Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I think it's established that a lot of people get measurably worse at evaluating that kind of thing as they age.

So if climate change doesn't kill us, we can look forward to descending into a haze and getting cheated out of our water ration by slick zoomer grifters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I've at least gotten my mother-in-law to the point that she'll stop a caller and say, "Hey, I'm going to bring my son-in-law, and if he says your pitch is legit then I'll give you my money." So far I've saved her from student loan scams, people posing as the IRS and Social Security, fraudulent police charities, and car warranty bullshit. And it's extra fun hearing the people on the phone get angry or upset that they've lost a customer.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

kill your parents, after ~25 it's just a long downward slope that gets steeper and steeper

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

T-man posted:

kill your parents, after ~25 it's just a long downward slope that gets steeper and steeper

My mom is fine :colbert:

My father and his new wife, on the other hand....yeah, wood chipper seems like the only solution. I should take daily blood pressure readings then ask someone else to look at the data and pick out when I get these calls/texts.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Not political, but I'm so loving sick of my boomer father spamming me with messages in a panic that he got a call from an obvious scammer.

Today he got the same voicemail I did where someone was pretending to be a process server, threatening to embarrass me at my "place of work" (big clue: I work from home, a legit process server would know they're serving to a residence not a business address), unless I called immediately to (I'm assuming) give them money to make it stop.

What's so frustrating is we've been through this at least a dozen times. My poo poo got compromised twice when I was in undergrad, so my old data has been floating around for over a decade. Back then, I was still associated with him since I was in school, so they would have had his home number, his was an address I lived at, etc. So this has been a thing that happens every so often over the years.

Every single loving time..... "No, they cannot legally talk to you about your 33 year old son's financial or legal matters. No, your number and address haven't been associated with me in almost 15 years, so nothing new should ever connect to you, it's obviously ancient data. No, they can't demand payment right now. No, a legitimate debt collector can ONLY ask you if you can put me on the phone, they cannot disclose ANYTHING else or that is considered harassment."

I think the worst part is this reveals exactly what his opinion of me is, that he's willing to instantly believe that I have destroyed my life and am in debt to the mob or something. It implies I'm stupid, and ESPECIALLY after having been a victim of identity theft I somehow still don't monitor my credit report regularly.

I always wondered how boomers fall for what is, to me, so blatantly transparent and laughably stupid......but then I have to deal with this poo poo once or twice a year (pretty much the only times we talk now, we finally had our final falling out over him defending Trump after having voted for him).

It seems a lot of people never learned critical thinking skills. Just the ability to think "ok, IF this is true, THEN I should see [thing]. I don't, which means I should check this other thing..."

My parents used to call me in a panic any time a dialog box popped up on her computer. I was eventually able to train my mom to be critical and think through a bunch of stuff. Now when she calls me for tech support I'm a lot more willing to help, because she can tell me all the stuff she went through (and usually it's a reasonably technical issue... not like it used to be, with "It told me that it needs to restart to install the program I requested. Should I click OK?!")

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Macaroni posted:

And it's extra fun hearing the people on the phone get angry or upset that they've lost a customer.

I actually called the number they gave. The first time a woman answered....

:j: - Legal department.
:raise: - Can I ask what company this is the legal department of?
:j: - Legal department.
:raise: - Ok, what company are you representing.
:j: - The Delta Group.
-- quickly google that, see the only hit is a graphic design group in the UK or some such --
:raise: - Hmm, you don't seem to exist, what do you do there?
:j: - We're a litigation company.
:raise: - That's not a thing. Can I get some sort of information about this company from you so I can learn more about you?
:j: - Click

I called back immediately, and they did an insta-hangup. I called again and it rang for a long time before going to voicemail.....recorded by the same exact voice from the initial voicemail I received (and my father received) where he claimed to be "Tom Strantonmyer". He sounded like he was stoned out of his mind.

