Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Captain Magic posted:

Yeah I’m all about that FT Astrotrain.

What do you think of the FansHobby PowerBaser? I’ve been daydreaming about the Nemesis version for a while.

i like him a ton, he's very playable and poseable for a big combined-mode bot. he's much better articulated in combined mode than a lot of takara MP releases, and he has surprisingly good balance:

I only really have one gripe with him, which is that they were so committed to not partsforming that his combined mode head is on a long arm thing that is a bastard to thread between his non-combined feet to get into position. it makes transforming him into his combined mode finnicky and kind of a pain in the rear end. I would have preferred the larger head to just be a separate piece. Its not a massive issue though, it could just be me. i've not heard anyone else bring it up as a complaint

one thing a lot of people complain about, but i don't mind, is there is some hollowness either side of his ab grill in his uncombined robot mode:

(this pic also shows off that you can turn his big fusion cannon things into neat pistols)

I think for SG prime or Nemesis it kind of works to their advantage, it gives a more sinister skeletal type look in contrast to the big belly combined mode. I think especially in darker colours it is far less noticeable.

the base robot is a lot of fun to play with too, he's MP-10 height, and the only piece of articulation he's missing is a double knee bend. otherwise he has double elbows, ab crunch, waist swivel, ball jointed head, etc. Sometime I like to display the base robot standing on his trailer in some kind of action pose, the trailer sits kind of sloped when its not hitched to the truck, so he looks very cool standing on an angled surface with his guns. unfortunately i don't have a pic of it right now.

everything ive bought from fans hobby has been very high quality, but also very playable. i never feel uncomfortable with them like i'm going to break anything or scratch paint, and they still look fantastic. Double Evil was my first third party purchase, and in a lot of ways still my favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Captain Magic posted:

Yeah I’m all about that FT Astrotrain.

What do you think of the FansHobby PowerBaser? I’ve been daydreaming about the Nemesis version for a while.

I'd probably have bought one if it didn't have the dumb feet behind his head. The God Ginrai mode also mostly makes him look fat rather than powerful. The wait for a good MP PM OP continues.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

from the side hes not actually that fat, seeing the backpack from the front makes him look a bit fatter than he actually is. his chest doesnt come that far forward from his hips.

i think most of my other gripes are poo poo they carried over from the original toy, like the base robot having a second truck cab on his back.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I didn't realize Fans Hobby (who are good, right?) were making a Minerva

A quick glance at the thread on tfw2005 demonstrates why this fandom is contracting though, hoboy

edit: not sexism, mostly, though the one guy says the design "looks like a prepubescent boy" but rather scale insanity. Wall to wall scale insanity.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ratchet is finally up on Walgreens’ site. Downside is he’s listed as not being sold in stores, and you can’t currently add him to the basket yet.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

I didn't realize Fans Hobby (who are good, right?) were making a Minerva

A quick glance at the thread on tfw2005 demonstrates why this fandom is contracting though, hoboy

edit: not sexism, mostly, though the one guy says the design "looks like a prepubescent boy" but rather scale insanity. Wall to wall scale insanity.

fans hobby are good, and yeah people are loving nuts about scale. there are people literally furious about the fans toys stunticons being the size they are.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

The_Doctor posted:

Ratchet is finally up on Walgreens’ site. Downside is he’s listed as not being sold in stores, and you can’t currently add him to the basket yet.

I saw him down here in Miami which was a surprise. We seemed to get WreckGar pretty late. I passed but next time I'm getting him. Ironhide is one of the very few Siege guys I have but it's a good mold and Ratchet getting a good figure is rare and should be encouraged.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Thanks for the thoughts on FH PowerBaser! I’m still fairly interested but I just saw preorders for DX9 Gabriel are $100 off at BBTS ($180) so I’m going with that instead.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Welp

https://twitter.com/markerguru/status/1189227197472608256

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

The_Doctor posted:

I'd try now. I was having that happen earlier today and a bit ago but when I finished making a pitcher of iced tea it let me add to cart and order.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I had to stop at Walgreen's on my way home today and somebody had thrown a bunch of Siege figures at the shelves.

