Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I was reading the Changeling the Dreaming core last night and I have an important question: what's the point of a game of changeling

Give the obnoxious theater kids who wear capes to school something to do to make them feel less like the turbo dorks they are?

Dreaming sucks so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I was reading the Changeling the Dreaming core last night and I have an important question: what's the point of a game of changeling

That's a drat good question. The book is all over the place with itself regarding what the major theme is.

What the Storyteller in my group did was set the main theme to America being invaded by Feudalists (the Sidhe who got kicked out of Arcadia) who wanted to round up all the Commoners and enforce serfdom. It was good enough for us. We had a casus belli, good bad guys, interesting questions (how do you deal with Banality during a war) and the eventual release of War in Concordia sort of backed our play of running with a Cold War/Hot War that was hidden from the mundanes. Then because our Storyteller liked them, we also had to deal with/work around Technocrats like indiscriminate HIT MARKs.

Jerik
Jun 24, 2019

I don't know what to write here.
So, I've got a story about Changeling: the Dreaming. Two years ago, a friend and I arranged a meeting with a White Wolf representative at Gen Con to pitch a concept for a Changeling: the Dreaming CRPG. We put together a forty-plus-page pitch document, including a detailed description of the plot for the single-player campaign, which... I guess I'm still actually sort of proud of? The main plot ended up mostly being centered on a threat from the Deep Dreaming rather than just fighting Banality in the "Autumn World", and the Changeling noble houses didn't really figure into it at all.

Anyway, the meeting went well, and they seemed interested, but the project didn't go anywhere because we absolutely did not have the means or resources to put together any sort of demo or proof of concept, and we were in way over our heads and had no business trying to pitch a CRPG in the first place and I'm not sure what we expected to happen. The end.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

...I missed that this thread got moved over and I guess just assumed the WoD thread was unusually quiet/dead.

Which means I missed a chance to say how much I appreciated Dave B's run as developer on Mage: The Awakening; I can't wait to read Signs of Sorcery (which I am in fact waiting to read since my current chronicle is in its climactic stages and doesn't need an injection of new mechanics and ideas right now, or the plot will never resolve).

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The only good thing Dreaming ever did was allow me to play a roach pooka that pretty much directly ripped of The Mad Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight from the Tick cartoon in AOL chatrooms.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I ran a fun two-session game of CtD in high school, but it basically had nothing to do with the heavier themes of loss of naiveteinnocence or the death of imagination or whatever. It was just a big fantasy romp, but also part of it started with being normal humans investigating things in a modern town.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
In theory, oChangeling is a small-scale American Gods. In practice, oChangeling is Furcon.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That Old Tree posted:

I ran a fun two-session game of CtD in high school, but it basically had nothing to do with the heavier themes of loss of naiveteinnocence or the death of imagination or whatever. It was just a big fantasy romp, but also part of it started with being normal humans investigating things in a modern town.

Yeah. When I ran it and played it was pretty much just... well, Urban Fantasy. Although even then we tossed the 'science is Banal' nonsense out. (Happily so did C20.)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It lacks a compelling theme, which is sort of it's compelling theme. There really is no place for Changelings in the modern world. They posit this is because there is something wrong with the world, but the issue is more the world moved on. You can't really pretend Glamour is an issue in a world where the moon landing and 9/11 completely reshaped the Dreaming back to back [At least on a historical time-scale]. We aren't witnessing the end of the Dreaming, we are most witnessing the end of the Arcadian Dream, which is only an issue because the setting is largely told from the perspective *of* Arcadian Dreams.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I mean, the "pre-modern" world that Dreaming harkens back to never existed. It lives inside a Renn faire.

Real medieval folks generally viewed fairies the same way a modern UFO-believing person might view alien abductions.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
And what a waste that was. I’ve vented my spleen before about the moronic decision to go with a generic feudal structure while trying to be as Celtic as gently caress. The far more flexible models of Welsh and Irish chieftaincies and aristocracy are right there and work way better for the games own themes!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Loomer posted:

And what a waste that was. I’ve vented my spleen before about the moronic decision to go with a generic feudal structure while trying to be as Celtic as gently caress. The far more flexible models of Welsh and Irish chieftaincies and aristocracy are right there and work way better for the games own themes!

Honestly, modern fae as a bunch of street gangs stealing resources from each other led by braggarts who bring prosperity by virtue of being loud, pretty and aggressive is a pretty compelling angle.

