Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Beachcomber posted:

The movie Monster Squad, glorious as it is, has aged very badly in terms of the insults the children throw at each other.

The Gate and Night of the Comet are also pretty good '80s PG-13 horror, that out of nowhere have lines that remind you that, oh, yeah, casual homophobia was big in the '80s.

(My movie confession is that I haven't gotten around to watching The Monster Squad yet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wolfman's got nards and he's not afraid to use them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
He's one hell of a Tanuki.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

catlord posted:

The Gate and Night of the Comet are also pretty good '80s PG-13 horror, that out of nowhere have lines that remind you that, oh, yeah, casual homophobia was big in the '80s.

(My movie confession is that I haven't gotten around to watching The Monster Squad yet)

Love both of those movies, although The Gate ended slightly differently than I remember as a child.

Night of the Comet isn't exactly a zombie movie, but it reminded me that I was a huge fan of zombie movies before suddenly everyone was a fan of zombie media. I'm not sure if there's a correlation, but I still like the classics.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

the failure rate of restaurants normally is over 90%. Again, I forget the exact numbers but restaurants actually succeeding and managing to last in the long term is the exception. Part of that is because a hell of a lot of people are like "well I hate working for somebody else I know I'll start a restaurant, how hard can it be?" Pretty drat hard, it turns out.

That's actually a myth, restaurants are not worse than any other small business

https://www.forbes.com/sites/modeledbehavior/2017/01/29/no-most-restaurants-dont-fail-in-the-first-year/

Actually used a comprehensive sample, too, since the counted 98% of US Businesses from 1992 to 2011

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tunicate posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/modeledbehavior/2017/01/29/no-most-restaurants-dont-fail-in-the-first-year/

Actually used a comprehensive sample, too, since the counted 98% of US Businesses from 1992 to 2011

That article posted:

Restaurants with 20 or fewer employees fail more often than other service business, 

It's still a relevant nugget of information to give someone deciding to start their own small eatery where they'll be doing most of the work themselves.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jabor posted:

It's still a relevant nugget of information to give someone deciding to start their own small eatery where they'll be doing most of the work themselves.

So pretty much any starting restaurant, then.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just open a successful restaurant that makes money instead of a lovely one that loses money. Problem solved

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So what you're saying is I need to start by opening a whole chain of magician themed restaurants rather than just the one to improve my chances of success?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Call it "Slight of Ham" and you can't miss.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Tunicate posted:

Nice find. Although I'll note that most small businesses of any kind fail. The figure I remember is 80% in the first 5 years, although google tells me that for the UK "20% of small businesses fail in their first year, 30% of small business fail in their second year, and 50% of small businesses fail after five years in business" and there are figures all around the place.

Point being, I've known several people who have nursed a dream of opening a bar / bookshop / restaurant / skate store and I can't remember one working out. The people who opened an online / work from home business tended to do a lot better, but it's a lot less glamorous.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Call it "Slight of Ham" and you can't miss.

Here I was racking my brain for an abracadabra pun.

Close-up magic and pork. Winning combination.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Prestidigibacon

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

nonathlon posted:

Nice find. Although I'll note that most small businesses of any kind fail. The figure I remember is 80% in the first 5 years, although google tells me that for the UK "20% of small businesses fail in their first year, 30% of small business fail in their second year, and 50% of small businesses fail after five years in business" and there are figures all around the place.

Point being, I've known several people who have nursed a dream of opening a bar / bookshop / restaurant / skate store and I can't remember one working out. The people who opened an online / work from home business tended to do a lot better, but it's a lot less glamorous.

People always go for the "sexy" small businesses which are in oversaturated markets. I wonder what the statistics are for people who did research, and actually came up with a business plan are. See: that Parks & Rec clip where Ben tells Tom about his extremely boring but guaranteed-to-be-successful dry cleanong detergent wholesaler and Tom skipping out for an upscale Italian bistro in a tiny working class rural Indiana town. Except Parks and Rec gave him the one inestor in the world who just loves giving money to weirdos with no industry experience who want to open restaurants.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

People always go for the "sexy" small businesses which are in oversaturated markets. I wonder what the statistics are for people who did research, and actually came up with a business plan are. See: that Parks & Rec clip where Ben tells Tom about his extremely boring but guaranteed-to-be-successful dry cleanong detergent wholesaler and Tom skipping out for an upscale Italian bistro in a tiny working class rural Indiana town. Except Parks and Rec gave him the one inestor in the world who just loves giving money to weirdos with no industry experience who want to open restaurants.
But he ends up failing anyway.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

But he ends up failing anyway.

