Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Post processing I'm almost entirely self taught and have leaned heavily on VSCO plugins in the last few years. I know I have some pretty huge gaps in my knowledge as it's mostly been trial and error dinking around with sliders. Generally I'm usually OK with what I can accomplish in post (much less so my lighting abilities) however I know I would benefit a lot more from understanding the mechanics of what I'm doing more. Would like to improve at using both LR and PS, have both through Adobe CC.

One YouTube source I'd really recommend especially if you want to get more in depth with Photoshop: PixImperfect. Has a number of really good videos.

Post processing in one place I want to explore myself. But my issue is that I hardly ever see anyone discuss WHY they may decided to use a specific editing technique from a creative aspect. Learning the technical bits is fine but I feel like I learn more when people explain the creative process for using these tools. Just at the moment whenever I watch videos online I hardly ever see anyone discussing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
What do people use to (color) calibrate their screens? I notice that between the three computers I routinely use, my pictures look alternatively too dark or too washed out (in addition to just plain bad). I'm assuming a calibration tool would help (except with the bad part), but have no experience with a thing like this (only with taking bad pictures).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bought the middle tier colormunki option. It's been fine, I guess. I've only done 10 or so prints since I bought it but the colors came back exactly how they looked on the screen so I guess that means its doing the job.

But I'm not exactly a color guru.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Make sure you have a decent monitor too, like an IPS screen at least.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

ReverendHammer posted:

One YouTube source I'd really recommend especially if you want to get more in depth with Photoshop: PixImperfect. Has a number of really good videos.

Thanks, have added that to my queue!

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I'm having some issues with manual focus and low light conditions. Recently a lot of the photos I've been taking have been in fairly low light situations that adding light to isn't possible. And I'm finding that when I look down the viewfinder I'm struggling to get things into focus. Is there some sort of trick for this to help?

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Thanks xzzy and alkanphel. Looking at the options starting at an amazon search for colormunki, it looks like it'll be around $200-300 give or take. At that price I can probably tolerate the differences between monitors. I stupidly had assumed it'd be a ~$50 piece of hardware. Thanks for making me look in the right direction.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Thomamelas posted:

I'm having some issues with manual focus and low light conditions. Recently a lot of the photos I've been taking have been in fairly low light situations that adding light to isn't possible. And I'm finding that when I look down the viewfinder I'm struggling to get things into focus. Is there some sort of trick for this to help?

If you have a mirrorless camera with an EVF there's usually an option to turn off the 'exposure effects in viewfinder'. This way the EVF will make sure you can at least see what you're doing. If you're on a DSLR of some sort... well I'll defer to the DSLR peeps here for advice.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Manual focus on a DSLR sucks unless you can use live view and zoom in. I like using adapted m42 glass and I'm probably going to switch the focusing screen in my 5Div to one with a split circle.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Back when I used a dslr I had a KatzEye split prism screen and it was so good it was unreal, drat shame they went out of business. Never seen a dslr with a stock focusing screen worth a poo poo.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Back when I used a dslr I had a KatzEye split prism screen and it was so good it was unreal, drat shame they went out of business. Never seen a dslr with a stock focusing screen worth a poo poo.

Oh drat, I didn't know they went out of business. Actually, I guess that kind of makes sense, that was a rapidly disappearing niche. I have one of their screens in my D300, it's great.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I’m going to commission a Play Like a Champion Today sign to hang over my door except it’s going to say Watch Your Shutter Speed

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

ReverendHammer posted:

Post processing in one place I want to explore myself. But my issue is that I hardly ever see anyone discuss WHY they may decided to use a specific editing technique from a creative aspect. Learning the technical bits is fine but I feel like I learn more when people explain the creative process for using these tools. Just at the moment whenever I watch videos online I hardly ever see anyone discussing that.

Update to this:

As it turns out, I have Lynda.com access through my library - took a couple tries to get the URL right but once I figured it out it was easy to login and setup. The vibe I get feels like it's oriented more towards boomers, but the content generally seems good.

There's no shortage of videos available, haven't had a chance to go through many, but the one 6 hour course on retouching portraits I found has lessons, followed by a challenge (you get the original files to play around with) and then a solution to check yourself against.

Had a quick look through a couple others and they're more straightforward how-to videos without the "classwork" focus, but looks like there's plenty there for me to learn.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Lynda is awesome, especially Ben Long’s content.

I recommend watching at 1.25 or 1.5x

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Ahoy. Sports photography question time, well two questions. First, are there any good resources — books, blogs, etc — for the tactics of shooting team sports? Not just camera settings, but other advice. Where to locate yourself for a given activity, what to shoot (“two players and a ball”), etc.

Second question: I was shooting my sons soccer game today and I noticed I was having real difficulty framing shots because the action was always either moving toward me or away. In some cases I’d be zoomed to 200mm on my X-T3 when the ball would get sent down the pitch toward me (setup on one goal line). The next thing I know I’ve got four shots of a body and 1/3rd of a ball because I didn’t zoom out to 75mm or somesuch. For those who shoot a lot of team sports, how do you handle zooming? Do you focus on certain areas for some amount of time, or are you constantly following the action? Are you staying relatively wide and cropping as necessary?

