Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

Two days later and I’m walking with my knees locked cause my thigh muscles are destroyed. I look like Vince McMahon.
ahahaha i've experienced that, it's the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I probably can’t do World 2 until I recover from that, I tried 1-1 again and I had to take a break - something about constantly squatting is tough as gently caress on me. That’s it for today, I guess. This game really will last a very long time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am on difficulty 25 and feel completely wrecked after two levels (or one boss) and yet my heart rate hasn't gone above Moderate

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

^^^ :eyepop:

Also, I was wrong - 97% heart rate, not 91%.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Skipped today as we're out of town at the in laws, but ended up literally pulling trees across our ranch, so i got my workout in. Gonna try to get a few levels in tomorrow if the power stays on.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh dang this is gonna be hard to find in a month or so isn't it? looks like places are a couple weeks backordered already in Canada.

looking for a good exercise video game since I destroyed too many controllers with sweat playing Soundboxing on my Vive.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
day 7 and squats are significantly easier to do!!

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I was doing fine today until I hit the "leg gym" in world 5.

My thought process went something like this:

Oh hey, mountain climbers! Didn't know this game had those, that's cool. Wonder when I unlock that mo-OH GOD NO MY LEGS :gonk:

Decided I was done for the day after that, lol

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Xad posted:

I was doing fine today until I hit the "leg gym" in world 5.

My thought process went something like this:

Oh hey, mountain climbers! Didn't know this game had those, that's cool. Wonder when I unlock that mo-OH GOD NO MY LEGS :gonk:

Decided I was done for the day after that, lol
There's a sidequest to ace the leg gym.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

The squat minigame kinda feels hosed up to me, even when I try to go for the lightest squat it goes full out, anyone else have this issue?
I wish I could like, calibrate my squat by first doing a full squat so it can detect my full range of motion.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I'm going to have to pick this up, aren't I?

I've a gym membership I'm too lazy to use, but I'm fairly sure that Watching Numbers Go Up will be the thing I need to trick my brain into doing things. Plus, my wife enjoys going for a run, but it's tricky when the days get shorter Because Murders, so it will be nice to have something we can both do in the comfort of our own, currently murderer free, home.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Flint_Paper posted:

I'm going to have to pick this up, aren't I?

I've a gym membership I'm too lazy to use, but I'm fairly sure that Watching Numbers Go Up will be the thing I need to trick my brain into doing things. Plus, my wife enjoys going for a run, but it's tricky when the days get shorter Because Murders, so it will be nice to have something we can both do in the comfort of our own, currently murderer free, home.

I have zero motivation to exercise on my own. I haven't missed a day since getting this game and I'm excited to play/work out with it every day.

My only small complaint is that it's not easy to target a specific type of workout in the adventure mode. Maybe that will change post game or later on. Like if I want a level that's mostly jogging and the light exercises in the jogging sections I can't just do that. Like world 6 is just boss battles, so you're doing a lot less cardio and way more squats or whatever attacks you have set.

That said, get it for sure! As a game it's very well done, oozing with charm, and both fun and engaging. As an exercise aid, it's got me sweating and working tons of different muscles.

It is single player only so hopefully fighting over the game doesn't alter the current murder-related state of your home.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

organburner posted:

The squat minigame kinda feels hosed up to me, even when I try to go for the lightest squat it goes full out, anyone else have this issue?
I wish I could like, calibrate my squat by first doing a full squat so it can detect my full range of motion.

I think I tried doing this during initial calibration and it mighta made things worse cause constant squatting sucks oh my god. I don’t like the silent mode running solution, but I’m worried that default mode will be just as hellacious.

Something about the silent mode motion rubs me the wrong way. I can’t get it down right.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 29, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

RFA gave me a potion that gives you an instant level-up. I'm never drinking it until the endgame.

So far the adventure mode has really been about picking the right stimulants.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't wait for world 5 with all this talk of squats. Bitch got legs 💪.

