Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fangz posted:

I want to see what your partner sees if you are naked at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XpqC1PtuF0&t=60s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Welp I beat it. The game was pretty short and almost always a boring click to move adventure game. It got exciting for about 10 minutes and then the game ended with what felt like an eternity of exposition. I felt skills were practically pointless and it didn't matter what you placed them into because you could just change your clothes to fix your stats. It's more of a clothing game than anything else really. Stats felt so worthless I just stopped placing the points because I was just annoyed looking at the screen. These are my final stats for the game.

The story was pretty much meh and the twists were stupid and something you would find on CSI. Most of the characters were ok but they didn't really voice all the important lines and when I got bored of a conversation I just started clicking through it faster and faster. They really had to fill this up with a bunch of filler non voiced conversations that just slowed the game way down. Also for some reason the main character talks like Austin Powers when he is voiced and I just didn't get it.

show me your thought cabinet you coward!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Fangz posted:

Unrelatedly, what I always thought was bad about Planescape basically came down to its core conceit.

So... Yeah, Disco Elysium has the complete opposite mentality.
Planescape doesn't really end up being that much at all though. Like sure TNO can end up being a living god, but he still can't escape the consequences of what he did, that ain't much of a power fantasy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Sure but that's like the last five minutes

For most of the game you are the most important person in the most important city in the multiverse

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 31, 2019

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Hi I loved Planescape Torment until I ended up in the weird cube-person dungeon and I just couldn't stand trying to fight my way through it. Is this my new favorite game?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well there are no cube person dungeons in this one

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Sold!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Hi I loved Planescape Torment until I ended up in the weird cube-person dungeon and I just couldn't stand trying to fight my way through it. Is this my new favorite game?

Yes, every stat is Wis. Hope that helps.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Yes, every stat is Wis. Hope that helps.

Holy poo poo you could not have said it better.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Fangz posted:

Sure but that's like the last five minutes
Yeah, but the rest of the game is similar in that your not some big rear end hero busting into the room and saving the day and have everyone swoon at you like Bioware had a problem with. TNO is even more of a massive fuckup than Harry because he had multiple life times to dig himself even deeper in the massive abyss he placed himself from the start. Hell, TNO's last incarnation was a cruel sociopath and the game really makes you feel the effects of his actions. All your party members are broken people and TNO is the responsible for a decent amount of them, they're not there to make you feel like the unstoppable hero. The whole game is how TNO's actions have negatively affected people's lives for a long rear end time.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 31, 2019

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Xarbala posted:

show me your thought cabinet you coward!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, but the rest of the game is similar in that your not some big rear end hero busting into the room and saving the day and have everyone swoon at you like Bioware had a problem with. TNO is even more of a massive fuckup than Harry because he had multiple life times to dig himself even deeper in the massive abyss he placed himself from the start. Hell, TNO's last incarnation was a cruel sociopath and the game really makes you feel the effects of his actions. All your party members are broken people and TNO is the responsible for a decent amount of them. The whole game is how TNO's actions have negatively affected people's lives for a long rear end time.

My point isn't that TNO is Good, my point is that he's ridiculously Effectual. Vs Disco Elysium where it's a struggle to get your shoes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Fangz posted:

My point isn't that TNO is Good, my point is that he's ridiculously Effectual. Vs Disco Elysium where it's a struggle to get your shoes.
I was more saying that Planescape isn't really much of a major power fantasy like that really early design document talked about.

Though yeah, TNO can definitely shape things more and had a history with a lot more people and places because he's definitely more than a washed up middle aged detective with a substance abuse problem.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Yeah TNO is still a God amongst men and manages to defeat a loving Deva of all things and one of the most powerful Night Hags in existence, then manages to defeat an entity strong enough to exist in the Negative Material Plane and thrive there. From D&D lore respects he's doing some absolutely insane poo poo that super high level parties would struggle with.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

whoa

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I forgot but isn't the way to exit that dungeon to get your companions to kill you and you all wake up in a much easier to complete area

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I forgot but isn't the way to exit that dungeon to get your companions to kill you and you all wake up in a much easier to complete area

If you want to meet the main construct running poo poo in order to get the best upgrades for Nordom you have to tediously run through it on hard difficulty. You can use the good old "Combat sucks poo poo run past everything" PS:T trick but will inevitably get winged by the stronger constructs while you run back and forth in a featureless maze.

