Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Honestly, this team isn't the worst that you could have for the scenario. Cragheart doesn't really care that much about elements -- earth is helpful but not really required for anything vital -- and Splinter mostly uses elements for secondary effects rather than the heavy lifting with her damage. And as already mentioned, Pikachu and Ash don't give any fucks at all about elements. It's not like we have any of the classes which actually rely on having consistent element access to really shine. Also note that Sun and Night elements are diametrically opposed, which means the Sun and Night Demons have cards in their decks which will consume the opposite element to hurt themselves in some ways (all of the demons have cards like that). So, it's not all bad.

The boss is a gigantic rear end in a top hat, though. Now that his specials are revealed you can see that burst damage is key for him, so having the Beast Tyrant along is a good thing. My group never had a really good burst damage class along for the ride so we had to chip the boss down over a long period of time which dramatically increases your exposure to his bullshit specials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Kobal2 posted:

The reason I'd like E3 is because unless Some Bullshit happens I don't plan on moving at all ; and that's the only hex from which I can work my best Not Some Bullshit Happening plan. Which *should* prevent my taking any hits and limit the need for you to tank unless there's some other bullshit I've forgotten about.

Yeah, that's fine. I've got things I can do if I'm not tanking, too. Defer to your Not Some Bullshit plan.

...but drat, this looks awful.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Omobono posted:

I'm assuming Sun and Eclipse can consume light/dark more or less on demand? Because I think the constant elemental infusion is going to be the straw on the camel's back.
I don't know Eclipse yet, but it'd be my guess. :)

Sun Yes, kind of? You do have a lot of ways to use it, at least as many ways as a Cragheart can use Earth. You can't quite do it on demand, unless you get your solo scenario item, in which case, yay. You also have one card that consumes Dark, but it's merely workable, not awesome. Problem is, you're making a lot of Sun, too, so it's double-edged. Sun is one of my top choices to bring around to this, and frankly almost any scenario.

One bright point here is that each monster here has 1 card which will debuff them if the opposite element is present on the board. It's not nearly as big a debuff as their own element is a buff, but it's a thing that will probably happen once or twice.

quote:

In addition, on-demand, no prerequisites invisibility doesn't belong to enemies, let alone bosses. Some mechanics should be accessible only to players.
There's one class which deals with invisibility really, really nicely Angry Face. Cragheart is good to have along, because splash damage and rockfall damage doesn't care if you're invisible. That's cold comfort against the boss's HP, but should wreck night demons pretty well.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 29, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

dwarf74 posted:

Cragheart is good to have along, because splash damage and rockfall damage doesn't care if you're invisible. That's cold comfort against the boss's HP, but should wreck night demons pretty well.

Rock Slide and all the other "splash" damage cards do work against invisible enemies, but Clear the Way and Explosive Punch won't, cause they have the keyword "target" and you can't target Invisible enemies. Same reason AoE template cards will also fail to work against Invisibility (one of the rare "fluff is inconsistent with the rules" for GH, since an Invisible creature is somehow immune to poison gas or massive explosions).

From the FAQ:

Monsters can't focus on invisible characters, move through them (unless flying or jumping), or target them with any attacks or other targeted abilities (an ability like "CURSE, target all enemies within range," for instance, wouldn't affect the invisible character even if he/she were in range). Monsters essentially treat invisible characters like obstacles, but may occasionally affect them with non-target effects (such as splash damage).

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
I concur with Zurai. The worst part of the element rule here (before the boss anyway) is that you can't use any of your Earth or Frost consumers. So for Splinter, that's one less stun ability, and for Rocky that's mostly a little less damage/XP. The demons will be annoying but they were going to do that anyway.

Keep in mind that the Sun Demons fly, so any trap shenanigans will have to be done to the Night Demons.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

As a heads up, I'm going to be ENTIRELY out of pocket all of this coming Monday, and a good part of Tuesday as well. Assuming I'm coherent enough to get online Tuesday, I'll submit orders then. If y'all don't want to wait I'm fine with the thread voting for the cragheart's moves for a day or two.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
We did this scenario with Sun and Angry Face and it's the best possible combo for this scenario.

That Italian Guy posted:

I think Marcel's Scenarios are universally considered worse than Isaac's ones (see the expansion).

Marcel's end up being fiddlier but Isaac did the worst scenario in the game and there's one from Somers that has one concentrated piece of bullshit that we dropped a house rule on almost immediately.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
The few characters that really rely on elements should have friends who can supply it. For example, if the Tyrant goes first and puts out Earth, Rocky could consume it later in the same round.

It just means you may want to adjust your decks a bit so cards that aren't useful without elements aren't in them.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
One of our players has not provided an answer to the second PM yet, so let's wait a bit :) I'll update asap.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Sorry about that, had a big exam yesterday and forgot about the orders. I'll get my response in asap.

