Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

RandomPauI posted:

Just in case I forgot to vote no, voting no on cia mission, especially given the lack of info provided about the mission.

I don't think we're voting on that per se so much as voting on a plan that does or does not include that (though I agree with you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'm normally not a fan of a line item vote, but seeing as it's tangentially related if you vote for a plan and don't want the CIA strike to happen, note it on your vote.

24 hour notice for plans!

If you need more time to formulate your pachyderm poaching prevention please let me know.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

One final edit to Gunships for Good: Changed Heyena 2 and 3's loadouts to 20x OFAB

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Do we have any idea whether the CIA is going to give us any more information?

Operation Dirty Work but without phase X (CIA objective)

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Do we have any idea whether the CIA is going to give us any more information?

Operation Dirty Work but without phase X (CIA objective)

Nope!

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Yooper posted:

I'm normally not a fan of a line item vote, but seeing as it's tangentially related if you vote for a plan and don't want the CIA strike to happen, note it on your vote.

24 hour notice for plans!

Made a minor edit to Operation ROBIN HOOD to make it clear CIA objective is optional. I'm glad that's a line item vote, otherwise people who don't want to take it would only have one option since mine and Bac's both included it.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Operation Dirty Work, with yes on CIA just to make sure it isn't unanimous.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Night10194 posted:

Working for the Company with absolutely no information on what they want us to do is a good way to end up pissing off someone we would've rather not pissed off, too. If we're going to pick fights, we should at least know who we're pissing off when we splash them.

I think we can make an educated guess about who the CIA wants us to off: it's someone in the Chinese Volunteers.

Think about it. The aircraft is departing from a base on the Zimbabwean border, an area that we know is crawling with Chinese Volunteers. The Chinese are the only major players in the region that we know of. The CIA isn't doing the job itself, which suggests the target is a national of a country the US doesn't want to start a war with.

We are already pissing off the Chinese this mission by shafting them out of millions in ivory and zebra scrotums. After Lhasa, we kinda ensured the Chinese would hate us forever, anyways.

So, we might as well get some much-needed tech out of the deal.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 29, 2019

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Are we ever going to work for one of the Warlords trying to take over China?

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Bacarruda posted:

I think we can make an educated guess about who the CIA wants us to off: it's someone in the Chinese Volunteers.

Think about it. The aircraft is departing from a base on the Zimbabwean border, an area that we know is crawling with Chinese Volunteers. The Chinese are the only major players in the region that we know of. The CIA isn't doing the job itself, which suggests the target is a national of a country the US doesn't want to start a war with.

We are already pissing off the Chinese this mission by shafting them out of millions in ivory and zebra scrotums. After Lhasa, we kinda ensured the Chinese would hate us forever, anyways.

Don't want to splash that civilian plane for the CIA.
Also do want to play with Chinese gear and potentially run a campaign on their part.

It's just far more interesting rather than playing yet another American action movie, running American gear and shooting Russian and Chinese and brown bad guys ad nauseum

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

Counterpoint is that The Company is famously known for underhanded dealings, and screwing over (lethally or otherwise) people who are not all that bad or even completely innocent. While probable that the target has some connection to the Volunteers, it is still a civilian target. A civilian transport that we know nothing about isn't the best thing to start shooting missiles at, leaving off the fact that it is civilian.

The Volunteers are combatants. The Poachers are combatants. There's any number of ways a civilian aircraft could become a viable target, but "the CIA says so" ain't one.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Mr Crustacean posted:

Also do want to play with Chinese gear and potentially run a campaign on their part.

It's just far more interesting rather than playing yet another American action movie, running American gear and shooting Russian and Chinese and brown bad guys ad nauseum

There are some Pacific missions that will lead to a potential to work for a Chinese faction.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Warmachine posted:

Counterpoint is that The Company is famously known for underhanded dealings, and screwing over (lethally or otherwise) people who are not all that bad or even completely innocent. While probable that the target has some connection to the Volunteers, it is still a civilian target. A civilian transport that we know nothing about isn't the best thing to start shooting missiles at, leaving off the fact that it is civilian.

