Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Smiling Demon posted:

There is another way using nothing but thermoregulators, though power inefficient. If a pipe is at 10% capacity or less then even if a state change occurs in the pipe the pipe won't break. If you use valves to force a maximum gas packet size of 100g then you can condense the gas in pipe and it will be fine coming out the vent. Designing such a system is not trivial however.

I imagine you can do the same thing with liquids running through aquatuners - just keep your polluted water at 1kg per packet and you can get it as cold as you like. A little more efficient than using thermo regulators, but still takes literally 20 times as much power as a super coolant setup. And yeah, you'd have to ensure that the whole system never backs up even a single packet or all of your pipes start exploding, so it would be super finicky to design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Has anyone gotten the husbandry skill to actually increase? Does it reset or something? I swear I saw one level up last night, but this morning it's back to 11.

I've got 2 ranchers hugging 8 incubators every day. :shrug:

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Also I gave up on my Volcanea run at the mid-game when I realized how cramped it was with all the magma & hot obsidian everywhere.

Started a new game on Rime. All my dreckos are dead :( I guess I'll have to actually grow some thimble reed and build a plastic press.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
Husbandry does increase, but not often at all. I think I had a 1500+ cycle game where I started ranching at around cycle 50, I think my main rancher got about 2 skill points.

As always the best plan is to produce more food and oxygen, then get more dupes. It doesn't matter what skill they are if you have so many people that the jobs are being completed. Or you can cordon off your ranching section and force the ranchers to hang around, ignoring other jobs.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
On the other hand, Volcanea is my favourite asteroid. :v: You get all the free power you could possibly want as soon as you can build a turbine, and digging poo poo out can pose a challenge at times.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Han Nehi posted:

Also I gave up on my Volcanea run at the mid-game when I realized how cramped it was with all the magma & hot obsidian everywhere.

Started a new game on Rime. All my dreckos are dead :( I guess I'll have to actually grow some thimble reed and build a plastic press.

Volcanea kicked my rear end until I got an exosuit. Then I oil-locked into the side of an obsidian/magma boulder, and dug the whole fucker out with obsidian ladder scaffolding. Since I dug in from a liquid lock, it stayed a vacuum and the dupe took no damage.

Then, once there was 200 tons of molten obsidian and igneous along the bottom of the abyssalite, I made an insulated-tile platform 6 tiles wide, built six storage compactors, and did a sweep-only / eject until the whole boulder was sitting in debris-form on the insulated tiles (all still in vacuum). Then I did one final sweep/store of lead before deconstructing the compactors. I built a layer of diamond window tiles one tile above the debris field and capped the sides with insulated tile.

Using the gold amalgam / oil aquatuner cooling setup, I had spare cooling capacity to keep my base & farms in check (while cooling the two turbines), and I did it without any real industry. The plastic I got from a ghetto refinery/press setup, and no steel in the whole build. I'm at 2200 cycles on that map now :)

After a few cycles the lead melted, and because of the shape all the heat is focused right onto the window tiles. Now I had a generic "hot source" that I could use with door-modulation to run a steam turbine. It stayed at 812 Watts of power for like 300 cycles.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Digging the obsidian out like that sounds great. I did try digging into it to make a petro boiler, but I didn't even think about using vacuum. I ended up flooding a biome with 1000 degree steam. :doh:

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Oh... yeah, you hosed up.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Loving this game and want to start a new map but can't be bothered to spend 10 hours setting up a reliable cold and breathable environment to allow gradual growth for grand projects. Christ do I hate how dupes navigate around the world when I try to do strip mining and trying to set up ladders as scaffolds without people getting stuck.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Cold and breathable bedroom and a few exosuit docks oughtta do it.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Got a drecko from the printer, and just like that I'm back in my comfort zone. Got my 2 ranches going, and 38 dreckos + 40 eggs in the starvation station. Shearing the extras gives way too much resources. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets nerfed in the future.

Also, apparently my dups are better off without me. A few nights back I fell asleep and my colony ran for 30-40 cycles, and it was ... a good thing? I did lose half my hatches when they ran out of sedimentary rock, but otherwise the colony is actually in a better place than before. No dups died, all my systems kept running, all the jobs got done, and all the loose debris on the whole map got moved to storage. Build orders are done really quick now that they're caught up on everything else. I think the lesson is that I need to stop giving so many orders and give them more catch-up time.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I usually save the game and then leave it on overnight after major mining to give the dupes a chance to collect and sort everything. If I return and they're dead I reload the save but they've been fine so far.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Eschenique posted:

I usually save the game and then leave it on overnight after major mining to give the dupes a chance to collect and sort everything. If I return and they're dead I reload the save but they've been fine so far.

