Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'd say Snap Out and Preemptive Strike are some good first time mods. Snap Out lets you have your warden talk down pawns having a mental break, which is better then every mental break either being you dealing with the effects of a useless pawn who is probably eating all your food, stripping naked and walking outside in below 0 temp or torching your colony. Or trying to arrest them where they'll always resist and then you better hope the resulting fight doesn't have a pawn channel their inner dwarf fortress where anyone can punch off the arm of anyone else like it aint no thing.

Preemptive strike gives you a warning about incoming raids or things falling from the sky so you can prepare for it as opposed to the bad thing just suddenly appearing in your base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I ended up uninstalling Snap Out because I have my game set to pause on errors (so I can diagnose issues before they become a problem) and every so often a pawn is bugged so that Snap Out can't target them... and then repeat a thousand times whenever a pawn looks for a new job and the Snap Out job tries and fails until the bugged pawn finishes their mental break normally.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Leal posted:

I'd say Snap Out and Preemptive Strike are some good first time mods. Snap Out lets you have your warden talk down pawns having a mental break, which is better then every mental break either being you dealing with the effects of a useless pawn who is probably eating all your food, stripping naked and walking outside in below 0 temp or torching your colony. Or trying to arrest them where they'll always resist and then you better hope the resulting fight doesn't have a pawn channel their inner dwarf fortress where anyone can punch off the arm of anyone else like it aint no thing.

It's especially fun when it happens to the guy whom you augmented with a power arm.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011

Extremely worried for Giggles right now.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Gantolandon posted:

It's especially fun when it happens to the guy whom you augmented with a power arm.

My first experience with one of those T5 androids was it having a mental break and uppercutting my most important colonists head clean off in one blow.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, the T5 androids are amazing colonists... except for having a trait that makes them literally go mad and murder people for no reason. Unless you aren't attached to your colonists the best use of them is to have them research the top end parts for T4 androids and then exile or execute them. Probably execute since you don't want them on the enemy side.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Asimo posted:

Yeah, the T5 androids are amazing colonists... except for having a trait that makes them literally go mad and murder people for no reason. Unless you aren't attached to your colonists the best use of them is to have them research the top end parts for T4 androids and then exile or execute them. Probably execute since you don't want them on the enemy side.

post/av combo

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
If you send the T5 android to its own little colony without humans (or lesser androids, I think it hates those too), will it still flip out from time to time?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Probably, but if it's on its own it can't do anything too terrible.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Can't flip out and kill people if there's no people. :thunk:

Not sure what the break does if there's no valid targets. Worst case it's probably tantrum style and they smash stuff a while, best case nothing happens. Depending on your mod list, anything that changes traits can remove it too but that's obviously an unintended interaction.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Someone remind me: did they ever make it so that wall material affects insulation in the end? e.g. will a room with stone walls retain heat as well as wooden ones?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yes, it will. Double thick walls insulate far better but that’s the long and short of it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
There is a mod that adds insulated walls though, and the top quality insulated walls are roughly equivalent to double walling according to the description.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Honestly most of the time with a modded playthrough it's just easier to poo poo more cold into it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What mod do you use for androids?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Android tiers is a good, and the one being discussed above.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Tias posted:

What mod do you use for androids?

I use Androids because it's lightweight and reasonably well designed, the worker and battle droids don't sleep but need batteries to recharge, have no specialization traits, and are unable to progress their skills so they're excellent for filling manpower gaps in the early game but don't obsolete living pawns. The Android Printer can be pretty overpowered though if you are patient enough to reroll the stats, along with the unique mods you can research and construct them with. Does take a ton of resources so it's strictly a lategame feature at least, when you're probably looking for vanity projects to focus on.

I like the premise of Android Tiers but I gave it up because it cluttered the hell out of the research tree and trade lists, and the prosthetics table was bugged and didn't give me the option to manufacture most of the upgrades at all for some reason. If you want murder happy T5 androids though then this is the one you pick up.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Note that the droids don't need the crafted batteries to recharge as long as you have some placed batteries handy, they'll just suck juice from the grid as need be. The droid batteries are mostly for caravans or emergency blackouts or the like. Androids proper can use the grid too, though they'll prefer to eat food unless it's forbidden to them. If you're stuck on foods that don't give mood bonuses you may as well just forbid it and they'll putter along fine.