As a result of trying to expand too quickly after 4 years of his restaurant doing wonderfully amd becoming a regional chain. Instead of failing almost immediately because there's exactly two families in this town who are actually wealthy, why would you target the upper class?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It's a throwaway line, but I love that during the opening of Tom's Bistro, his nemesis, Dr. Saperstein, mentions his dry cleaning transactional holding company is doing extremely well.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

As a result of trying to expand too quickly after 4 years of his restaurant doing wonderfully amd becoming a regional chain. Instead of failing almost immediately because there's exactly two families in this town who are actually wealthy, why would you target the upper class?
It's probably just corruption and nepotism like the rest of the characters' actions. I still can't tell if the writers were doing it on purpose.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Restaurants are also a common one because most people know how to cook. Sometimes they'll have That One Recipe they make for people they know that everybody loves or some family recipe that's been handed down a long while. They then think "well you know just scale that up, right? How hard can it be?" Then they find out that a restaurant is a business and you have to run a business on top of cooking. It's also a business with a gently caress ton of competition as there's already restaurants just loving everywhere.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Elfface posted:

Prestidigibacon

:vince:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Krispy Wafer posted:

So what you're saying is I need to start by opening a whole chain of magician themed restaurants rather than just the one to improve my chances of success?

One location is fine, as long as you have at least 20 employees.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Restaurants are also a common one because most people know how to cook. Sometimes they'll have That One Recipe they make for people they know that everybody loves or some family recipe that's been handed down a long while. They then think "well you know just scale that up, right? How hard can it be?" Then they find out that a restaurant is a business and you have to run a business on top of cooking. It's also a business with a gently caress ton of competition as there's already restaurants just loving everywhere.

So many stories appear to be people who want the image of being a restaurateur. You know, dressing in a smock with just enough flour on the front while you stroll between tables and become the center of attention. Very little of the guy who hasn't slept in 36 hours now realizing he needs a home equity loan to repair the walk-in freezer. Oh, and Carlos quit so guess who gets to run the prep line tonight.

Someone should create a fake restaurant where retired dentists with too much money cosplay as owner-operators.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Wafer posted:

Someone should create a fake restaurant where retired dentists with too much money cosplay as owner-operators.

thats what mcdonalds franchises are for

those fuckers print money

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's probably just corruption and nepotism like the rest of the characters' actions. I still can't tell if the writers were doing it on purpose.

People who watch sitcoms want to see characters they've already met and care about do well and succeed and especially if its because of the friends they've made along the way. Its just good writing. It is if course the exact opposite of good governance.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

People who watch sitcoms want to see characters they've already met and care about do well and succeed and especially if its because of the friends they've made along the way. Its just good writing. It is if course the exact opposite of good governance.

When I was watching P and R I basically was always hoping Tom would fail, or get hit by a bus. On a show full of great characters, he was just aggravating every time he was on screen.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Is this a cultural thing? 'Cos when I think of how popular things like The Young Ones and Bottom were/are in the UK, that does not gel with the idea of people enjoying watching success. Quite the opposite. Watching Richie and Eddie succeed would be dull, watching them get dropped by the literal hand of God after realising they don't believe in him is much funnier.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Krispy Wafer posted:

You know, dressing in a smock with just enough flour on the front

Hey :mad:

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

exquisite tea posted:

The UK version is a lot slower and more cerebral. You really get to empathize with the owners and see how just a few systematic errors in judgment has caused their business to collapse over time. In the American version it's Angry Gordon yelling at slackjawed morons who can't make a baked potato while that creaky door sound effect plays over and over. Both have their merits.
This is true of a lot of UK vs. US shows. Hoarders is exploitative reality tv crap, The Hoarder Next Door is really good. Nanny 911 and Supernanny are really formulaic (although I do like Jo a lot), while Born Naughty? is calmer. Time Team is fun and smart while US archaeological shows are two guys running around with metal detectors while I yell at the tv that they suck.