'cause, I mean, that's pretty much the Irish petty king model in the modern age.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Octavo posted:

She wrote a really great followup that shows just how her team managed to make the best Disciplines in Vampire. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/280672/BLOODY-DOTS-The-Writers-Guide-to-Disciplines

Hey FYI both these books are on Halloween Sale, I'm buying them, were there any others released?

edit- aside from the bibles from the guide to rome and the strix, anything from mage or demon? I'm looking through the site.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My only real interaction with Changeling players were people who took the game way too seriously and thought they were actually faerie souls incarnated in human bodies.

They also posted in character everywhere on the damned forum, and acted like startled ren-faire actors whenever the rest of us didn't want to play along. Like seriously if you don't want people to pile onto you maybe don't barge into a discussion about why the Baali are terrible and start handing out glamour cookies.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Hey FYI both these books are on Halloween Sale, I'm buying them, were there any others released?

edit- aside from the bibles from the guide to rome and the strix, anything from mage or demon? I'm looking through the site.

Nah this stuff is just Rose providing her guidance after stepping down from being dev. There's no official plan behind it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I haven't posted in here in a while but back when I got into the series' lore I wrote down a lot of recs but I missed one...I think.

I was really interested in vampire cults and religions and that kinda thing. I got State of Grace but I could swear there was a new book that actually was supposed to come out or hell maybe it's come out by now. It has been several months.

Does anyone here know it? Or maybe I'm just remembering wrong.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Mors Rattus posted:

Honestly, modern fae as a bunch of street gangs stealing resources from each other led by braggarts who bring prosperity by virtue of being loud, pretty and aggressive is a pretty compelling angle.

'cause, I mean, that's pretty much the Irish petty king model in the modern age.

And when you want something more legalistic, the Welsh system of citizenship and status is right there to slide on in. But nah, let's just go with generic feudal fairytale.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

from RPGnet posted:

The latest Mage 20th Kickstarter update:

"RichT here:

I was going to wait for the links for the M20 Book of the Fallen Backer PDF to post this Update, but that is still with WW/Paradox and we're waiting for approvals.

So, since we should be getting those links out soon, here's another opportunity to stress that Book of the Fallen contains Satyr Phil's real and hard-won understanding of our real-world's evils, and how that applies to M20 and the World of Darkness. I'll be putting a warning on the posts for the links themselves, but again, please bear the nature of the book in mind before you download the Backer PDF. "

Oh boy, after the corebook warned us that you for real will psychologically damage yourself playing them, I hope we get some good hard-won understanding of the splatterpunk rapists that will guaranteed be in this book full of rules for playing them.

I can't wait to hear about the chapter fiction.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
loving phil.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Loomer posted:

And when you want something more legalistic, the Welsh system of citizenship and status is right there to slide on in. But nah, let's just go with generic feudal fairytale.

I mean, Ireland's plenty legalistic, it's just laws that let you do plenty of violence and theft as long as everyone knows you're doing it and you shout about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

quote:

here's another opportunity to stress that Book of the Fallen contains Satyr Phil's real and hard-won understanding of our real-world's evils

Forsooth and hey nonny nonny. I didn't know they were going to try and re-do Destiny's Price or something.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Mors Rattus posted:

I mean, Ireland's plenty legalistic, it's just laws that let you do plenty of violence and theft as long as everyone knows you're doing it and you shout about it.

Look I just want an excuse to turn up with my two-volume edition of Welsh Tribal Law and Custom and get some use out of it okay

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

That Old Tree posted:

Nah this stuff is just Rose providing her guidance after stepping down from being dev. There's no official plan behind it.

Where do you think I got the text of all those Awakening 2e dev blogs from? They were almost all lifted and adapted from Awakening's bible.

I have considered putting it up. Putting Deviant's up would be gauche, as it's basically my outline for the book.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I really hope Mummy 2 makes it so your particular Mummy Gang actually gives you some powers beyond one trick one and some slight flavor.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Where do you think I got the text of all those Awakening 2e dev blogs from? They were almost all lifted and adapted from Awakening's bible.