:350: - "This is Dan's phone, leave your name and number and I'll call you back."
:raise: - "I thought this number was for the "legal department" at a company called The Delta Group? Clearly you're just a scam, as this is just some dude's cellphone voicemail box. Never call me or my family again with your scams.

I assumed that would be the end of it, clearly they caught on that I knew they were full of poo poo and were just bailing, but then DAN CALLED BACK!

:350: - Uh, hi, I got a call from this number?
:raise: - Oh, I'm looking for "The Delta Group"'s legal department?
:350: - Uh, what?
:raise: - Sorry, I'm dealing with a scammer and it seems they may have been spoofing your phone number, since I guess you have no idea what I'm talking about.
:350: - Wait, why are you calling this number?
:raise: - I got a voicemail from someone claiming to be a process server and they left this number, I''m just trying to get to the bottom of the scam, I'm sorry that you got involved because they used your number since this is just your cellphone number or something?
:350: - No, this is my company. You said you got a call from a process server?
:raise: - Uh....what company are you with?
:350: I'm with a litigation company, and I heard your voicemail, you clearly think this is a scam. Well fine, wait until the process server gets there and you'll see just how real this is and we can talk in court.

It just devolved into me mocking him at that point as he doubled down on the classic "oh you'll see how real this is when we kick your rear end" tactics and I just kept laughing and asking him questions about his supposed company.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I kind of want to keep calling Dan back once a day and asking where my papers are.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

While we sleep there are those that hate America quietly celebrating how easy it is to infiltrate and take over as free nation; They have successfully gained total control of American Education. Our History is a major casualty, it is rendered unavailable or re-written to ridicule The Founders and Authors of The Declaration of Independence and The U.S. Constitution. They have successfully gained control of the vast majority of Media which is being used to divide us socially and politically. Civility has been replaced with Hatred.
The Democrat Party has been stripped of its Traditional Identity of honor and decency for the common folks and replaced with a movement headed by Satan. The Republican Party once known for standing firm on Principles, Morals, Standards, and Values, has been silenced and most often stands for nothing while going along to get along . . . . .The children of the politicians that put themselves ahead of the country will ask one day soon, "why would you sacrifice Freedom knowing it was fragile and had only one life?"

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

DarkHorse posted:

It seems a lot of people never learned critical thinking skills. Just the ability to think "ok, IF this is true, THEN I should see [thing]. I don't, which means I should check this other thing..."

My parents used to call me in a panic any time a dialog box popped up on her computer. I was eventually able to train my mom to be critical and think through a bunch of stuff. Now when she calls me for tech support I'm a lot more willing to help, because she can tell me all the stuff she went through (and usually it's a reasonably technical issue... not like it used to be, with "It told me that it needs to restart to install the program I requested. Should I click OK?!")

Years ago, my mom fell for a PayPal phishing email. She realized about 10 seconds after she entered all her information into the form that something was wrong, and wound up calling PayPal and cancelling her account to be safe. She also used to send me all those "watch out for this new virus!" emails, but eventually stopped once I started replying with the Snopes link for them. I don't know if she stopped sending them to everyone, or just took me off her list.

My wife hasn't fallen for one yet, but once in a while she'll forward me one asking if it's legit. It never is. I think non-technical people don't really know what to look for, like making sure it doesn't have a misleadingly named URL in it or glaring typos or something.

Simliar to that second one - I was working as tech support for a nursing home once, and one of their nurses called because there was a message on her screen. When asked over the phone what it said, her answer was "I don't know." Could not get her to read it at all. Turned out it was just a dialog about some kind of update, but some people's brains just shut off when the computer does something unexpected.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

we should make a fake internet and give it to non-computer people to use

join me fellow computer touchers, a better world awaits

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

My father used to have critical thinking skills, but he just got scammed by a phone tech support company this year. Makes me worried for how he'll be in a decade.