But yes killing yourself boots you back to the start where you can leave.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, I was trying to piece out why DE works so well compared to...well, most CRPGs, really, and the conclusion I came to was that in this game, you're not changing the world as much as you're changing yourself (and through that, being able to influence some turns of events), which is also true of TNO in Planescape. People are comparing this to Outer Worlds so much because the latter is a perfect example of an RPG where you "change the world". Pass a Persuade check and no matter who you're dealing with or your prior decisions, you're skipping a fight or convincing someone to do something. It feels undeserved, gamey, and because it feels gamey it means you don't really engage with the characters, they're two-dimensional since the only important piece of the puzzle there is you and your labia or intimidation (or hacking skills).

I kinda love the idea of making checks (mostly) retakeable dice rolls with modifiers too. It means that you always have a shot of not getting what you want, and if it doesn't work out, you are forced to take another road or go learn something new about the world. You can also succeed on a 3% roll that you decided to take because gently caress it, and that's always amazing.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I loved everything about this game, so bittersweet in the end, and the game even throws a huge consolation prize at you if you completely gently caress up like did Cuno being your partner as you head to the island if Kim goes to the hospital

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Funny enough I started playing Torment this week. I dig it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Holy poo poo you could not have said it better.

Except Half-Light, it kind of sucks.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

You really just beelined for the ending huh?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, but the rest of the game is similar in that your not some big rear end hero busting into the room and saving the day and have everyone swoon at you like Bioware had a problem with. TNO is even more of a massive fuckup than Harry because he had multiple life times to dig himself even deeper in the massive abyss he placed himself from the start. Hell, TNO's last incarnation was a cruel sociopath and the game really makes you feel the effects of his actions. All your party members are broken people and TNO is the responsible for a decent amount of them, they're not to make feel like the unstoppable hero. The whole game is how TNO's actions have negatively affected people's lives for a long rear end time.

I love that the horrible sociopath is remembered as the “pragmatic” incarnation of TNO.

Dios Mio, a liberal!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I love that the horrible sociopath is remembered as the “pragmatic” incarnation of TNO.

Dios Mio, a liberal!

The most satisfying part of that entire game is going through all his bullshit line by line and pointing out none of it accomplished anything.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Dias posted:

they're two-dimensional since the only important piece of the puzzle there is you and your labia or intimidation (or hacking skills).
Can't decide if Freudian slip or a hell of an autocorrect.

Dreylad posted:

I loved everything about this game, so bittersweet in the end, and the game even throws a huge consolation prize at you if you completely gently caress up like did Cuno being your partner as you head to the island if Kim goes to the hospital
Yeah, was gonna reload when that happened in my first playthrough, but then stuck with it and now in my mind it is canon. The tribunal ended with nearly everyone killed which suddenly raised the stakes and left Cuno as the only chance for Harry to affect at least *some* positive change in Martinaise. Then getting Cuno enrolled in junior officers program and being told that his defense was the only reason for Harry being taken back into precinct 41 felt a perfect denouement.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Can't decide if Freudian slip or a hell of an autocorrect.

That's my brain deciding to use Portuguese instead of English for a word and SALR eating the accent mark. Persuasion is what I was aiming for.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I was also very confused for a second

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Broken Cog posted:

Would 2/6/2/2 be the best for Apocalypse Cop? What is the Apocalypse skill anyway? Inland Empire?

Late on this, but mechanically speaking I think internalizing the apocalypse cop thought works best on a low psyche and physique build. I’m going for 4/1/2/5 and am planning to be an art critic cop of the apocalypse. Very light spoiler about what the thought does: That’s because it raises the learning caps for inland empire and shivers to 6, which isn’t helpful if you already have very high psyche. Per the dev post on drugs, it also is supposed to double the effects of pyrholidon, which further makes up for low psyche.

