Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This show really is showing how releasing weekly can absolutely be the better option over dumping it all at once. Having the week between episodes gives people time to think about the details, and I’ve watched each episode twice to really absorb it. That can’t really happen in something where you open palm slam the whole season into your brain in one shot. The pacing of the story feels very deliberate and the breaks have really helped with that.

I wish I could watch it all at once tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Taintrunner posted:

Going to out myself as a "Why the gently caress would you try to assume you can do better than Alan Moore" type and say that I'm not hot on the show yet, I'll keep watching, but... I feel like I'm far more invested into seeing the weird alt-history bits around this weird world they've drummed up than the actual plot, and that feels like a major problem. Like hell, I enjoy watching the main character and her Soviet tracksuit partner. They have an obvious old man Veidt in a castle and I'm frankly completely uninterested in the overall story - it's cute, but... I have zero loving reason to care.

I get that it's the cool smart Internet poster guy thing now to poo poo on Alan Moore. But, frankly, he did a really loving incredible job with V for Vendetta and Watchmen, two of the most iconic graphic novels of the medium that made comic books into Graphic Novels - and there's people ITT making GBS threads on him instead of being willing to accept his work, as well as the potential of a AAA+ Hollywood team to build on that, even after DC's attempts of a prequel and sequel have absolutely ate poo poo.

There's a difference between making GBS threads on Alan Moore and pointing out a disconnect in how he wrote certain characters and his disgust at the reaction that portrayal got.

Rorschach is absolutely written in a way that it's very predictable many people would like him (in spite of being a deeply flawed person). Yet Moore doesn't want people to like him, which is stupid because of the very sympathetic backstory and his unwavering devotion to what he sees as right. And his nigh supernatural badassery.

Pointing this out also is different than suggesting I could do better than Alan Moore. Of course I can't do a tenth as well.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

There's a difference between making GBS threads on Alan Moore and pointing out a disconnect in how he wrote certain characters and his disgust at the reaction that portrayal got.

Rorschach is absolutely written in a way that it's very predictable many people would like him (in spite of being a deeply flawed person). Yet Moore doesn't want people to like him, which is stupid because of the very sympathetic backstory and his unwavering devotion to what he sees as right. And his nigh supernatural badassery.

Pointing this out also is different than suggesting I could do better than Alan Moore. Of course I can't do a tenth as well.

(I just love this quote)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I mean, Batman is already a detestable enough guy for real life before you make him a hobo.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Jesus also smelled bad and had no girlfriend Alan

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Jesus absolutely had a girlfriend, but he was a volcel, which explains his incredible powers

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

And Jesus's girlfriend washed his feet for him.

Who's doing that for Rorschach?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

LadyPictureShow posted:

If i had to guess, Daniel.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

LadyPictureShow posted:

I mean, that guy with the hose cleaning off the Comedian's blood stain probably accidentally sprayed his feet as he walked by with his sign.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Klungar posted:

I mean, that guy with the hose cleaning off the Comedian's blood stain probably accidentally sprayed his feet as he walked by with his sign.

Touché.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SardonicTyrant posted:

Jesus absolutely had a girlfriend, but he was a volcel, which explains his incredible powers

A Fricking Wizard

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I just find myself waiting for the next episode :(

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Just :lol: that Moore is upset that people saw what they wanted in a character named Rorschach. :sun:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Since this thread is occasionally a general Lindelof and by proxy Lost thread inbetween eps...

SyFy Wire just finished up a limited podcast series that is a retrospective on Lost and essentially Lindelof.
https://art19.com/shows/through-the-looking-glass

Its a pretty healthy mix of realistic industry inside info, criticism, praise and they interview Damon and Cuse in the final episode.

Its pretty wild to think that that show ws sending out review copies of the pilot to critics on VHS. I know its old, but god drat.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

AccountSupervisor posted:

Since this thread is occasionally a general Lindelof and by proxy Lost thread inbetween eps...

