Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
no one:
commander players: only I have friends

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

He's got a very specific idea of what commander should be which is at odds with how a lot of people play it

There you go, that's all it is, people disagree about the right way to play the format that started as throwing bullshit together and seeing what happened

It'll never happen as long as Sheldon lives, but I'd like to see Wizards completely take over the format and kick the rules committee to the curb. Then we'd be more likely to get sensible things like hybrid mana rules that make sense (because Mark Rosewater has said he disagrees with the rules committee on) and probably a better banned list, though I'm not going to argue what should/shouldn't be on it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Wait whats wrong with the hybrid mana rules in commander?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LifeLynx posted:

It'll never happen as long as Sheldon lives, but I'd like to see Wizards completely take over the format and kick the rules committee to the curb. Then we'd be more likely to get sensible things like hybrid mana rules that make sense (because Mark Rosewater has said he disagrees with the rules committee on) and probably a better banned list, though I'm not going to argue what should/shouldn't be on it.

Hybrid Mana is the only thing I'd really change tbh

Other than ban Sol ring

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

AnEdgelord posted:

Wait whats wrong with the hybrid mana rules in commander?

If a card costs G/W hybrid it can only go in a deck with GW identity even though it could be cast in a mono color deck. It's real dumb. it's only marginally less asinine than the red card that you can't play in mono R decks because there's a blue symbol in the text when describing how other players can counter it

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Also you can't run Archangel Avacyn in your mono white commander deck despite it having only white in the mana cost and there isn't a single red mana symbol anywhere on the card.

Also I can't run Elbrus, The Binding Blade as my commander. But I also can't run it in my non-black decks. Its dumb.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Any group that won’t let you run Elbrus as a commander is bad and you shouldn’t play with them.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

whydirt posted:

Any group that won’t let you run Elbrus as a commander is bad and you shouldn’t play with them.

Well that's why I don't play with Shelldor.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Elusive Tormentor/Insidious Mist is my color identity pet peeve for Commander.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

He deactivated his account, lol.

Ally Warfield has confirmed, though, that she found out from Lindsay and went to Harlan Firer at SCG Atlanta last weekend with the info, and Firer agreed that Rudy had to go. Team Nova has (obviously) finished cutting ties with Briksza today, but it appears Jessica Estephan left the team anyway upon finding out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Hybrid Mana debate in Commander is so outrageously overblown. It’s seriously an incredibly small subset of commander players who want to jam Reaper King, Beseech the Queen, and Vexing Shusher in off color decks.

People pretend like it would make the format more diverse when it would actually do the opposite and push certain hybrid cards into cross-color staples. I stand with the Rules committee on that.

The current ban list needs some serious pruning however, but at least they didn’t ban flash, so they’re not completely opposed to broken things happening. The EDH banlist feels like a list of cards that made individual RC members feel bad.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sheldon Points (dropbox link) are the ramblings of a buffoon where he tells you how to have fun in your noncompetitive format. rather than actually make Sol Ring illegal, he clucks his tongue at you if you deign to play one on turn 1 or 2 (turn 3 is ok though!!!!!!!)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

The Hybrid Mana debate in Commander is so outrageously overblown. It’s seriously an incredibly small subset of commander players who want to jam Reaper King, Beseech the Queen, and Vexing Shusher in off color decks.

People pretend like it would make the format more diverse when it would actually do the opposite and push certain hybrid cards into cross-color staples. I stand with the Rules committee on that.

The current ban list needs some serious pruning however, but at least they didn’t ban flash, so they’re not completely opposed to broken things happening. The EDH banlist feels like a list of cards that made individual RC members feel bad.

there's no such thing as "off colour" with hybrid, the whole point is that you can play them in either/any/no colour

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Less snarkily, the rules committee says "here's some basic rules we think cuts out the more egregiously unenjoyable things, but seriously just work it out with your playgroup and have fun", as you would have in any casual magic circle. This, for some reason, upsets people greatly.

There's no attempt to craft a format to any real degree, and they even explicitly disclaim the viability of trying to do so.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
EDH is a kitchen table format, why would you care if some rules committee makes stupid rules? Just ignore them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lone Goat posted:

Sheldon Points (dropbox link) are the ramblings of a buffoon where he tells you how to have fun in your noncompetitive format. rather than actually make Sol Ring illegal, he clucks his tongue at you if you deign to play one on turn 1 or 2 (turn 3 is ok though!!!!!!!)

Yeah that's dumb but you can ignore it people getting wild mad about him is dumb as heck

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

A hearty LOL, my 75% MONO WHITE deck breaks most of these rules.

If you don't think fast mana, land destruction, card advantage, mindslaver effects, etc etc belong in the format, then ban them you coward.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Folks, There’s a commander thread that is just ready and waiting for people to come in and bitch about Sheldon points or whatever. This thread is for complaining about Oko.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlbear Camus posted:

A hearty LOL, my 75% MONO WHITE deck breaks most of these rules.

If you don't think fast mana, land destruction, card advantage, mindslaver effects, etc etc belong in the format, then ban them you coward.

mass land destruction should be punishable with the death penalty

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

fadam posted:

Folks, There’s a commander thread that is just ready and waiting for people to come in and bitch about Sheldon points or whatever. This thread is for complaining about Oko.

my post is a public service announcement to ensure that nobody bespoils themself with commanderers

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The Command Zone guys make some hit-and-miss content, but their Commander Summit two-parter they put out a few months ago is a really enlightening look into how different corners of the EDH community view some of the more contentious stuff we deal with in the format. They get a pretty good cross-section of the different Competitive/High-Level/Kitchen Table/Rules Committee Scrub levels.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lone Goat posted:

my post is a public service announcement to ensure that nobody bespoils themself with commanderers

commander is fine as long as everyone has the same expectation when they sit at the table

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lone Goat posted:

are any other format's players broke brained enough that they get mad when more cards are printed?

aside from Old School I guess

I get kind of mad when they keep printing overpowered cards into Pauper that pretty much make blue even better

MikeCrotch posted:

Can someone explain to those of us who don't play Commander what the problem is with Sheldon Menery?

