Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I think it would involve an an extra hour figuring out his taxes since he was no longer a dependent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

teagone posted:

I would rather Feige stick to the MCU and not dig his claws into Star Wars tbh. Hoping his SW venture is a one-off or something. I don't want him to oversee it like he does with Marvel movies. I read somewhere Kennedy/Lucasfilm is grooming Filoni to be a main guy—or THE main guy—to oversee the big Star Wars stuff moving forward. I'd much, much rather have Filoni take on that oversight role please. Not Feige. Please not Feige. MCU can continue to be what it is and make all the the money. I just don't want Star Wars to turn into the MCU.

lol

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

You laugh now! But you won't be laughing if Feige somehow manages to weasel his way into Lucasfilm all the way to the top to oversee Star Wars movies for Disney. If that happens, then all we'll likely get is a bombardment of 20+ shared cinematic movies in the SW universe over the next 8-10 years that'll barely have any personality or distinction between them. And they will make Disney enough money to buy China.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i look forward to a x-men/avengers/star wars crossover event movie in ten years.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

teagone posted:

You laugh now! But you won't be laughing if Feige somehow manages to weasel his way into Lucasfilm all the way to the top to oversee Star Wars movies for Disney. If that happens, then all we'll likely get is a bombardment of 20+ shared cinematic movies in the SW universe over the next 8-10 years that'll barely have any personality or distinction between them. And they will make Disney enough money to buy China.

Disney Star Wars is just as stale and lifeless as the lowest common denominator of corporate standards embodied by the Disney MCU theme park films. I was laughing that you (apparently) thought otherwise.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

tylersayten posted:

Disney Star Wars is just as stale and lifeless as the lowest common denominator of corporate standards embodied by the Disney MCU theme park films. I was laughing that you (apparently) thought otherwise.

The Disney SW movies are at least distinct in their alleged badness. TFA and TLJ represent opposite ends of the filmmaking spectrum, with the latter being weird as gently caress on top of all the criticism it gets—and I like that. I'd rather have weird and potentially bad, maligned movies among corporate backed fandoms than dreck lauded for their overt blandness like most MCU movies.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The ST films are more directly analogous to the Jurassic World trilogy.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 31, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The ST films more directly analogous to the Jurassic World trilogy.

I agree with this. Except I think TLJ is great and Fallen Kingdom is hot garbage. But yeah, this is a more apt comparison when taking in a wider perspective.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the jedi: this 8 year old is too old for us to train to become a space wizard

the audience: dang, i guess they're right. he is too old to train to become a space wizard. now why isn't the character 17 years old so he's at least cool in addition to being too old to become a space wizard

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

At a minimum, you must be a hunk in order to bypass the age limit

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

ungulateman posted:

the jedi: this 8 year old is too old for us to train to become a space wizard

the audience: dang, i guess they're right. he is too old to train to become a space wizard. now why isn't the character 17 years old so he's at least cool in addition to being too old to become a space wizard

Unrelated but I love that they set up Anakin saying he feels cold on the queen's ship and then he tells Yoda the same thing during his interview and he gets wildly misinterpreted, roasted, and then psychically probed by the organization he's going to tear down in a decade

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

At a minimum, you must be a hunk in order to bypass the age limit

Like 70s Mark Hamill.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mooey Cow posted:

Allegedly the Solo directors were fired because Kasdan didn't want his precious Han Solo movie to be funny, but there were also reports that they just weren't very good at directing people.

That came from a pair of hit pieces in Vulture and THR that were very very obviously planted by Lucasfilm and/or Disney. No one has ever complained about Lord and Miller being lovely directors on any of their movies or TV shows until the Kasdans threw a tantrum because L&M were encouraging the actors to improv some dialogue and not sticking 100 percent to their script. Edit: I think Kasdan the Elder literally went to visit the set at Pinewood and started ghost directing then whined to Kennedy that the scenes weren't word-for-word what he and whatever his dumbass son's name is had written

It's not the first time Lawrence Kasdan was a pissy bitch about his writing either, he reportedly got really hacked-off about the way JJ Abrams kept on re-editing The Force Awakens until about a month before its premiere.

