Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of the mercs is there a way to meet the other two before the Tribunal, like how you can gently caress with the one at the gate? In mine Kim said "There's another one of them. How did we miss that?" which made me think I could have found that out somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Speaking of the mercs is there a way to meet the other two before the Tribunal, like how you can gently caress with the one at the gate? In mine Kim said "There's another one of them. How did we miss that?" which made me think I could have found that out somehow?

I am pretty sure both Joyce and Ruby can mention it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, one of the big surprises is the extent to which you find out Col. Lely was the guy keeping his unit together and relatively sane. Kort definitely means it when he says 'the Colonel would have spared the lot of you', especially considering you get a bonus from throwing him off because the same dialogue has him admit he's nowhere near as good a leader and lose some faith in himself. The entire Tribunal is a tragedy that, in a lot of games, you'd have been able to talk your way out of; all the signs are there. But because of which of the mercs is dead, and where the situation's gone, there's no talking this down without some degree of bloodshed anymore. I actually really like that you absolutely can't talk your way entirely out of that mess; it feels more honest to how badly things had gone to even get to that point

I guess it shouldn't be surprising that one of the most common complaints I've seen is that it is impossible to not have people die at the Tribunal. There are a ton of people who cannot let go of the typical RPG mindset of being able to resolve everything peacefully as a reward for winning checks. Can you imagine how unsatisfying the Tribunal would have been if they just listened and walked away, how against character it would have been for drunk, raping and pillaging mercenaries enraged by the death of their leader just dropping the whole thing because you somehow said the right combination of words? It's weird how badly people want that segment to just suck rear end simply because their gaming instincts demand a squeaky clean conclusion.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The thing is that Lely is dead is why this even happens, and if it was possible to diffuse it completely, it probably wouldn't have gotten to 3 drunk, angry, fully armed men and women waving guns at the local heavies. The leader they needed to have to be talked down is dead, and the best you can do is intervene. The whole act of heroism there is two guys with lovely muzzle-loaders going 'STOP, THIS IS THE POLICE' and walking in front of that clusterfuck, regardless of how it goes. Anyone you can save is already a success. I was thrilled I managed to save half the Hardies.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/disco-elysium-dev-confirms-playstation-4-xbox-one-ports-for-next-year/

quote:

Sleeper hit Disco Elysium is coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One next year, according to lead designer Robert Kurvitz.

ZA/UM’s Planescape: Torment-inspired CRPG came out for PC on Oct. 15 and has already become a critical darling. In an interview with the Escapist, Kurvitz revealed that he has big plans for the game and its broader setting.

“The immediate plan, and this is why I won’t go on a holiday anytime soon, is to get Disco Elysium to as many people as possible,” Kurvitz said. “We’re going to port it next year to PlayStation and Xbox. We need to be very hands-on with the design of that. We don’t want to hire a porting company. We think it really is going to lend itself very well to console play because you don’t need to go over minute tactics and use a mouse because it’s very narrative in its nature.”

Kurvitz is also working on translating the game into Chinese and several European languages. An English translation of Sacred and Terrible Air, the novel by Kurvitz that serves as the game’s source material, is likewise forthcoming.

Disco Elysium tells the story of an alcoholic, partially amnesiac cop who has to solve a murder in the fictional city of Revachol. The game revolves almost completely around dialogue and skill checks, not being about combat.

Stay tuned for the Escapist’s full interview with Kurvitz tomorrow, revealing more details about the game’s development and plans for sequels.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
My beautiful 25 real novelty cheque is bugged :(. Whenever I try to cash it, the game says I have received 25 real, but the money doesn't actually appear. The option to cash it also doesn't go away, so I can keep cashing the cheque over and over with no effect.

Some googling didn't turn up anything. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sequel plans: basically all just evil apes dukin' it out on a giant ball

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Watch the sequel let you play as Joyce

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

DIOS MIOS

DrinkingBird
Sep 26, 2017
It's gonna be a Cuno sequel and you can't convince me otherwise! Cuno's the pig now, see!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Broken Cog posted:

And her heath bar is how much she has until the Pale erases her on the next trip, and it goes down all the time.

But that would be kinda like Dragon Quarter.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

DrinkingBird posted:

It's gonna be a Cuno sequel and you can't convince me otherwise! Cuno's the pig now, see!

Then he'll have two pig heads!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

DrinkingBird posted:

I shudder to think what Cuno's thought cabinet would be like.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

EC is there still but it's the Volition role now

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I wonder how they'd make the voices in the head work for a protagonist who's not as unhinged as Henry.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Broken Cog posted:

Shelf upon shelf on drugs.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Yeah, was gonna reload when that happened in my first playthrough, but then stuck with it and now in my mind it is canon. The tribunal ended with nearly everyone killed which suddenly raised the stakes and left Cuno as the only chance for Harry to affect at least *some* positive change in Martinaise. Then getting Cuno enrolled in junior officers program and being told that his defense was the only reason for Harry being taken back into precinct 41 felt a perfect denouement.

Never have I done a complete 180 on a character like Cuno. Just loving amazing.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dreylad posted:

Never have I done a complete 180 on a character like Cuno. Just loving amazing.

I did it twice in this game, after hearing about that (Kim didn't get shot on my playthrough so never knew about Jr Officer Cuno until reading about it here, I look forward to hearing him lay into the people mocking me hardcore style) and much earlier when Kim went from "ugh sidekick, time to shake this loser" to "I will die for Kim, who is my best friend in the whole world" in the span of 1 day

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

would be cool to play with a game pad actually because double clicking constantly to run everywhere gets pretty old

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

This loving owns, my boyfriend prefers to read in Chinese so I'm glad they're specifically doing that. He is a Chinese citizen + US permanent resident so he's gonna eat up the politics in this I'm sure.