From what I gather, Sheldon Menery is the reason Sol Ring and Mana Crypt are just fine, but Primeval Titan and Sylvan Primordial are unacceptable.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hellsau posted:

I get kind of mad when they keep printing overpowered cards into Pauper that pretty much make blue even better

From what I gather, Sheldon Menery is the reason Sol Ring and Mana Crypt are just fine, but Primeval Titan and Sylvan Primordial are unacceptable.

ban all four, but mostly? just give people who do MLD the chair

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

ban all four, but mostly? just give people who do MLD the chair

If it makes you feel any better I'll probably never foil out the Catastrophe.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Asymmetrical mass land destruction is bullshit, but if I'm doing it to avoid dying the next turn, everyone at the table has my unqualified consent to tongue my colon.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I have issue with one person’s idea of fun dictating the base rules set for a format to be played by anyone.

To the point “it’s a fake format just ignore them lol” works if you never plan to play with strangers. But that’s the benefit of EDH as a format - it should taken In to account EVERYONE’S idea of fun.

There are some cards that get the axe in the format because of “feel bads” instead of real reasons. Sheldon and his rules committee makes decisions based on emotion rather than logic and that is inherently flawed.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Balon posted:

To the point “it’s a fake format just ignore them lol” works if you never plan to play with strangers. But that’s the benefit of EDH as a format - it should taken In to account EVERYONE’S idea of fun.

I don't play EDH, I will never play EDH, this part is literally impossible.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Commander is garbage for people who have not yet realised that a wide world of games exists that aren't Magic: the Gathering, and those other games are better at providing a fun multiplayer experience with friends than you can get by trying to coerce mtg to handle multiple players.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jabor posted:

Commander is garbage for people who have not yet realised that a wide world of games exists that aren't Magic: the Gathering, and those other games are better at providing a fun multiplayer experience with friends than you can get by trying to coerce mtg to handle multiple players.

drat I hope Sheldon reads this thread!!!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

fadam posted:

I don't play EDH, I will never play EDH, this part is literally impossible.

Yes that's the point I'm trying to make. Their philosophy on the rules committee is "make the game as fun as possible for as many people as possible" but the only concept of 'fun' they make decisions on is their idea of what the format should be. Alienating everyone who doesn't feel the same. This is why cEDH is a thing, but needs to be constrained by the same rules set as the entire format.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Balon posted:

Yes that's the point I'm trying to make. Their philosophy on the rules committee is "make the game as fun as possible for as many people as possible" but the only concept of 'fun' they make decisions on is their idea of what the format should be. Alienating everyone who doesn't feel the same. This is why cEDH is a thing, but needs to be constrained by the same rules set as the entire format.

Maybe, but I don't think the solution of "it's impossible to make "everyone" happy" is to just abandon trying to write rules or control the game at all. There's a billion people out there in mana symbol flat brims who love commander, so clearly the format as is appeals to a huge demographic.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The argument that a ruleset is so bad you must house rule it is never the defense people think it is when they're responding to people saying the rules are bad.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

I assure you the entire project will be carved out of pure Sheldonium and worthless to commander players, but will accidentally include a legacy staple, making one of the precons unattainable by the casual player.

You are the reigning champion of hitting me with sad truths Toshimo

Commander is the best format filled with a lot of the worst people (and run by people who like to say the way you like to have fun is wrong if they don't like it)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AlternateNu posted:

The Command Zone guys make some hit-and-miss content, but their Commander Summit two-parter they put out a few months ago is a really enlightening look into how different corners of the EDH community view some of the more contentious stuff we deal with in the format. They get a pretty good cross-section of the different Competitive/High-Level/Kitchen Table/Rules Committee Scrub levels.

It also made it painfully obvious how disconnected Sheldon is from the community at-large, and what makes rules work.

The banlist's ONLY function is to make it so that I can walk into a convention, gamestore, meetup, etc. with strangers and not have to do the awkward "Uhh.... so what are you guys allowing at your funsies table" thing. If you ban the really problematic stuff that needs it instead of going "Well, Prophet of Kruphix doesn't meet my purity test of what Magic is supposed to be about", then everyone's kinda on the same page and can have chill games with each other. When the rules make no sense and you repeatedly hide behind the shield of "just have your playgroup make their own rules!" garbage, then it's impossible to have a decent game on MODO, or at a con, or with strangers. Figuring this out isn't rocket science, and it's goddamn embarrassing that WotC gave this guy a paid position instead of taking the format away from him.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

"armageddon is not banned but i will be VERY CROSS if you play it"

"of course you are allowed to play sol ring NO NOT YET WHAT THE HECKJ"

"killing a player in the first 10 minutes is no fairsies you have to wait until at least minute 17"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

"It's possible to please everyone, especially Magic players" may be the dumbest thing that's ever come out of this thread.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I can do strip mine loops so any arguments re. land destruction are bunk until that poo poo is gone.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jabor posted:

i disagree, i think its fun

Framboise posted:

You are the reigning champion of hitting me with sad truths Toshimo

Commander is the best format filled with a lot of the worst people (and run by people who like to say the way you like to have fun is wrong if they don't like it)

as opposed to toshimo, who says the same thing but isnt in charge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
He's also an obvious fart huffing grog with nothing to say about anything that isn't his conception of edh.