Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
None of them are as good as Kim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

itry posted:

I have an opinion! Do you want to hear it? :v:

This arouses no special feelings in me.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
This game was so loving good. The dialogue interactions and the skill additions have ruined other games for me. I just picked up The Outer Worlds and felt a sinking sadness as I realized my fresh character could just simply pass most skill checks easily and there wasn't much consequence or even acknowledgement of the choices I made.

Oh, you've got a meager amount of persuasion you've passively picked up? Just use it here, it's a bonus free skip in this convo. Don't have it/use it? Have two extra lines of dialogue.

The summation of everything I've seen in TOW doesn't compare to the sheer amount of world building, thought, passion and creativity that went into that one internal conversation where all of your skills argue with each other over Klaasje. It really felt to me like a groundbreaking moment in storytelling.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I really dig the trick of this game. From reports in this thread, each breakup backstory is largely the same emotionally, but the details are picked from your ~opinion~ choices. The framing device alows each player to declare what they are about and then shows ex-wife as not about that. On night one I declared she left me to my own hanging corpse, mostly because that would hurt me most as a depersonalized human SA poster. It's so cool and I can't wait to see how it gut punches me.

*Jamaise Vu BREAKTHROUGH*

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I need to stop reading this thread before I spoil the whole dam game but what else am I supposed to do at work

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I need to stop reading this thread before I spoil the whole dam game but what else am I supposed to do at work

If you have nothing to do and want to play a text-heavy click-y detective game, try Dungeon Detective 2.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I would not play Age of Decadence if you like DE. Vince has terrible politics and it seeps right into AoD in a way that is impossible to avoid. Imagine a game that has zero empathy where every character is viscerally unlikable and not out of some kind of nuance, but just because the writer was a massive misanthrope. It's pretty much the opposite of DE, terrible combat bogging it down, no emotional core whatsoever, completely dry and inhuman in its approach to politics, and utterly lifeless in its writing and prose. It's a miserable game and you can even lock yourself out of the endgame if you don't have the magical foresight to know which builds will utterly screw you over.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

On the other hand it's 75% off right now:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/230070/The_Age_of_Decadence/

Capitalism wins again!

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 30, 2019

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Welp I beat it. The game was pretty short and almost always a boring click to move adventure game. It got exciting for about 10 minutes and then the game ended with what felt like an eternity of exposition. I felt skills were practically pointless and it didn't matter what you placed them into because you could just change your clothes to fix your stats. It's more of a clothing game than anything else really. Stats felt so worthless I just stopped placing the points because I was just annoyed looking at the screen. These are my final stats for the game.

The story was pretty much meh and the twists were stupid and something you would find on CSI. Most of the characters were ok but they didn't really voice all the important lines and when I got bored of a conversation I just started clicking through it faster and faster. They really had to fill this up with a bunch of filler non voiced conversations that just slowed the game way down. Also for some reason the main character talks like Austin Powers when he is voiced and I just didn't get it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Nephthys posted:

On the other hand it's 75% off right now:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/230070/The_Age_of_Decadence/

Capitalism wins again!

I wouldn't even play it for free man

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tenzarin posted:

Welp I beat it. The game was pretty short and almost always a boring click to move adventure game. It got exciting for about 10 minutes and then the game ended with what felt like an eternity of exposition. I felt skills were practically pointless and it didn't matter what you placed them into because you could just change your clothes to fix your stats. It's more of a clothing game than anything else really. Stats felt so worthless I just stopped placing the points because I was just annoyed looking at the screen. These are my final stats for the game.

The story was pretty much meh and the twists were stupid and something you would find on CSI. Most of the characters were ok but they didn't really voice all the important lines and when I got bored of a conversation I just started clicking through it faster and faster. They really had to fill this up with a bunch of filler non voiced conversations that just slowed the game way down. Also for some reason the main character talks like Austin Powers when he is voiced and I just didn't get it.

Beep boop

1 psyche very on theme. I have a hard time believing it’s not on purpose.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You can have negative one empathy?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

As far as it goes, you gave the game away with the low effort shitposts and it diminished the impact of the high effort one. I expect better from an experienced 10+ year forums war veteran like yourself

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
those are pretty legit complaints right up until "the characters were okay but they didn't voice enough" and we just went downhill from there.

the game does lean kind of hard into inventory shuffling and the stat system is a little cumbersome if you're into playing games to win and do well, relaxing and rolling with the punches doesn't come come naturally to everyone.

Fangz posted:

lol i rolled through most of the game with negative authority and while it didn't come up often, when it did seem to matter oh boy was it ever embarassing

Rockstar Massacre fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 30, 2019

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Fangz posted:

Sure you can, the display factors in modifiers from gear and thoughts. I ran with negative one Authority myself, which made that one scene kind of a gut punch.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

rhe worst part of this game is the difference in *emphasis* btw text and voice acting

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Utgardaloki posted:

the game does lean kind of hard into inventory shuffling and the stat system is a little cumbersome if you're into playing games to win and do well, relaxing and rolling with the punches doesn't come come naturally to everyone.

