to go back to serial killing, but as a snowman. Sam, a small town sheriff, must catch Jack Frost again, but this time it will be a lot harder.
This movie is bad, but in a charming way. There was no budget, with Jack himself almost never moving. They get around this by “He can melt and reform anywhere.” People attack Jack with blow dryers. Jack Makes the worst snow puns when he kills someone. Scott MacDonald gives it his all as Jack. Overall, It’s worth watching, but it’s not good.

3/10 Orange Kit Kats

28. Chain Letter (2010)
Pass on a chain Letter or you’ll get killed by a madman with actual chains.
This movie is awful in every way and not worth talking about. If the premise sounds like it could be fun, don’t worry, it’s not. Everything about it tries to bore you. Also I deleted every memory of it after I watched it. This movie physically hurt to watch, so I guess that’s something.

0/10 Orange Kit Kats

29. Cemetery Man (1994)
Francesco Dellamorte is a caretaker at a cemetery, but has a problem, the dead come back to life. Of course no one would believe him, so he just deals with them himself, annoyed. Also he’s looking for love. Also he’s going crazy.
And this movies a mess with like three seperate movies tried to be crammed together with no cohesion. Subplots are introduced and dropped. But it’s not a bad movie. Rupert Everett as Dellamorte is great, with a dry sense of humor and no nonsense attitude dealing with the undead is a blast to watch. Gnaghi, Dellamorte’s simple minded assistant, is an absolute delight and foil to the dole Dellamorte. Plus any movie with a talking zombie head that attacks people can’t be all bad. It’s just too bad this movie script wasn't tightened up a bit. Or a lot.

6/10 Orange Kit Kats

30. Train To Busan (2016)
Another review, another zombie movie. I’m sick of these. Why did I watch this…

Seok-woo is a bad father, works a lot, and has no time for people. His daughter, Su-an, wants to go to Busan for her birthday to see her mom. Seok-woo is busy, but relents and decides to take her to Busan. But on the train (To Busan), there is a zombie outbreak. Seak-woo must protect his daughter, and band together with the other ragtag survivors and make it to Busan.
This movie is great and is probably the greatest zombie movie of the decade. The zombies are there, but it’s not about zombies. It’s about humans. Seak-woo has a great arc, as do most of the supportive cast. He goes from deadbeat dad to father of the year. Thank you Train to Busan, for doing something interesting with zombies. Well with zombies around, they mostly do zombie things.

9/10 Orange Kit Kats

30.5 Spirited Away (2001)
Chihiro and her parents are going to live in a new town, when they take a detour and explore a tunnel. Chihiro’s parents get turned into pigs, and Chihiro must integrate herself into the spirit world to not be eaten and save her parents.
Yes, Spirited Away is not a Horror movie, but Miyazaki’s classic is an October staple, with a unique and wonderful story. With great animation, a great soundtrack, great character designs and characters, it’s just great. If you somehow haven't seen this movie, you need to. I’m not going to even rate this movie, because it’s just on a whole other level than pretty much any other movie.

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017
#28: Tigers Are Not Afraid (2017)
Watched on Shudder

I quite liked this, similar feel to Devil's Backbone. I quite liked the kids acting for the most part, normally that feels like the aspect that lets these movies down. The setting felt real and vibrant, lived in, not purely a movie set. Too many supernatural bits felt overly digital, which is a shame knowing that more time/money could have improved the look somewhat, at least in my opinion. That said, the movie really stands on its own regardless of that, it's a strong movie despite its flaws, and to be honest, they're the kinds of flaws that will likely grow on my with rewatches. At it's core, TANA is a great horror flick made with care and a strong vision from its writer director. I look forward to more from Issa Lopez!

:spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

#29: Evil Bong (2009)
Watched on Tubi

I can't say it's charmless, but this wasn't for me, regardless of how baked I got. Repetitive kills, dull characters, schtick that didn't land, and cardboard acting/sets, I don't think I'll be returning to Bong World.

