Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Considering Lori is in the show, I wouldnt be surprised if it was Dan rescuing Will at the end of the episode and we will get a surprise cameo/appearance by an aged Nite Owl II himself.

This occurred to me too. He’d be what, in his 60s or maybe even 70s? I guess around the same age as Laurie and Veidt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I reaaaally want to know who the heck has a giant magnet on a Nite-owl-esque ship though. My theory: considering that in the pilot the police had a Nite Owl-y ship, Im guessing some faction of the police are working with will. Some vigilante faction??
90% sure it's a "I clapped because I recognized THIS thing from the original" schtick

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Zmej posted:

"I clapped because I recognized THIS thing from the original"

I clapped because I recognized this criticism from red letter media

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Colonel Whitey posted:

This occurred to me too. He’d be what, in his 60s or maybe even 70s? I guess around the same age as Laurie and Veidt

Dan would be 74, and I think he's 5 years older than Laurie.

Veidt would be 80.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Idk I think the Owlship and Nite Owl's goggles being part of the police department's arsenal are both hints to what happened to Dan and further reinforcement of how the state coopted superheroes for their own purposes.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
This video proposes some interesting theories (predicated on Will being HJ). I like his observation that if Will is HJ then the entire masked hero phenomenon is a direct response to racial injustice, which recontextualizes and expands on the comics in an interesting way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xr2756FDKE

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Yeah It'll probably come out that Dan lightened his sentence by using the tech he developed as leverage.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

did anyone else explode with laughter when Will was picked up in the car by a massive junkyard magnet?

Envisioned
Dec 31, 2007

Hasta la Sunset Vista, baby
Really digging the show so far, and living in Tulsa it's more than a little surreal to watch.

I don't think it can be stated enough just how hard this city has tried to memory-hole the 1921 massacre. If you haven't, definitely check out the Peteypedia article about the in-show court case. It nails the reasoning of rebranding the thing as a "race riot" to muddy the waters. Until like, this year, this is the extent our schools taught us about the massacre: 1. the Greenwood district was also known as Black Wallstreet (but no further diving into why that would have been a very important thing for the community). 2. A "race riot" broke out one day, we're not really sure why, but it was probably a black man being around a white woman that started it so it's proooooobably his fault. 3. Some people died I guess? Greenwood burned down or something? It happened a long time ago and details are sketchy so don't worry about it any more and none of this information will be on the next test.

It's been hugely controversial here in recent years that people want it properly recognized as white people wholesale slaughtering one of the most vibrant black communities in the nation instead of just calling it a riot and leaving it at that. Massive pushback on any attempts to locate the mass graves that most definitely exist. If this show does nothing else, bringing this topic more into the public consciousness is incredibly important.

On more of a fun note, Tim Blake Nelson is also from Tulsa. Met him before, he's super nice and super smart, love seeing him in more of a featured role.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Canadian Surf Club posted:

I disagree with the common thread in here, it seems, that Jed was/is part of the 7th Calvary. Just seems too on the nose. We're definitely supposed to make the connection that the white robe in his closet is his father's (that we see in the old timey photo at the end of ep1, with the same star I'd bet). This show is obviously dealing in some heavy generational stuff- the things we leave behind and the things we hold onto, even if they don't align with us now. Also don't think it makes much sense that it was HIM that invaded Angela's house on the White Night. Too much that could have gone wrong if he's there with another shooter, and if her husband saved her, then that's a hard bluff to pull off.

I suspect that it'll turn out that Judd was in cahoots with the 7th Kav in some fashion, and the White Night was a power play to take control of the Tulsa PD. But I agree that he was probably not the 2nd assailant in Angela's house. Being involved on the attacking end of the White Night would be incredibly risky, I suspect the extent of his direct involvement in the action was having someone intentionally shoot him in the arm.

