Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jabor posted:

Commander is garbage for people who have not yet realised that a wide world of games exists that aren't Magic: the Gathering, and those other games are better at providing a fun multiplayer experience with friends than you can get by trying to coerce mtg to handle multiple players.
:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Counterpoint: EDH will be played in the wasteland because it requires only 1 copy of each card.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Rumor is that a Walgreens in North Carolina mistakenly received and then put out for purchase a bunch of Theros packs. If true, I would love to hear the story of how they got there.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

LifeLynx posted:

Rumor is that a Walgreens in North Carolina mistakenly received and then put out for purchase a bunch of Theros packs. If true, I would love to hear the story of how they got there.
I hope they're riddled with valuable misprints, ala Edgar/Summer Magic!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

LifeLynx posted:

If you had a box of Theros right now, how would you turn it into the most money

EBay? Sell it back to wizards?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

He's also an obvious fart huffing grog with nothing to say about anything that isn't his conception of edh.

I think you just described the vast number of posters in this thread if you replace edh with any other format of choice

Meanwhile Toshimo's general input in the edh thread is "even if you're on a budget or playing casually you can still make good decks by choosing cards that actually do things"

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

If you had a box of Theros right now, how would you turn it into the most money

EBay? Sell it back to wizards?

If you find yourself in that situation, there's no scenario where selling it wouldn't get you suspended from Magic for a few months. The best options are:

- Open it and use the information you find to buy low priced cards you think could go up, or dump cards being reprinted. Imagine if you were the first one outside of Wizards to see Hogaak and realized you needed to invest in Bridge from Belows ASAP, for example.

- Contact Wizards and hope they give you some nice incentives for being honest and returning it to them.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

LifeLynx posted:

If you find yourself in that situation, there's no scenario where selling it wouldn't get you suspended from Magic for a few months. The only option is:

- Open it and use the information you find to buy low priced cards you think could go up, or dump cards being reprinted.

v v v Also do this.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 31, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LifeLynx posted:

If you find yourself in that situation, there's no scenario where selling it wouldn't get you suspended from Magic for a few months. The best options are:

- Open it and use the information you find to buy low priced cards you think could go up, or dump cards being reprinted. Imagine if you were the first one outside of Wizards to see Hogaak and realized you needed to invest in Bridge from Belows ASAP, for example.

- Contact Wizards and hope they give you some nice incentives for being honest and returning it to them.

Post pics of yourself eating what is clearly the chase mythic

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Tubgoat posted:

v v v Also do this.

I feel like I tricked you into admitting that being an #mtgfinance-r is better than helping a corporation retrieve lost/stolen property and I don't know if I need to apologize.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

LifeLynx posted:

I feel like I tricked you into admitting that being an #mtgfinance-r is better than helping a corporation retrieve lost/stolen property and I don't know if I need to apologize.
You feel incorrectly and need only apologise for assuming that you and not Capital are responsibile for my hatred of Capital and its acolytes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Anyone who doesn’t like Commander sucks at friendship

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bust Rodd posted:

And as we know

Friendship is Magic

The Gathering

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Bust Rodd posted:

I tried to like it, but going to a shop is terrible because some people run $3k decks that ruin the pod. Likewise, playing with friends it's hard to convince someone to spend $100 on a deck when we could just buy 2 boardgames that offer a more balanced game.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

moush posted:

I tried to like it, but going to a shop is terrible because some people run $3k decks that ruin the pod. Likewise, playing with friends it's hard to convince someone to spend $100 on a deck when we could just buy 2 boardgames that offer a more balanced game.
Build more decks to loan to friends. :shrug: And anyway, I don't really fret about Revised duals in EDH nowadays. For 2-3 color decks, the stuff in circulation is just fine. If you wanna build Sliver Queen or something, just use proxies.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

moush posted:

Nobody's going to bat an eye if you proxy cards for commander. I have like 3 or 4 fully proxied decks for commander because gently caress spending hundreds or thousands of dollars so you can play a couple different decks.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

berenzen posted:

Nobody's going to bat an eye if you proxy cards for commander.
Sole caveat: if you proxy up a hypercompetitive deck designed to take infinite turns or otherwise prevent all other players from doing anything, for the entire game, no one will play with you (and rightly so).

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

berenzen posted:

Nobody's going to bat an eye if you proxy cards for commander. I have like 3 or 4 fully proxied decks for commander because gently caress spending hundreds or thousands of dollars so you can play a couple different decks.

For real. I may have 3 or 4 cEDH decks but only one of them is 100% real cards. The rest have the expensive cards filled in with proxies.

Tubgoat posted:

Sole caveat: if you proxy up a hypercompetitive deck designed to take infinite turns or otherwise prevent all other players from doing anything, for the entire game, no one will play with you (and rightly so).

