Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol A log pose is a compass that requires staying on an island to reset it's magnetic field. All that is needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cat Machine posted:

I saw it at an anime film festival in Scotland a few weeks ago with a crowd of people who mostly don't watch One Piece. A LOT of people walked out because the film is essentially an unintelligible mess if you aren't a fan (a guy behind me spent like ten minutes trying to explain what a log pose was to his very confused girlfriend). Kind of a bummer considering I'd seen all those fancams from the French premiere where people were going loving nuts and standing on their seats when Zoro cuts the meteor.
Thank you so much!

Who the hell goes to see Tie-in Movie #14 for something they've barely seen before? For that matter, who gets stand-on-seat excited for Tie-in Movie #14 either?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Who the hell goes to see Tie-in Movie #14 for something they've barely seen before? For that matter, who gets stand-on-seat excited for Tie-in Movie #14 either?
To be fair, Stampede is an out-and-out crowd-pleasing celebration of the franchise rather than a generic tie-lin along the lines of the earlier pre-Oda films. In particular it REALLY plays into the kind of stuff that One Piece fans who love talking about haki power levels and bounties and "could X beat Y" like. I consider myself above a lot of that stuff but even I was getting hype over certain interactions and soundtrack choices...

Jose posted:

Lol A log pose is a compass that requires staying on an island to reset it's magnetic field. All that is needed
Yeah but then you have to start getting into stuff like how the Grand Line works and what the difference is between an Eternal Pose and a Log Pose, etc. etc. That's how their discussion went, anyway.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So I don't know if I'm the first one to point this out or whatever, but did anyone else notice how similar Oden's eyebrows are to Zoro's? Thicker sure, but definitely the same shape.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
so it turns out the monster trio all had monster dads. I guess we've learned the true spirit of One Piece, biological determinism.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
That's just the old big 3 manga stand by. All you need to be strong is hard work

and genes. Mostly genes.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yes if there's one thing to take away from sanji's backstory it's that it's his genetics that make him strong

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah Sanji's dad is kind of a wimp relatively, and the genetic modifying that was done on him failed, he only got strong when he had something to fight for

(I also hope none of these people are Zoro's dad, that would be dumb, I'd be fine with his teacher being Denjiro tho)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the only way oden will be zoro's dad is being his father-in-law after he marries hiyori

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Crusader Piece II

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Genes, genes, and nanomachines

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jose posted:

Lol A log pose is a mystery compass that requires staying on an island to reset it's magnetic field. All that is needed

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah Sanji's dad is kind of a wimp relatively, and the genetic modifying that was done on him failed, he only got strong when he had something to fight for

(I also hope none of these people are Zoro's dad, that would be dumb, I'd be fine with his teacher being Denjiro tho)

Au contraire, Sanji's genetic modifications are what allows him to harness the power of his heart in order to catch on fire.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Guys we got it all wrong.

Look at the hair, the legs, the no pants, the hobby of building ships.

The timeline checks out too.

Oden is Franky's dad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Cat Machine posted:

Yeah but then you have to start getting into stuff like how the Grand Line works and what the difference is between an Eternal Pose and a Log Pose, etc. etc. That's how their discussion went, anyway.

none of that is needed especially because

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I still need to catch up, but I saw Stampede tonight and since when was Raftel actually Laugh Tale?

E: Looking into it, it seems like this was introduced in this movie. Weird.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i will never say laugh tale

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

When you think about it, with all the odd chuckles and chortles these characters do, One Piece is the true Laugh Tale.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

shiliew
levely
laugh tale

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

aahhh!!ddium posted:

shiliew
levely
laugh tale

Levely and Mary Geoise being dropped back to back was pretty big

e: not hunter x hunter big, granted but

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

What is using Levely? The official viz scans still use Reverie

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mister Olympus posted:

Levely and Mary Geoise being dropped back to back was pretty big

e: not hunter x hunter big, granted but

More like Hunter x Hunter Byxxlyssch.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

rannum posted:

What is using Levely? The official viz scans still use Reverie
Much like Shiliew, this is an instance of the official release seeing Oda's romanization and deciding, correctly, to ignore it and continue using their version.

I don't mind Laugh Tale but the way Raftel has been written in Japanese up until now does not jive with that pronunciation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The dub was sticking to Laugh Tale, so I'm assuming Funi will just go with that when they resume the series.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
And here's the chapter https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/one-piece-2/en/0/961/page/1

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
It’s out on Friday with the official scans, this is the perfect chance to get on officials 😉

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Miraculously, there were no human fatalities.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Break week... :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah, Zoro is definitely related to Oden. If Denjiro really is Zoro's teacher maybe he was given Zoro to escape with when Kaido attacked. I don't see how the rest of the scabbards wouldn't know about that though.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

hey remember when Usopp was the only crewmember who had an infamous badass dad

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

HerraS posted:

hey remember when Usopp was the only crewmember who had an infamous badass dad

No cus we learn about dragon the same time we learn that Shanks is a Yonkou and not just a random pirate.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zeff was infamous and badass and Sanji's dad.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Kild posted:

No cus we learn about dragon the same time we learn that Shanks is a Yonkou and not just a random pirate.

ok so any random pirate can make a sea king poo poo its pants gotcha chief

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

HerraS posted:

ok so any random pirate can make a sea king poo poo its pants gotcha chief

Dude lost an arm to a thing Luffy beat up in one punch like next chapter? And its not Shanks its an underling of Shanks, not even the first mate.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

It could always be inferred that Shanks and by extension his crew were going to be a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but at the time of learning who Yassop was, the audience perspective of the Red Hair pirates were that they were pirates of some repute, We wouldn't go on to learn that Shanks was one of the strongest and most influential people on the planet until later on in the story.

On a related note, Robin and Nami had badass moms. Well, Olvia was debatable since she essentially abandoned Robin to go study, but that was just her providing some much needed gender equality in the proud anime tradition of absentee fathers.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

RatHat posted:

Yeah, Zoro is definitely related to Oden. If Denjiro really is Zoro's teacher maybe he was given Zoro to escape with when Kaido attacked. I don't see how the rest of the scabbards wouldn't know about that though.

I didn't notice myself until my second read-through that Oden just used a food-pun based sword move. That's the biggest reveal in the whole chapter.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Looking at Yasuie and Orochi side by side, it’s remarkable how similar their hair, noses, and lips are. Could Orochi be Yasuie’s bastard son?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can't wait until the end of the flashback when they all resolve to avenge Oden and it cuts back to the present where the scabbards have all been annihilated and had their dream crushed.

Then part four starts and I begin existing in a permanent state of :suspense:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
oden is flames

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Tolth posted:

Miraculously, there were no human fatalities.

the oda levels are off the charts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RatHat posted:

Zoro met his teacherwhen he tried to waltz in and try and crush the dojo. Kuina beat him and he stayed to try and beat her.