Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Am I being woooshed here?
Had the same thought, agreed entirely with Beach Bum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
If you can't see, get a spotter. If you can't get a spotter and still can't see, sucks to be you I guess but that's how it is with box trucks, RVs and buses that don't have provisions for a rear view.

In reality, if your view is blocked, you should be backing out so slowly and cautiously that you're basically stopped. People in the lane are going to avoid you if they can see you, but they'll hit you if you just jam out into traffic before they can react.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

NoWake posted:

If you can't see, get a spotter. If you can't get a spotter and still can't see, sucks to be you I guess but that's how it is with box trucks, RVs and buses that don't have provisions for a rear view.

In reality, if your view is blocked, you should be backing out so slowly and cautiously that you're basically stopped. People in the lane are going to avoid you if they can see you, but they'll hit you if you just jam out into traffic before they can react.

Yeah, the real problem is people who just floor it in reverse out of their spot. You always think people would be more careful when piloting a large, heavy box of metal, but nah. I don't care if you're "right" or have right of way or whatever, just be careful.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The problem with parking lots is everyone does everything way too fast.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Beach Bum posted:

I was writing up a post about how cops are a generally unreliable source on law, and how it's likely the insurance company was bullshitting to dodge a claim, but I deleted it as I wasn't going to bother to look up a source for the second claim.

Edit: I dragged myself over to google and dug this up:

TL;DR Don't trust cops or your insurance company.

My car has cameras on the corners of the front bumper, so I literally always back into parking spots now. It's not fool-proof, but it at least gives me a reasonable amount of visibility if I can get a few millimeters past the godawful Expedition or Armada that's probably parked next to me.

Edit- Fault in parking lots also isn't always completely clear cut. You're going to be at fault if you back out and get hit because there's a car right there and you have no visibility. You probably won't be found (entirely) at fault if someone is way down at the end of the aisle and they just decide to keep on driving while you're already halfway out. There's always a reasonable expectation of avoidance, and both police and insurance companies don't take kindly to "well I had right of way so I decided to just plow into him."

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 31, 2019

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
The easy solution to backing out of a parking space is to back into it instead. Then you can just drive out forwards with plenty of viability. Majority of the time I find it much easier to back in than out.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

My car has cameras on the corners of the front bumper, so I literally always back into parking spots now. It's not fool-proof, but it at least gives me a reasonable amount of visibility if I can get a few millimeters past the godawful Expedition or Armada that's probably parked next to me.

Edit- Fault in parking lots also isn't always completely clear cut. You're going to be at fault if you back out and get hit because there's a car right there and you have no visibility. You probably won't be found (entirely) at fault if someone is way down at the end of the aisle and they just decide to keep on driving while you're already halfway out. There's always a reasonable expectation of avoidance, and both police and insurance companies don't take kindly to "well I had right of way so I decided to just plow into him."

I put plenty of people partially, or fully, at fault for that very reason back in my adjuster days. You have a duty (last clear chance) to avoid an accident but you would be surprised how many morons think “WELL YEAH I SAW HIM BACKING UP 200 FEET AWAY AND HE WAS IN A PANEL VAN BUT I HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY SO I JUST KEPT GOING AND CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? HE HIT ME!!!” is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, and say on a recorded line.

It’s right up there with the guys who hit a parked car and claim it’s not their fault because the car was parked “illegally”

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Ebola Dog posted:

The easy solution to backing out of a parking space is to back into it instead. Then you can just drive out forwards with plenty of viability. Majority of the time I find it much easier to back in than out.

I just park further away from the store. More steps won’t kill me and it avoids the craziness that happens closer to the storefront.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Protocol7 posted:

I just park further away from the store. More steps won’t kill me and it avoids the craziness that happens closer to the storefront.

I find this with around 80% certainty, there will be a vehicle parked next to me in BFE when there were ten open spaces on each side.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Colostomy Bag posted:

I find this with around 80% certainty, there will be a vehicle parked next to me in BFE when there were ten open spaces on each side.