Helped him pick out a new laptop, left installing office to him. Unfortunately, rather than typing office dot com into the address bar, he typed it into the search bar, so he got a bevy of fake Microsoft sites. The one he picked claimed his key was invalid and he had to call. The call convinced him that his brand new laptop was full of malware and he had to buy a support plan to clean it.

They were in the middle of remoting in and installing poo poo when he called me about an unrelated thing. Ugh.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

T-man posted:

we should make a fake internet and give it to non-computer people to use

join me fellow computer touchers, a better world awaits

That's called Facebook

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

And look how well that turned out.

Haha! It was always terrible

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Guavanaut posted:

David Icke literally means lizards disguised as people and was very confused when sections of the far right started using it to mean (((lizards))).

there's a radio interview that's ground zero for this, where the Nazi host keeps soothingly telling him that he's among friends here and he can say what he really means, and Icke keeps talking about lizard aliens, and it slowly dawns on the fascist and the listener that no, Icke isn't an anti-Semite, he's serious about the psychic lizard aliens

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, icke is not the biggest anti-semite out there. i mean he is to a degree, he believes in the global jewish conspiracy, but he also believes that the global jewish conspiracy is just a pawn for the interdimensional lizard men who rule us all

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Dear shitlord:

Stop treating us like subhumans to the point that regulal acceptance in society is seen as a hard-fought victory.

Your personal views should not impact how others live their lives.

You have not accomplished anything by viewing other human beings as wrong for their own preferences and experience.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

There's a real hmmmm.... moment here because the same could be said about Irish parades on St. Patrick's Day, but something tells me this person has no problem with that.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ErIog posted:

There's a real hmmmm.... moment here because the same could be said about Irish parades on St. Patrick's Day, but something tells me this person has no problem with that.

Well of course not, that's heritage

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

nobody should celebrate anything about themselves or anything in the world at any time

mandatory depression brains for all

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They don't ask you what the higher power you believe in is so you can just say "yes" and leave it at that. For atheism you could just say the truth or science or something in your head. It doesn't have to be religious or divine.

Technically true but also depends on your leadership somewhat. I got in trouble for ordering dog tags for an upcoming deployment with “heavy metal” as my religion.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

new friend from school posted:

Technically true but also depends on your leadership somewhat. I got in trouble for ordering dog tags for an upcoming deployment with “heavy metal” as my religion.

Is this your way of stealthily breaking to us that the masons control the military?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Eschenique posted:

Didn't some lodges permit atheists with the reasoning that their single minded dedicating to Atheism was basically a belief in a higher power anyway?

I've heard they changed the wording to "belief in something greater than yourself" which is a little less restrictive. My father leaned on me a while back to join, but I didn't feel comfortable joining an expressly religious organization, based on oaths, when I am not. This was back in the 2013-2014 timeframe, so I may have dodged a bullet not feeling obligated hanging out with mostly 40+ age dudes post 2016 election.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Masons sound like my local model train museum, except the train guys seem to have more fun and no one thinks they're pulling strings

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ashcans posted:

Masons sound like my local model train museum, except the train guys seem to have more fun and no one thinks they're pulling strings

Yeah, they use fancy remotes these days.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I don't have a specific post to share but Obama said a stupid thing about "woke culture" and now a disappointing number of my Facebook friends are sharing it and agreeing, spouting sentiments along the lines of "heck yeah Obama cancelled cancel culture". I'm just miffed because these aren't even chuds, they're relatively left leaning friends who just buy into the narrative that "cancel culture" is making things worse.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Argue posted:

I don't have a specific post to share but Obama said a stupid thing about "woke culture" and now a disappointing number of my Facebook friends are sharing it and agreeing, spouting sentiments along the lines of "heck yeah Obama cancelled cancel culture". I'm just miffed because these aren't even chuds, they're relatively left leaning friends who just buy into the narrative that "cancel culture" is making things worse.

it is, but not in the way they think it does

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I know it was on these forums but I'm not sure which thread, but this should always be shown to someone endlessly griping about "cancel culture."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szybEhqUmVI

(Disclaimer: much like anything political, this won't convince anyone that needs to see it)

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It’s so great that in a time of rising white supremacist violence, leaders and pundits from both parties can come together and discuss the problem of left-leaning kids yelling at people on Twitter. Great job guys.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Argue posted:

I think if we just make a broad generalization that "people overreact sometimes" and "people may sometimes be too unforgiving of people having once been an idiot teenager" then yeah, sure.

