Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I've always liked it, but it's probably still a resource hog.

There's also minecolonies if you want to be more direct in placing and managing the village, and ... there's one harvest moon style one that I forget the name of, but it was also pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Minecraft Comes Alive is another option. Its sort of like Harvest Moon in Minecraft. The villagers have new models and textures, new jobs, personalities, and can like or dislike you depending on how you treat them. You can even get married and have kids.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

TekTopia is a cool village mod that feels like what Vanilla should be; it's not excessive or over the top, but it turns the game into a low key city building management game.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/tektopia

It doesn't play great for like, real involved modpacks, so if you're looking to play mostly vanilla it rules but if you want to have a bunch of other poo poo going on it might be frustrating.

e: With regards to EMC Chat from earlier, there's a new skyblock modpack called Chemical Exchange that relies on building things based out of base elements, and only base elements from the Alchemistry mod can be put in and out. If I get tired of Mystical Skies, I might give it a whirl - I like that, conceptually, as a way of using an EMC table without it breaking the whole game.

Wungus fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 31, 2019

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Man I made it to oil in Rustic Waters. Goddamn is this quest stupid. You dig around the bedrock to take core samples to find a chunk that has oil. You build a pumpjack capsule and take it down to the place you marked with the oil, you throw it down on the ground and "The pressure is too high down here to deploy this capsule."

Then where the gently caress exactly am I supposed to put it?

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
My friend was the one that did the quest for us but ours wasn't on bedrock it was on the sea floor if that makes any difference.
We didn't really use the oil for anything either, we went from a bank of thermos to biodiesel

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Depends posted:

My friend was the one that did the quest for us but ours wasn't on bedrock it was on the sea floor if that makes any difference.
We didn't really use the oil for anything either, we went from a bank of thermos to biodiesel

I managed to stick it on the seafloor once just to see if it could actually be placed at all, but I didn't like it just sitting in a coral reef like that so I built a box for it to be in. I tried to redeploy it and got the same message.

There's a lot of dumb poo poo in Rustic Waters tbh. It's a very cool idea for a modpack, but the things like this are just bad.

Like I get that he doesn't want you to "build bases at bedrock level", but once you've got an ember bore down there it seems real loving arbitrary that you just can't place certain blocks down there. Especially the pumpjack though.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Spanish Matlock posted:

Like I get that he doesn't want you to "build bases at bedrock level",

Why the gently caress not? Undersea bases are the coolest things. I was expecting that floating thing to be down on the seafloor, really. I haven't played the pack since the first day it was released and judging from people's experiences, I think it was a good decision.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I think the reasoning is that it's too easy to expand your base if you just build down at bedrock, since you can dig out space without needing to worry about water or walls. The pumpjack being restricted is just stupid though.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Whalley posted:

TekTopia is a cool village mod that feels like what Vanilla should be; it's not excessive or over the top, but it turns the game into a low key city building management game.

It doesn't play great for like, real involved modpacks, so if you're looking to play mostly vanilla it rules but if you want to have a bunch of other poo poo going on it might be frustrating.

what kinds of problems come up because this mod looks cool as poo poo

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

tektopia sounds like Dragon Quest Builders 2 but Minecraft so that’s rad as hell

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Whalley posted:

This would actually be perfect for the big dumb modpack idea I had. The idea is that you're a remnant civilization left behind after ~mysterious cataclysmic circumstances~ and you are the Benevolent Dictator For Life of your little village inside a valley or whatever, and you have to work to raise your people up from nothing by searching for artifacts of the precursor civilization (which unlock game stages and thus other mods) and climb up a tech tree until you have enough $WHATEVER to do $THING.