And yeah, I think I like Tiers better in concept, but it has a few weak points. Not being able to actually fully replace damaged limbs on T1 bots for example, and they would probably work better if they were set up like the worker/battle droids instead. The high investment of the higher tier androids make rolling lovely traits or skills a painful investment. On the other hand, being able to custom-build Androids androids is hilariously broken, so hey.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

For me the dealbreaker on Tiers was not having a power grid recharge option.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Nalesh posted:

Honestly most of the time with a modded playthrough it's just easier to poo poo more cold into it.

this is generally true even for vanilla playthroughs. double walling something requires a lot more forethought on spacing and architecture, and your alternative is generally to just throw another heater or cooler on it and build another power installation and maybe another battery or two. one of the stupidest things to pinch pennies on in this game is electricity considering how much work it does for you so nine times out of ten it's better to just build the solar panel or the windmill or the geo plant and get on with your life.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A problem I always get is running out of steel and components before I'm able to adequately get my fabrication/drill mining operation set up. Is there something I should do here to get a bit more in front of that wall?

I guess I could strip-mine an adjacent cell? I don't know.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

jokes posted:

A problem I always get is running out of steel and components before I'm able to adequately get my fabrication/drill mining operation set up. Is there something I should do here to get a bit more in front of that wall?

Grow drugs and buy components with them. Set up a smelter and melt everything you get your hands on; raiders bring lovely guns that will almost never be better than your own crafter's output, and aren't worth selling, but even a pistol will give you ~10 steel. Mining is a clown's game.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
For an alternative robot mod, Misc Robots++ is pretty cool. Little roombas that zoom around your base (they act like pets) doing various tasks. The annoying thing is you can't actually assign them to bills and if you have a mountain base they are easily destroyed by bugs if you aren't careful with your zones/shutdown.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
That mod is great cause the hauling robot is one of those 4 rotor drones and they can haul corpses to the crematory. I like the image of an amazon drone picking up a body and dropping into the hatch.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Leal posted:

That mod is great cause the hauling robot is one of those 4 rotor drones and they can haul corpses to the crematory. I like the image of an amazon drone picking up a body and dropping into the hatch.

I didn't need this dystopian vision of our future in my head.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Alexa, deliver my dead idiot body to the corpse pile/fire. 2-day shipping is fine :sigh:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

jokes posted:

keeshhound has the right of it, just trade. drugs, booze, clothing, and healroot/herbal meds are all decent trade goods that you can easily bring a fair bit of to nearby enclaves. i typically just send two people, one diplomat and one fighter. that's acceptable until you can get a muffalo to increase volume. once i have a pack animal i typically plant a giant field of healroot so i can flood the area with herbal meds for goods and goodwill.

art and furniture also make great trade goods, and furniture in particular depends upon Construction so it's a skill you will probably have anyway - but that relies on traders coming to you, generally, since hauling a bunch of chairs and beds tends to be prohibitive.

smelting is also good but smelting takes a surprisingly long time so be ready to keep someone on that pretty much full time!

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
Combat Extended and CE Guns just got a big update. If you're using CE FastTrack, you'll need to put the old version of CE Guns in your local mods directory until FastTrack updates, or suffer a million red error messages on load.

If you're a normal CE user, and want to keep 1.5 until other mods update to be compatible with 1.6, the old version is also on Github.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Is Combat Extended an upgrade of that old Combat Realism mod? I remember trying that years ago and thinking it was hilariously over-the-top, with things like miniguns having sniper rifle range and spewing over a hundred bullets in a burst, and other ridiculous poo poo that just completely broke combat in the game in a not-good way. I wouldn't mind giving it another shot, though, if it's been toned down since then, especially since I notice there's a sweet-looking weapon impact effects mod that someone made for it: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1756442393&searchtext=combat+extended+effects

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I think I'm officially done with my current base-- everyone has advanced bionic limbs and I'm making everything out of silver, it has kind of lost any sense of challenge. I've never actually built a ship and beat the game so maybe I should do that..... or get everyone addicted to every drug and see what happens.

I was thinking of doing Rim of Madness or maybe a prison labor colony. Has anyone played those different scenarios I see in the Rimworld workshop?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

sharkbomb posted:

I think I'm officially done with my current base-- everyone has advanced bionic limbs and I'm making everything out of silver, it has kind of lost any sense of challenge. I've never actually built a ship and beat the game so maybe I should do that..... or get everyone addicted to every drug and see what happens.

I was thinking of doing Rim of Madness or maybe a prison labor colony. Has anyone played those different scenarios I see in the Rimworld workshop?

Definitely do the ship, and crank the difficulty if it's boring.

Rim of Madness is a gas, it kind of dominates a playthrough so I don't run it every time, but it's well made and adds a ton of fun stuff to the game. Highly recommend.