Same. I think there are a couple theories as to why this happens. 1) We are all too well aware of how ignorant people are of the dimension of their vehicle and are incapable of parking in the lines without another car as reference. So if they were in the general area of the lot as you and wanted to park, you're their guide. 2) Some people know why we do this and say "Hey, they clearly care about their car and don't want it dinged, so they won't ding mine!" and park next to you.

For a while after getting my newest car I'd park way out where no one was parked and yeah it seemed like 8 or 9 times out of 10 a rusted dodge grand caravan would be parked right next to me upon coming back out. Someone would probably attribute this to affirmation bias and I couldn't argue with them too much. But I notice this a lot as well and I think it's the same phenomena responsible for when I:

Am on an empty highway at 2am and the one person I see/pass in the past 3 and next 3 hours of driving decides to plant their headlights in my mirrors for miles and miles no matter how much faster or slower I go to try to create some distance.

Sit down in an empty restaurant with free choice of seating and someone comes in and sits right next to or behind me/us.

Take one empty stall out of 6 in an empty bathroom and someone comes in and takes the stall right next to me and blow it up.

Go see a movie that's been out for weeks and the theater is almost empty and someone comes in and sits next to or behind me a half hour in and chomps on popcorn unbelievably loudly.

Edit: Go to an empty or nearly empty beach with tons of space everywhere and a family with dozens of screaming kids plops down right next to me.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 31, 2019

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It’s right up there with the guys who hit a parked car and claim it’s not their fault because the car was parked “illegally”

This happened to my last car, which was a loving magnet for idiots right up until it was totaled while I was stopped at a stop sign. I pulled over to the curb to check a text message and maybe a foot of my front bumper was extended into a no-parking zone. Guy parked behind me drove directly into my rear bumper and then tried to argue with the cop that it wasn't his fault because my car wasn't parked legally. That cop was not amused.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Paradoxish posted:

This happened to my last car, which was a loving magnet for idiots right up until it was totaled while I was stopped at a stop sign. I pulled over to the curb to check a text message and maybe a foot of my front bumper was extended into a no-parking zone. Guy parked behind me drove directly into my rear bumper and then tried to argue with the cop that it wasn't his fault because my car wasn't parked legally. That cop was not amused.

My favorite 'cop was not amused' incident came when a car ran a stop sign in front of me and I ended up t-boning him. As I left the scene in a tow truck, the driver of the other car was trying to argue his way out of a 100% at fault failure to yield ticket by saying that he had cataracts in his right eye and couldn't see me coming.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

yamdankee posted:

Same. I think there are a couple theories as to why this happens. 1) We are all too well aware of how ignorant people are of the dimension of their vehicle and are incapable of parking in the lines without another car as reference. So if they were in the general area of the lot as you and wanted to park, you're their guide. 2) Some people know why we do this and say "Hey, they clearly care about their car and don't want it dinged, so they won't ding mine!" and park next to you.

I used a little bit of hyperbole, maybe is 3-5 spaces. But yeah, it is funny. I tend to see or know based on experience the 'nutiness' of the lot and shoot for a pull out spot. What the hell is walking an extra 1-200 feet or so when you have a 100,000 sqft store ahead of you.

I did like your rusted out Dodge Caravan reference. My response when walking out and seeing it "Really?"

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah, everyone fucks up while driving once in a while.