How's World 4 Dragaux? Anything I should know in advance about him? Should I have the health restore skill on or just go for the attack skills? (also the sub boss for the rowing power is a dick for summoning more minions, but their health was low enough a few warrior poses took him out and I beat the fight easy. The overhead lean thing is strong and easy. Didn't even need to recover health that fight.)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Manuel Calavera posted:

How's World 4 Dragaux? Anything I should know in advance about him?
He's got a big attack which either kills you instantly or can be blocked completely. They show you the usual abs guard, but with legs wide and in a light squat. What the game relays very poorly is that you need to squat pretty low to see your shield grow super big, and work.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
If you're at or close to the recommended level for a battle you should have no trouble clearing it. However if you're at the point where you have a healing move, the game is tuned so that you will need to heal during boss battles. Smoothies are great because they don't use a turn. Money is plentiful so don't be afraid to buy ingredients if the healing moves kick your rear end.

Regular ab guard barely registers on the abs but Mega Ab Guard man, you really feel it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I just recently (like, 2 weeks ago) started lifting dumbbells at home in an attempt to not be a worthless piece of poo poo, and thinking of picking this up. My impression of this game was mostly cardio but with like some leg and ab workouts thrown in, would it thus compliment my dumbbells well? I’ll probably pick it up regardless, but would be nice if I could tie it into my newly made routine I’m hoping to not abandon. How long are average play sessions, roughly?

Also, how is this game as an RPG, ignoring the workout parts? :v:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

I just recently (like, 2 weeks ago) started lifting dumbbells at home in an attempt to not be a worthless piece of poo poo, and thinking of picking this up. My impression of this game was mostly cardio but with like some leg and ab workouts thrown in, would it thus compliment my dumbbells well? I’ll probably pick it up regardless, but would be nice if I could tie it into my newly made routine I’m hoping to not abandon. How long are average play sessions, roughly?

Also, how is this game as an RPG, ignoring the workout parts? :v:

There's actually way more work on and and legs because the resistance ring can only offer so much on the arms, so it will absolutely complement a non-game arm regimen. I finish with my legs very aware of themselves and my arms just a little confused and unsure if we did anything strenuous. Lots of shoulder and back work as well.

The game tracks the time you spend actively moving and I try to go for 20-35 minutes. One level is usually 5-10 minutes and the minigames are like 60-90 seconds. There are also micro workouts in custom mode or you can build sets of your exercise of choice.

The RPG mechanics are excellent. There is some strategy to your loadout, like picking single target vs. AoE , having a good color mix so you can target weaknesses, and using smoothies to buff specific attacks or change attack colors. You get xp from everything, which means I'll just do extra ring presses or pulls during the jogging section just for xp. The skill tree is cool but it's no FFX or path of exile. There are also equipment sets, boss battles with surprise mechanics, and fun minigames (whack-a-robot with the ring is great).

Get it get it get it. I can't stop telling people about this game.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Welp, ya sold me, time to find a copy near me!

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

I just tried squattery wheel for the first time and I like it! I didn't think I would, but being told that I suck and getting 0 pts right off the bat lit a fire inside me to do better. These mini-games keep surprising me.

I usually play for at least 20 active minutes, this can take me anywhere from half an hour when focused to an hour + if I'm resting and engaged in some other task at the same time. Then I usually pop into the mini-games or other exercise programming for a little bit to work on something I feel I missed or just want to play for fun. I'm definitely not getting that same sore feeling as the first few days, but that is just how DOMs works and I always miss it when my body adjusts to a new activity. :shrug: I really want all my friends to pick this up so I can CHALLENGE THEM ON THE LEADERBOARD, and I've been making anyone who will humor me play the robot game as well. I think it sells itself at that point.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I haven’t worked out in like 6 months, my upper body is still strong but squats kick my butt.

If anyone wants to exchange reps I’m LeafyOrb on switch.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Gonna need your switch code, it's in the friends tab.

We can start a list if folks want

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

Gonna need your switch code, it's in the friends tab.

We can start a list if folks want

I always forget that’s still a thing with Nintendo

SW-3184-4832-9901

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This game won't even let me attempt planks, I get into the starting position and just stay there and it won't register?
I've tried moving the thigh strap but it didn't seem to help, is there some way I can test out exercises out of combat?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

organburner posted:

This game won't even let me attempt planks, I get into the starting position and just stay there and it won't register?
I've tried moving the thigh strap but it didn't seem to help, is there some way I can test out exercises out of combat?