Those scenarios are all just presets for the vanilla options, they don't actually add anything to the game you don't already have. Most people don't use 'em, but if you see one that you really like the sound of, I guess it saves you the effort of clicking through and setting the options yourself.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

sharkbomb posted:

I was just about to do a vampire cave coven run for spooky season, myself. I love the Rim of Madness mods.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh good news, Preemptive Strike added new art assets at some point that actually match the proper angle of the rest of the art. No reason not to use it now. :toot:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Vampire cave is going hilariously. Vampires don't have to sleep, so they spend all day digging and searching for eldritch secrets. Our sermon giver sucks so bad that he makes the already nearly insane vampires have mental breaks every morning. When the work day is nearly done (punctuated by collapsing from exhaustion), everyone goes out to the fields and feeds on the wildlife.

One vampire is a Tzmeszcieiziez, so there's never a problem calling more animals. But their favorite dish is always the floating jellyfish that explode upon death. Vampires don't like fire, so they go into Rotshreck until they run into some bog water nearby. And then immediately feed on one again. That's some good blood I guess. And the jellyfish always make up a huge part of every herd.

The gargoyle is a bloodlusted brawler who loves starting fights after getting themselves pissed off by fire. When everyone returns to the cave near dawn there is always a supernatural fist fight or two. Anyone who didn't feed enough can drink from our prisoner in the fridge, Jason. Jason is sanguine so he doesn't mind sleeping in a cave with the corpses of our kills while suffering from runny rear end. Sometimes he does, so we have one of our guys with the dominate discipline settle him down. Maybe one day we will embrace him, he's a good pawn.

All in all I highly recommend playing Rimworld: What We Do In The Shadows.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Average Bear posted:

All in all I highly recommend playing Rimworld: What We Do In The Shadows.

Hah, this is great.

Highly recommend ghouling Jason, ghouls need a trickle of vitae every few days, but they don't add nearly as much blood demand to your colony as a full vampire does. They get a lot of benefits (aren't harmed by sunlight) and can use the first level of their clan's vampire disciplines. You can embrace a ghoul later if you want.

Maybe things have changed since the last time I used the mod, but how do you get your vampires to work all day? When I last used it vampires automatically went to sleep during the day unless drafted, no matter how much cave work there was to do.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Hah, this is great.

Highly recommend ghouling Jason, ghouls need a trickle of vitae every few days, but they don't add nearly as much blood demand to your colony as a full vampire does. They get a lot of benefits (aren't harmed by sunlight) and can use the first level of their clan's vampire disciplines. You can embrace a ghoul later if you want.

Maybe things have changed since the last time I used the mod, but how do you get your vampires to work all day? When I last used it vampires automatically went to sleep during the day unless drafted, no matter how much cave work there was to do.

The trick is to schedule them to only work during daylight hours. Nighttime can be left unscheduled. You can't schedule recreation during daylight or they'll just sleep.

You can probably also give them drugs to make it through the day without collapsing from exhaustion... but even if they do you can just draft and undraft them awake again.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Is there a dev command to end a mental break? I'm in a late game convoy with SRTS and I've spent 30 minutes of real time waiting for a motherfucker to stop being in antisocial. This ain't the first time either. Most of the time I just leave the guy to die because gently caress it but this guy is decent at shooting and you hate to see it.

I'd just unload the ship and roll the dice on arresting him, but everyone in the ship has gone to depressed while waiting.

I could dev kill and dev resurrect but if there's a cleaner way to just stop a goddamn status I'd love to hear it lmao

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Theres a damage to down dev command, and it might be added by a mod but theres a "damage legs" button that only hits the legs and therefore does fewer wounds. Plus it's nice to imagine the universe kneecapping some jackass for wasting everyone's time :v:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Anyone have recommendations for core mods for a medieval/fantasy set up? I'm using A Rimworld of Magic for sure, but beyond that I don't know what is good or what works together. Is Lord of the Rims - The Third Age good, or should I use Medieval Times + the Medieval storyteller from Vanilla Factions Expanded? Or do they work together? Would the Rim of Madness mods work in a medieval setup, or is any of the content locked behind more advanced techs? What are the best race mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Traxis posted:

Anyone have recommendations for core mods for a medieval/fantasy set up? I'm using A Rimworld of Magic for sure, but beyond that I don't know what is good or what works together. Is Lord of the Rims - The Third Age good, or should I use Medieval Times + the Medieval storyteller from Vanilla Factions Expanded? Or do they work together? Would the Rim of Madness mods work in a medieval setup, or is any of the content locked behind more advanced techs? What are the best race mods?

Lord of the Rims is good, Medieval Times adds an enormous amount of bloat, and item clutter, I don't like it. I haven't tried the medieval storyteller from vanilla factions. Rim of Madness would work, yeah, although if you install the rim of madness Factions mod you'll get hardboiled prohibition era detectives running around with trench coats and revolvers.