Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
My friends call any TTRPG "D&D" and it drives me insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

I did my part. I got that box by voting 6 as recommended.

I also voted for more Dark Sun and SpellJammer.

They also mention non DND rpgs like Pathfinder under 3rd party suppliments.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Team_q posted:

I did my part. I got that box by voting 6 as recommended.

I also voted for more Dark Sun and SpellJammer.

They also mention non DND rpgs like Pathfinder under 3rd party suppliments.

Huh I never got a section on third-party supplements.

E: also the person looking up Lich history should check out Len Lakofka’s “Blueprint for a Lich” in Dragon magazine as well.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Arivia posted:

Huh I never got a section on third-party supplements.

One (two?) of the "what D&D products did you buy? (check all that apply)" had third-party supplements and mentioned Pathfinder.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

One (two?) of the "what D&D products did you buy? (check all that apply)" had third-party supplements and mentioned Pathfinder.

Mine didn’t. But I think it thought I was a returning player, it really liked me being someone who started playing 2e in 1998.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I didn't get fancy poo poo in that dumb survey, despite having played Every Version, including starting in 1E. I spoke honestly about their BS and endorsed More Dark Sun.

I also said my favorite D&D supplement was the Complete Book of Necromancers. Maybe that'll lead to more zombie-based feats in the future.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I told them I wanted more Dragonlance, since that's been out of print for 12 years and will likely soon be OOP permanently given Weis has the rights tied up and is a 71 year old cancer survivor.

Jerik
Jun 24, 2019

I don't know what to write here.

Arivia posted:

E: also the person looking up Lich history should check out Len Lakofka’s “Blueprint for a Lich” in Dragon magazine as well.

Hm. I just checked the article, and "Blueprint for a Lich" never uses the word "phylactery", but it does describe an item that holds the lich's life force; it just doesn't call it a phylactery—it calls it a "jar" (as in the magic jar spell, not as in necessarily a glass cylinder). The description of the phylactery's working in Lords of Darkness closely follows the description of how the "jar" works in "Blueprint for a Lich", though, so yeah, this seems to be where it originally comes from—unless someone can turn up an even earlier source. ("Blueprint for a Lich" is in Dragon #26 and predates Lords of Darkness by about ten years.)

It turns out there's another possible source that came about halfway between "Blueprint for a Lich" and Lords of Darkness, and that may have been the first source to explicitly equate the "phylactery" briefly mentioned in the lich's Monster Manual description with the "jar" that holds the lich's soul in Lakofka's article: an Endless Quest book called Lair of the Lich. This, though, I'm afraid I can't check and verify; my collection of old D&D books is pretty extensive, but it doesn't include the "Endless Quest" books. (For those not familiar with them, the "Endless Quest" books were basically just D&D-branded "Choose Your Own Adventure" books. I had a few of them as a child, but I don't think I had Lair of the Lich, and even the ones that I did have I have no idea where they are now... quite possibly they're in a box in my parents' attic somewhere.)

Anyway, I hadn't noticed earlier that there's at least one significant difference between how the phylactery/"jar" works in 1E (in "Blueprint for a Lich" and Lords of Darkness) and how it works from 2E on (starting with the Monstrous Compendium Volume One). In the 1E sources, the lich has to consciously decide to return its life force to its phylactery/"jar". It'll do that if it feels itself in danger of being defeated, but if you take the lich out quickly enough before it has a chance to retreat to its phylactery/"jar", it's destroyed for good, and you don't need to worry about hunting down the phylactery. In more recent editions, of course, the lich's life force is just stored in its phylactery, and the lich can re-form automatically as long as its phylactery is intact, so you always have to destroy the phylactery to permanently kill the lich. Of course, it's not surprising that the details have changed over the decades since first edition...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arivia posted:

Mine didn’t. But I think it thought I was a returning player, it really liked me being someone who started playing 2e in 1998.

:same:

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/ELHmk1/status/1189572874522247168?s=20

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

From that first tweet I honestly thought this was going to be someone who doesn't understand licensing or trademark laws being mad that Modiphius was trying to make them take down their free Star Trek Adventures products from DTRPG.