SyFy Wire just finished up a limited podcast series that is a retrospective on Lost and essentially Lindelof.
https://art19.com/shows/through-the-looking-glass

Its a pretty healthy mix of realistic industry inside info, criticism, praise and they interview Damon and Cuse in the final episode.

Its pretty wild to think that that show ws sending out review copies of the pilot to critics on VHS. I know its old, but god drat.

Thanks for this, I know I'll like it after they defended the finale and said Breaking Bad's finale isn't as good as people say it is.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Preston Waters posted:

Ah yes, clearly this place is filled with people who like making GBS threads on the author of one of their favorite pieces of literature.

This show wouldn't exist if Alan Moore had his way, I'll happily poo poo all over the dude doing almost nothing but use other people's characters without getting permission and then crying crocodile tears over people doing the same thing to stuff he worked on but doesn't actually own.

Also based on his Chapo episode the culmination of his lifetime of soul searching and philosophizing is basically Calvinism only with some woo woo quantum physics = magic bullshit tacked on.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
There are plenty of writers who do really insightful work but have an amazing lack of self awareness outside of it. It's pretty harmless and I'll take that over the ones that are like turbo-racist in real life or something any day.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

This show wouldn't exist if Alan Moore had his way, I'll happily poo poo all over the dude doing almost nothing but use other people's characters without getting permission and then crying crocodile tears over people doing the same thing to stuff he worked on but doesn't actually own.

Also based on his Chapo episode the culmination of his lifetime of soul searching and philosophizing is basically Calvinism only with some woo woo quantum physics = magic bullshit tacked on.

No the guy just doesn’t want to be involved in anything related to Hollywood or TV on the things he’s worked on since he’s already been hosed before. It’s everyone else that keeps trying to get him back in or talk about him when he’s clearly already distanced himself away from that years ago.

Or you know you could just make poo poo up and be angry at him because you like this tv show or whatever I guess

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Hoping Looking Glass doesn't have the same stain of reactionary-ness that Rorschach did. He's pretty awesome.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Going to out myself as a "Why the gently caress would you try to assume you can do better than Alan Moore" type and say that I'm not hot on the show yet, I'll keep watching, but... I feel like I'm far more invested into seeing the weird alt-history bits around this weird world they've drummed up than the actual plot, and that feels like a major problem

Not making GBS threads on Alan Moore here because Watchmen is by far my favorite comic/graphic novel -- but the world-building was the best part of the original, too. The plot of Watchmen was definitely good, but it really wasn't until the final issue that everything clicked into place narratively IMO (and as referenced, the whole psychic squid monster subplot still doesn't make a ton of sense).

I disliked the movie and didn't give whatever DC prequels/sequels the time of day. I gave this HBO show a shot because critics I trust seemed to like it, and I was pleasantly surprised that it, too, was doubling down on the world-building and alt-history bits that enjoyed in the original.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jay-V posted:

Not making GBS threads on Alan Moore here because Watchmen is by far my favorite comic/graphic novel -- but the world-building was the best part of the original, too. The plot of Watchmen was definitely good, but it really wasn't until the final issue that everything clicked into place narratively IMO (and as referenced, the whole psychic squid monster subplot still doesn't make a ton of sense).

I disliked the movie and didn't give whatever DC prequels/sequels the time of day. I gave this HBO show a shot because critics I trust seemed to like it, and I was pleasantly surprised that it, too, was doubling down on the world-building and alt-history bits that enjoyed in the original.

The plot also feels more willing to deliver on some actual plot-related events early on. It’s definitely moving along a lot quicker in a very good way.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Harlock posted:

I just find myself waiting for the next episode :(

There's a lot more in the first episode if you watch it again! :)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I've just spent the last week reading this entire thread. I went into the series expecting to hate it and not watch past the first episode (what the gently caress is with you weirdos who hate watch poo poo?). Surprisingly, I really enjoyed this. I like how it sets up the "good guy" cops vs he bad guy white supremacists, but the way these cops act are loving terrifying. The only good one is Panda, and I am 100% here for more Panda content. Maybe Pirate Jenny? But only because I dig that aesthetic.