I stopped at two Ratchets.

I would just like to say that it's never too early to plan for Secret Santa. ;)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I would just like to say that it's never too early to plan for Secret Santa. ;)

You say early... :ohdearsass:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

from the side hes not actually that fat, seeing the backpack from the front makes him look a bit fatter than he actually is. his chest doesnt come that far forward from his hips.

i think most of my other gripes are poo poo they carried over from the original toy, like the base robot having a second truck cab on his back.

I've seen him in person several times. He looks fat.

Someone will make a better one eventually. I can wait. I waited this long for an MP Astrotrain that doesn't look like crap, I can wait for a proper Ginrai down the road.

fans hobby are good, and yeah people are loving nuts about scale. there are people literally furious about the fans toys stunticons being the size they are.

Which makes zero sense, because the Fanstoys ones are the only properly scaled Stunticons. For such an obsessive fandom, the TFW people get stuff blatantly wrong hilariously often.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's the hobby I've been in which is most prone to people declaring things as fact and then when pressed admitting three days into an argument that they're talking about their own fanfiction. Not even 40k fans are this bad.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

You say early... :ohdearsass:

My Santee will be quite pleased this year.

Quite pleased.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Friend gave me the heads up so I stopped at. Walgreens on the way to work and nabbed myself a Ratchet.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Arquinsiel posted:

It's the hobby I've been in which is most prone to people declaring things as fact and then when pressed admitting three days into an argument that they're talking about their own fanfiction. Not even 40k fans are this bad.

I would not go that far. The TG 40k goons alone are practically unbearably groupthink loonies. And they at least aren't a bunch of right wingers like 40k attracts. Most of the tf nuts are just psychos who spend too much money on toys. And unlike 40k you really don't need other fans to actually enjoy Transformers unless you are some peacocking showoff.

(All fandoms mostly poo poo though.)

But yeah I found 2 Ratchets at the closest Walgreens today and only got one in spite of totally wanting to rip him out of the box and giving him G1 Marvel helmet colors and IDW Lost Light hands. My Ratchet has more red bits and or is Dr Cottle from Battlestar Galactica 00s series.

He looks loving great in box though. Part of the reason I'll miss Windows in packaging and why I don't like ordering online. Even if I might have to if I really want Powerdashers or any of the Siege Minicons past Wave 1 which I refuse to accept exist.

(Also transparent packaging means if you dont want to dust or damage resale value you can still enjoy the toy without it being some kind of Schrodinger's Birth Control product. Also the Internet as Thew shows me how great Prime Wheeljack and Dead End are and mine can stay on card. I got multiple 5 dollar Vehicons so I can comfortably enjoy that amazing transformation in the normal edition.)

Vvv I'm aware they are very different but it's more a yay I at least opened one Deluxe class Prime toy. Even if we didnt get all the rad variants Japan and the conventions did. Vvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 30, 2019

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's a difference between being a lovely person and being the kind of person who expects everyone else to know what's in your head and agree with it.

Also the Vehicon and Wheeljack transformations are totally different, so you're missing out.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'd love to pitch a show that builds on a lot of the great themes that IDW has introduced to the franchise the last decade.

Gender-swapped versions of about half the characters, a cast using every already existing toy and a few new ones (allowing Hasbro to dive deep into the back catalog), multiple Autobots named Optimus or Hot Rod is handled like multiple humans having the name David or Brenda. Various mythologies exist but no meeting the gods or discovering the origin of their species, no explaining "this is how boy robots and girl robots came to be", in fact how TFs reproduce is obliquely referred to but never explained.

TFs are long-lived but not stupidly so; estimated maximum lifespan can be 50-60k years but due to war nobody is really sure, a few long-lived examples exist but they're rare for just having survived that long.

