Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

euphronius posted:

What studies

Also trials aren’t “statement and demeanor alone “ so you are already straw manning

Look, when most of the studies, articles and literature start with statements like "Decades of research has shown that people are poor at detecting lies." (https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2011-13176-001), Google searches for "why are humans good at detecting deception" come up with articles like these as the first hits "The End of Detecting Deception" (https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/spycatcher/201807/the-end-detecting-deception), you kinda should take it just about as read as that hiring a professional to field most legal matter is a good idea.

Note that research has shown that training apparently does have a slight to medium positive effect (e.g. https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=499535889, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/1068316x.2010.535820) but the positive impact was heavily dependent on the precise training in question, the type of lie told etc and ultimately turned people from as good as chance to statistically slightly better than change. Law enforcement officials routinely overestimate their ability to detect liars.

Also, lol at "Also trials aren’t “statement and demeanor alone “ " given the number of trials which turned on witness evidence alone or the high number of instances, trials and otherwise, when it is simply one person's word against another's. Not to mention all the jury follow up interviews where it becomes clear that the ruling hinged on the jury's impression of a witness. Yeah, sometimes the police and prosecutors have someone dead to rights. They have a mycrimes.txt written by the defendant or a clear video of the crime and the defendant stupidly staring at the camera but often is also comes down to how credibly expert witnesses, prosecutors, etc come across. It's part of the reason why there are some pretty tight rules about closing arguments etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hmm. I totally disagree and think I’m right . You can’t hand waive away the context and evidence in a trial which informs people’s intuitions in addition to demeanor on the stand.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

euphronius posted:

Hmm. I totally disagree and think I’m right . You can’t hand waive away the context and evidence in a trial which informs people’s intuitions in addition to demeanor on the stand.
In your estimation, what sort of percentage of "correctly decided the trial" would be useful evidence that jurors/court officiers are good at distinguishes lies from truths?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

twodot posted:

In your estimation, what sort of percentage of "correctly decided the trial" would be useful evidence that jurors/court officiers are good at distinguishes lies from truths?

Why are you using scare quotes around “correctly deciding the trial”

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

Why are you using scare quotes around “correctly deciding the trial”
I was marking it as a verb phrase. Like I wanted readers to understand that "correctly deciding the trial" was a distinct phrase from "would be useful evidence"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you want to nitpick jurors probably gently caress up criminal trials for obvious reasons

I wasn’t taking about criminal trials and usually don’t as I have no knowledge of them

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

If you want to nitpick jurors probably gently caress up criminal trials for obvious reasons

I wasn’t taking about criminal trials and usually don’t as I have no knowledge of them
Jurors loving up criminal trials seems like a really bad fact for the idea that jurors are good at knowing who is lying.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
What is your solution for replacing jurors? The judge who is thinking about his next election?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

twodot posted:

Jurors loving up criminal trials seems like a really bad fact for the idea that jurors are good at knowing who is lying.

Jury criminal trials are a minuscule part of law. In the universe of trials and hearings and arbs, they probably make up 1% of cases . Maybe less

Anyways I’d argue that jurors loving up criminal cases is not really about them trusting the wrong person based on some careful balancing and weighing and you know that . That’s not what I’m talking about

As I said they probably gently caress up criminal cases . I wasn’t talking about that.

So I admit for the things you want to talk about you are right but I wasn’t talking about that .

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

nm posted:

What is your solution for replacing jurors? The judge who is thinking about his next election?
I don't have a better solution in my pocket, it's just that someone posted a bunch of evidence that people are bad at knowing who is lying, and euphronius' response was literally:

euphronius posted:

Well it turns out we have really good evidence the people who participate in the context and evidence in a trial still gently caress it up, so it's no real argument against "people suck at identifying liars".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No I disagree.

They gently caress up trials but that’s not what I was talking about

You are making a leap and backwards thinking that jurors loving up crim trials means they can’t tell if someone is lying and that is a big old assumption that I’m not following. They probably know people are lying and don’t care.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 30, 2019

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

No I disagree.