I'm on board for the rest of this season, which is weird because I despised Lost and stopped watching before the end of season 1 and got bored with the first couple episodes of Leftovers. Really glad to see this is a single story.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Alan Moore did 9/11

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

Hilario Baldness posted:

Hoping Looking Glass doesn't have the same stain of reactionary-ness that Rorschach did. He's pretty awesome.

He's a loving cop that doesn't have to worry about pesky things like 'civil rights' because he can designate any one he wants as a 'terrorist' and your worried he's not going to be portrayed sympathetically enough? Do you like the taste of jackboots that much? loving liberal centrists will turn into authoritarian bootlickers without a seconds thought as long as the authoritarianism in question has a liberal sheen to it. All Cops Are Bastards, no exceptions, they only exist to protect the property of the capital class. And that goes for the fictional ones as well.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jutsuka posted:

as the authoritarianism in question has a liberal sheen to it
nice pun

also, :same:

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
From Hell is far and away Moore’s best work and maybe the best in the genre.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Woa woa woa woa

Alan Moore went on loving Chapo?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hilario Baldness posted:

I have bad news about the person who is a detached masked law enforcement officer in Tulsa for you.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hakkesshu posted:

I have bad news about the person who is a detached masked law enforcement officer in Tulsa for you.

Detached is kind of underselling it. LG is creepy and definitely not right in the head and I like seeing Tim Blake Nelson get to play that kind of role more than I should.

Dude needs a major role in John Wick 4 or something, I would watch him be unsettling in something like that where he can be unabashedly badass.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm really curious if they do anything with LG. I really like the depressed/detached angle and the way he never takes his mask off and I'm intensely looking forward to more.

If he had participated in the trailer park round up I wouldn't care in the slightest. 'detached, depressed, and violent/angry' is extremely droll and played out but the way he didn't seem on board with it and didn't fight at all makes me hopeful there is something more to him.

No idea if that one trail of interest will be rewarded or not but there are plenty of other things I find engaging about the show if LG ends up being a boring rorschach knock off.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I hope Looking Glass has to interrogate a blind man and we get to see him all flustered that his cool mask doesn't work on him.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I feel like I might like this show but I’m allergic to Damon Lindelof. You promise it’s good?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

I feel like I might like this show but I’m allergic to Damon Lindelof. You promise it’s good?
I think it's excellent, but there's no accounting for taste. As such, I don't think that anyone can promise that you would think that it's good.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I finally caught up with the second episode. I'm still on board with it, mostly due to the killer Trent Reznor score, and it's mostly good. Some of the political commentary stuff is a bit ridiculous though. The long-winded content warning was silly to the point that it became downright cartoonish. I really hope the point they're trying to make here is "If liberals had their way they'd destroy society just like how the conservatives are so American politics is a lose-lose scenario" because that's amateur hour social commentary poo poo.

It has potential to be great, but I see a lot of places where it can fail miserably.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ogmius815 posted:

It’s good. What don’t you like about lindelof?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s good. What don’t you like about lindelof?

Faux-intellectual rumination and rampant third act problems.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Macrame_God posted:

I finally caught up with the second episode. I'm still on board with it, mostly due to the killer Trent Reznor score, and it's mostly good. Some of the political commentary stuff is a bit ridiculous though. The long-winded content warning was silly to the point that it became downright cartoonish. I really hope the point they're trying to make here is "If liberals had their way they'd destroy society just like how the conservatives are so American politics is a lose-lose scenario" because that's amateur hour social commentary poo poo.

It has potential to be great, but I see a lot of places where it can fail miserably.

The content warning was amazing and peak liberalism.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Danger posted:

The content warning was amazing and peak liberalism.
It was the funniest scene in the show thus far. Mysterious grandpa being yoinked away by a magnet from the sky, loony tunes style, being a close second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Night can be forgiven for not thinking he was a flight risk