Try keeping your legs very still? I noticed if I was moving them at all it wouldn't let me start, since that's how the game calibrates where your starting position is.

You should also be able to try individual exercises in the custom exercise mode from the main menu, but I haven't tried it so I'm not exactly sure how it works

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Xad posted:

Try keeping your legs very still? I noticed if I was moving them at all it wouldn't let me start, since that's how the game calibrates where your starting position is.

You should also be able to try individual exercises in the custom exercise mode from the main menu, but I haven't tried it so I'm not exactly sure how it works

I kept them as still as I could.
Man that attack looks so good, too bad I can't use it ):

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

organburner posted:

I kept them as still as I could.
Man that attack looks so good, too bad I can't use it ):

If it's any consolation, I think I was somehow doing them wrong because I managed to give myself rugburn (yoga mat burn?) on my elbows after two days of using planks

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It is Wednesday, I did world 1 on Saturday, and only now are my thighs starting to recover. Haven’t played since. Maybe I’ll try default mode and see if it’s less painful on my thighs.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Xad posted:

If it's any consolation, I think I was somehow doing them wrong because I managed to give myself rugburn (yoga mat burn?) on my elbows after two days of using planks

How?
I don't think your elbows are supposed to move, are you using like a super rough mat?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

organburner posted:

How?
I don't think your elbows are supposed to move, are you using like a super rough mat?

Honestly I'm not sure, I didn't think I was moving my elbows and the mat's pretty soft. Gonna be more careful next time I do planks, but so far I've been taking a break from them.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
My carpet is kinda rough and I got some plank scabs real fast. Definitely use a yoga mat or like a soft bath towel.

organburner posted:

How?

They're not supposed to move but my entire body isn't supposed to scream either and planks kinda make both of those things happen.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

SynthesisAlpha posted:

My carpet is kinda rough and I got some plank scabs real fast. Definitely use a yoga mat or like a soft bath towel.

They're not supposed to move but my entire body isn't supposed to scream either and planks kinda make both of those things happen.

oh there's a trick to that, yell louder than your body.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I definitely got rug burn from the one time I did them with my sleeves rolled up, but I also have fairly delicate skin. Luckily I've moved on from the time when Planks are All-Powerful.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pollyanna posted:

It is Wednesday, I did world 1 on Saturday, and only now are my thighs starting to recover. Havent played since. Maybe Ill try default mode and see if its less painful on my thighs.

I still believe in you! Don't hurt yourself obv, but I know you can do it!

As for me, I bumped my difficulty up to 25 now. Being 32 and standing all day cooking at work, I can manage. I don't use the Planks because fuuucckkk that I don't have a mat for them, just my apartment carpet and an IKEA rug I got for like $10. Thankfully I have better skills for now until the skill upgrades in the currently distant future that do more damage.

I made it to level 5 though. And jesus all that rowing is something. The Dragaux fight before was nothing compared to the endless upriver rowing it felt like. The Squats were fine. But I'm not looking forward to this gym so much, going by a thing I saw on reddit.

Thigh Squeezes are easy though, I can almost chill for those. I'm not sure I have the form quite right for Warrior II though, 1 I have down now, aside from moving a little to fast.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So I learned today that the day after returning from a trip where my 285lb rear end awkwardly dragged luggage about 5 miles over 4 days is not a good day to start this. Felt the knee on the side I dragged my suitcase on pop during the dynamic stretches.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
does this game have multiple profiles for my girlfriend and I to go through the campaign separately?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Yes, every time you start a mode it will ask who is playing.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

The Walrus posted:

does this game have multiple profiles for my girlfriend and I to go through the campaign separately?

Yeah, all you need to do is make another user account on the Switch for your gf if she doesn't already have one, then it'll track everything separately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

When do you get Planks and what style is the exercise?

I've done planks in the past and I'm trying to conceive of this whole rug burn issue