That said, you shouldn’t stress out about your skill picks at all, unless you’ve already finished the game. Just pick what looks cool and enjoy the ride. All of the skills seem to give really interesting dialogue and content. I always plan out builds, thoroughly read about mechanics before playing and try to min-max my characters, but I didn’t feel compelled to do that with this game and I enjoyed the experience more for it.

My own mechanics questions, spoilered in case people don’t want to know what thoughts do: The Lonesome Long Way Home is supposed to give a bonus to psyche when using speed: how does that work with the morale damage it deals? Does the bonus psyche heal the morale damage?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Heithinn Grasida posted:

My own mechanics questions, spoilered in case people don’t want to know what thoughts do: The Lonesome Long Way Home is supposed to give a bonus to psyche when using speed: how does that work with the morale damage it deals? Does the bonus psyche heal the morale damage?

Simple: it doesnt work

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

chaosapiant posted:

You really just beelined for the ending huh?

he doesnt have caustic or white mourning so he didnt even find the ledger which means he didnt click on the interactable directly beside the dead body

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Verviticus posted:

he doesnt have caustic or white mourning so he didnt even find the ledger which means he didnt click on the interactable directly beside the dead body

I did, when I opened the compartment I died.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Verviticus posted:

A ton of people play the game without pressing Tab to read orbs in the environment or, even more importantly, the thought orbs that pop up above your head. Sometimes these open up trees for interaction.

My first playthrough took around 35 hours while being extremely thorough and I accomplished pretty much every task and would double back often to see if new dialogue options unlocked when I would uncover information it seemed an NPC would have a reaction to (which was more often than not the case because this game accounts for far more than people think it does), I checked every orb I could find and read every book. I had a ton of extra thoughts I didn't have the room to internalize.

I'm pretty sure the super short playthroughs are rushing a decent bit, reading speed would only cut down so much.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah it's a really really dense game. I feel like I put easily 25-30ish hours in and I know I barely touched the books, the past cases, etc. People in this thread are posting thoughts and NPCs I never even met

BoBtheImpaler
Oct 11, 2002
Dinosaur Gum
Sorrycop if it's been asked before but is there a way to buy stuff back from the pawn shop?

I sold them the sad song tape to pay for my hotel room.

It was the same day Kim took the body away, and I couldn't bear to explain to him why I homeless when he got back.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I was pretty thorough and aside from having white mourning (but never finishing it) my thought list is about that sparse.

I played *really* straight though, I got called out as a boring cop almost immediately. Superstar soon after, though.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Art cop was so great, absolutely no one wanted to hear from or deal with art cop in the least bit

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Is there any benefit to winning the suggestion check with Klaasje right at the start of the game? She seems to like you when you fail it.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Verviticus posted:

All of these thoughts are obtainable day 1, soooo yeah I'm guessing gave a minor effort in the beginning and then just mashed spacebar and 1 until game ended abruptly.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

BoBtheImpaler posted:

Sorrycop if it's been asked before but is there a way to buy stuff back from the pawn shop?

I sold them the sad song tape to pay for my hotel room.

It was the same day Kim took the body away, and I couldn't bear to explain to him why I homeless when he got back.

Re: pawn shop The busted tape is useless, you find a working copy of the song on the other side of the water lock on Day 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Beefeater1980 posted:

Is there any benefit to winning the suggestion check with Klaasje right at the start of the game? She seems to like you when you fail it.

This is actually (to me) a good selling point of the game. The skill checks are only successes or failures from the context of you making an effort to do something. Going up to Klaasje and asking to bone shouldn't end with you two in a hotel room, like it would in say.... a bethesda game. This particular skill check might be a bad example though because 'success' ends up being you being filled with despair about your pointless need to bone random strangers, instead of saying something suave.

Either way, win-win. But yeah, for this one I feel like failing the check is actually the best outcome.