BioEnchanted posted:

I like on that season of Hell's Kitchen with the single mother that everyone got super bitchy about because they were jealous that one of her prizes during the show was cooking live on TV (they were all pissy because her simpler meals were owning their over-complex poo poo as well) so conspired against her by deliberately failing to tell her what was needed of her when she was on the veg station. Gordon did notice as well, he asked her before dismissing her, giving her a chance to defend herself "Did you feel like you got adequate support from the other contestants?" but because she had class (and was the only one to have any, the winner did not deserve to win that season after her behaviour) she refused to throw them under the bus and lied for them. She was cool and deserved better, and Gordon recognised that.
He sent her to his school/training course for free at the end of the season, I think.

trickybiscuits has a new favorite as of 20:46 on Oct 31, 2019

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I live in a pretty small no-name area, and there's at least half a dozen pizza places just within a 5 minute drive from my house that I'm aware of.
You've got chains like Pizza Hut and Fox's, smaller local franchises like Fat Angelo's, then the mom and pop joints like Pepper Ronnie's.

And that's not even factoring in all the other fast food like McDonald's, Subway, Dairy Queen and Sheetz.

But yeah, everyone thinks that they can run their own pizza place around here.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This is nuts to me, because My One Recipe is for pizza, which is relatively easy to scale up compared to most recipes, and the few times I've actually cooked for 20 to 30-ish people were incredibly stressful. Even the time my one friend contracted out just dough to me was a giant pain in the rear end. Have these people never hosted a party they didn't have catered?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Yeah, the funny bit is I like P&R. I even like Brooklyn 99, which is a show about one of the most violent and corrupt organizations in the world. I'm also a big Tina Fey fan. I enjoy stories about privileged people trying to be decent human beings, because people who make TV shows don't get it right when they try to make shows about people without privilege (because they have a lot of it).

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

because people who make TV shows don't get it right when they try to make shows about people without privilege (because they have a lot of it).

I think Raising Hope did this really well, but yeah I can't think of another show besides maybe pre-Reboot Roseanne.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The one reason why the Curb Your Enthusiasm season 3 arc of Larry investing in a new restaurant made sense was because he was one of about 10 partners, and they all had meetings with a proper restaurateur and hired a head chef who wasn't an owner.

They never do end up mentioning the restaurant after the season 3 finale, but he was also rich as poo poo so it didn't matter if an LA restaurant failed as long as he got to have some fun.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
P&R ended up being way too on-point as a criticism of Hillary Clinton

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

mojo1701a posted:

The one reason why the Curb Your Enthusiasm season 3 arc of Larry investing in a new restaurant made sense was because he was one of about 10 partners, and they all had meetings with a proper restaurateur and hired a head chef who wasn't an owner.

They never do end up mentioning the restaurant after the season 3 finale, but he was also rich as poo poo so it didn't matter if an LA restaurant failed as long as he got to have some fun.

Also hes a celebrity and celebrities dream about owning their own restaurant even more than regular people do.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
They also lose their shirts even more than regular people do. That's the main reason pro athletes go bankrupt after they retire. It's not buying fancy sports cars, drugs, or divorces; it's investing in businesses - often restaurants.

I used to work next to Evander Holyfield's restaurant. I think it lasted a year.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Pastamania!!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
A football man owns a Jamba Juice nearby. It's got his name on it and everything.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Rake had a fairly realistic (for the show) restaurant subplot where Cleaver bought a restaurant with a bunch of other lawyers and he was the only one who didn't realise it was meant to lose money as a part of a tax scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Beachcomber posted:

A football man owns a Jamba Juice nearby. It's got his name on it and everything.

There are always some success cases.

https://www.franchisehelp.com/franchisee-resource-center/top-professional-athletes-who-own-franchises/

Jamal Mashburn owns 34 Outback Steakhouses!

fake edit: It list Mark Brunell as a success with 11 Whataburgers, even as he goes into bankruptcy, lol