The civil war has lasted so long across so many generations that nobody's really sure what started it anymore, and each side's beliefs and values have mutated so many times over the millenia that they've essentially swapped being the bad guys and good guys multiple times (although neither side would believe that). The war's been won multiple times by each side, but they can never get the peace to stick before it flares up again, be it decades, centuries, or maybe 1-2 times millenia later.

Pick it up after the most recent victory- the Autobots have won, Cybertron and the near colonies are theirs, and now the challenges they face are:

- Transitioning from a wartime government to a peacetime system
- How to demobilize and reintegrate the absolutely huge navy and army that the Autobots had to build to win the war
- How to deal with a Navy and Army that maybe don't feel like being downsized and reintegrated, and who try to find new reasons to justify their size
- How to integrate the countless Decepticons still on planet and scattered across the stars, who vary in temperament from wanting to integrate to wanting to start the war over again.
- Convincing all the other races in their arm of the galaxy that no, the war really is over this time guys, and yes, the good guys really did win it this time, and yes, we want to be a part of the larger galactic society, and no, we promise we're not going to screw it up this time with our civil war we promise

- Humanity is essentially extinct and scattered across the stars, the Autobots don't like to talk about why, the Decepticons love mocking the Autobots over why, we never ever actually find out why but it's very subtextually put forth that the Autobots dropped the ball in protecting them and now the few remaining humans want nothing to do with the entire Cybertronian race
- The strategic decision made is that the easiest way to alleviate internal pressures on Cybertron and the home colonies is a manifest destiny-style expansion, which first starts with the intention of reintegrating lost TF colonies but threatens to spin out of control into empire-building and war with other races
- Sci-fi hardness scale is "Hard". FTL exists but is difficult, enough wonder science exists to make fantastical plots possible but not the "slapped together invention that rewrites the laws of physics saves the Enterprise" level of silliness.

Unicron is a boogeyman. He never shows up.

That's the poo poo that plays in my head. It'd be dumb to expect anyone else to know it, much less agree with it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Rufus posted:

(All fandoms mostly poo poo though.)
Nah, not at all. It's always the top 5% weirdos that stand out and make completely insane posts.

The question is how loving bonkers the top 5% are and I'm still gonna put Star Citizen people spending 57k on tech demo and saying someone doesn't deserve a refund for an unfinished ... game... when the reason is the guy developed loving MS... Anyway they loving win that prize. Then probably WWE stans, then the 40k and TF people just do not even rate.

The scale thing is just weird since it's so unique and completely not supported by canon. If someone told me all these years later that the cartoon was intentionally written to be each episode is in a parallel dimension from the last I would nod my head and take it as completely acceptable. I mean it's not, but you couldn't prove it. You couldn't prove anything.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

everyone on tfw2005 is obsessed with the idea that the stunticons are meant to be the same height as the autobot cars because they're... both cars. they're also very mad that motormaster is taller than mp prime. to me it makes sense for him to be big cause he is effectively doing the work of two constructicons in a combiner that is the same size as devastator.

none of the scramble city style combiners are on the sacred sunbow scale chart so it's all guesswork, but the non-hosed up looking scenes in the cartoon show the stunticons being seeker height, with motormaster being head and shoulders taller than the others, which would seem to confirm that fans toys are the only people making them in the correct scale.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Some people are all weirdly primordial about height. I don't really get it, but it seems like there's something deep down inside them that cares deeply about relative heights. (of course, if Motormaster and Optimus are supposed to be the same vehicle, then it follows that motormaster's shoes should be about the size of one of Optimus's pecs)

And then they write all about it on their dating site profile or construct conspiracy theories about celebrities (which sometimes are true because celebrities also get super weird about height).

GD_American posted:

Gender-swapped versions of about half the characters, a cast using every already existing toy and a few new ones (allowing Hasbro to dive deep into the back catalog), multiple Autobots named Optimus or Hot Rod is handled like multiple humans having the name David or Brenda. Various mythologies exist but no meeting the gods or discovering the origin of their species, no explaining "this is how boy robots and girl robots came to be", in fact how TFs reproduce is obliquely referred to but never explained.