The reality is much more disappointing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That seems like half of what happened though, with the other half being Modiphius blanket-banning fan content based on some chuds making GBS threads the pool.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
In the reddit threads the responses from Modphius seem completely reasonable and the twitter poster appears to have gone nuclear at the suggestion of 'maybe our official fan reddit shouldn't be presenting an enemy list on the homepage'.

he's been in a slapfight with this other group for at least five months:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wow. Further in thread the head of Modiphus' RPG development quit the subreddit and also removed the word 'official' right before he did so. He also claims the reports are 'unsubstantiated' which either means he's ignoring them or hasn't bothered to look.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 31, 2019

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/startrekadventures/comments/dp8vrt/modiphius_has_decided_to_remove_this_subreddit/

Looks to me like Modiphius is belatedly taking the step they ought to have already had in place, which is that Reddit content is not official Modiphius content, and Modiphius staffers are not going to officially moderate Reddit groups/threads. (It's kind of insane to do otherwise, really - you don't want to put your brand and product into the hands of anonymous strangers on Reddit, or even just unpaid volunteers. Fostering fan contributions on your own forums is more than sufficient for community support.)

The stuff about 10th fleet seems to be a disagreement about whether it's appropriate to have a rule blanketly banning anyone who is a member, vs. banning specific people. I'm personally inclined to say if a group is a hate group you ban the hate group and that's fine, but I have no opinion and can't tell from what I see so far, whether 10th fleet is just a hate group.

It certainly seems to me though that the DoubleBlindStudy person is fed up with dealing with nasty people and was expecting Modiphius to back them up wholeheartedly rather than distance itself from Reddit.

The accusation that Modiphius has withdrawn/blackballed DBS from submitting or publishing content is the most serious one to me, and I haven't seen discussion about it yet.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If I started selling original unsolicited content for any game using their IP, I'd have to try really drat hard to fake surprise when it ends badly.

(And it's not even Modiphius' IP so they're almost certainly restricted in just what can be done with it. Turning the wheel over to some dude on Reddit? Lol sure.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Leperflesh posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/startrekadventures/comments/dp8vrt/modiphius_has_decided_to_remove_this_subreddit/

The accusation that Modiphius has withdrawn/blackballed DBS from submitting or publishing content is the most serious one to me, and I haven't seen discussion about it yet.

From the linked thread they at least claim to have not removed anyone's free content, RPGWebby's the guy called out as Modiphius' RPG lead.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm trying really hard to be sympathetic to the reddit person because it sure sounds like they have legitimate complaints about this 10th fleet group. And I also know that "but your tone" is a bullshit response basically any time. But the aggressive, hysterical posts really make me think this person is not cut out for forums moderation and probably needs to take a step back and breathe for a day. They are not helping themselves at all.

I also kind of want Modiphius to be an OK company because I bought one of their games and want to play it and not feel bad about it. That's pretty selfish of me and I'm trying to separate it from how I'm reading the situation but maybe I just can't.

e. it sure seems like if that moderator was willing to change their Rule 5 from "10th fleet is banned" to "No talking about or promoting 10th fleet here" that would do it? The only objection seems to have been that some people from 10th fleet might be innocent and even the moderator is saying they can't and didn't ban members of 10th fleet from posting, aside from one specific banned person.

But I guess having what you thought was control over an officially sanctioned product domain get summarily un-officialed seems like retaliation and I can see how that's upsetting (but it never should have been "official" in the first place lol.)

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 1, 2019

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I don't follow all the events that are going on here but it's pretty clear here that modiphus wants control of any official labeling, which makes sense. It's their license and I'm sure the terms are very specific and wouldn't allow for these sorts of shenanigans.

Anisotropic Shader
Nov 25, 2005

You're talkin' about what would basically be the most important model train layout of all time you realize.

Azran posted:

My friends call any TTRPG "D&D" and it drives me insane.

It’s similar to how GW pushed Warhammer as a hobby or ‘the hobby’ instead of labelling itself as a wargame. All their material and the party line in its stores is that Warhammer stands alone as a distinct hobby composed of different activities - building, painting, gaming. Makes sense from a business perspective but seems to smother out the rest of the actual hobby of Wargaming.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That's a feature, not a bug.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Leperflesh posted:

I also kind of want Modiphius to be an OK company because I bought one of their games and want to play it and not feel bad about it. That's pretty selfish of me and I'm trying to separate it from how I'm reading the situation but maybe I just can't.