The Volunteers are combatants. The Poachers are combatants. There's any number of ways a civilian aircraft could become a viable target, but "the CIA says so" ain't one.

Counterpoint: Always be warcrimin'. Didn't we vote to drop cluster munitions into an airport in the midst of a populated city the last time round?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just a reminder, the last war crimes got us stripped of bvr weapons.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Mr Crustacean posted:

Don't want to splash that civilian plane for the CIA.

At this point, in-universe the Chinese government has long since been off-limits as a client. And a Chinese warlord (and their gear) is potentially a client whether HG further antagonizes the Chinese government or not. And I certainly agree that just doing nothing but using the best possible American gear over and over and over again would be boring. Which is maybe why we picked the Russian package last procurement and are using mostly Eastern Bloc planes right now?

People should choose whether to take the CIA task or not based on what's happening in-universe, not trying to find the most interesting future storyline. Yooper will no doubt keep things interesting no matter what HG does or doesn't do.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

While having a package of BVR would be nice, I doubt CIA would protect us from the consequences of using that BVR package.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My comment about warcrimes consequences is entirely in character. OOC we probably won't get many more restrictions from warcrimes, but our pilots wouldn't have that sort of meta knowledge.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

My comment about warcrimes consequences is entirely in character. OOC we probably won't get many more restrictions from warcrimes, but our pilots wouldn't have that sort of meta knowledge.

Also true. I almost commented last night that "Warmachine isn't looking to take another trip to The Hague," but I also joined late into the pre-crackdown era, so I don't really know how that'd have shaken out for him.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Out-of-Character it’s probably safe to assume your pilot is effectively invulnerable as a person unless you specifically state otherwise. I mean we’ve lost dozens of jets and nobody had any worse consequences than paperwork.

But, “another”? What aren’t you telling us, mister machine?

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
PSA: If you missed it, CMO/CMANO2 is releasing on Nov 14: https://www.matrixgames.com/news/command-modern-operations-starts-the-engines-out-on-november-14th

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

We may, or may not, do this mission in CMO, depends how my schedule shakes out. The enhanced ground unit stuff could be neat for this mission. Tacview as well, but that's more eye-candy than anything else.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Z the IVth posted:

Counterpoint: Always be warcrimin'. Didn't we vote to drop cluster munitions into an airport in the midst of a populated city the last time round?

And we set artillery to shell a city into oblivion, and dropped some big rear end bombs into a crowded city ourselves.

If by this point you still think we are the good guys, lol. Must've nice being that delusional.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

gohuskies posted:

At this point, in-universe the Chinese government has long since been off-limits as a client. And a Chinese warlord (and their gear) is potentially a client whether HG further antagonizes the Chinese government or not. And I certainly agree that just doing nothing but using the best possible American gear over and over and over again would be boring. Which is maybe why we picked the Russian package last procurement and are using mostly Eastern Bloc planes right now?

People should choose whether to take the CIA task or not based on what's happening in-universe, not trying to find the most interesting future storyline. Yooper will no doubt keep things interesting no matter what HG does or doesn't do.

Really don't want to have entire factions completely and permanently locked and unplayable off due to some mission we ran 2 seasons ago.

The problem with permanently locking off a play faction due to early game events or events last season is that it makes any campaigns we play in the future boil down to -

-want to play with some high end gear/missions
-have locked off every option but the americans
- only option for highend gear/missions is to do favours for the americans/cia
-get high end American gear
- hey which opponents can we shoot - that can reasonably contest
- oh it's shooting russians and chinese people or brown people again
- Scenario: us f-teen series fighters and gbus conducting offensive counter air on runways v3.0

We've already played that campaign already, don't particularly want to repeat it ad nauseum.

Ultimately this is a game that offers variety, in this corporate shadowrun esque universe I don't want to get completely locked in or out of any one factions gear and campaign because of a mission we ran 2 years ago.

Especially since CMO is expanding on the ground and naval realms.
Very much want to try out some ground based missiles and naval units. Of which there are lots of very very interesting Chinese and Russian systems.