I've always thought it was weird to expect newer Transformers series to dive deep into the catalogues for old characters, when at best only 10% of all those characters have had much fleshing out beyond a promotional paragraph on their toy packaging.

Although with the more adult series like what you're talking about, often the main concern is appeasing older collectors' expectations rather than being able to rely on children being satisfied with something new.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

yeah i'd get it if they were just like 'i prefer smaller stunticons for my collection', its fine to have preferences, its the fact that they are mad about it like 'oh fans toys REALLY hosed UP this time!'. its not just that they don't like them being big, its that them being big is wrong somehow.

scale is hosed in transformers and always has been. the sunbow chart is missing like 90% of the characters and the show didnt even stick to the scale chart anyway.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

yeah i'd get it if they were just like 'i prefer smaller stunticons for my collection', its fine to have preferences, its the fact that they are mad about it like 'oh fans toys REALLY hosed UP this time!'. its not just that they don't like them being big, its that them being big is wrong somehow.

scale is hosed in transformers and always has been. the sunbow chart is missing like 90% of the characters and the show didnt even stick to the scale chart anyway.

And, on top of that, in the cartoon the limb bots are routinely shown to be about shoulder/chest height to the team leaders and the team leaders are routinely shown to be the size of Optimus and Megatron. The limbs are much bigger than the standard Autobot cars. The Combaticon limbs are the same size as Starscream throughout "Starscream's Brigade." The fact that Fanstoys can get their limb Stunticons to be correctly sized robots that compress down into car modes the size of MP Sideswipe is an engineering marvel.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If anything I'd be happiest with the vehicles being in scale were I to get hissy about it, but the idea of trying to force multiple manufacturers to keep a consistent scale in this franchise when they're working off the MP line that itself keeps changing scale is just... :smithicide:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've always thought it was weird to expect newer Transformers series to dive deep into the catalogues for old characters, when at best only 10% of all those characters have had much fleshing out beyond a promotional paragraph on their toy packaging.

Although with the more adult series like what you're talking about, often the main concern is appeasing older collectors' expectations rather than being able to rely on children being satisfied with something new.

I’ll be honest it was purely a sop to “it’d probably be cheaper for Hasbro to make toys for”. If it’s all original toys and characters I’d be perfectly ok with it, I’m on record as saying they needed new ones for a while now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh.

I need to start putting my display wall back together but I'm so unmotivated.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

If anything I'd be happiest with the vehicles being in scale were I to get hissy about it, but the idea of trying to force multiple manufacturers to keep a consistent scale in this franchise when they're working off the MP line that itself keeps changing scale is just... :smithicide:

Also it's just not feasible, even moreso than the robot modes. FT Silverbolt's Concorde mode is way too small but it's almost too big to fit diagonally in a detolf. A properly scaled Concorde would be FT Fort Max sized at least.

Daaku Shinsei
Feb 26, 2003

Is it me, or are all Ratchets packaged with a sullen head down look?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Daaku Shinsei posted:

Is it me, or are all Ratchets packaged with a sullen head down look?

Yeah, they are. Doing the chest properly fixes it, thankfully.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Keldroc posted:

Also it's just not feasible, even moreso than the robot modes. FT Silverbolt's Concorde mode is way too small but it's almost too big to fit diagonally in a detolf. A properly scaled Concorde would be FT Fort Max sized at least.

Hence why we keep suggesting that Hasbro should do a line using GI Joe vehicles, those things both have an established scale with each other, and most of them would scale over fairly reasonably for a Transformers version without having to mess with that scale(minus a couple outliers like the USS Flagg)

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Hence why we keep suggesting that Hasbro should do a line using GI Joe vehicles, those things both have an established scale with each other, and most of them would scale over fairly reasonably for a Transformers version without having to mess with that scale(minus a couple outliers like the USS Flagg)

They did that already as SDCC exclusives. They were pretty cool, but the lack of transforming is kind of a big negative. And you can't really make stuff that size transform without skyrocketing the price into MP territory. There's a reason they went with a much smaller scale for stuff like M.A.S.K. and Dino Riders.