For first round orders, if Rocky can get an obstacle down in C6 before the elite night demon moves, that would funnel it through the poison/immobilize trap and give us some more time to deal with the front two elementals.

Reik fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 30, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Narsham posted:

The few characters that really rely on elements should have friends who can supply it. For example, if the Tyrant goes first and puts out Earth, Rocky could consume it later in the same round.

It just means you may want to adjust your decks a bit so cards that aren't useful without elements aren't in them.
This Tyrant's one active-pool card that creates Earth is a Loss card. It's not a bad one for this scenario, tbh, but would almost certainly be saved for the boss.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

This Tyrant's one active-pool card that creates Earth is a Loss card. It's not a bad one for this scenario, tbh, but would almost certainly be saved for the boss.

Yeah, when we get a turn of the boss not being invisible we're gonna have to capitalize on it, and a bottom attack 8 with concentrated rage seems like just the thing.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Reik posted:

Yeah, when we get a turn of the boss not being invisible we're gonna have to capitalize on it, and a bottom attack 8 with concentrated rage seems like just the thing.
--boss proceeds to turn Invisible and Heal 5 Self while summoning demons on loop, repeat forever--

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

dwarf74 posted:

--boss proceeds to turn Invisible and Heal 5 Self while summoning demons on loop, repeat forever--

That loop is not *that* bad, because Special 1 is pretty slow (73+) while Special 2 is really fast (17 max) ; so the boss cloaks at end of round then immediately uncloaks next round making his invisibility more or less a non-factor. Running Special 1s are a lot more aggravating. Ask me how I know.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Waiting for clarifications from 2 players, update today asap :)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Temple of the Eclipse, Round 1A

Pending actions from last Round posted:

- Master Splinter's hand changes: Remove Frigid Apparition, Parasitic Influence, Feedback Loop; Add Fearsome Blade, Gnawing Horde, Empathetic Assault.
- Rocky's hand changes: Remove Nature's Lift and Crater; Add Crushing Grasp and Opposing Strike.
- Pikachu's hand changes: Remove Howling Bolts and Disorienting Roar; Add in Venomous Ally and Focused Aggression.

These are the Battle Goals randomly selected for Scenario 81 (those marked with a "*" are BGs from the regular list):
- Layabout*: Gain 7 or fewer experience scenario. points during the Rewards:✓✓
- Hesitant: Never go first in a round's initiative. Rewards:✓
- Sadist*: Kill five or more monsters during the scenario. Rewards:✓
- Contagious: "While afflicted by a negative condition, apply any negative condition to a monster." Rewards:✓
- Elitist: Kill only elite monsters. Rewards:✓
- Specialized: Don't use any basic actions. Rewards:✓

ROUND REVEAL posted:

"PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green. Available items are also shown there."

Master Splinter (Hand10, Discarded0, Active0, Lost0) is acting at initiative 8 with Perverse Edge and Hostile Takeover.

8. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Kobal2) posted:

code:
"PERVERSE EDGE (08) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3 - Add +2ATK and gain XP1 for each negative condition on the target - LOSS
BOT: ATK1, Range(3) - STUN - Generate ICE - XP1"

"HOSTILE TAKEOVER (09) [Lvl2]
TOP: ATK2, Range 4 - IMMOBILIZE - Generate ICE - 1XP
BOT: Round Bonus: Force one normal or elite enemy within Range 3 to perform its turn this Round as if it's allies were enemies and its enemies were allies - 2XP - LOSS"
Rocky (Hand11, Discarded0, Active0, Lost0) is acting at initiative 29 with Rumbling Advance and Opposing Strike.

29. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (FairGame) posted:

code:
"RUMBLING ADVANCE (29) [Lvl1]
TOP: HEAL4, Range2 - Generate EARTH
BOT: MOVE2 - All adjacent allies and enemies suffer 1 damage - Generate EARTH"

"OPPOSING STRIKE (46) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, PBAOE (check image) - XP1
BOT: Permanent Bonus - On the next six melee attacks targeting you, gain RETALIATE2 - Gain XP1 on 2nd, 4th and 6th trigger - LOSS"
Pikachu the Vermling Beast Tyrant (Hand10, Discarded0, Active0, Lost0) is acting at initiative 29 with Energizing Strike and Venomous Ally.

29. Pikachu the Vermling Beast Tyrant (Reik) posted:

code:
"ENERGIZING STRIKE (29) [Lvl2]
TOP: COMMAND - ATK4 - STRENGTHEN, Self - XP1
BOT: HEAL1, affect all Allies."