They gently caress up trials but that’s not what I was talking about

You are making a leap and backwards thinking that jurors loving up crim trials means they can’t tell if someone is lying and that is a big old assumption that I’m not following. They probably know people are lying and don’t care.
I can't parse a distinction between "people know who is lying and do actions independent of who is lying" and "people don't know who is lying and do actions independent of who is lying". Like how do you go about measuring that?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

twodot posted:

I can't parse a distinction between "people know who is lying and do actions ignoring that knowledge" and "people don't know who is lying and do actions independent of who is lying". Like how do you go about measuring that?

You are using the proposition that jurys gently caress up crim trials to support the assertion that people are bad at telling who is lying

I don’t agree that you can make that leap because jurys are probably loving up verdicts for lots of reasons. Ie the verdict is reached notwithstanding the fact the the cop is lying and everyone knows it . Or the judge hamstrung the PD. Or the PD hosed it up. Or the defender was railroaded by a false test results. And so on and so on

That is a totally separate (tho incredibly important ) issue from what I was talking about which was stupid administrative hearings over 4,000$ in unemployment benefits in front of neutral officers. There (and in other civil hearing that may involve lay fact finders) it has been my experience that they have been reasonably good at parsing credibility . Obviously if you put 300 years of white supremacist prejudice on top of everything like you have in criminal cases most of the time then you will get worse results .

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

That is a totally separate (tho incredibly important ) issue from what I was talking about which was stupid administrative hearings over 4,000$ in unemployment benefits in front of neutral officers. There (and in other civil hearing that may involve lay fact finders) it has been my experience that they have been reasonably good at parsing credibility . Obviously if you put 300 years of white supremacist prejudice on top of everything like you have in criminal cases most of the time then you will get worse results .
The poster that you replied to gave you evidence that people trained in recognizing deception only barely did better, and also routinely over estimated their ability to detect deception.
edit:
Also how did you manage to measure their goodness at parsing credibility? The frequency that they agreed with you?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

twodot posted:

The poster that you replied to gave you evidence that people trained in recognizing deception only barely did better, and also routinely over estimated their ability to detect deception.

Were those tests done in the context of a trial where the people had the context of an entire record of evidence to use including the testimony of other people or where they one off events done by graduate students in a social science lab.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

Were those tests done in the context of a trial where the people had the context of an entire record of evidence to use including the testimony of other people or where they one off events done by graduate students in a social science lab.
How about you begin by telling us how you ran your tests that led you to the conclusion that:

euphronius posted:

it has been my experience that they have been reasonably good at parsing credibility .
?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What are you confused about.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

nm posted:

Let me let out yet another hearty guffaw at the concept of elected judges.

In many cases impartial professional third parties like (non-elected) judges and arbitrators do do a better job than untrained, naive jurors. Judging by his posts that the system euphronius seems to favor as being great and accurate. I think that view is too rosy for a wide variety of reasons. One example would many arbitrators where one party represents repeat business and the other does not.

That said I still have a romantic attachment to the concept of juries due to basic democratic principles. It seems that the current system is set up to keep jurors confused, bewildered and prepped to go with their gut. They will have been presented with two plausible contradicting stories, evidence for each which they will have mostly forgotten (because who takes good notes?) and ultimately they will mostly remember the conviction with which each sides misrepresented the evidence in order to win their case.

Not to mention that jurors are people who have essentially been asked to watch a play featuring actors they don't know, with a muddled plot, half in a language they do not understand, potentially over the course of several days, without nodding off or thinking about the really hot court reporter, and then agree on a summary of the plot afterwards.

Frankly I believe juries should be given better support to marshall all this.

What is your thinking on the topic nm?

Munin fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 30, 2019

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

What are you confused about.
I asked you a direct question, how did you go about determining the people you are talking about are, in your own words:

euphronius posted:

they have been reasonably good at parsing credibility
Like was it based on them agreeing with you? Did you conduct a study? How and why did you come to this conclusion?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s funny because lawyers who represent corporations frequently complain about arbitrators being “too fair” haha (that is a propensity to “split the baby” in disputes where the cooperation may have an extremely strong case that a judge would award the summary judgment)

Oh well .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

twodot posted:

I asked you a direct question, how did you go about determining the people you are talking about are, in your own words:

Like was it based on them agreeing with you? Did you conduct a study? How and why did you come to this conclusion?

