Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can I use a kombucha scoby to kickstart a tepache fermentation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Steve Yun posted:

Can I use a kombucha scoby to kickstart a tepache fermentation?

It might just make pineapple kombucha. How far off from tepache is kombucha, flavor-wise? Apparently tepache normally will become vinegar in a few days and you're supposed to drink it before it gets to that stage. A kombucha scoby might just rush it straight to the end. I am not an expert, though, and my noma book is packed up to move.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Does anyone have suggestions about how to adjust this recipe for 15 oz of pumpkin instead of 18? Or where I can get 18 oz cans of pumpkin?

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie.html

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I wouldn't bother changing anything honestly. 15 vs 18 of pumpkin will be negligible. If you're really worried about it, mix all of the other ingredients together, and just take out like 1/4 cup of that mixture before whisking in the pumpkin.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Or add a dollop of apple butter or lekvar to make up the difference, or buy the big can of pumpkin and use only 15 oz of it

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
i would expect a williams sonoma recipe to be designed to trick gullible hamptons-types into buying 9/10ths of a jar of poo poo they don't really need at a 5000% markup. they probably sell an 18 oz can exclusively at the store.

nthing it doesn't matter

e: i meant to say 1/10th of a jar.

fart store fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 29, 2019

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
looks like the edit button has disappeared but you can still get to it by hitting reply and then scrolling down to your post and editing from within the reply menu.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Recipes that use less than a standard size of a canned ingredient can eat my rear end. I wanna mail sunset magazine every half can of tomato paste

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

pile of brown posted:

Recipes that use less than a standard size of a canned ingredient can eat my rear end. I wanna mail sunset magazine every half can of tomato paste

I've been meaning to find it in the tooth paste tubes you see on TV, but I keep buying the same old cans because I'm a creature of habit.

Sometimes a Tablespoon or two is all you really need. I just put plastic wrap on the can and keep it in the fridge.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I started portioning tomato paste into 1 tbsp dollops and then freezing them after wrapping in plastic wrap and it changed my life

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
They have that toothpaste tube of tomato paste that lasts years and years wouldn’t that be easier?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

. I just put plastic wrap on the can and keep it in the fridge.

Freezer guy above has a good idea.

Steve Yun posted:

They have that toothpaste tube of tomato paste that lasts years and years wouldn’t that be easier?

I guess if it's really good that long. I do like the anchovy version of that but it's like 50% salt

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 29, 2019

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

pile of brown posted:

I guess if it's really good that long. I do like the anchovy version of that but it's like 50% salt

It is! Water availability is very low, and unless you gently caress it up there won't be any oxygen to ruin flavors.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The Amore tomato paste in the tubes also taste vastly superior to any canned tomato paste I’ve tried, so there’s that too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

AnonSpore posted:

I started portioning tomato paste into 1 tbsp dollops and then freezing them after wrapping in plastic wrap and it changed my life

This is one of those whoa moments for me, finding out you guys don't have tomato paste in tubes? A lot of food comes in tubes here, and it lasts almost forever that way.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Big Tin owns America

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

His Divine Shadow posted:

This is one of those whoa moments for me, finding out you guys don't have tomato paste in tubes? A lot of food comes in tubes here, and it lasts almost forever that way.

america is a failed country lol

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
We definitely have the Amore tubes of tomato paste, garlic, anchovy, basil, etc. Not all of them in every store, but the tomato one is super common

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I ended up with a bunch of fennel that was bought accidentally at work ("funny looking leeks at the Depot today" he said). I've made two soups and roasted some with root vegetables under a bird. I have one large bulb left. What should I do with it?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

poverty goat posted:

I ended up with a bunch of fennel that was bought accidentally at work ("funny looking leeks at the Depot today" he said). I've made two soups and roasted some with root vegetables under a bird. I have one large bulb left. What should I do with it?