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

Ahoy. Sports photography question time, well two questions. First, are there any good resources — books, blogs, etc — for the tactics of shooting team sports? Not just camera settings, but other advice. Where to locate yourself for a given activity, what to shoot (“two players and a ball”), etc.

Second question: I was shooting my sons soccer game today and I noticed I was having real difficulty framing shots because the action was always either moving toward me or away. In some cases I’d be zoomed to 200mm on my X-T3 when the ball would get sent down the pitch toward me (setup on one goal line). The next thing I know I’ve got four shots of a body and 1/3rd of a ball because I didn’t zoom out to 75mm or somesuch. For those who shoot a lot of team sports, how do you handle zooming? Do you focus on certain areas for some amount of time, or are you constantly following the action? Are you staying relatively wide and cropping as necessary?

I'd highly recommend hitting up the Sports photography thread. There's a few people in there who are doing good work and can give you some ideas.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

ReverendHammer posted:

I'd highly recommend hitting up the Sports photography thread. There's a few people in there who are doing good work and can give you some ideas.

Totally forgot that thread existed. I’ll post this up in there, thanks.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm getting my first off-cam flashes for my GH5 + 12-35Mk1. Doing a combination of corporate headshots, event photography, and food photography. And for that I'm thinking of getting the AD200Pro and TT685 with the Xpro Olympus Trigger. I'll be doing event photography, corporate headshots, with occasional food photography

Has anyone out there ever shot with this setup? And is there any harm in pairing the TT685 Speedlight with the Ad200Pro monster of a strobe? I just thought I'd get the strobe for the very dark events I shoot at, and the speedlight for the added versatility. And will I run into any issues using off camera flashes with Viltrox (EF to M43) adapted glass?

For the event photography I plan on having an assistant follow me. And for the headshots I'm going to use the AD200Pro as the key, and TT685 for the hairlight.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 30, 2019

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
You mounting the speedlight on camera? If not might as well just get 2 AD200's

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

jarlywarly posted:

You mounting the speedlight on camera? If not might as well just get 2 AD200's
No, probably not mounting the speedlight on camera. I was considering 2x AD200Pros, but if the TT685 and AD200Pro produce two very different types of light (and I feel like they would) maybe two AD200s is the way to go.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

melon cat posted:

No, probably not mounting the speedlight on camera. I was considering 2x AD200Pros, but if the TT685 and AD200Pro produce two very different types of light (and I feel like they would) maybe two AD200s is the way to go.

The light the AD200 produces is really down to the head you put on.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Got a new phone and reinstalled the Flickr app (Oneplus 7 Pro, Android 10). I use the Flickr app to download images from my Flickr account to my phone so that I can then reupload them to Instagram (or share them on Line or w/e). The old version of the app has been deprecated and there's now a completely new one. Ok, I got that and signed in as before.
If I try to download anything now I get a 'Download started' notification, and then nothing. No download complete notification, and no downloaded file in any gallery album or download folder. The Flickr app has all permissions granted including storage, I have data saver off and no usage caps on my mobile data package.
I tried googling for answers, but all the threads I could find are about the previous app version, and were resolved by giving the app storage permissions - which it already has.

Does anyone here have the same problem? Did you fix it?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Helen Highwater posted:

Got a new phone and reinstalled the Flickr app (Oneplus 7 Pro, Android 10). I use the Flickr app to download images from my Flickr account to my phone so that I can then reupload them to Instagram (or share them on Line or w/e). The old version of the app has been deprecated and there's now a completely new one. Ok, I got that and signed in as before.
If I try to download anything now I get a 'Download started' notification, and then nothing. No download complete notification, and no downloaded file in any gallery album or download folder. The Flickr app has all permissions granted including storage, I have data saver off and no usage caps on my mobile data package.
I tried googling for answers, but all the threads I could find are about the previous app version, and were resolved by giving the app storage permissions - which it already has.

Does anyone here have the same problem? Did you fix it?

For me flickr creates a folder in the DCIM folder called flickr and dumps it there.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Hmm, so it does, however that folder is only viewable via file maangeer and not via the gallery app. Do you know how to make it visible so that it behaves like any other app media folder?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
You can share directly from Flickr app to Instagram.

Go to your image in the Flickr app, hit the share icon (3 small circles connected by 2 lines), choose the Instagram icon with feed next to it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would change the workflow, export your photos to Dropbox or google drive or whatever and now they're easily available on all your devices.

Flickr can work as a file store, but it's pretty clumsy.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I use Flickr as my primary show off place for my photos, I have Lightroom hooked to it using the Flickr plugin, this means if I want to made a slight edit change I can just re-publish the photo to Flickr though Lightroom.