"VENOMOUS ALLY (79) [Lvl1]
TOP: Persistent Bonus: Summon Tattered Wolf (HP4, MOVE2, ATK1, POISON) - XP2 - LOSS
BOT: ATK2, Range4 - POISON"
During this phase, players are free to discuss everything itt, including in depth round breakdown, tactics, and so on; you can use specific card names and numerical values since everything has been revealed already. Everyone itt is also encouraged to take part in the discussion (although the last word is, ofc, reserved for the active players. Be nice! :) Active players, please discuss your ideas itt and provide your final orders via PM/Email!

DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: TONIGHT, 3AM EST
:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 31, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
If it goes like I think it will go, you guys are off to a great start. Great card choices this round, Splinter.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Yeah, not an awful first round. If nobody moves to C4/D5 then the normal Sun Demon won't attack.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Have we seen the Battle Goals yet, btw?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Have we seen the Battle Goals yet, btw?

Good call!

These are the Battle Goals randomly selected for Scenario 81 (those marked with a "*" are BGs from the regular list):
- Layabout*: Gain 7 or fewer experience scenario. points during the Rewards:✓✓
- Hesitant: Never go first in a round's initiative. Rewards:✓
- Sadist*: Kill five or more monsters during the scenario. Rewards:✓
- Contagious: "While afflicted by a negative condition, apply any negative condition to a monster." Rewards:✓
- Elitist: Kill only elite monsters. Rewards:✓
- Specialized: Don't use any basic actions. Rewards:✓

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh man I hope Rocky got Hesitant.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Alright, seems pretty obvious that Splinter is going to STUN the elite sun demon and immobilize the normal night demon.

So I think all I want to do is heal, and then trot on over to D4 with a generic move2 bottom. That'll get me able to tank in future rounds (though I won't have my retaliate up unless I use my stamina potion.)

Thoughts?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
:munch: This should be fun.

I think my group was Spellweaver/Triforce/something when we played through this scenario and it was a pain in the rear end, but it worked much better than you might think.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

FairGame posted:

Alright, seems pretty obvious that Splinter is going to STUN the elite sun demon and immobilize the normal night demon.

So I think all I want to do is heal, and then trot on over to D4 with a generic move2 bottom. That'll get me able to tank in future rounds (though I won't have my retaliate up unless I use my stamina potion.)

Thoughts?

That sounds fine to me, I don't know if the retaliate will be worth losing a card this scenario anyways.

I'm just gonna try and take out the night demon with the attack 2 and energizing strike and hopefully tag the sun demon with poison to help get through that shield. Between the attack 2 from splinter and attacks 2 and 4 from Ash, I feel like we've got a good shot taking it out without using the bottom attack.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

This is all very new and weird to me. All I've played in my local campaign is the mindthief, and suddenly having this giant beefy dude who can move really far and hit multiple things is weird. But oh my god is it ever slow.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

FairGame posted:

Yup. And now you see the reason for the flex positioning : I wanted to be able to stun either of them depending on what they did.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Temple of the Eclipse, Round 1B

Pending actions from last Round posted:

- Scenario Special Rule: all elements are now inert, LIGHT and DARK are now strong.

8. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Kobal2) posted:

- Master Splinter uses Hostile Takeover (top)! Attacks Night Demon 2 with DISADVANTAGE for 2 (2base, +1/+1mod) damage! Gains 1XP.
Night Demon 2 is at 3 HP and is IMMOBILIZED!
- Master Splinter uses Perverse Edge (bot)! Attacks Sun Demon 5(E) for 1 (1base, x2mod, SHIELD1) damage! Gains 1XP.
Sun Demon 5 (E) is at 12 HP and is STUNNED!
ICE is now strong.

15. Night Demons posted:

- Night Demon 3 (E) focuses Master Splinter! Moves3 to C6. Sun Demon 5(E) suffers 1 splash damage.
Sun Demon 5 (E) is at 11 HP and is STUNNED!
- Night Demon 2 loses IMMOBILIZED token.

In thi case, it doesn't really matter what element gets consumed, as at the start of the next Round we're going back to the same situation anyway.

29. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (FairGame) posted:

- Rocky uses Opposing Strike (bot as a basic MOVE2)! Moves2 to D4.
- Rocky uses Rumbling Advance (top)! HEAL4, Self!
Rocky is at 16 HP.
- EARTH is now strong.

29. Pikachu the Vermling Beast Tyrant (Reik) posted:

- Ash the Bear focuses Night Demon 2! Moves1 to C3. Attacks Night Demon 2 with DISADVANTAGE for 2 (2base, +0/+1mod) damage!
Night Demon 2 is at 1 HP
- Pikachu the Vermling Beast Tyrant uses Energizing Strike (top)! COMMANDS Ash to Attack Night Demon 2 with DISADVANTAGE for 4 (4base, +0/+0mod) damage! Gains 1XP. Ash is STRENGTHENED.
Night Demon 2 is killed!
- Pikachu the Vermling Beast Tyrant uses Venomous Ally (bot)! Attacks Sun Demon 5(E) for 1 (2base, +0mod, SHIELD1) damage!
Sun Demon 5(E) is at 10 HP and is STUNNED and POISONED!