Want to see some cooked up scenarios with battleships fighting each other.
Playing with some SAM based ground force against an airborne opponent.
Having some boss fight against a rogue admiral commandeering a Carrier battle group

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

By adding more, smaller, missions my goal was to have more theaters and more plane potential. Some people really want us to get Super Hornets and drop GBU's. Other people want us to fly the most obscure aircraft possible into impossible situations. Some people want a boat. This is cool.

If I know there is interest then I can at least make the options available.

There is one of the missions on offer that leads to a deeper, Chinese-South Pacific, rabbit hole campaign.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Being sworn enemies of the Chinese government does not mean we do not get Chinese gear. We've just had some Chinese MiG-21 clones a mission ago, and in the world of Wild Willy and 3DP, we can always source as many Chinese planes as we are offered by that wacky old curmudgeon, this does not really depend on our standing with the PRC.

And I find it utterly baffling to claim we are only flying American equipment when the most signature assets in HG history were Swedish. Aside from the F-4s, American planes have always been a minor part of our equipment.

Moreover, there are so many factions in the Yooperverse that cutting off just China (and possibly Russia I guess) does not do too much to our array of available jobs... or enemies. We've been dropping bombs on Europeans, corporate Europeans, we got in a scuffle with Elon Musk, we fought Africans, Japanese whalers and mercenaries, we're the Harlem Globetrotters of airborne war crimes at this point.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Tevery Best posted:

Being sworn enemies of the Chinese government does not mean we do not get Chinese gear. We've just had some Chinese MiG-21 clones a mission ago, and in the world of Wild Willy and 3DP, we can always source as many Chinese planes as we are offered by that wacky old curmudgeon, this does not really depend on our standing with the PRC.

And I find it utterly baffling to claim we are only flying American equipment when the most signature assets in HG history were Swedish. Aside from the F-4s, American planes have always been a minor part of our equipment.

Moreover, there are so many factions in the Yooperverse that cutting off just China (and possibly Russia I guess) does not do too much to our array of available jobs... or enemies. We've been dropping bombs on Europeans, corporate Europeans, we got in a scuffle with Elon Musk, we fought Africans, Japanese whalers and mercenaries, we're the Harlem Globetrotters of airborne war crimes at this point.

Completely cutting off 2 of 3 great power factions forever - so we never ever play any missions on their campaigns is really, really boring.
And it pretty much ensures that we will always end up playing as the american faction/gear come high end missions and always end up shooting russians or chinese gear in the endgame/high end missions

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mr Crustacean posted:

Completely cutting off 2 of 3 great power factions forever - so we never ever play any missions on their campaigns is really, really boring.
And it pretty much ensures that we will always end up playing as the american faction/gear come high end missions and always end up shooting russians or chinese gear in the endgame/high end missions

Procurement is completely divorced from who we are taking missions from. Like yeah, you might be able to get the Russians to give us a PAK-FA if we take Russian contracts enough (Yooper?), but 99% of everything we get is gonna be from unaffiliated 3DP groups like Willy, Ivanov, Broadstreet, Adnan's Place, etc.

I feel like you're trying to make hay out of this.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Warmachine posted:

Procurement is completely divorced from who we are taking missions from. Like yeah, you might be able to get the Russians to give us a PAK-FA if we take Russian contracts enough (Yooper?), but 99% of everything we get is gonna be from unaffiliated 3DP groups like Willy, Ivanov, Broadstreet, Adnan's Place, etc.

I feel like you're trying to make hay out of this.