:spooky:.5/5

Watched: 1. From Beyond 2. Evil Dead 3. Phantasm 4. Candyman 5. Phenomena 6. Boar 7. Mandy 8. A Quiet Place 9. The Crazies 10. Friday the 13th 11. Ginger Snaps 12. The Collector 13. Body Bags 14. The Lost Boys 15. The Devil's Rejects 16. Slugs 17. The Midnight Meat Train 18. House of 1000 Corpses 19. Final Prayer/The Borderlands 20. Lake Mungo 21. High Tension 22. Castle Freak 23. Suspiria 24. Suspiria 25. Chopping Mall 26. The Lighthouse 27. The VVitch 28. Tigers Are Not Afraid 29. Evil Bong

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

StormOfDarkness posted:

28. Chain Letter (2010)
Pass on a chain Letter or you’ll get killed by a madman with actual chains.
This movie is awful in every way and not worth talking about. If the premise sounds like it could be fun, don’t worry, it’s not. Everything about it tries to bore you. Also I deleted every memory of it after I watched it. This movie physically hurt to watch, so I guess that’s something.

Yup. I often consider this one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

weekly font posted:

I specifically built my boards study schedule around this week cause I knew nothing was getting done. Been grinding doodles from dawn til dusk and re-energizing my dumb brain.

This is why my challenge is always one movie a day for the thirty-one days. Even on the worst of days I have been able to block out an hour and fifteen for a quick movie. It also prevents me from going nuts and watching horror non-stop for the month (which happened to me on Saturday as I tried to complete my second challenge). It's easier to pace yourself than go on a horror spree.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mostly regret loading too many challenges on my table because I definitely forced myself to watch more than I was in the mood for the last few weeks to match it. I underestimated how much harder 37 years would be to 31, plus the 10 Halloweens. But I also enjoyed most of what I watched and have some buffer space so I don't have to watch anything tonight if I don't want to. So I enjoyed my October.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Youtube Movie Marathon Part 8!

#71: Cult

Cult owns.

This is my third Koji Shiraishi movie, and they have all been fantastic. Cult, like Occult, does really great stuff with the simplest special effects possible. Literally just a black line. And it looks great and weird and spooky. He goes a little bit overboard with them, the tons of tentacles shots look a little fake. But it's not a big deal.

I love that moment in the beginning when the first priest does a quick exorcism on one of the women. A really simple practical effect, but it quickly establishes that this is all real, we aren't loving around with any of that "is the psychic a phony? were the ghosts real?" nonsense. We've got demons to deal with.

Basically everything I said about Occult and Curse apply here too. Great acting, great story, great use of limited effects.

There's just one thing.

About halfway through, they meet a new psychic. He is played by Ryosuke Miura. Ryosuke Miura also played Ankh in Kamen Rider OOO. The best character in my favorite Kamen Rider, the series that got me into Tokusatsu. Not only is it the same actor, he also has bleached hair, and plays a very similar character. When he started telling people to shut up, I lost my poo poo. So any statement I give about Cult is going to be heavily biased, because it's got Ankh in it!

Curse is a great movie, I strongly recommend it to everyone, and I extremely strongly recommend it to Kamen Rider fans.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna be busy the next few days so here's my

:ghost:Final Tally and Recommendations:ghost:

Doing the cycles really made this much simpler for me, as I didn't have to try and choose between everything that was available and could avoid procrastinating by setting a specific goal for each day. Indian cinema continues to be an enjoyable trip, though I'll be exploring the non-horror options for a while (There are some wild looking action and historical fiction options freely available on Netflix and AmaPrime.) I'd recommend people interested in horror from India try out Game Over, Tumbbad, and maybe the last half of Dora - if you're not fond of long flashbacks (a staple) or musical numbers, Tumbbad is the most like a "traditional" film in that regard.

The challenges were a fun disruptive element, and took me to some movies I wouldn't have run into otherwise. Thanks to Fran and the thread for a great month of scares, and have a safe and spooky Halloween.

Recommended (and where I got them):
Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Kino DVD)
L'Inferno (Youtube)
Creature from the Black Lagoon (Amazon rental)
Son of Frankenstein (Amazon rental)
Occult (Youtube)
One Cut of the Dead (Shudder)
The Host (Tubi)
Game Over (Netflix)
Candyman (Netflix)
Nightbreed (Amazon Prime)
Lord of Illusions (Amazon Prime)
Knife + Heart (Shudder)
Us (Amazon rental)
People Under the Stairs (Amazon rental)
Tigers Are Not Afraid (Shudder)

