Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'm a 79 model which made me a gen x'er for a good long time but it kept changing and now I'm told that it's just boomers and millennials so hello millennial brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The web 2.0 generation

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
I thought the gen x/millennia divide is early 80s.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Generational tags suck and are fluid so whatever.

But if I had to draw a line: at what age did you first get online?

There's a huge generational gap between those who got online during their childhood and those who came to the internet in early adulthood (or later).

Similarly, there's a gap between Millennials and Gen Z over when you got access to your first smartphone/device. Not as big as the previous one but a distinct one regardless.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

not caring here posted:

I'm a 79 model which made me a gen x'er for a good long time but it kept changing and now I'm told that it's just boomers and millennials so hello millennial brothers.

If you dont have student loan debt you're a boomer.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

AOL.

on DOS.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
current event: wtf yo

quote:

Missouri's state health director, Dr. Randall Williams, told officials at a state hearing that he tracked the menstrual periods of women who visited Planned Parenthood with a spreadsheet, the Kansas City Star reported Tuesday.

The spreadsheet, compiled at Williams' request by the state's main inspector, was used to identify patients who had undergone failed abortions, according to the Star.

Williams' testimony was part of an ongoing hearing in which the St. Louis Planned Parenthood clinic is fighting to continue performing abortions after the state refused to renew its license, which was supposed to expire on May 31. Testimony is expected to continue this week.

"The revelation that Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services Director Randall Williams used the power of his position to personally track the menstrual periods of Planned Parenthood patients is deeply disturbing," Quade said in a statement on her Facebook page. "State law requires the health department director to be 'of recognized character and integrity.' This unsettling behavior calls into question whether Doctor Williams meets that high standard. Governor Parson must immediately investigate whether patient privacy was compromised or laws broken and determine if this is a person who Missourians can be comfortable having in a position of public trust."

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

the public being completely unfooled by epsteins suicide is goddamn hilarious to me

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

if you grew up with high speed internet from a young age you're a zoomer, if you had dial up and played oregon trail you're a millenial

PookBear fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 30, 2019

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Thwomp posted:

There's a huge generational gap between those who got online during their childhood and those who came to the internet in early adulthood (or later).

Similarly, there's a gap between Millennials and Gen Z over when you got access to your first smartphone/device. Not as big as the previous one but a distinct one regardless.

We first got prodigy in like 90, I was eight.

First smartphone just like six years ago, so 31.

The internet access divide is real, tho.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the public being completely unfooled by epsteins suicide is goddamn hilarious to me

And yet, nothing of consequence has happened.

Edit: my gauge for the split in generations is "Did you grow up watching Nickelodeon or YouTube?"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Thwomp posted:

I do it as A) exposure to computers as a kid and B) remember 911.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I had a flip phone in college

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

Gen X is boomers with different music and movies.

True

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

oh and one of those nokia meme bricks

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i didnt get a cell phone until i was in the army

we got high speed broadband my junior year of high school

i feel way too old atm

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

whats the cutoff for gen x/y now

im 1984 and they kept trying call us weird poo poo loke the eGeneration. then it became iGeneration.

Early 80s. Like 80-81. I’m 83 which is millennial.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

What if we're both?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Can't find the tweet, but don't exactly trust that Epstein medical examiner, either.

The medical examiner was hired by Epstein's brother. If Epstein was killed, that drastically alters how his estate gets divided up, with more going to the brother/family. If Epstein killed his are self, Epstein's victims get a better shot at, or get more of, the estate after all the lawsuits are done.

The Clintons sure made a trainwreck with this one!

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah I was on the interwebs in a class during my senior year of HS when I read about 9/11 as it happened on ArsTechnica’s forum. Also was on AOL/Prodigy/dialup Internet in the early to mid 90s. So both?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Viva Miriya posted:

What if we're both?

Then you're a millenial

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

I do it as A) exposure to computers as a kid.

Personal computers were a thing that existed back in the late-70s and 80s. And while they were genuinely new and paradigm shifting in their own right, they could still be interpreted by older folks as machines (essentially) they were used to.

Computers with GUIs (like the first Mac) were huge steps beyond the "programmable machine" concept (one my grandfather, part of the greatest generation, couldn't get over. It legit freaked him out).

But it wasn't until ISPs (yes, AOL was an ISP) started rolling out en masse that using a computer as a child became a fundamentally different formative experience.