I think they should have forced you to pick your clothing at the start of the day - a getting dressed for work sort of thing - and then not have allowed you to change it after that point until the next morning.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think they were perhaps a bit too in love with the clownsuit possibilities and wanted to show it off. In their defense the clownsuits are pretty amazing

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Detective walks into your office to talk to you. And he starts removing his pants.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I believe you mean Lt. Horseface. :colbert:

Apparently we *were* friends, until I called her that. Oops.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 30, 2019

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

what the gently caress is this

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't think I changed my clothes once except in the off chance I found something that was super cool

I just never felt the desire in this game to be strategic with stats, since reducing one to boost another took stuff off the table as well as added it

*walks off into the sunset, radio on shoulder absolutely blasting Sad.FM*

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Harry's like a Columbo, but instead of ending the conversation and coming immediately back around with "one more thing", Harry instead ends the conversation, changes his clothes, and then come back around with "one more thing"

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

just :laffo: @ your entire existence if your harry didn't look like something between a gigolo and Pennywise 10 minutes into the game

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Still laughing whenever I remember wearing the kimono

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
about dora, she seems like kind of a oval office? i didnt take the thoughts related to her because i got them so late game but maybe dialogue they unlock expands on this. its implied she cheated in the dream, they werent together that long, and the lines about the abortion and harry being too poor are so out of step with the rest of her demeanor it seems like something she really said rather than harry's nostalgia dream version of her.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

Still laughing whenever I remember wearing the kimono

Kim, please, that's DETECTIVE Racist Geisha Princess to you

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

+1 Logic: Super logical for a detective to wear this

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

welp, next time I dive back into the game is going to involve putting on the kimono and hat for the final debriefing after the island just to see what they say

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Relin posted:

about dora, she seems like kind of a oval office? i didnt take the thoughts related to her because i got them so late game but maybe dialogue they unlock expands on this. its implied she cheated in the dream, they werent together that long, and the lines about the abortion and harry being too poor are so out of step with the rest of her demeanor it seems like something she really said rather than harry's nostalgia dream version of her.

I dont think you are actually talking to her in that scene. its a mix of your ex, your idealized version of her, and your own self loathing. thats where all the brutal asides come from. otoh she does sound kinda dickish and people you ask about her do mention your attraction was completely based on her looks. no one brings up her personality

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Wear the intersolary outfit and be as :geno: as humanly possible.

e: And the bowtie.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

babypolis posted:

I dont think you are actually talking to her in that scene. its a mix of your ex, your idealized version of her, and your own self loathing. thats where all the brutal asides come from. otoh she does sound kinda dickish and people you ask about her do mention your attraction was completely based on her looks. no one brings up her personality

i mean it's literally just the one guy (your partner) who actually knows her, isnt it, and he's mad at you + seems like kind of a dick anyway so maybe he isn't the most reliable witness

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

dmboogie posted:

i mean it's literally just the one guy (your partner) who actually knows her, isnt it, and he's mad at you + seems like kind of a dick anyway so maybe he isn't the most reliable witness

I remember someone else bringing it up but I may be wrong

StoneyAssassin
Feb 19, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

welp, next time I dive back into the game is going to involve putting on the kimono and hat for the final debriefing after the island just to see what they say

I had collected all the pieces of the FALN gear and was rocking that look through the whole ending. Jean gave me poo poo for my outfit by name and told me the only reason no-one mentioned my look was because I was a cop. I confirmed with Kim that my prior life explained my obsession with getting all the gear, that part really fit perfectly with Harry's focus on those clothes for seemingly no reason.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Say what you will about jean, but it takes commitment to sit in a hostel cafeteria with a giant fake blonde wig and sunglasses on for 18 hours a day for several days stonily staring at your partner when he comes in and finding different ways to say gently caress you when he tries to ask you anything

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

I really dig the trick of this game. From reports in this thread, each breakup backstory is largely the same emotionally, but the details are picked from your ~opinion~ choices.
I'm getting the feeling that same is true, at least to some extent, when it comes to the murder motives as well, because in my first playthrough the corpse said he was killed by communism, and now he's saying it was love, and I have no idea what could've made that difference considering how early in the game that is. I've also seen people talk about (endgame) cryptid pheromones influencing the killer? Which didn't come up for me at all; I just had ideology and love to suggest as killer's motives in the final encounter, and they seemed to accept them.

KirbyKhan posted:

*Jamaise Vu BREAKTHROUGH*
Speaking of, I played through the entire game without getting that thought, and just got it on my second playthrough. Can't wait to see what hardcore lore it reveals :allears:

Fangz posted:

I finished the game with -2 Authority. It really didn't help me to save Kim, lemme tell ya.

Also, if you have negative Perception, you can't interact with thought bubbles or anything else in the world, 'cause you're just *that* oblivious.

dmboogie posted:

He doesn't even know her, he says you've only been partners for two years and she was way before his time.

Tenzarin posted:

Welp I beat it. The game was pretty short and almost always a boring click to move adventure game.
See, trolling in DE thread doesn't really work because here we all know the game is good and we like it. In OW thread some people get super defensive because in their heart of hearts, they have doubts. :v:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well that and there's 16 people in that thread saying the game is bad, but this one just has the one.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Detective walks into your office to talk to you. And he starts removing his pants.

I really love how if you stay naked in the beginning, after you meet Kim a description basically reads "Look, if Kim didn't mention the fact that you're naked you can safely assume that nobody will. Please put on some goddamn pants."

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I respect the main body of the obsidian defense force showing restraint, and you can't really fault the vanguard for being unable to resist a sortie. That's the kind of discipline I expect from one of the oldest and longest suffering forums tribes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I want to see what your partner says if you are naked at the end