Total Reviews: 36/31
Samhain Challenges: 13/13
Challenge #1: Son of Frankenstein
Challenge #2: Hatchet III
Challenge #3: Us
Challenge #4: Stree
Challenge #5: P
Challenge #6: Ju-on: The Grudge 2
Challenge #7: Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy
Challenge #8: Rare Exports: A Christmas Story
Challenge #9: Friend Request
Challenge #10: Spookies (Thanks again to Friends are Evil)
Challenge #11: The Masque of the Red Death
Challenge #12: XX
Challenge #13: Sleepy Hollow

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

35. Halloween (2007)
(re-watch)
(blu-ray)

I love Halloween, and I love Rob Zombie, but this remake is kind of a mess. The biggest departure that Zombie makes from John Carpenter's original film is that he gives Michael a rather extensive backstory. Carpenter showed us just enough to establish that Michael killed his sister for no real reason, while Zombie gives us 40 goddamn minutes of Michael as a stupid little kid. He gets bullied at school, his parents fight, and he likes to kill animals. After he goes on his killing spree, we get a bunch of scenes of him in therapy with Dr. Loomis. Eventually, the film gets around to an adult Michael escaping from the sanitarium, and from there it feels more like a standard remake.

The main problem with all the young Michael stuff isn't that it's bad - it's that it feels totally disconnected from the rest of the film. Giving him a backstory isn't necessarily a bad idea, but all that really comes out of that 40 minutes is "he's evil and Laurie is his sister". I can go either way on Laurie being his sister, but I don't think it adds much here. I mean, how did he even know she was his sister in the first place? It's like two different films crammed together - on their own, either could've worked, but instead it sort of feels like the studio forced Zombie to stick to a relatively faithful remake when he really just wanted to do his own thing.

This isn't all bad, though. I forgot how many great genre actors are in this - Malcolm McDowell, Brad Dourif, Danny Trejo, Sheri Moon Zombie (of course), Udo Kier, Ken Foree, Bill Moseley, Sid Haig, and Clint Howard all appear both in major roles and cameos. Even when the film stumbles, it's fun to see all these actors doing their thing. Zombie also does brutal violence very well, and Michael Myers in this film is definitely brutal and intimidating (as an adult, at least).

I'd call this an interesting failure. It's got enough good elements that it's worth watching, but as a remake of one of the most beloved and important horror films in history, it drops the ball.

Also when Scout Taylor-Compton has her glasses on she looks exactly like a girl I dated in college, it's kind of weird to watch.

3/5

Total: 35
Watched: Dead of Night | Child's Play (2019) | Escape Room | Hell Night | The Wind | Evil Dead (2013) | Cure (Challenge #1) | Tigers Are Not Afraid | The Craft | Tower of London | In Fabric | Popcorn | Cube | Uninvited | Galaxy of Terror (Challenge #2) | Brightburn | Body Bags | The Tingler | The Wax Mask | Cube 2: Hypercube | Dark Water (2002) | The Ruins (Challenge #4) | Viy | The Haunting | Bones (Challenge #3) | A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) (Challenge #6) | November (Challenge #5) | The Monster Squad (Challenge #7) | April Fool's Day (Challenge #8) | Fido (Challenge #10) | In the Tall Grass (Challenge #11) | Trilogy of Terror (Challenge #12) | The Lighthouse | Resident Evil (Challenge #9) | Halloween (2007)
Samhain Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

13. Pet Sematary (2019) (Netflix DVD) :spooky: Super Samhain Challenge #6 - Sometimes They Come Back :spooky:

"God can get His own loving kid." - Louis Creed

Unlike the 2019 Child's Play, this remake doesn't really do anything different with the story other than having the daughter be the one to get killed. I did kind of like that fake out, but it doesn't redeem the work as a whole.

Jason Clarke and John Lithgow give decent performances and I did like some of the visuals, such as the end shot.

All in all I guess this is worth watching once. I had originally intended to rewatch the original as well, but the used copy I picked up for cheap is too scratched up, even after a cleaning.

2.5/5

14. Orphan (2009) - Rewatch (DVD)

"Stop talking to me like I'm a child!" - Esther

If the Maniac challenge would have been posted before I watched this I probably would have used this movie, as I feel the consensus is down on it, but I like it.

The movie concerns a couple adopting an orphan to fill the gap in their family after a miscarriage. Isabelle Fuhrman plays Esther, the orphan in question, who is really a grown woman with a hormone disorder.

Once things ramp up they really do, and there are some good disturbing scenes.

3.5/5