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

This would actually be perfect for the big dumb modpack idea I had. The idea is that you're a remnant civilization left behind after ~mysterious cataclysmic circumstances~ and you are the Benevolent Dictator For Life of your little village inside a valley or whatever, and you have to work to raise your people up from nothing by searching for artifacts of the precursor civilization (which unlock game stages and thus other mods) and climb up a tech tree until you have enough $WHATEVER to do $THING.

this sounds like Dragon Quest Builders but Minecraft so that’s rad as hell

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hey everybody. I decided to dip my toes into modpack making again, and I have found there are a lot of really cool options in 1.12! So I decided to make a small challenge pack, sort of like the skyblock packs but a bit different. This one is more about exploration, I started out trying to make something like a procedurally generated Fallout game. Its pretty much finished, though I think I will be making some tweaks here and there as I play test it. I might put it up on one of those launchers once I am finished tweaking it, but for now it is simply a .zip that you can import directly into MultiMC.

Escape From Trantor

quote:

It is the year 12,378GE and the Galactic Empire has been in ruins for over 3 centuries. But you are not a citizen of the Galactic Empire, you hail from the periphery of the galaxy. A world called Terminus is your home, the center of the Foundation and the nucleus of the second Galactic Empire.

You are a space explorer and you have been tasked by the Mayor of Terminus to collect ancient scientific data from the ruins of Trantor. This city planet (located in the center of the galaxy) was once the capital of the mighty first Galactic Empire, but after centuries of war it is nothing but a smoldering ruin. Bandits and mutants roam the surface, looking for human flesh to consume.

Upon arriving in the system and making orbit around Trantor a mysterious energy beam hits your ship from the planet! You have crashed on the surface of this dead world, and must find the components you need to rebuild your spaceship. However the Mayor is still counting on you to collect that ancient data. For the glory of the Foundation you vow not to leave the planet until you have found it!

Download
https://www.mediafire.com/file/zl1vdpg1qi8tejr/Escape_From_Trantor_v0.06.zip/file

Mod List

quote:

Alchemestry
Avarita
Backpacks
Backstab
Baubles
Better Builders Wands
Better Combat
Better Diving
Biomes o Plenty
Bloodmoon
Building Gadgets
Chickens
Chisels and Bits
Computality
Crop Dusting
Customized Dungeon Loot
Custom NPCs
Deadly World
Dimension Doors
Dimension Edibles
Doomlike Dungeons
Dynamic Stealth
Ender Storage
Extreme Reactors
FTB Quests
Grapplehooks
Guns
Invantory Tweaks
Iron Jetpacks
JEI
Journey Map
Lootbags
Lost Cities
Lost Souls
Mean Mobs
Mob Dismemberment
Moo Fluids
Not Enough Wands
Portal Gun
Progressive Difficulty
Recurrent Complex
Refined Storage
Xenos Reliquary
RF Tools
Roguelike Dungeons
Ruins
Singularities
Thermal Dynamics
Tombstone
Tough as Nails
Treasure2
Vehicle Mod
Waystones

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 2, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Patware posted:

what kinds of problems come up because this mod looks cool as poo poo

It basically doesn't interact with other mods outside of the building blocks you use for houses. It's not an aggressive "there's problems" thing, more "you're going to have to tech down for the villagers"

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Hey everybody. I decided to dip my toes into modpack making again, and I have found there are a lot of really cool options in 1.12! So I decided to make a small challenge pack, sort of like the skyblock packs but a bit different. This one is more about exploration, I started out trying to make something like a procedurally generated Fallout game. Its pretty much finished, though I think I will be making some tweaks here and there as I play test it. I might put it up on one of those launchers once I am finished tweaking it, but for now it is simply a .zip that you can import directly into MultiMC.

Escape From Trantor

Download
https://www.mediafire.com/file/o4jjuk53j89fmte/Escape_From_Trantor_v0.02.zip/file

Mod List

downloading it now. might give it a whirl this weekend

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Meskhenet posted:

downloading it now. might give it a whirl this weekend

Please post any feedback! Its pretty open-ended and everyone plays a bit differently so I'm sure you will notice things that I haven't.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Starts in creative mode. i set it to survival.

got to 0,80,0 nothing happened. Unless 0,80,0 isnt the same co ords as what is displayed in the mapping system.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Meskhenet posted:

Starts in creative mode. i set it to survival.

got to 0,80,0 nothing happened. Unless 0,80,0 isnt the same co ords as what is displayed in the mapping system.