50. Sun Demons posted:

- Sun Demon 5(E) loses STUNNED token.
- Sun Demon 6 focuses Rocky! Flies2 to B7.

Please if you'd rather have the normal Sun Demon move to a different hex!

END OF ROUND ACTIONS posted:

- Scenario Special Rule: all elements are now inert, LIGHT and DARK are now strong.
- Master Splinter's deck is shuffled!

Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves.
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

If I can move early enough (cragheart :mad:) I can hit all three of those jerks REALLY hard. Given that there are two elites in that pack, now seems like a good time for me to bust out some of my best tricks.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FairGame posted:

If I can move early enough (cragheart :mad:) I can hit all three of those jerks REALLY hard. Given that there are two elites in that pack, now seems like a good time for me to bust out some of my best tricks.
As a general rule, night demons will go before a cragheart. :)

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Given the boss's specials, I feel like this scenario is going to be an endurance race. It makes me want to not spend losses this early if we can avoid it.

If Splinter and Ash can both outspeed the Night Demon, we can block them in while we take out the Sun Demon this round. The normal Sun Demon only has a base 2 attack, so they're not that big of a threat. With boots of speed on Pikachu, I think we can do it.

Reik fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 1, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

dwarf74 posted:

As a general rule, night demons will go before a cragheart. :)

Disappointing.

Rules question: how does enemy targeting work if there's a summon? I know tie goes to lowest initiative, but does that apply to the bear as well? Meaning if Pikachu/Ash have initiative 50 and Rocky has initiative 60, the demons would go after Ash because Pikachu's initiative breaks the tie for the summon?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

FairGame posted:

Disappointing.

Rules question: how does enemy targeting work if there's a summon? I know tie goes to lowest initiative, but does that apply to the bear as well? Meaning if Pikachu/Ash have initiative 50 and Rocky has initiative 60, the demons would go after Ash because Pikachu's initiative breaks the tie for the summon?

The Bear would have initiative 50 and act before Pikachu, so it would get targeted before him all other things being equal.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Alright, then my plan is to go somewhat slowly since I probably can't beat things to the punch.

I would appreciate if allied units stayed out of C4. Since Ash will go there if he gets to move first, can the beast tyrant move kinda slowly? If you have a better plan, so be it. I still have something useful to do if an ally is occupying c4 at the time Rocky gets to move.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FairGame posted:

Disappointing.
I mean it's not a sure thing, but Night Demons tend to be extremely fast, and Craghearts are ... not.

Sun demons are usually pretty slow, though. But they have very high variability, so again, it's not a sure thing.

quote:

Initiative only enters into it once all other factors are considered, but monsters will target Summons before they target the Summoner if it needs a tie-breaker.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I was mostly trying to figure out if I'd get focused instead of Ash, not Ash vs. Pikachu. But it's fine. I'll get used to not moving at RATSPEED and do something useful this turn!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I don't really have a viable plan this turn besides "go as fast as possible and try and kill the elite Sun Demon with 3 strengthened attacks plus poison". Do you have some ranged attacks you could use?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Reik posted:

I don't really have a viable plan this turn besides "go as fast as possible and try and kill the elite Sun Demon with 3 strengthened attacks plus poison". Do you have some ranged attacks you could use?

I can do both melee OR ranged. I feel like my plan works better if there's an enemy in C4, but I'm flexible.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Reik posted:

Remember the Strengthen only lasts until the end of the bear's own turn, so before any Commands Pikachu will use.

I learned this unfortunate fact last adventure after having a Tyrant in our home game for a dozen+ sessions doing it wrong.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Remember the Strengthen only lasts until the end of the bear's own turn, so before any Commands Pikachu will use.

I learned this unfortunate fact last adventure after having a Tyrant in our home game for a dozen+ sessions doing it wrong.

Right, that's a bummer. At least the poison will affect all the attacks.

FairGame posted:

I can do both melee OR ranged. I feel like my plan works better if there's an enemy in C4, but I'm flexible.

I feel like we would generate a lot of value by jamming up the sun demon and preventing the night demon from getting in to melee this round.

Reik fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Reik posted:

I feel like we would generate a lot of value by jamming up the sun demon and preventing the night demon from getting in to melee this round.

That's fine. If the two vermlings want to move fast to the point that C4 and D5 are occupied by allies before the night demon moves, I still have useful things I can do.

edit: a lot of this is just "I have no idea how to use a cragheart and I want to try all its neat skills out," but I'm happy to play as support rather than DPS and tank

FairGame fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 1, 2019