(Jesus it took me almost ten minutes to type this on my phone)

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 1, 2019

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It would have been good if Hayden was anakin in TPM if only to avoid the reality of Jake Lloyd getting bullied so much it destroyed his brain and childhood

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the story of an 8 year old taken away from mom is hugely different from a 17 yo

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mooey Cow posted:

Allegedly the Solo directors were fired because Kasdan didn't want his precious Han Solo movie to be funny
I still want to know how Beckett's line about hurting his thumbs got into the film because it sticks out like a, well..

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Timby posted:

That came from a pair of hit pieces in Vulture and THR that were very very obviously planted by Lucasfilm and/or Disney. No one has ever complained about Lord and Miller being lovely directors on any of their movies or TV shows until the Kasdans threw a tantrum because L&M were encouraging the actors to improv some dialogue and not sticking 100 percent to their script. Edit: I think Kasdan the Elder literally went to visit the set at Pinewood and started ghost directing then whined to Kennedy that the scenes weren't word-for-word what he and whatever his dumbass son's name is had written

It's not the first time Lawrence Kasdan was a pissy bitch about his writing either, he reportedly got really hacked-off about the way JJ Abrams kept on re-editing The Force Awakens until about a month before its premiere.

It's weird though that a writer would have that kind of sway over the movie. That's the kind of thing you might see JK Rowling do, but a screenwriter would typically get told to deal with it, unless they held some kind of rights to the property.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

given that apparently dumb and dumber (am i the first one to come up with this) were apparently going to make movies about the origin of the Jedi I'm glad they're toast. last thing in the world i'd want is them tackling something so cool and core to star wars

was hoping if they were doin anything it'd be an adaptation of Kotor or something more in their wheelhouse

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mooey Cow posted:

It's weird though that a writer would have that kind of sway over the movie. That's the kind of thing you might see JK Rowling do, but a screenwriter would typically get told to deal with it, unless they held some kind of rights to the property.

Because it's Kasdan and the one he was talking to is Kathleen Kennedy.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Ingmar terdman posted:

Unrelated but I love that they set up Anakin saying he feels cold on the queen's ship and then he tells Yoda the same thing during his interview and he gets wildly misinterpreted, roasted, and then psychically probed by the organization he's going to tear down in a decade

Also, you know, the total lack of insight into why a child slave being brought in front of a panel of powerful old men to determine his future might feel afraid.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

teagone posted:

20+ shared cinematic movies in the over the next 8-10 years that'll barely have any personality or distinction between them

You must realise that this isn't true, and that your views on the MCU are just personal preference, right?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Payndz posted:

It would also have made his building A: a sentient robot, and B: the jet-powered equivalent of a championship-winning F1 car, out of scrounged scrap a bit easier to swallow at 17 than at 8.

It's not like he invented C3PO from scratch, he comes as a kit. We're shown another mass production protocol droid in the opening sequence. Lego technic ages 9-12.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

CityMidnightJunky posted:

You must realise that this isn't true, and that your views on the MCU are just personal preference, right?

Would you say that you realize that this isn't true, and that it is just your opinion?

Here, let's fix your post according to that standard:

I think that you should consider that this could potentially not be true, because I consider your views on the MCU just personal preference. Do you think I'm right?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hodgepodge posted:

Would you say that you realize that this isn't true, and that it is just your opinion?

are you saying that teagone's statements are an objective fact?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

teagone posted:

TFA and TLJ represent opposite ends of the filmmaking spectrum

:pwn:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

teagone posted:

:agreed:

I think it would've made the bond and tragedy between Anakin and his mother even stronger if he were older. That just means he had to care for her and himself that much longer as slaves. It'd also better parallel the dogmatic "he's to old" with Luke.

that’s how I feel about it. I feel like little kids tend to deal with the loss of a parent much better than teenagers do. Anakin wasn’t even old enough for the whole reality of being a slave with a bomb in his head or whatever to even sink in, he still had his childlike wonder/irreverence to the whole thing. he was a little reluctant to leave her to become a Jedi but was mostly stoked about the whole thing, he was naive enough to think he was just gonna come back and save her and free everybody. feel like that choice would’ve been a lot more fraught and also a cause for immediately simmering conflict resentment if he had been a teen from the jump.

plus it would make the Obi-Wan/Anakin relationship issue of their relatively close ages and maturity levels more clear to the audience without requiring them to view a bunch of TV show and EU material to get it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

are you saying that teagone's statements are an objective fact?

I've never said they ever were. We're all throwing our own opinions around here.