Even in hypercompetitive pods, turns decks are boring as hell. But a legitimate strategy, so I can't hate too much-- but I will still judge you for making the game take forever. Make your wins deterministic! :colbert:

The key is just "don't pubstomp". If you're playing a super competitive deck, play only with people who want to play on that level. I keep a few lower-power-level decks handy to play in lower power pods for that reason. It's not too hard to throw an inexpensive casual deck together that is still fun to play and can actually do stuff.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Hyper efficient multiplayer Legacy Highlander is super fun when everyone is on board. It's also nice in that there's no worrying about the power level of your deck or trying to match a playgroup if everyone agrees to go all out for cEDH. You just go as hard as possible with the most degenerate poo poo you can and it's a blast.

I also find myself rather enjoying casual games lately, usually with the same group if people that I jam cEDH with.

The key, like any game or social interaction, is to make sure everyone is on the same page. Thanksgiving flag football with the extended family can be ruined by a drunk uncle spear tackling kids. It's the same in Magic.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the reason sol ring will never be banned is it’s the most powerful card that lots of people own and edh is the only format where you can play it without shelling out tons of money. vintage players don’t care because they can play moxen and stuff. but for most people sol ring is the most powerful magic card they will ever cast. It’s a dumb reason but there you go. The next most powerful card above sol ring is what, like time walk or a mox? ain’t nobody own that, but everyone’s got a sol ring or 5.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aranan posted:

Hyper efficient multiplayer Legacy Highlander is super fun when everyone is on board. It's also nice in that there's no worrying about the power level of your deck or trying to match a playgroup if everyone agrees to go all out for cEDH. You just go as hard as possible with the most degenerate poo poo you can and it's a blast.

I also find myself rather enjoying casual games lately, usually with the same group if people that I jam cEDH with.

The key, like any game or social interaction, is to make sure everyone is on the same page. Thanksgiving flag football with the extended family can be ruined by a drunk uncle spear tackling kids. It's the same in Magic.

Ok, bear with me here:
  • Kitchen table folks don't give much of a poo poo about the rules and will largely do their own thing anyway. If you show up with a busted deck and run over that crowd, nobody has any fun and you don't get invited back.
  • People who want a competitive game, at any level, from game shop to cEDH shark, doesn't want to have a bunch of crazy bullshit enabled, because then you get swingy, unfun games.

Where Sheldon, in his self-proclaimed wisdom falls down, is that he warps the rules on whatever gave him the feelbads at his shop, so he doesn't really do anything for the kitchen table crowd, and he doesn't really do anything for the competitive crowd either.

Let's take the simplest example that basically overwhelmingly is supported by players of all types: Flash Hulk is busted as gently caress and should have never been unbanned.

I haven't seen anyone even really take a stand against that, because it's absurd on the face of it. Who is it helping? If you drop Flash Hulk at a casual table, nobody is interested in that. Only the most competitive tables tolerate it and the cEDH community has railed against the unbanning since it happened.

But, Sheldon has "ideas" about how the format should be played, and everyone suffers for it.

Another, less talked about cEDH request is lowering the life total to 30. This opens up so many more possibilities for deckbuilding and play, but it's not "The Sheldon Way", so it doesn't even come under consideration. It think you'd find that casual players wouldn't really mind it at all. It's still a bigger buffer than usual, but they'd also get all the benefits of new, more aggressive strategies, and not having people randomly show up to sit behind a Necropotence or Ad Nauseum and blow them out.

It's all pretty simple stuff, that if WotC was handling it themselves, would have probably already been sorted.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Fragmenting the cEDH format by separating the rules and banlist is the absolute fastest way to destroy a format actually, as has been demonstrated about 5 times in the last 8 years.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bust Rodd posted:

Fragmenting the cEDH format by separating the rules and banlist is the absolute fastest way to destroy a format actually, as has been demonstrated about 5 times in the last 8 years.

nah printing oko did it way faster

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Indeed, they should just make the regular edh banlist such that it's also suitable for competitive play.

Kitchen table players can continue to house-rule things as they always have.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"The power of the Sol Ring" is legit. I remember playing the Commander precons out of the box with my daughter the last time commander precons were good. She was used to the power of circia Ixilan FNM standard, and she drew a Ring in her opening grip and was just awestruck at 2 mana, for 1 mana, no downside or drawback.

I'm not even sure she believed me when I spoke to her of the 90's and getting one mana for zeo mana until I showed her the cards online.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Jabor posted:

Indeed, they should just make the regular edh banlist such that it's also suitable for competitive play.

Kitchen table players can continue to house-rule things as they always have.

Alright, come up with a banlist that makes edh a viable competitive format and we'll see how long it takes the thread to object.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Ban Flash, Lab Man, and WAR Jace. Probably Thrasios while you're at it.

Unban like half the current banlist.

cEDH is already a pretty fun format in general and has semi-regular online tournaments, except that everything's getting edged out by Thrasios/Tymna decks with either consultation + lab man/Jace and/or flash hulk.