Ehh.

Chris, the owner, is a bit of a dick in my experience and ultimately drives their direction etc (see kickstarters funding previous and terrible time management for their first couple of years). On the other hand they've had a lot of good freelancers working there. Albeit some have very quietly spoken of being paid very late, which is sadly typical of many companies in the industry but that doesn't give them a pass.

PST fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 1, 2019

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
Saw this today.

u/TheInsultsGame posted:

Lose friends this Christmas...

The best part of playing games is often the banter that flies back and forth. So we made a card game that is purely about maximising this banter.

The Insults Game revolves around abusing other players. Use cards to call people "hairy bitches", or to reveal your sister's chlamydia in front of your family. Also, our logo is a middle-finger (the same finger we pleasured your mum with last night).

Not suitable for children or snowflakes (obviously).

https://www.reddit.com/r/tabletop/comments/drjdft/lose_friends_this_christmas/

I kind of want to back at $1 and drop a link to Ettin's "offensive card game" article.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Flail Snail posted:

Saw this today.

I kind of want to back at $1 and drop a link to Ettin's "offensive card game" article.

Just put the link in the reddit comments.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Irony dollars are real dollars

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1191767413068578817

There you go, I guess.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Two seasons? Amazon's betting big.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Do you think they'll be donating all the proceeds from the deal to lobby for Amazon workers' rights this time or hope it all blows over?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

They'll acknowledge nothing.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Flail Snail posted:

Saw this today.

Hello there, Cards Against Humanity But You Insult Your Friends. At least this guy didn't completely copy CAH's dressing, I guess.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Didn't they take $11m from kickstarter backers to make these?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

alg posted:

Didn't they take $11m from kickstarter backers to make these?

As I understand it

(1) Kickstarter was for Season 1, and
(2) Backers will still get access (somehow) to Season 1 without needing to pay for Prime

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CitizenKeen posted:

As I understand it

(1) Kickstarter was for Season 1, and
(2) Backers will still get access (somehow) to Season 1 without needing to pay for Prime

Presumably you can buy seaons individually and amazon lets you redeem vouchers.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Season 1 is also getting a couple episode expansion from what was originally kickstartered. Don't know if they've specifically said those are included, but it sounds like they will.

Backers also get early access to the two episode "prequel" that was the original starting goal.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah them selling out to Amazon a fortnight after being slammed for collaborating with the much-less-obviously-evil Wendy's is incredibly disappointing, especially when the whole loving point of kickstartering things like that is that you don't NEED the corporates. If you want to get a second season, loving crowdfund it again. It'll work, and the second one will probably be cheaper than the first given that you won't have to do all the startup work.

I'm SO loving disappointed with that choice.

Doubly so when most of the commentary was largely-to-entirely uncritical or celebratory.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 8, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it's kinda amazing to see people who called the Wendy's thing out celebrating 'woops turns out we sold our stuff to Amazon'. Like, I'm sure they knew after getting wasn't it literal millions for S1 they could probably do S2 just as easy.

I mean, I'm glad people I like are getting paid and I do have Prime but it's kinda wild to tell your fans they have to give such a lovely company like a hundred bucks to get your content. Couldn't even hold out for Netflix? Those guys throw money at anything.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Y'all realize Twitch is owned by Amazon right? They are moving from one Amazon platform to another.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

neaden posted:

Y'all realize Twitch is owned by Amazon right? They are moving from one Amazon platform to another.

You're not obligated to keep tying yourself to the same platform for all your output. In fact one of the benefits to getting as big as something like Critical Role is being able to make it without tying yourself to a big waving dick like Amazon.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Twitch is basically a monopoly for streaming, but you don't HAVE to go to Amazon to make a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Hey friends, I'm trying to do a small research project regarding the economic state of the tabletop RPG scene, if you're a designer of any scale, it'd be cool if you checked this out, we're already getting a lot of really useful data that I'll be analysing and sharing with the community soon.
https://twitter.com/SandyPugGames/status/1192892576392720385