I also put some of my more 'mainstream appeal' images on Instagram and do this by sharing from the Flickr app.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

no problems downloading from the Flickr app into the Photos app on iOS whatsoever.

for my purposes I'm still frustrated Fujifilm's camera app broke itself on the rocks of the iOS 13 upgrade, and still hasn't been fixed. No way to send photos to my phone at the moment. Ah well.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

jarlywarly posted:

You can share directly from Flickr app to Instagram.

Go to your image in the Flickr app, hit the share icon (3 small circles connected by 2 lines), choose the Instagram icon with feed next to it.

You can, but it compresses the hell out of the photo. Also sometimes I want to drop a picture to a random social media chat and don't need to link it back.

I don't use Flickr as a filestore, I have offline storage and cloud backup for that. But it is where I publish all of my stuff, and part of that is because it's easy to share content from there and give people the option to browse around. Services like Dropbox don't have that kind of convenience and, until now, I could easily use the app as a way to grab individual files from my account to share in a more targeted manner.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Helen Highwater posted:

Hmm, so it does, however that folder is only viewable via file maangeer and not via the gallery app. Do you know how to make it visible so that it behaves like any other app media folder?

It's viewable and sharable in my gallery app which is the default one on a oneplus5 which I'd assume be the same as yours?

Just looked and you can also share it from the Google photos app.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Two questions-

1) Has anyone had success with GPS with either the Nikon D5300 or similar cameras? I just did the A-GPS file update thing and my camera has been on for about a minute now and still hasn't found a signal. Also why the hell does the file have to be updated once every 14 days?

2) I'm looking at Geo Tracker as a potential alternative. It kind of looks like a pain in the rear end to setup though. Does anyone else enjoy using it? I'd probably only end up using it while I'm traveling and roaming around random cities so it might not actually be that bad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You mean Geo Tracker the app? I wouldn't use a phone for that stuff, it's gonna destroy your battery.

When I'm out and about I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EAB2Y8Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a relatively old product but it's rock solid and locks satellites a lot better than the modern crop of pocket loggers. Basically if you dig into the nerd details there's only a handful of chips out there available for these devices to use, and the budget ones are really bad. They have trouble finding satellites or are unable to properly filter the data so you get a lot of wild zigzags in the resulting gps track. They commonly produce files with proprietary formats too, so you're stuck using some lovely windows app just to get data off them.

The g-porter gets about 10 hours of logging (the specs claim 17 hours but that's bullshit) on a single charge and you can pull files off it over usb, load it up in gpsbabel, then export it in the gpx format that Lightroom understands. The only way it could be easier is if it produced gpx files itself (it makes a .fit format, which is an open format, it's just that LR doesn't parse it).

(I don't trust/use camera gps loggers because of the battery issue. if you leave the camera on to maintain the satellite signals you're gonna murder your battery, and if you constantly turn the camera off you're gonna get bad geotags because the camera hasn't found a signal yet)

xzzy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 31, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So I haven't used my Flickr account in a few years, I'm 99% its associated to an email address (Yahoo) that I only really used for a few things, and I can see Flickr notifications in there, including ones that say I'm almost at my limit (which is correct), but flickr.com says there's no account associated with that email. I'm logged in on my phone, but can't see any username/email address indicators, and I can find my account when I google my name and access it, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to log into the drat thing. Anyone gone through this?

I doubt I'll even use it anymore due to the limit, but I kinda want access regardless!

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Flickr changed their login system a little while ago so that it's no longer tied to a Yahoo account. It's possible that yours got delinked form there as a result.

On your phone if you go to the About tab of your feed (scroll right in the top navigation bar under your banner image), it tells you there which email address is associated with your account.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Anyone have a good system for managing a Lightroom catalog between two computers? I bring my laptop traveling with me and tend to do a first pass of edits on my laptop. I then sync those images to Google drive where I edit on my desktop. I'd love to be able to edit on both computers. Was thinking of maybe replacing my catalog with only sidecars but that sounds like a bad idea. Thoughts?

Edit: It looks like I can write changes to sidecars on my laptop, import them into my desktop, the changes from the sidecar gets written to the catalog, and then I can delete the sidecars. Anything wrong with this approach?

huhu fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 2, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

Flickr changed their login system a little while ago so that it's no longer tied to a Yahoo account. It's possible that yours got delinked form there as a result.

On your phone if you go to the About tab of your feed (scroll right in the top navigation bar under your banner image), it tells you there which email address is associated with your account.

If you never converted away from yahoo, flickr still has you log in with your yahoo account. I did this to reactivate an old account a few weeks ago.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 2, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Helen Highwater posted:

Yeah that’s where I was expecting to find something, but all I get is generic stuff.

Strange but not the end of the world, if my phone stays logged in. Have moved over to Google Photos using an unofficial Lightroom script. Not a massive fan, but eh.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah that’s where I was expecting to find something, but all I get is generic stuff.

No, not the About section of the app, the About section of your feed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, I don’t even have one of those! If I keep scrolling it just bounces back after Groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Strange but not the end of the world, if my phone stays logged in. Have moved over to Google Photos using an unofficial Lightroom script. Not a massive fan, but eh.

Are you using the current Flickr app or the discontinued one?