Protean hulk becomes a hell of a lot harder to break without flash. With Lab Man and Jace gone it removes the win conditions that every UBx deck has defaulted to and provide a not insubstantial risk to decks that still want to run the instant speed tutors, and with Thrasios gone, WUBG decks suddenly don't have a 2 mana win condition sitting in their command zone.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 31, 2019

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Say what you will about Sheldon Menery's actual opinions on what is fun and not fun, at least he holds "fun" as an ideal and is willing to aggressively curate things in search of that ideal, as opposed to whatever the gently caress the Standard ban committee is up to. :v:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I think Tynma is the worse one, but deffo nail Flash. No one does anything fun with it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

JerryLee posted:

Say what you will about Sheldon Menery's actual opinions on what is fun and not fun, at least he holds "fun" as an ideal and is willing to aggressively curate things in search of that ideal, as opposed to whatever the gently caress the Standard ban committee is up to. :v:

Selling packs.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

berenzen posted:

Ban Flash, Lab Man, and WAR Jace. Probably Thrasios while you're at it.

Unban like half the current banlist.

cEDH is already a pretty fun format in general and has semi-regular online tournaments, except that everything's getting edged out by Thrasios/Tymna decks with either consultation + lab man/Jace and/or flash hulk.

Protean hulk becomes a hell of a lot harder to break without flash. With Lab Man and Jace gone it removes the win conditions that every UBx deck has defaulted to and provide a not insubstantial risk to decks that still want to run the instant speed tutors, and with Thrasios gone, WUBG decks suddenly don't have a 2 mana win condition sitting in their command zone.

I mean if you ban Thrasios all you’re doing is pushing those players to simply play Kenrith instead, and banning Flash or Lab Man just means that the entire format is now about Food Chain. The cards you proposed to ban deal with a small chunk of the format, that wouldn’t balance anything.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
EDH should have a points list a la CanLander. However, I would want to extend it to include commanders as well.

E: VVV They manage just fine up north :shrug:

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 31, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Trying to balance a format with 30,000 pieces is impossibly stupid.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bust Rodd posted:

Trying to balance a format with 30,000 pieces is impossibly stupid.

They should reduce it to a couple of thousand pieces, say the last couple years' worth of cards or so. Also the deck size can be smaller since there's fewer cards.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think Tynma is the worse one, but deffo nail Flash. No one does anything fun with it.

I don't think Tymna is too bad on her own-- she just naturally takes advantage of a subformat that uses fewer creatures. She's pretty much thwarted by any 3/2 or 2/3. Or just a chump block. Granted she can be more abused by someone who uses more creatures to hit more people at once per turn, but that does not seem super common outside of Tymna/Thrasios, which will often have some mana dorks that someone can occasionally swing in with. In my experience at least, it's usually just Tymna herself swinging in for little bits of card draw, but that's just what I see in my meta.

(My main deck is Tymna/Kraum, and the only other creatures I really use for swinging in are Kraum and Serra Ascendant. And if you're letting me resolve/keep Tymna and Kraum you've got bigger problems than me getting an extra card every combat phase.)

Meanwhile Thrasios is a 2-drop infinite mana sink that can help with card advantage in the early game. Having that in the command zone is what makes him more busted in my opinion.

Flash can go though. And while I personally don't want labman or WAR Jace to go since my main deck uses them as the core wincons, I feel like the more damning culprits are Demonic Consultation and Tainted Pact and Doomsday for the quick and dirty self-mill. If you can those you can still keep labman/jaceman around as legit, but slower, alternate wincons.

I don't think banning specific wincons is ultimately the answer because I think it will throw balance off even more and reduce diversity in the meta. But if you eliminate cards that expedite them, I feel like they can still be viable without being too broken. Hulk would still be viable without Flash, it just wouldn't be a consistent turn 1-3 win since you'd need to reanimate/kill it instead, pushing it more toward a mid/late game wincon.

Lone Goat posted:

They should reduce it to a couple of thousand pieces, say the last couple years' worth of cards or so. Also the deck size can be smaller since there's fewer cards.

I think Brawl could piggyback off Pioneer's popularity surge and be way better for it. A bigger card pool that doesn't rotate could make for a more diverse selection of commanders with less of the busted stuff that drives people away from commander.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 31, 2019

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Just want to chime in and say that multiplayer free for all magic is the devil and should be avoided at all costs

Well ok thanks for listening to my TED talk

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

MikeCrotch posted:

Just want to chime in and say that multiplayer free for all magic is the devil and should be avoided at all costs

Well ok thanks for listening to my TED talk

A TED talk from a Magic player you say?

https://youtu.be/KvkxLsQ7sxM

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Be the magic guy in your group and just buy and tune the decks to cater to everyone's fun while also the fun of the table as a whole.

You know, like a dungeon master.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Counterpoint - playing Commander with newbs who just like loving around with their decks instead of being irritating tryhards can be quite relaxing and cathartic. (especially if bourbon is involved, which it usually is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Framboise posted:

I think Brawl could piggyback off Pioneer's popularity surge and be way better for it. A bigger card pool that doesn't rotate could make for a more diverse selection of commanders with less of the busted stuff that drives people away from commander.

it looks like it could be diverse but then you realize that it's got busted poo poo like oko, poor mana fixing for two color decks, and most of the cool build-arounds have maybe two payoffs that aren't overcosted draft chaff

brawl is in an awful place where it's got all the downsides of commander and also all the downsides of standard.