My point is that not taking any missions from Russia or China for the rest of this entire game is really dull.
Because it results in us only having 1 great power we get missions/gear/narratives from.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'm not really playing but I feel like you're way blowing things out of proportion. Most of the missions we've been offered have a variety of employers, and Yooper's made it clear that we still have access to Chinese employers. So you're worried because if Yooper's building a campaign in a format different to the one he's done so far, and if we keep picking missions that look fun but aren't from Chinese employers, then we might get more missions from the US and US-aligned entities, which might prevent us from getting missions from China?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Whatever people want to pick for whatever reason, whether it's because it's just cool poo poo or it's botes and they rule or there's good in-character reasoning should just go with what they feel and know that it will end in disaster and be awesome.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Arcturas posted:

I'm not really playing but I feel like you're way blowing things out of proportion. Most of the missions we've been offered have a variety of employers, and Yooper's made it clear that we still have access to Chinese employers. So you're worried because if Yooper's building a campaign in a format different to the one he's done so far, and if we keep picking missions that look fun but aren't from Chinese employers, then we might get more missions from the US and US-aligned entities, which might prevent us from getting missions from China?

No, my point is I want us to be able to take missions from everyone.

Absolutely oppose restricting our mission/narrative choices because of a campaign we did 2 years ago.

Some dude wanted to stop us from ever getting
missions from russia or china and I oppose that

I want us to always be able to pick something that we want to play, and not to be restricted in what missions we take

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I propose we paint Winnie the Pooh on all our planes.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mr Crustacean posted:

No, my point is I want us to be able to take missions from everyone.

Absolutely oppose restricting our mission/narrative choices because of a campaign we did 2 years ago.

Some dude wanted to stop us from ever getting
missions from russia or china and I oppose that

I want us to always be able to pick something that we want to play, and not to be restricted in what missions we take

This was never said. The person you cited when this started was saying that, given our previous relationship with China (antagonistic), Chinese government contracts are off the table.

1) This person is not Yooper, so while the assessment makes sense, it also doesn't have any weight behind it at all
2) Russia was never mentioned until this debate (made wholly out of straw) started.
3) There is nothing preventing us from taking a Chinese contract on the open market, and :smug:ing our way through that entire mission, which I would find particularly hilarious.

Your fears are unfounded, and what you are arguing against is made of straw. :chillpill:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Given our history, the Chinese should be trying really hard to hire us. They know what we can do, and that's the classic ploy when dealing with mercs.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Warmachine posted:

This was never said. The person you cited when this started was saying that, given our previous relationship with China (antagonistic), Chinese government contracts are off the table.

1) This person is not Yooper, so while the assessment makes sense, it also doesn't have any weight behind it at all
2) Russia was never mentioned until this debate (made wholly out of straw) started.
3) There is nothing preventing us from taking a Chinese contract on the open market, and :smug:ing our way through that entire mission, which I would find particularly hilarious.

Your fears are unfounded, and what you are arguing against is made of straw. :chillpill:

Saying that any nations/factions contracts are permanently off the table for the entirety of this game because of some mission we ran 2 years ago is exactly what I oppose.

Here is the quote that is suggesting that.

gohuskies posted:

I oppose permanently cutting off any factions mission opportunities for the rest of this game. Because that's really limiting and rather dull.

Below is a quote that suggest permantly cutting off taking any missions from the Russia or China faction. This is what I disagree with.

Tevery Best posted:

paragon1 posted:

Given our history, the Chinese should be trying really hard to hire us. They know what we can do, and that's the classic ploy when dealing with mercs.

It would be rather amusing to play Chinese government mission swith a Winnie the Pooh paintjob

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Obviously to take a Chinese govt mission, we need to support one of the warlords vying for control of China, help them win, and boom we can now work for the new Chinese government.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Clearly, we need to take the CIA optional strike hit and then turn around and go to china and say 'look, we're willing to do anything for a quick buck, pay us more!!'

Edit: This is sarcasm, before anyone things i'm serious!

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 30, 2019

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Hey I spent most of the day in meetings what hap- :chloe:

I want to repost this so it didn't get missed in ChinaChat (tm) but also will this version have a single combined DB or will e.g. modern/cold war still be separate? Forgive me if I missed that but I looked around and didn't see anything that seemed to state it definitively.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Pick TWO!

Pick TWO!

In regards to missions, opportunities, planes, botes : We'll do what's fun. I'll just ease us into the storyline after this one. It'll have botes. Planes. Evil cultists. You'll like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Robin Hood and Gunships for Good! It rhymes, you see.