When Angela woke up in the hospital room, didn't Judd say something about Angela getting the one that attacked her, implying that they believed there was only one attacker? I suppose you could interpret that as a second shooter that just decided to let her live, but that doesn't make sense to me - she was just an average cop at that time, why would she be the only other one they decide to let live? The first shooter clearly intended to kill her which implies that murdering her was the original plan, why would a second shooter spontaneously decide not to finish her off? (My pet theory is that someone else - perhaps Will or his friends protecting his granddaughter - nabbed the second shooter before he could finish her off.)

the escape goat posted:

did anyone else explode with laughter when Will was picked up in the car by a massive junkyard magnet?

Yes, and I loved that they had Regina King say "what the gently caress" about five seconds after I muttered "what the gently caress"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Gangringo posted:

I do think the character is Veidt, but I think the twist is going to be where he is. I don't think he could have built up a country Manor in what appears to be Western Europe and gathered the resources to clone servants and continue doing mad science in a world that is very motivated to find him. I think he is probably either imprisoned by Dr. Manhattan to keep him from meddling any further, or he decided if Osterman could reassemble himself, so can he and went into the intrinsic field chamber. The whole Manor sequence could be an abstraction of his attempts to become a Dr. Manhattan-like Superman.

feedmyleg posted:

This I like. The world we're seeing being Veidt's out-of-time fantasy where he's attempting to put himself back together like Manhattan did would be rad as hell.
Ahh ok yea that would resolve my big confusion point and also align with one of the theories I haven't been able to kill off yet.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I liked the theory I saw in the comments of that Youtube video Rolf Mueller was actually the 2nd Hooded Justice after Sally's publicist husband realized a black hero was a PR problem.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Judd was probably gas lighting Angela making her think that there was only one shooter.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
https://twitter.com/DemocracyAtBork/status/1189455096557514752

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Angela, convinced of Judd's complicity in the White Night or his family's in the Tulsa massacre, sets herself and Looking Glass into exposing him and destroying his legacy. By the time it's revealed that Judd is simply a historian collector and his indubitably not at all connected to white supremacy, the damage is already done. Looking Glass, tears undah dis mask, stands at Judd's grave to apologize "We thought you was a choad"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

tin can made man posted:

Angela, convinced of Judd's complicity in the White Night or his family's in the Tulsa massacre, sets herself and Looking Glass into exposing him and destroying his legacy. By the time it's revealed that Judd is simply a historian collector and his indubitably not at all connected to white supremacy, the damage is already done. Looking Glass, tears undah dis mask, stands at Judd's grave to apologize "We thought you was a choad"

Hahaha

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

tin can made man posted:

Awesome.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Cavalry
Calvary
Kavalry
Kalvary

Truly this show's greatest mystery.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Let the mystery be.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

guys off to a good start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTGX0zt4Msk

e: and then off to a o_o

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

This is mirrored at the end when she's putting Will in her car.

It absolutely is and thank you for pointing it out when I didn't. It's like poetry.... It rhymes.

Did y'all watch donoteat's black wallstreet?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The cake with two candles at the Lord of the Castle may not mean two years.... What if it was a two day anniversary?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

God drat killing the servent was brutal but like totally economical once you click back into what the context could be. "He can't actually be able to go and burn that man just for the play"....

Then you think it's special effect, or that Irons is going to teleport the servent out or protect him somehow....

But nope, we get to see the new pet remove the body of the old pet

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Nail Rat posted:

I can see why people like Rorschach. He's a badass indisputably, and as some have pointed out in this thread, he was so steadfast in his beliefs (as hosed up as they were - and they were) he was willing to die for them. But what a lot of people overlook as to why a lot of people like him is that he's the first character, and so people latch onto him as a point of reference. That's both on the first read - besides the bumbling detectives, you first see Rorschach grappling his way into Blake's apartment - and on subsequent reads. The first panel that has any humans in it, one of the two is Kovacs holding is sign. The other is a rando washing blood off the sidewalk.