“In my experience (as a lawyer)”

If you have a study which actually studies the ability of fact finders in actual hearings and actual trials to judge credibility I’ll read it but I doubt it exists

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

If you have a study which actually studies the ability of fact finders in actual hearings and actual trials to judge credibility I’ll read it but I doubt it exists
No I get you are talking about your experience, what I want to know is how, in your experience, you measured the ability of people to determine lies. Did you just assume people who agreed with you correctly determined lies? Did you keep a journal of claims that you were able to later validate? Did you do something else?
edit:
Perhaps you personally lied to them to test on how they responded?

twodot fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 30, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

twodot posted:

No I get you are talking about your experience, what I want to know is how, in your experience, you measured the ability of people to determine lies. Did you just assume people who agreed with you correctly determined lies? Did you keep a journal of claims that you were able to later validate? Did you do something else?

You are getting into a deeper epistemological questions about the notion of truth in hearings to begin with . It gets murky fast . There is only a tenuous connection to reality. Reality quickly becomes the evidence in the case and there is no telling how accurate that is. Especially since the hearing or trial can happen months or years after the relevant events. Also credibility is more nuanced than figuring out who is “telling lies”. Often you have two people who are telling they truth but their truths are mutually exclusive. So that’s a pickle. And then you get cases where everyone is lying (not my clients obviously . Never! )

so: what is credibility in this bizarre, time shifted shadow realm of reality? The nebulous quality of being believable or trustworthy in their statements in the context of the evidence in the case or record. In my experience people are good judges of that.

Is what the witness saying ultimately true? Ultimately true outside of the evidence of the case in a world that hasn’t existed for months or years? Who knows: it doesn’t matter anyways. What matters is a finding that what they are saying is true based on the evidence in the case. That is their credibility. A lawyer can determine that. That’s what we are trained to do. We determine it by looking at the evidence (all of the evidence ) and looking at the witnesses testimony and figuring it out.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

euphronius posted:

Well, you could kick off with the fact that in general Police are no better than lay people:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/221706527_How_good_are_police_officers_at_spotting_lies

And generally hold the same preconceptions about liars as lay people:
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/file?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0156615&type=printable

Now, I can't find any research (either positive or negative) about the capabilities of arbitrators and I already spent too long on this internet slapfight. That said all research I have found shows that in general laypeople and professionals seriously overestimate their ability to figure out whether someone is making a true statement. I think it would be naive to contend that those overconfident assessments do not impact the assessment of a case or other situation. I would be very interested to hear about any research you have on hand pointing to the superior capabilities of "fact finders".

My closing would be that it has been shown that a wide variety of people, some of whom it is a core part of their profession, are awful at discerning whether someone is dissembling or not. In many cases, both civil and criminal, rely on professionals or jurors to assess whether a witness is making a truthful statement. This is especially the case in instance of rape, harassment, and other disputes where physical evidence is limited. I would also include many labor disputes in that category.

Now, people can be trained to at least do better, to examine their biases, to be informed about what are in fact awful markers to judge whether someone is lying or not, to have a sounder view of how much weight they should put on witness statements. None of this is provided to jurors or professionals and to make things worse many professionals are in fact mis-trained. work should be done to address this.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I don't love the idea of even unelected people basically acting as triers of facts in criminal cases, regardless of training. Working in the crminal justice system too long makes you bitter and cynical and makes you think everyone is lying. You start thinking of yourself as part of the law enforcement team. Plus you see the same cops over and over and as you learn about them, it gives them an unfair testimonial advantage over a defendant who they've either never seen, or seen in court 10 other times accused of some poo poo.
Yes, I know a lot of other countries do that. I don't know what their wrongful conviction rates are. However, I would caution that the US's seemingly high wrongful conviction rate (I'd argue that any wrongful conviction is too high, but that's beyond this argument) is certainly helped by the death penalty causing a much greater interest in wrongful convictions, which attracts lawyers to the field as well as the people who pay them.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

nm posted:

I don't love the idea of even unelected people basically acting as triers of facts in criminal cases, regardless of training. Working in the crminal justice system too long makes you bitter and cynical and makes you think everyone is lying. You start thinking of yourself as part of the law enforcement team. Plus you see the same cops over and over and as you learn about them, it gives them an unfair testimonial advantage over a defendant who they've either never seen, or seen in court 10 other times accused of some poo poo.