I have considered putting it up. Putting Deviant's up would be gauche, as it's basically my outline for the book.
Once the book's out if you put up Deviant I can guarantee you at least one sale, because I cannot get enough of the game already.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I really hope you post the Awakening bible for sale. I'd buy it and I'm sure a lot of other folks would too!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

Oh boy, after the corebook warned us that you for real will psychologically damage yourself playing them, I hope we get some good hard-won understanding of the splatterpunk rapists that will guaranteed be in this book full of rules for playing them.

I can't wait to hear about the chapter fiction.

Why do they continue letting this man write books.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I imagine they considered what he'd do with his free time if he wasn't writing the book and called it the lesser of two evils.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, how many top Mage people are there? If the other two devs were busy there might be nobody else, especially since a lot of them would probably want to seriously alter the setting.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, how many top Mage people are there? If the other two devs were busy there might be nobody else, especially since a lot of them would probably want to seriously alter the setting.

It's not like Satyros hasn't seriously altered the setting. (mid to late revised edition forever!!!). But Bill has his own stuff going on, and Jesse has a real job in pc games.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Rand Brittain posted:

I think the only person who could coherently reboot Ascension while remaining true to its (messy, contradictory) themes would be Malcolm Sheppard.

The 1e dev, Stew Weick, passed away.
The revised dev, Jesse Heinig, is still pretty bitter over the fan backlash and now happily works over on Star Trek Online.
Howard Ingham has the right attitude toward the game, but very much doesn't do RPG writing anymore.
Ryan Macklin did an incredible job with the revised convention books, but that team has broken up, and he's expressed no desire to work for Onyx Path at such low rates again.
DaveB understands the problems with the Ascension setting and clearly knows how to fix games named Mage, but I'm pretty sure he's busy with writing a game he can own.
Malcolm Sheppard is the only Mage dev who still believes that the Traditions were right to fight against the technocratic fascists, and he's already played around with rebooting the setting by changing the Traditions membership (via his Mage: the Dirty Version posts eons ago.)

Come to think of it, there's one other person who might manage Mage, and that's Ian Watson, who is working on Mage: the Victorian Age. I'll be curious to see how that book turns out.

Octavo fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 31, 2019

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Sometimes things should just end if it isn't worth paying anyone to do them. :unsmith:

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Sometimes things should just end if it isn't worth paying anyone to do them. :unsmith:

Agreed

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I just meant that it wasn't OPP going "let's release our setting Bibles."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Octavo posted:

Mage: the Dirty Version
... What's this?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Octavo posted:

I think the only person who could coherently reboot Ascension while remaining true to its (messy, contradictory) themes would be Malcolm Sheppard.

The 1e dev, Stew Weick, passed away.
The revised dev, Jesse Heinig, is still pretty bitter over the fan backlash and now happily works over on Star Trek Online.
Howard Ingham has the right attitude toward the game, but very much doesn't do RPG writing anymore.
Ryan Macklin did an incredible job with the revised convention books, but that team has broken up, and he's expressed no desire to work for Onyx Path at such low rates again.
DaveB understands the problems with the Ascension setting and clearly knows how to fix games named Mage, but I'm pretty sure he's busy with writing a game he can own.
Malcolm Sheppard is the only Mage dev who still believes that the Traditions were right to fight against the technocratic fascists, and he's already played around with rebooting the setting by changing the Traditions membership (via his Mage: the Dirty Version posts eons ago.)

Come to think of it, there's one other person who might manage Mage, and that's Ian Watson, who is working on Mage: the Victorian Age. I'll be curious to see how that book turns out.

I just realized how little I know about the Wieck brothers, despite how important they are to early White Wolf.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Zereth posted:

... What's this?

I don't think all the posts are still available anymore, but Malcolm Sheppard's livejournal has a few entries: https://mobunited.livejournal.com/?skip=10&tag=mage:%20the%20dirty%20version
My favorite post dissecting Ascension is this one: https://mobunited.livejournal.com/58878.html

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Octavo posted:

The Revised Convention books are really good (save Iteration X, which came out when the Mage Revised line was originally going on). The Syndicate book has one of my favorite pregens ever.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Are you saying we should not let the very weird man who probably spells magic with K unironically, a chance to write more silly books about urban wizards (but not the bad ones lest we become possessed by their evil)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

joylessdivision posted:

Are you saying we should not let the very weird man who probably spells magic with K unironically, a chance to write more silly books about urban wizards (but not the bad ones lest we become possessed by their evil)?

It is more that it is a shame they can't get anyone I would like more to do it.