It is based on the coordinates displayed on the top compass thing. Are you sure you got to exactly 0,80,0? It doesn't give me any margin for error in the quest system and that particular spot is several blocks in the air.

I set it to survival mode, and thats how it is for me. I donno how to change it just in general, I think the modes might just be for my character?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I had some time today and I did a bit more testing. It turns out the location quests only worked when I was logged into my personal account, when I logged into a different name they were broken! I did a bit of tweaking and everything should be fixed now. When I was at it I replaced the janky starting map with a custom Lost Cities biome type. You can get your starting gear from the quest system. Just select "Lost Cities" than "Trantor"!

Escape From Trantor v0.06
https://www.mediafire.com/file/zl1vdpg1qi8tejr/Escape_From_Trantor_v0.06.zip/file

I have been having a blast play testing it myself. I kept the mod count reasonable, so it is moderately fast loading and quite stable. Exploring the procedurally generated city ruins is really trippy. I have a half dozen different mods generating structures in the world, and it is hard to differentiate them from each other. They all sort of blend together and make a really interesting city-scape to explore. With the Better Stealth and Better Combat mods its fun to bash some heads, which is good because a good number of the abandoned buildings are infested with monsters! I put a mod in there that lets the mobs break blocks/torches as well which really makes clearing out buildings a challenge. There isn't a lot of base-centric tech mods so I have mostly been focusing on exploring and grabbing loot. Though there is enough for a decent tech base, just not every option under the sun. I don't really like those kitchen sink mod packs, I only ever end up using one or two items from each one and it feels like a waste.

The new biome I came up with is much better suited to this mod pack. I combined the "tall buildings" with "wasteland" then layered several atomic wars worth of explosion over top. It took quite a few hours of tweaking to get it just right. Lost Cities mod gives you a lot of rope to hang yourself with, the first couple of tries I ended up creating so many explosions that it destroyed the entire world :v:

The way the different terrain generators interact is fun. These pirates decided to set up in the middle of this blast crater:

This building was hit from all sides, only a sliver remains:

Debris and devastation everywhere!

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 2, 2019

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life
My nieces and Nephews want to play minecraft, but their mother won't let anything "magic" in it. Are there any mods that swap out skeletons, zombies, witches, and the like with something else? The minions are about 6-8 years old, and fully understand sharing, and have figures out how to play various of he LEGO based games (batman, superman, and such seem to be fine, but not the stuff I mentioned before).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Random Encounter posted:

My nieces and Nephews want to play minecraft, but their mother won't let anything "magic" in it.
condolences about your dipshit relative

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Random Encounter posted:

My nieces and Nephews want to play minecraft, but their mother won't let anything "magic" in it. Are there any mods that swap out skeletons, zombies, witches, and the like with something else? The minions are about 6-8 years old, and fully understand sharing, and have figures out how to play various of he LEGO based games (batman, superman, and such seem to be fine, but not the stuff I mentioned before).

Is their mother willing to discuss this irrational phobia with you? Sounds like when my mother flipped out at me for playing Populous the beginning with the shamans.. she also thought D&D was satanic so whatever.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Random Encounter posted:

Let me try to be helpful:
You could get a resource pack to turn them into different mobs with different sound effects... they could also play on Peaceful, but the Enchantment Table and Brewing Stand would probably set off alarms too, so you'd have to install CraftTweaker or something to disable those blocks. The Nether would probably also be forbidden, since you have to go through a (magic) portal to get there.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 2, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

McFrugal posted:

Let me try to be helpful:
You could get a resource pack to turn them into different mobs with different sound effects... they could also play on Peaceful, but the Enchantment Table and Brewing Stand would probably set off alarms too, so you'd have to install CraftTweaker or something to disable those blocks. The Nether would probably also be forbidden, since you have to go through a (magic) portal to get there.
and if she's afraid of magic because of being crazy for christ or something, then the nether would also likely set her off too.

minecraft is a pretty unholy game sometimes once you get past the punch-tree-place-block aspect of it

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 2, 2019

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

DEeeeEEemooOoons!