Pickle it!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Shave it for a vinaigrette-based salad imo

Or a broccoli or celery salad

Or send it to meeee

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
My good old sous vide finally died off. Lasted from 2015, so I'm not complaining. Asked about repairs, and they said no, but gave me a discount code. So: Anova Nano or the standard unit? Difference of a hundred bucks. Website doesn't do a great job of differentiating them. Seems like the only difference is the standard will heat more water and the Nano only has wifi, which seems like not a lot for a hundo.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 29, 2019

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I buy lemongrass and ginger in tube for home use. I've also used tomato, anchovy, curry paste and harissa from tubes, I was just surprised that their shelf life was years rather than weeks.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I have a jar of Reese brand grilled marinated artichoke hearts. The expiration date was 3.21.19. Are these safe to eat or will I get botulism or something?

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

pile of brown posted:

Alton Brown's recent thing was putting the can in the freezer and once frozen, remove lids on both ends and use it like a push pop to cut off the amount needed, then put the can in a ziplock. That tube scenario sounds a lot easier though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bartlebee posted:

I have a jar of Reese brand grilled marinated artichoke hearts. The expiration date was 3.21.19. Are these safe to eat or will I get botulism or something?

I assume they’re in a salty vinegar marinade? The flavor may be dull and texture could suffer but I doubt they’d hurt you to try them.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

bartlebee posted:

if the lid isn't bulging and they don't smell off you're fine

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bogart posted:

My good old sous vide finally died off. Lasted from 2015, so I'm not complaining. Asked about repairs, and they said no, but gave me a discount code. So: Anova Nano or the standard unit? Difference of a hundred bucks. Website doesn't do a great job of differentiating them. Seems like the only difference is the standard will heat more water and the Nano only has wifi, which seems like not a lot for a hundo.

Get a joule instead. It’s cheapish, crazy easy to use, heats up super fast and the app is great. I’ve used it at LEAST twice per week for like 3 years with zero problems.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I really like this one brand, they've been good to me

"get this other brand instead"

thanks? :v:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bogart posted:

I really like this one brand, they've been good to me

"get this other brand instead"

thanks? :v:

A lot can change in 4 years. It's a rule that if forums posters nominate a brand you must acquiesce though.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Doom Rooster posted:

Get a joule instead. It’s cheapish, crazy easy to use, heats up super fast and the app is great. I’ve used it at LEAST twice per week for like 3 years with zero problems.

I see they still haven't added physical controls to their device. I mean yeah I always have my phone on me but it's way easier to just set the temp and click go on the device. Also at this point of 3 years of use I remembered every cook temp for the proteins I make.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The nano should be fine and cheap enough that you can get two for when you need to cook for a party

Its water resistance is a big improvement over the original anovas

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

pile of brown posted:

I buy lemongrass and ginger in tube for home use. I've also used tomato, anchovy, curry paste and harissa from tubes, I was just surprised that their shelf life was years rather than weeks.
I think once opened, you are supposed to use it within a couple weeks according to the packaging. But in use it does seem to last way longer

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

How do you buy a pineapple?

I saw some voodoo BS on Facebook about how to ripen pineapples, and I realized that mere fact that I was entertaining doing it was proof that I know nothing about buying ripe pineapples. The woman likes pineapple, so lately I've been buying them regularly, but I never get good ones.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Just buy one with no obvious defects.

Put it on your counter.

Smell it once a day. If you can smell pineapple sweetness, cut it open that day.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Bogart posted:

Wasn't it a bunch of change? I'm thinking of prices now and going back to 2015 when they were ostensibly higher. I just figure if it had happened to me that I would be complaining about it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Just buy one with no obvious defects.

Put it on your counter.

Smell it once a day. If you can smell pineapple sweetness, cut it open that day.

Smell the rear end in a top hat lookin spot on the bottom, it should be very pineapple sweet.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
We're talking about pineapples, right?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Lawnie posted:

Smell the rear end in a top hat lookin spot on the bottom, it should be very pineapple sweet.

Hey I thought you weren’t going to tell people about our little sessions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hmm, I've been squeezing... trying to find the exact right level of give. I'll start sniffing butts instead.