Like 5 days after we had a baby in May I was driving and thought I forgot something, so I merged into a left turn lane to make a U-turn at a stop light, but realized I didn't need to turn around. But the left turn lane was to turn into a new development that didn't exist yet, so there wasn't anywhere to turn into and the lane ahead was so wide it looked like my lane just went straight, and I had already forgotten it was a left turn lane so when it turned green I just drove straight. No one honked but I saw a truck behind me to the right have his arm raised out the window in a kind of "hey what the hell was that?" gesture, and I couldn't imagine what the problem could be, until like a mile or two later I remembered hey wasn't that a left turn only lane I was in? So some people are idiots and some are just temporary idiots due to lack of sleep.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Like in the movie "Shawshank Redemption" we are all innocent.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Colostomy Bag posted:

The places I go are always packed. I don't really mind if people are parking next to me. At some places, especially Costco, the general parking vehicle traffic is worse closer to the store, so I find it's a lot easier to actually get in and out of the parking lot if you park further away from the store.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Still, one car that parks their own rear end next to you in the back 40 is still a better deal than navigating the Suck Zone up front.

This is my main grocery store:

90% of people who shop there come from the freeway on the right, take the road visible at the bottom, then turn right and right again into the entrance to the parking lot that got cropped out on the left. These people will then fight over the ~30% of available spaces that are closest to the main entrance, aka the suck zone:

I like to park along the top strip with all the employee vehicles, it's a longer walk but all sidewalk so who cares. SOMETIMES there is a pull-through I can just swipe up front, and I'll take it, but I don't even drive through there unless I see one for sure with nobody else circling it.

e: also I can back up to the curb and load poo poo into my trunk without standing in a traffic lane, it's great

Javid fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 2, 2019

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

It's probably confirmation bias, but Whole Foods does seem to attract the worst drivers.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Deeters posted:

It's probably confirmation bias, but Whole Foods does seem to attract the worst drivers.

The one on Dale Mabry/275 in Tampa has a Target on top of it, a Home Depot next door, a Walmart across the street, is very close to the interstate and the stadium, and has a large parking structure combined with ground level parking. The right turn lane exiting the parking lot was once also the straight ahead lane over to Walmart/Best Buy. Anyone coming out of the garage, which exits into the right hand lane, wishing to turn left got blocked by the line of people trying to turn right towards the interstate, who in turn were being blocked by cars waiting for a green light to go straight across. If there was a game on, forget about it. It's taken me twenty minutes and a good bit of bullying my way through just to take a right on green. Reminds me of the invasion of Poland: fit, enthusiastic people with under-cut 'dos in big German vehicles acting like total assholes. Haven't been down there much recently but I heard that problem got fixed, at least.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 3, 2019

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Deeters posted:

The whole foods near me is attached to a mall, this does not improve conditions.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
poo poo like this helps me appreciate my night job and the freedom to shop and drive at off-peak hours.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A whole foods opened near me about a year and a half ago. I've never gone inside but the people who have said the place is practically abandoned and I never see anyone in the parking lot. Amazon has to be subsidizing its existence for some reason because I can't imagine the place is making any money.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It does well near me, because there's a relatively large amount of money in the area. Yuppies love that poo poo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KillHour posted:

A whole foods opened near me about a year and a half ago. I've never gone inside but the people who have said the place is practically abandoned and I never see anyone in the parking lot. Amazon has to be subsidizing its existence for some reason because I can't imagine the place is making any money.

You don't need to sell a lot of $8 cucumber water to make money

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I try to park in the empty outskirts of parking lots, less because I care about people dinging my car, but more because my car is rather wide and I have a toddler. Wide car combined with long doors mixed with trying to wrestle a 30lbs toddler into her car seat, I am kind of hosed if someone decides to park close to the passenger side of my car. Even without the kid in tow it can be difficult finding a parking spot that I can comfortably fit in anyways, especially in underground lots. I love my ls430, but I think it's going to get replaced with a wagon soon. Now I just need to convince the wife I need a v60 polestar...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

It does well near me, because there's a relatively large amount of money in the area. Yuppies love that poo poo.

We have our fair share of yuppies and health food nuts. They all go to the local chain of Coop grocery stores. People here HATE companies that aren't locally owned.

Edit: and we have Wegmans so I don't know why you would go anywhere else

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

PT6A posted:

Like what do you even say to that?

“I’m sorry you nearly backed into me?”