The artist on the game mentioned on the Steam forums that he's going to add 21:9 support as well, he was just waiting post-launch to do it first.

Gone Fashing posted:

would be cool to play with a game pad actually because double clicking constantly to run everywhere gets pretty old

Yeah, is there no mod for Always Run? It's bothering my RSI. Maybe someone smarter than me can make an Auto Hot Key script to turn Right Click into a double-click?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 31, 2019

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I wonder if things could be revealed different in the end if you don't run at all.

Maybe it's time to do the exact same playthrough I did except this time I walk

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

literally just swear words

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
loving Tribunal is a gaming treasure. So much tension!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

In most RPG's the tribunal would've just been the PC's team rolling over the mercs and you the player forgetting about it after an hour.

Megazver posted:

I wonder how they'd make the voices in the head work for a protagonist who's not as unhinged as Henry.

Exactly the same but just less wacky? People talk to themselves all the time with their inner voice. It's a really great way to explore a character's psyche and to roleplay.

Hwurmp posted:

literally just swear words

Cuno is a sensitive artist with a vast and high-cultured imagination. But yeah, full of swear words.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Night10194 posted:

The thing is that Lely is dead is why this even happens, and if it was possible to diffuse it completely, it probably wouldn't have gotten to 3 drunk, angry, fully armed men and women waving guns at the local heavies. The leader they needed to have to be talked down is dead, and the best you can do is intervene. The whole act of heroism there is two guys with lovely muzzle-loaders going 'STOP, THIS IS THE POLICE' and walking in front of that clusterfuck, regardless of how it goes. Anyone you can save is already a success. I was thrilled I managed to save half the Hardies.

This is really it right here, this is why I'm so confused when I read anything bad about that scene. It's a god drat masterpiece. Even if you goose half the relationships and play a dingbat during it, it's impossible not to get sucked in by the tension and stakes as all the politics and factionism melts away and it's just a couple very angry people, and you and Kim, trying to divert a tsunami with nothing but Disco and a massive pry bar

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
How do I start day 3 if I haven't been able to find enough money to pay for another night? Time doesn't really seem to be moving, do I just sleep on the street?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This is really it right here, this is why I'm so confused when I read anything bad about that scene. It's a god drat masterpiece. Even if you goose half the relationships and play a dingbat during it, it's impossible not to get sucked in by the tension and stakes as all the politics and factionism melts away and it's just a couple very angry people, and you and Kim, trying to divert a tsunami with nothing but Disco and a massive pry bar

It also means so much because you're just a washed up detective and his partner. You're just two dudes. You don't outnumber either side. You don't outgun either side. You're not special forces badasses or wizards or whatever like in a lot of RPGs. But it's also clear who you have to protect and who's the aggressor, and it's your job. That both Harry and Kim dive into it knowing they're probably going to die makes them heroes.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Buzkashi posted:

How do I start day 3 if I haven't been able to find enough money to pay for another night? Time doesn't really seem to be moving, do I just sleep on the street?

Sadly that's just one of the couple of (arguably) bad design decisions in the game:

If you don't have an earlier save my suggestion is that you edit your save file or use CheatEngine to add the amount needed.

And the clock stops at 02:00 every night. You have to sleep.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
He's on day 3 though so he should be able to access the coast boat thing or the shack

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Disargeria posted:

He's on day 3 though so he should be able to access the coast boat thing or the shack
He cant's start day 3, the lock gets fixed at 7:15.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I mean, it's nighttime day 2 and I'm just twiddling my thumbs. All I see in the save files folder is .png images of where I saved and a bunch of zipped files - what happens if I unzip them - it seems like there's a few files in there.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think they're in plain text. I haven't done it myself. Some people in this thread might know more.
So yeah, just open and ctrl+F the amount of real you currently have and replace with what you need.

Alright, I had a look at my saves. What you're looking for should be in 2nd json file. It's plain text and it's under "playerCharacter". Just use notepad.

itry fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 31, 2019

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
K, done that to add just another 20 real but now do I have to re-zip it or just leave it be?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, you have to re-zip everything the way you found it. And backup your saves just in case.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
generally back them up before loving with them.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

I did it twice in this game, after hearing about that (Kim didn't get shot on my playthrough so never knew about Jr Officer Cuno until reading about it here, I look forward to hearing him lay into the people mocking me hardcore style)
Speaking of, here's a (endgame spoilers) little preview. Pretty sure I got the stupidest smile and went :allears: when that kicked off. I've put it behind the link, but it doesn't really spoil anything if you've already gone through endgame at least once, whether with Kim or solo, and are aware of the Cuno option.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Speaking of, here's a (endgame spoilers) little preview. Pretty sure I got the stupidest smile and went :allears: when that kicked off. I've put it behind the link, but it doesn't really spoil anything if you've already gone through endgame at least once, whether with Kim or solo, and are aware of the Cuno option.

Oh my God

Sorry Kim but this next playthrough may not work out so well for you

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

One more nice touch that is especially highlighted when you use the spirit bomb is that you can still be honestly sympathetic towards Korty even as you're BURNING HIS FACE ALIVE because it's a miserable situation all around but you're still there to try and save lives and peace was never an option by that point. Your tie, of course, remarks on your kind heart.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Say, what happens if You tag the corpse and send it off without finding the bullet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Night10194 posted:

Say, what happens if You tag the corpse and send it off without finding the bullet?

Later in the investigation you find out he was shot anyway, think Klaajsz tells you

You also get a Espirit-De-Corps passive check about some guys in the precint morgue finding it out, and one of the guys hacking the corpse comments that "no wonder the detectives didn't find discover this, this was pretty well-hidden"