Meanwhile, Unicron continues to inspire feelings.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i hope the FT astrotrain is around road king's size, i'd like him to be a large boy. the older steam engines are around freight truck sized so he could have at least one alt mode kind of in-scale with the cars.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Keldroc posted:

They did that already as SDCC exclusives. They were pretty cool, but the lack of transforming is kind of a big negative. And you can't really make stuff that size transform without skyrocketing the price into MP territory. There's a reason they went with a much smaller scale for stuff like M.A.S.K. and Dino Riders.

Meanwhile, Unicron continues to inspire feelings.

Well I meant for a proper Transformers version things would be shrunk down as well(so for example if we kept it so most vehicles still had pilots, they'd be shrunk down from the standard 3.75 inch scale, down to about the size of the pilot figures from the new Diaclone line), should have been kinda obvious really

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

i hope the FT astrotrain is around road king's size, i'd like him to be a large boy. the older steam engines are around freight truck sized so he could have at least one alt mode kind of in-scale with the cars.

FT Astrotrain is about Seeker sized, maybe a hair taller, which is the correct scale for robot mode in the show. Motormaster is much bigger.

drrockso20 posted:

Well I meant for a proper Transformers version things would be shrunk down as well(so for example if we kept it so most vehicles still had pilots, they'd be shrunk down from the standard 3.75 inch scale, down to about the size of the pilot figures from the new Diaclone line), should have been kinda obvious really

Not obvious at all, since the scale would definitely change to fit the existing price points they use. Scaling the toys using the vehicle modes is a non-starter as soon as you have more than one vehicle type. Even the Studio Series gave up on it. And of course the GI Joe vehicles are not in scale with each other by any stretch of the imagination, either. They're big enough to fit a figure in them but they're not scale representations of the vehicles they're based on.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 30, 2019

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

that's fair, i think pretty much all my tfs who aren't dinobots are in robot mode basically all the time. i think i just like road king so much i want every other tf to be like him.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

that's fair, i think pretty much all my tfs who aren't dinobots are in robot mode basically all the time. i think i just like road king so much i want every other tf to be like him.

I mean this is a completely reasonable takeaway from Road King. He's phenomenally good. I like Maverick a lot, too, but Road King is in a class of his own so far.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Keldroc posted:

FT Astrotrain is about Seeker sized, maybe a hair taller, which is the correct scale for robot mode in the show. Motormaster is much bigger.

Not obvious at all, since the scale would definitely change to fit the existing price points they use. Scaling the toys using the vehicle modes is a non-starter as soon as you have more than one vehicle type. Even the Studio Series gave up on it. And of course the GI Joe vehicles are not in scale with each other by any stretch of the imagination, either. They're big enough to fit a figure in them but they're not scale representations of the vehicles they're based on.

Honestly I'm not seeing it as difficult as your thinking it would be, and yeah obviously GI Joe vehicles don't match up with their real world equivalents, but I was talking about how they scale with each other in the toyline, not in the fiction(though I do admit there would probably have to be a little fudging on the smallest and biggest ends of the scale)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I completely forgot I ordered Springer from BBTS like half a year ago and they finally shipped it. I didn’t realize he’s a little bigger than the Titans figures, but it’s cool I have a nearly complete set of the 86 movie team (still need an ultra magnus).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Siege Magnus is a rock solid choice unless you're more into the IDW look.

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I'm not seeing it as difficult as your thinking it would be, and yeah obviously GI Joe vehicles don't match up with their real world equivalents, but I was talking about how they scale with each other in the toyline, not in the fiction(though I do admit there would probably have to be a little fudging on the smallest and biggest ends of the scale)

So trading one nonsensical set of scaling choices for another? I don't really see the point in that sense. I'd be all for GI Joe vehicle themed TFs but it wouldn't do the vehicle mode scaling any favors. If you stuck to tanks and jeeps, maybe, but once you're out of a single vehicle category, as always, it goes to hell. The planes are hilariously small compared to the ground vehicles.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 30, 2019