I'm probably gonna have to do that to generate all the Iiquid hydrogen i need to get through the tear.

Too lazy to expand rooms to increase hydrogen production rate.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I think liquid nitrogen was when I gave up on this game. I built a bunch of those... SPROMS? The things that generate infinite cold oxygen and also some water. I looked up the rat-trap levels of machinery people used to make liquid nitrogen and I sort of lost interest. I'm not clever enough for this game.

I need a game where a rare fuel is made by grinding for rare materials instead. Not space brain cooling machines that explode if you bend a pipe one pixel too soon because it got a micro heat leak.

I also had a problem that my space bridge was melting. Asteroids were pulverizing the entire surface and was now something like 1 screen deep into the planet and I build those heat resistant steel beams to cover the whole planet. But hot debri piled up on them and they became so hot that any technical equipment just melted. Even when made out of rare and resistant materials.

It feels like heat management is the sort of thing you don't realize that you hosed up until 700 cycles after the fact.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nah, that's kinda what the surface is all about. You gotta design for it. It wasn't exactly my favorite part.I had a few layers, there were bunkers at the top, spaced out automated doors with space scanners on top, autominers on the bottom which had complete coverage over a row of mesh tiles below them. When a meteor swarm would start, I'd close the bunkers, and when it ended, the regolith would fall onto the mesh tiles, except where there were automated doors, which I had programmed to open for 5 seconds or so afterward so they would drop their regolith also. It would result in the auto-miners overheating eventually, so I slowly replaced them with thermium as I collected the materials for it.

For me, liquid oxygen at least was real easy once I had super-coolant. I just made a mini version of the same sort of cooling loop I had for my base and boom, it just works and you get liquid oxygen. I didn't actually do liquid hydrogen but it has a nearly identical solution. I kinda felt like I had won at that point, started a new game rather than grinding out space exploration until I reached the tear, but it was actually kinda disappointingly simple once I had super-coolant to work with. Liquid Oxygen you can earlier though it sounds like a huge pain without coolant.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
LOx is annoying without coolant but it isn't that complicated. You just use hydrogen gas instead, and you put thermo sensors on the cooling pipes so you don't liquefy the hydrogen by accident. If anything, I ran into more trouble getting the oxygen to the rocket than I did making it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I guess if you get the hydrogen another 80 degrees colder or whatever, the heat transfer wouldn't be *that* slow. I built my cooler under my rocket right there in space fwiw, didn't have an issue getting it there.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
Ahh. 1000 cycles.

Methinks she got injected with too much brain.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
The same issue that makes heat control in space difficult also makes producing liquid hydrogen and oxygen relatively easy once you make a plan for it. If there's no atmosphere, or other medium of heat exchange, around your cooling chamber, once you get metal tiles to -250C or whatever, it will stay that temperature until something forces it to change.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

The next update has a few new recreational buildings:

Sauna
Mechanical Surfboard
Hot Tub
Soda Fountain
Beach Chair

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/113513-meeps-mandatory-recreation-content-pack-available-for-testing-379337/

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
One of the joy reactions is "Sticker Bomber", so I guess expect to see a lot of this all over your base:

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

quote:

Steam turbines correctly obtain boost from Engie's Tune-up

:eyepop:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
There’s a ton of very small but good notes in there, sounds great.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
This is excellent news for those of us who like to make a lovely doll's house to keep our dupes happy to compensate for occasionally forcing them into magma.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I am so loving addicted to this game oh my God. I woke up yesterday thinking about base design and water reclamation. :spergin:

Been having problems doing things the real life way instead of the ONI way. I was avoiding the slime biome for the longest time as a total biohazard until I watched a Francis John video that was like "whatever, just dig all of it out at once, spam deodorizers and let the slime fall in the water and you'll be fine."

Also have the requisite tangle of pipes, vents, and wires. My base is actually doing very well but I'm going to reroll so I don't have to untangle it.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

This time around I'm just stashing my slime in the cold biome and letting it refrigerate. It goes germ-free in a few cycles.