Or if we lump in some of the "similar" but not really same issues then absolutely - like the furor around the Epic storefront, how gamergate very quickly devolved into the poo poo that it is now..

But it's ridiculous that people getting called out for recent lovely behavior and/or people doubling down on their past mistakes is somehow "bad". Like, look Mr. President, I would personally fire that person from * because they are a Bad Person but unfortunately, I'm not the one to make that call so let me tweet about it in peace, okay?

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent
I went to look up the quote and here's some additional words from Obama:

Obama went on to note that he is bothered by a trend he sees "among young people particularly on college campuses" where "there is this sense that 'the way of me making change is to be as judgmental as possible about other people and that's enough.'" Added Obama: "That's not activism. That's not bringing about change. if all you're doing is casting stones, you're probably not going to get that far. That's easy to do."

He sounds like a bog standard republican or worse, Jerry Seinfeld.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Great Metal Jesus posted:

I went to look up the quote and here's some additional words from Obama:

Obama went on to note that he is bothered by a trend he sees "among young people particularly on college campuses" where "there is this sense that 'the way of me making change is to be as judgmental as possible about other people and that's enough.'" Added Obama: "That's not activism. That's not bringing about change. if all you're doing is casting stones, you're probably not going to get that far. That's easy to do."

He sounds like a bog standard republican or worse, Jerry Seinfeld.

Yeah, it's pretty disappointing to hear Obama say something like that but, then again, being disappointed by Obama is just a continuation of the trend.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Obama milquetoast,

Y'all just forgot cause the current extreme hellscape.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Uroboros posted:

I've heard they changed the wording to "belief in something greater than yourself" which is a little less restrictive.

The Freemasons in my part of Australia use the wording “supreme being or higher purpose” and the way they interpret that rules out atheism but opens the door to things like agnosticism and deism.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Uroboros posted:

I've heard they changed the wording to "belief in something greater than yourself" which is a little less restrictive. My father leaned on me a while back to join, but I didn't feel comfortable joining an expressly religious organization, based on oaths, when I am not. This was back in the 2013-2014 timeframe, so I may have dodged a bullet not feeling obligated hanging out with mostly 40+ age dudes post 2016 election.

When I was in a program in the early 2000's this was the wording, but it really depends on your group and your sponsor. A lot of people are very not comfortable with non-Christian interpretations of the 12 steps. If you have a home group and a sponsor who's with you then it's really not that big of a deal, but that can be hard to find. Especially if you're being ordered to go by a court you may not have as much agency over those things.

Now that I'm a lot older I can see that 12 Step helped me a lot, but probably isn't that great for addiction. It's incredibly good for codependency, though, and it's sad that side of it has gotten short shrift. My sense is there's a lot more efficacy in it for codependents than there is for the addicts.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Anyone actually interested in 'cancel culture' should just read this
https://newrepublic.com/article/155141/cancel-culture-con-dave-chappelle-shane-gillis

Regardless it's bullshit the right just uses to build outrage.

Obama should just go be rich and stop interfering in poo poo.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Again, obama was derided as a centrist as fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

But we are on an extreme now so we miss him.
He is saying stuff 100% in his wheelhouse.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Linked on twitter, not sent, but jesus

https://twitter.com/wvEsquiress/status/1190073462930493440?s=19

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
is it dumb because it's extremely obviously a bad joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm an old man now and not a memesmith, but i'm pretty sure "christian dads against gang weed" implies that the source of this image is a perspective of fake christian dads making nonsensical memes in response to the nonsensical gang weed memes