No but seriously I've never understood this sentiment.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

I lost my GTNH world due to a hard-drive failure. In preparing to start over, I think I'd like to see if I can tweak the pack a bit to fit my playstyle a little better and possibly speed up the early part (say everything through the end of LV age.) Overall, I think my goal here is to try and naturally integrate some of the cheating I intend to do. I had about 9 months of on-again off-again play, and was basically just hitting MV age in my last play-through. I learned quite a bit, and expect that my next base will be much more efficient because of it. What I'd like to tweak:

- Ore scanning/prospecting. I think that the scanner i used to map out my ores was actually removed in the most recent update. What item do you guys use to find your ores? [QoL]
- Peaceful mode. I played pretty much entirely in peaceful mode last time, but I kind of felt bad about it. I like the idea of having to think about defenses when planning out bases. [QoL]
- Water. I hit a water bottleneck multiple times last time. I'm thinking making water tanks cheaper [speed up early game]
- LV Components. pumps, engines, arms, etc... I figured i used give or take 2 stacks of each during my last play-through. I'd like to speed things along by bypassing some of this grind. [speed up early game]
- Corpse Recovery. I like the idea of having to recover my corpse. During my last play-though, any grave I couldn't reach I ended up recovering via command. Id like to find a less cheaty way to do this. [QoL]
- Veinminer. I shoved veinminer into my last play-through, but it only kind of worked as I never really had it configured correctly. I mostly used it for chopping trees. Is there something better than veinminer for 1.7 that would work with all the custom ores, or an easier way to configure veinminer? [QoL]
- Crazy Mobs. What is the mod that makes mobs have boss modifiers? As I played almost entirely peaceful, it never really bothered me. If I go for a less peaceful run this time, not sure if I should remove (would that cause any issues?) or modify this [QoL]

I think I can address some of the above issues by adding some new coin quests in the quest book. One issue I had last time is that I had chests full of coins that I never really bothered to cash in. I'd like to see if I could take some of the above ideas and make better use of the coins. For the ore-scanner, I think I could just set an item and make it buyable for like, 1 full stack of any coin. What I'm not sure about (and would appreciate input on) is if it would be possible to write a quest that toggles your game to peaceful mode for a set amount of time and then reverts to normal. Ideally it would allow the player to spend x amount of any coin type to put their world into peaceful mode for y game days, and then reverts it to normal. In a similar vein, I'd like to be able to spend 1 full stack of any coin type to run the command that recovers your corpse (I think this one might be tricky - if you die a few times trying to get to your grave legitimately, it might be hard to recover the one you want.) If possible, Id like to spend x amount of any coin type to summon all of graves that still exist in all dimensions to my current location.

For the speeding up the early game stuff, what makes sense to me is to tweak the loot tables for the low level lootbags. I've never done this before, and would appreciate any advice on how to do so.

More importantly, I'd really appreciate hearing about pain points or wishes of others who have been playing GTNH recently. Especially ideas others might have to accelerate or smooth out the early experience.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I started to play some RLCraft. It took me a few botched attempts, but eventually I spawned near a desert village. That meant I could sleep in a bed to set my spawn point and I set up shop in a house just outside of town.

It's an interesting approach to minecraft to say the least. I feel kind of directionless at the moment. I have a place to sleep and a basic set of tools (the town let me leapfrog over the whole flint knapping experience to make a grass bed, since I could just use their crafting tables to jump right to stone axes). Not 100% sure what to do next, but I guess I'll figure it out eventually.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

xanthan posted:

What's the easiest way to automate nitor production in All the Mods 3 Remix? Because I need tons of the stuff. Making that is pretty much the last obstacle I have that isn't easily solved by simple stuff. Side question, anything besides a hopping bonsai for getting silverwood leaves?