To return to my previous line, Boomers had TV. A Gen Xer had a non-networked computer as a kid. A Millenial grew up with early (and improving) internet connections. Gen Z grew/are growing up with personal, touchable screens with an always-on internet connection.

(I had AOL early enough to remember the transition from AOL 3.0 to 4.0 my first year of middle school. Yikes)

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Epstein's death is beyond loving fishy and it seems like there's a lot of really weird poo poo surrounding it, but I'm extremely skeptical of anything that Benjamin Norton, Max Blumenthal or other tankie journalists associated with his Gray Zone project report. Blumenthal himself got arrested for kicking a female Venezuelan protester in the stomach outside of the Venezuelan embassy a few months ago; before that, he's well known for his tweets mocking Syrian victims of Assad's chemical weapons. gently caress them all.

You have any evidence that he actually kicked anyone? I've seen his arrest in various stories, but no one with any evidence that he actually did anything aside from show up and report on the embassy protests.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Online in mid 90s with ATT dial up, first smart phone was a iPhone 4.

I also used to make batteries for Motorola cellphones like the old brick phone or the startac's.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1189600858536730627?s=20

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

whats the cutoff for gen x/y now

im 1984 and they kept trying call us weird poo poo loke the eGeneration. then it became iGeneration.

Harvard classifies Gen X as '65 to '84, to keep poo poo consistent with boomers, who were '45 to '64.

Try telling anyone born before 1980 that though, millennial scum.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Thwomp posted:

Personal computers were a thing that existed back in the late-70s and 80s. And while they were genuinely new and paradigm shifting in their own right, they could still be interpreted by older folks as machines (essentially) they were used to.

Computers with GUIs (like the first Mac) were huge steps beyond the "programmable machine" concept (one my grandfather, part of the greatest generation, couldn't get over. It legit freaked him out).

But it wasn't until ISPs (yes, AOL was an ISP) started rolling out en masse that using a computer as a child became a fundamentally different formative experience.

To return to my previous line, Boomers had TV. A Gen Xer had a non-networked computer as a kid. A Millenial grew up with early (and improving) internet connections. Gen Z grew/are growing up with personal, touchable screens with an always-on internet connection.

(I had AOL early enough to remember the transition from AOL 3.0 to 4.0 my first year of middle school. Yikes)

Fine. Computers as part of school curriculum then. Basically even poor kids could have a rudimentary knowledge of something they would not have at home

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Got some Juno (e-mail only no internet) on this here Gateway 2000.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I was born in '81 but I participated in the Forever War, had my civilian career hosed up by the recession, and I don't care about a big house in the suburbs so I must be a millennial.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Forever war was gen Xs' to lead, millennials to follow. Now it's millennials leading and Xers retiring and clogging up the VA.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Crakkerjakk posted:

You have any evidence that he actually kicked anyone? I've seen his arrest in various stories, but no one with any evidence that he actually did anything aside from show up and report on the embassy protests.

I haven't seen video of the incident, but reportedly it exists and it's in the possession of the DC police, which was enough to affect the arrest warrant.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Milo and POTUS posted:

A) hit all the home, school, GUI and internet access caveats between 81 and 84.
B) my kids do, too

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I'm extremely skeptical of anything that Benjamin Norton, Max Blumenthal or other tankie journalists associated with his Gray Zone project report.

And turning the "valuable consideration" plea bargain boilerplate into "was a CI for the FBI" is a bit of a stretch without some actual documentation.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 30, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That's fine but I doubt that's typical

e: I assume you're the oregon trail generation or whatever

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 30, 2019

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

https://www.facebook.com/920743434636339/posts/2825158034194860?sfns=mo

Love the militarization of the police

Like look at that loving thing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Nobody will think our dicks are small in this thing!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

https://www.facebook.com/920743434636339/posts/2825158034194860?sfns=mo

Love the militarization of the police

Like look at that loving thing

You civilians don't understand the (blue) life and death struggle every day on the streets in *goggles 'Jupiter' 'town'* uh a rich suburb of 65k people.

quote:

Jupiter was rated as the 12th Best Beach Town in America by WalletHub in 2018, and as the 9th Happiest Seaside Town in America by Coastal Living in 2012.[10][11]

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
"Rescue" :rolleyes:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Wanna see how much in municipal tax dollars are wasted keeping that pointless thing running.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

if you grew up with high speed internet from a young age you're a zoomer, if you had dial up and played oregon trail you're a millenial

If you had an atari 2600 and played original pong on a sit down 2 person arcade machine, you're gen x

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Anyone remember car phones