Yeah, definitely all good points. Justice is a hard system to get right and there are always trade-offs one way or another. I voiced similar concerns you do about judges as finders of fact in regards to arbitrators which are in a similar situation.

I would be much more comfortable with juries if the system was reviewed and more effort made to make sure that they are making these determinations in the way we would expect them to. That things are set up so it is easier for them to do so. Jurors get less prep and training than my intern does.

nm posted:

Yes, I know a lot of other countries do that. I don't know what their wrongful conviction rates are. However, I would caution that the US's seemingly high wrongful conviction rate (I'd argue that any wrongful conviction is too high, but that's beyond this argument) is certainly helped by the death penalty causing a much greater interest in wrongful convictions, which attracts lawyers to the field as well as the people who pay them.

Even the limited scrutiny the US system gets is much more than the systems in other countries do. There is an awful lot wrong with the US justice system but at least there is a space for innocence projects and the like. I do think a good bit of the relatively higher false conviction rates are due to that, I don't trust the numbers in other countries to be a good reflection of actual false conviction rates since many of the issues in the US also exist there.

That said I am sure that the false conviction rates, based on exonerations achieved, are also not a true reflection of the problem. That is not even going into how the majority of the system runs on plea deals.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EwokEntourage posted:

What if your employer is just one big happy family

Then you are stealing from your family

You loving monster

lmao if you don't steal from your family.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

lmao if you don't steal from your family.

On the topic of family, stealing and wills. I am not looking forward to the mess when my spiteful grandfather dies and the intermingled assets between him and my uncles need to be sorted out (my mother had a falling out with him decades ago after he screwed her and my father over a large sum of money so hopefully should only be caught in the by-blow). He has assets in all sorts of jurisdictions and his own personal take on reality and legality. Lawyers will definitely be involved.

I am very thankful that my parents have properly drawn up wills etc and have clearly communicated the general arrangements to us.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

You are getting into a deeper epistemological questions about the notion of truth in hearings to begin with . It gets murky fast . There is only a tenuous connection to reality.
If you think there is only a tenuous connection between hearings and reality, that seems like a really extremely bad fact for anyone being able to determine who is lying and who is telling the truth.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Maybe the real enemy of truth is the oversimplification of laboratory condition research results applied to real world context.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Truth is a lie

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

euphronius posted:

There (and in other civil hearing that may involve lay fact finders) it has been my experience that they have been reasonably good at parsing credibility .

It's the hardest part of the job. Especially when you are forced to do it by phone conference.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Nice piece of fish posted:

Maybe the real enemy of truth is the oversimplification of laboratory condition research results applied to real world context.
But there's really good evidence in the real world that people routinely gently caress this up.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

'People are good at spotting the truth it's just that their biases and racism get in the way' means that people are bad at spotting the truth. If they need a bunch of evidence thrown at them, they are not good at telling who is lying.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What do you guys think about the illustrated guide to law?
This thing:
http://lawcomic.net/guide/

I've been through it a couple times and while he goes way off the rails sometimes and his latest extended screeds about prehistorical human cultures is a bunch of bullshit, the early basics he put up about how the law works and why it's built the way it is was really compelling and interesting to me so I'm hoping it's not also full of errors and omissions.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Looks like a lot of bio truths

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah that's the newest page, the author insists he's been doing tons of research and he's trying to lay out how we first put together concepts of justice as enforced by government but it's clear it's not his area of expertise and he's just taking at face value two or three specific sources he likes without talking to like, actual anthropologists.

But if you start at the beginning it's mostly not that stuff.
http://lawcomic.net/guide/?p=18

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I skimmed the first 30 pages and it seems like a bizarre thing and I don’t know who it’s aimed at. It didn’t see anything obviously wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it's aimed at the layperson who knows nothing about the law and wants to learn the basics. It feels like, for example, a decent intro to the concept of mens rea.
Anyway I was more asking if folks were already familiar with it, I don't expect you to read the whole thing.