I really think this early establishment as a point of reference has a lot to do with people sympathizing with Kovacs/Rorschach and his batshit insane worldview.

Aside from that, I just have a hard time taking Moore seriously as far as not being happy with people liking Rorschach when: he just made the dude such an unrealistic badass. Rorschach is a bad person but Moore made him so badass he can operate with no income for a decade while on the run and killing criminals because....reasons?

Ultimately I'd say I agree with Moore that people are dumb for liking Rorschach, but I also would say Moore is dumb for the way he wrote Rorschach.

Moore has a way of doing this with his own work. He's on record multiple times as saying he doesn't particularly like The Killing Joke, that Joker was the wrong character for that type of story, etc. The Killing Joke is one of the more popular Batman stories, but when some of his fans read his opinions on it, they do a 180 on their own opinions. Maybe part of it is so they can pull an 'umm akshaully' when it comes up, but the point is that he wrote something lots of people loved and then said, nah.

Rorschach is written to be sympathetic with his backstory, badass, morally uncompromising. Of course people are going to love him. He's also deranged but we usually forgive that flaw in superheroes. Moore insinuating that liking him is wrong is fine but to me seems slightly disingenuous.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

KoRMaK posted:

The cake with two candles at the Lord of the Castle may not mean two years.... What if it was a two day anniversary?

Maybe it's the anniversary of Veidt saving the world.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

yea we dont actually know how much time has passed inbetween each cake ceremony. just something to keep in mind

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

In the trailer for the show, when the sheriff does the "Tick, tock, tick, tock" scene I thought it was menacing. Wierd how the context the show brought me into made that disappear. But now I'm remembering it. It was.... uncomfortable. Like someone talking down. Any maybe by getting into the forest of the show I started seeing trees

Side note: German leaflet mentions "seat in a theater", show, ep1, starts out in a theater. An empty one... As if no one wanted to sit with them. But they could get any seat they wanted.... As it fell down all around them and none of the whites wanted anything to do with it

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 31, 2019

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Giving us pieces of this vast conspiracy in pieces...

Like eps of a show!

We also now know what Angela sounds like when she's lieing and pretending to be sincere. Bad move for a liar, showin your poker reaction like that

Wehn angela wakes up from her coma, the sound design remnded me of this area of the album of Type O's World Coming Down. Sinus, specifically. A lot more tracks seem relevant tho now that i am crusing the album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tovbl_N88tE&t=549s

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 31, 2019

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

"Reckon there's someone up there lookin out fer ye...." Hospital scene with captain and Angela. Later, literally, seems like it might be a recurring theme....

Did she not cry because maybe Doyle sucked and was a dirtbage racist?

"She loves beating poo poo out of these fucks. That much is indisputable. Gitty loving up."

On rewatch and rewind, glass's mask def had the reflection of the oncoming assault which Angela saw. Glass didn't react, well, not fast enough. But nice touch, she saw it and so could we if we were paying attention

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
This show really is showing how releasing weekly can absolutely be the better option over dumping it all at once. Having the week between episodes gives people time to think about the details, and I’ve watched each episode twice to really absorb it. That can’t really happen in something where you open palm slam the whole season into your brain in one shot. The pacing of the story feels very deliberate and the breaks have really helped with that.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

When the Store Keeps asks Hooded Knght "Who are you" and then it cuts to angela while Hooded Knight does his kinda weak but also strong diatribe monologue...

in 4 eps i(not a reviewer just strongly speculating) ts gonna feel SO obvious if will is hooded knight. The diatriabe works both for a boy who grew without a father and with a ton of ptsd and rage (will) and a even more so for a grandchild who lost any chance of historic backtrace, like angela

Also, did Lux Laundry Detergent sponsor the loving episode?