I don't know what else is in that modpack, and I don't have any experience with Thaumcraft 6 yet. But I can tell you how you would have done it in Thaumcraft 4, and that might translate into Thaumcraft 6. Whatever way you have in that modpack to automate crafting, use that method to automate charcoal production, and craft that charcoal into torches. Then the rest of the steps use the automation tools built into Thaumcraft itself: use the alchemical furnace to melt down charcoal into ignis and potentia essentia, and melt down torches into lux essentia. (You'll want two separate furnaces, one for charcoal and one for torches). Have two alchemy golems move the essentia from those two furnaces into a set of three jars that are connected to a Thaumatorium by essentia tubes. (A separate tube for each essentia, so you never have to deal with essentia blocking each other in tubes). Something feeds glowstone into the Thaumatorium (you could use a Thaumcraft golem for that if you wanted a "pure" Thaumcraft solution here), and a hungry chest sits under the Thaumatorium catching the nitor that it spits out. Voila: as long as you can automate charcoal and torch production, you can make nitor automatically.

At least, you can do so in Thaumcraft 4. Hopefully Thaumcraft 6 still contains the necessary tools to do something similar.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My modpack was finally approved by the Twitch launcher! So anyone who prefers that can pick it up there. It feels nice to finally be a Content Creator rather than a filthy mod thief :v:

Escape from Trantor
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/escape-from-trantor

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Tax Refund posted:

I don't know what else is in that modpack, and I don't have any experience with Thaumcraft 6 yet. But I can tell you how you would have done it in Thaumcraft 4, and that might translate into Thaumcraft 6. Whatever way you have in that modpack to automate crafting, use that method to automate charcoal production, and craft that charcoal into torches. Then the rest of the steps use the automation tools built into Thaumcraft itself: use the alchemical furnace to melt down charcoal into ignis and potentia essentia, and melt down torches into lux essentia. (You'll want two separate furnaces, one for charcoal and one for torches). Have two alchemy golems move the essentia from those two furnaces into a set of three jars that are connected to a Thaumatorium by essentia tubes. (A separate tube for each essentia, so you never have to deal with essentia blocking each other in tubes). Something feeds glowstone into the Thaumatorium (you could use a Thaumcraft golem for that if you wanted a "pure" Thaumcraft solution here), and a hungry chest sits under the Thaumatorium catching the nitor that it spits out. Voila: as long as you can automate charcoal and torch production, you can make nitor automatically.

At least, you can do so in Thaumcraft 4. Hopefully Thaumcraft 6 still contains the necessary tools to do something similar.

Yeah I can do that I think. Golems exist, the furnace exists, and I have been burning stuff to get essential vials to make it easier to avoid taunting the aura. I'll see if the thaumatorium is in 6, thank you. :)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Thaumatoria are much easier to set up in Thaumcraft 6 because there's an "air transmission system" which magically floats essentia to and from the required jars without the need for any pipes whatsoever. It's an incredibly quality of life upgrade and it looks cool to boot.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Rutibex posted:

My modpack was finally approved by the Twitch launcher! So anyone who prefers that can pick it up there. It feels nice to finally be a Content Creator rather than a filthy mod thief :v:

Escape from Trantor
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/escape-from-trantor

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but when I click the link on the page it opens Twitch but doesn't find the pack and searching only finds a Path to Trantor pack.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Depends posted:

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but when I click the link on the page it opens Twitch but doesn't find the pack and searching only finds a Path to Trantor pack.

Try this link:
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/escape-from-trantor/download/2820877?client=y

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Same thing for my friend and I. Guess we'll have to do it manually.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Vib Rib posted:

Thaumatoria are much easier to set up in Thaumcraft 6 because there's an "air transmission system" which magically floats essentia to and from the required jars without the need for any pipes whatsoever. It's an incredibly quality of life upgrade and it looks cool to boot.

So basically the Thaumcraft 4 infusion altar but for everything?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Ambaire posted:

So basically the Thaumcraft 4 infusion altar but for everything?

Yeah. the entire tube system is basically replaced with wireless transmitters and receivers that see any essentia containers some number of blocks in front of them. it's incredibly nice and going back to 1.7.10 tc after that really sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Hooplah posted:

Yeah. the entire tube system is basically replaced with wireless transmitters and receivers that see any essentia containers some number of blocks in front of them. it's incredibly nice and going back to 1.7.10 tc after that really sucks

I wonder how hard it would be to make a mod that replicates the altar wireless system for TC4 other stuff.