Also I wanna know who at Klei decided hand sanitizers should be artificial (presumably) licking tongues, because that is .... that is certainly a choice.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Mechanical Ape posted:

This time around I'm just stashing my slime in the cold biome and letting it refrigerate. It goes germ-free in a few cycles.

Also I wanna know who at Klei decided hand sanitizers should be artificial (presumably) licking tongues, because that is .... that is certainly a choice.

Maybe dupes have cat DNA and it's soothing?

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

That would explain a lot of their behavior.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I've been using element sensors with shutoffs as filters, but for whatever reason it loves adding an extra packet of the poo poo it's supposed to filter out.

I guess the key is to have the loop moving? It tends to do the most when the system gets backed up.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

skooma512 posted:

I've been using element sensors with shutoffs as filters, but for whatever reason it loves adding an extra packet of the poo poo it's supposed to filter out.

I guess the key is to have the loop moving? It tends to do the most when the system gets backed up.
Yeah it guarantees nothing but the filtered element goes out of the shutoff, but does not guarantee that the filtered element does not also go out the non-shutoff side. It will do so whenever it backs up. I'm not sure if there is a generalized way to fix that with a loopback but as long as the shutoff side doesn't saturate, it's fine.

It's a little weird - I kinda wish the trick either didn't work or filters themselves were less power hungry. Making "filter" cost 120w and "good-enough but more annoying filter" cost 10w is a bit of a perverse incentive, and feels unintended. Even just admitting they have a problem and making a 10w "overflowing filter" that costs some refined metal would be an improvement. (It'd be a bargain at 60w frankly.)

(You can also filter for 0w with a valve by using the fact that each pipe packet can only contain one compound, but it's fiddly and takes up a good bit of space.)

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

skooma512 posted:

You can make a fail safe version, but it requires 2 sensors and 2 shutoffs in a loop. See https://www.reddit.com/r/Oxygennotincluded/comments/984pt9/robust_pipe_filter_or_how_i_learned_to_love_loops/.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Using sensors and shutoffs should only gently caress up with little packets if you get backed up. So in cases where you can't guarantee it won't backup, you should use the 120w filter

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Thanks for that schematic. It's gotten my flow back on track.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

I tried playing the early game with no toilets and no sinks, and this happened:

It actually didn't go as bad as I expected. Mostly it was annoying having the liquid everywhere it shouldn't be. I didn't even have any food poisoning until I started using the microbe musher.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Musher seems pretty situational. I just have them eat raw meal lice and beeline to grilling and skip MM altogether. Less food poisoning that way.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
The musher is a trap choice, trying to trick you into wasting stupid amounts of water terrible, germy food, for minimal calorie gain. Only use it if the alternative is literally starving to death. Like you said, raw lice is good enough until you can get better stuff going. I tend to beeline ranching and start breeding hatches for meat asap.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

If you're on a map with swamp biomes and you start with a decent digger, it's even possible to skip meal lice and gun it straight for mushrooms. Could probably also do the same with bristle blossoms, but they're less ideal.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Liceloaf is perfectly fine for my colony during the period before I can get my berry farms running. I don't manage many dupes during this period so it's not like the inefficiency has much of an impact.

Once the berries start harvesting then I put the MM away, though later I'll sometimes warm it up for Berry Sludge.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Han Nehi posted:

I tried playing the early game with no toilets and no sinks, and this happened:

It actually didn't go as bad as I expected. Mostly it was annoying having the liquid everywhere it shouldn't be. I didn't even have any food poisoning until I started using the microbe musher.

Can i get a fukkin uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh....Long Piss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I just really hate any food source that requires fresh water, especially early game I think it's a trap choice for newbies. Sorta hate berries for the same reason. 120kg of water for 2000 calories in cooked berries, oof. Using raw lice / hatches / shrooms (to a lesser extent) takes resources that you have in abundance, feeding a starter colony with water based foods immediately puts you on a timer to secure new water sources, which isn't always easy, and that time could be better spent on other things, IMO.

The last base I had, the only startup freshwater usage I had (besides science) was an initial slug to fill up my hygiene system, recyled via sieve, since germy freshwater is somehow fine for hygiene. Was net positive, eventually had to start dumping excess polluted water in a tank. I don't think I even thought about running out of freshwater until cycle 80 or something.

Definitely play the game however is fun for you, but consider trying a freshwater light start if you haven't before.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 13, 2019