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

So if Silk Spectre II is a fed, and Dan married her, it would make sense that law enforcement would have his tech, right?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

When old man boils and plucks the egg, and Angela gets a phone call, she just watches him stick his hand in nearly boiling water while she gets some probably trust worthy report, and he just trying to hang with his BAD rear end granddaughter. but she isn't ready to believe any of that poo poo, even if he's an old man and the DNA center say "maybe" they connected, she's still skeptical. That's what this story thread is about. He has more info but he's all forgetful and it's not really why he's here. He just wants to meet her before it goes

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going to out myself as a "Why the gently caress would you try to assume you can do better than Alan Moore" type and say that I'm not hot on the show yet, I'll keep watching, but... I feel like I'm far more invested into seeing the weird alt-history bits around this weird world they've drummed up than the actual plot, and that feels like a major problem. Like hell, I enjoy watching the main character and her Soviet tracksuit partner. They have an obvious old man Veidt in a castle and I'm frankly completely uninterested in the overall story - it's cute, but... I have zero loving reason to care.

I get that it's the cool smart Internet poster guy thing now to poo poo on Alan Moore. But, frankly, he did a really loving incredible job with V for Vendetta and Watchmen, two of the most iconic graphic novels of the medium that made comic books into Graphic Novels - and there's people ITT making GBS threads on him instead of being willing to accept his work, as well as the potential of a AAA+ Hollywood team to build on that, even after DC's attempts of a prequel and sequel have absolutely ate poo poo.

I don't think the show is great all that yet. I think it's relying too much on "what's going to happen next?!?!" instead of a strong character focus that made everyone fall in love with the OG Watchmen novel. I mean hell, just look at the extended reference to Dr. Manhattan's origin story - oh, Ozymandias wants to make his own Manhattan. Yeah, sure. Obviously. I'm not a moron.

I appreciate the references and the worldbuilding, but they haven't teased a narrative worthwhile of a sequel to the original novel.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.
KoRMaK, you know you can just put all your thoughts into one reply, right? Or even edit them in after the fact as other things occur to you? Just checking.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but do we know if this show takes into account the movie version or the graphic novel version of the ending? Like, did we have Squidlord happen or the Doc?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well, considering squids rain from the sky...

(The supplemental material also makes it clear the squid ending happened)

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Sorry if this has been answered already, but do we know if this show takes into account the movie version or the graphic novel version of the ending? Like, did we have Squidlord happen or the Doc?
The original graphic novel is the canon. Nothing else.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

I get that it's the cool smart Internet poster guy thing now to poo poo on Alan Moore. But, frankly, he did a really loving incredible job with V for Vendetta and Watchmen, two of the most iconic graphic novels of the medium that made comic books into Graphic Novels - and there's people ITT making GBS threads on him instead of being willing to accept his work, as well as the potential of a AAA+ Hollywood team to build on that, even after DC's attempts of a prequel and sequel have absolutely ate poo poo.

Who's making GBS threads on Alan Moore? I feel like this thread is mostly Moore fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Taintrunner posted:

Going to out myself as a "Why the gently caress would you try to assume you can do better than Alan Moore" type and say that I'm not hot on the show yet, I'll keep watching, but... I feel like I'm far more invested into seeing the weird alt-history bits around this weird world they've drummed up than the actual plot, and that feels like a major problem. Like hell, I enjoy watching the main character and her Soviet tracksuit partner. They have an obvious old man Veidt in a castle and I'm frankly completely uninterested in the overall story - it's cute, but... I have zero loving reason to care.

I don't think the show is great all that yet. I think it's relying too much on "what's going to happen next?!?!" instead of a strong character focus that made everyone fall in love with the OG Watchmen novel. I mean hell, just look at the extended reference to Dr. Manhattan's origin story - oh, Ozymandias wants to make his own Manhattan. Yeah, sure. Obviously. I'm not a moron.

I appreciate the references and the worldbuilding, but they haven't teased a narrative worthwhile of a sequel to the original novel.

Ah yes, clearly this place is filled with people who like making GBS threads on the author of one of their favorite pieces of literature.