I upset a guy parked too close to the side of me by telling my kids to "wait a moment before trying to get in" because he was obviously going to move in a moment. He screamed at me through his open window, I said in my most condescending voice

"I'm soooooo sorry I don't want to hit your car with my doors"
"drat RIGHT YOU'RE SORRY!"

Then he drove off too fast and my son asked me what his problem was. Good lad. Nobody clapped though, shame.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

KillHour posted:

They're probably using it as a warehouse of sorts for their delivery stuff.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/30/business/grocery-delivery-pickup-walmart-kroger-stop-and-shop/index.html

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It rained and then froze last night so the roads are perfect curling ice. Lots of people throwing weight too.

I’d be out there with a broom if it didn’t mean certain death.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Had a woman fail spectacularly at a dual left turn and almost run me off the road/smash into me.

So, there was a Jeep signaling to get into my lane, and I made room.

She clearly knew I was there seeing as she didn't just ram me. At the turn she is still ahead of me, but the light has been green so it'll change soon, and she moves into the inside lane. At this point she is directly next to me. As she turns she swings wide and darts (almost) directly into me, and only misses because I lay on the horn and stomp the brakes hard. She was just a huge loving idiot because there wasn't even the excuse of there being more than two lanes you could turn into. There were a few years back, but they put in a divider I would have had to hop.

It was almost as egregious as the moron making a left on red I posted a while ago. When I get it my PC I'll post it because hoo boy.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMxlrr-76us

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 5, 2019

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
a glimmer of hope in a dark, dark world: i went 2 for 2 in "flicking lights at no-lights person " on my commute home. just doing god's work

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

sleepy.eyes posted:

Had a woman fail spectacularly at a dual left turn and almost run me off the road/smash into me.

Yeah that was a close one.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

sleepy.eyes posted:

e: cloudflare

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 5, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

sleepy.eyes posted:

Yeah that was a close one.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

sleepy.eyes posted:

You reacted quickly; nice job!
I had this same thing happen to me last week because the SUV in the inside lane wanted to cut across my lane immediately into a gas station driveway after the turn.

Lord almighty.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The driving instructor coached my daughter on that after her test, she pointed out that these days it's super common for people switch lanes during double turns due to simple carelessness or lack of awareness. So now they teach new drivers to stagger their position during the turn. Basically position yourself in between cars in the next lane during a turn so that if they swap on you they're either in front or behind, not next to you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's been court cases (people trying to get out of paying a ticket) in Illinois about which lane you're supposed to enter in a left turn, and it turns out the law doesn't clearly specify what to do. So while police have ticketed people for drifting into the right lane on a left turn, they probably shouldn't be.

Either way it's a lost cause, 99% of vehicles end up in the rightmost lane on a left turn so there's no point in enforcing it. Society voted for different rules.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Surely it's unsafe lane change at best, and assaulting an officer's club with your noggin at worst.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

There's been court cases (people trying to get out of paying a ticket) in Illinois about which lane you're supposed to enter in a left turn, and it turns out the law doesn't clearly specify what to do. So while police have ticketed people for drifting into the right lane on a left turn, they probably shouldn't be.

Either way it's a lost cause, 99% of vehicles end up in the rightmost lane on a left turn so there's no point in enforcing it. Society voted for different rules.

I'm fine with this for single left turn lanes (or the outside left turn lane if there's two), I do it all the loving time because the entrance for my neighborhood is pretty close to a left turn at the nearest major intersection. I'm at the point where I won't even attempt a right on red if oncoming traffic has a left arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

LloydDobler posted:

The driving instructor coached my daughter on that after her test, she pointed out that these days it's super common for people switch lanes during double turns due to simple carelessness or lack of awareness. So now they teach new drivers to stagger their position during the turn. Basically position yourself in between cars in the next lane during a turn so that if they swap on you they're either in front or behind, not next to you.

For sure, I was just trying to make the light and really didn't expect her to cut in -that- hard.