JJ went safe. Rian went weird. That's what I'm basically saying. Most MCU films by comparison have been safe. WHICH IS FINE. But I'd prefer not everything I like to be same-y. Ya feel me?

[edit]

It's almost as if I have my own opinions. Imagine that. Some crazy notion, yeah? Lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 1, 2019

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

re: Feige I mean I don’t want to see Star Wars to become as homogenized as the MCU but one thing I feel about the MCU is that there’s a consistent level of baseline quality, coherence, planning, and respect for the source material without being completely beholden to it. I think they strike a good balance of pleasing the unwashed nerds by mining the good stuff while putting enough of their own twists on it that it’s still engaging.

if it’s a binary choice between the boring derivative mess we’ve got currently and a homogenous MCU-ized Feige led Star Wars I’d prefer the latter honestly.

I feel like if we’d started with that Feige would’ve done like with Marvel and just kept the EU around to mine for ideas and stories and poo poo to adapt. which would’ve worked better than Disney’s strategy to wipe the slate clean to “tell new stories” only to end up doing shittier narratively confused Best Value mashups of the same EU ideas.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mandrel posted:

re: Feige I mean I don’t want to see Star Wars to become as homogenized as the MCU but one thing I feel about the MCU is that there’s a consistent level of baseline quality, coherence, planning, and respect for the source material without being completely beholden to it. I think they strike a good balance of pleasing the unwashed nerds by mining the good stuff while putting enough of their own twists on it that it’s still engaging.

if it’s a binary choice between the boring derivative mess we’ve got currently and a homogenous MCU-ized Feige led Star Wars I’d prefer the latter honestly.

I feel like if we’d started with that Feige would’ve done like with Marvel and just kept the EU around to mine for ideas and stories and poo poo to adapt. which would’ve worked better than Disney’s strategy to wipe the slate clean to “tell new stories” only to end up doing shittier narratively confused Best Value mashups of the same EU ideas.

Disney's approach is still objectively good though because in not acknowledging the Holiday Special at all it remains canon.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mandrel posted:

I personally don't want to settle for a baseline quality that amounts to "just ok" with Star Wars. Keep that for the MCU, and I hope Disney keeps Feige on the MCU. What I'd like to see is Disney giving Dave Filoni creative control over Lucasfilm movie ventures. That's the best case scenario imo, not deploying the MCU formula to Star Wars.

Mandrel posted:

Everything I've read and heard has led me to believe that a majority of the Star Wars EU is poo poo.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

teagone posted:

I personally don't want to settle for a baseline quality that amounts to "just ok" with Star Wars. Keep that for the MCU, and I hope Disney keeps Feige on the MCU. What I'd like to see is Disney giving Dave Filoni creative control over Lucasfilm movie ventures. That's the best case scenario imo, not deploying the MCU formula to Star Wars.

i mean yeah i also would prefer uncompromisingly good interesting movies that meet my ideals and hopes but you and i don’t get a say in that. i’m just going off what the likely possible scenarios are given Disney’s wheelhouse of talent and decision making and I’d prefer the one that gives me more entertaining movies

don’t get me wrong I love trash movies and prefer bad-but-exciting to competent-but-boring but TLJ and Solo aren’t even like fun bad they’re just boring and forgettable and completely devoid of creativity. TFA too in retrospect, I liked it at the time when it seemed like a necessary table setting jumping off point but it’s become retroactively lamer

i have no opinion on Filoni and didn’t enjoy what ive seen of TCW show but everybody likes him so sure
that’d be cool too. but i can’t see Disney giving Kathleen Kennedy the boot for him, whereas I can for Feige

quote:

Everything I've read and heard has led me to believe that a majority of the Star Wars EU is poo poo.

so is the majority of Disney’s new canon. at least the EU was largely creative poo poo. say what you want about the Vong or those bugs or whatever but at least they were big new stories that weren’t just the Empire but Again

poo poo when the EU was doing the Empire but Still like 30 years ago at least the stakes and world building were clearly explained and coherent.

anyway to me the EU is like comic books. there’s over 30 years of it and more than one person could probably ever consume, a lot of it is trash, some of it is great, some of it (a lot of it) has interesting concepts done poorly and nobody normal is honestly that attached to the sanctity of any of it.

so why not mine the hell out of that poo poo if you don’t have any plan or new ideas yourself to bring to the table

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

teagone posted:

I personally don't want to settle for a baseline quality that amounts to "just ok" with Star Wars. Keep that for the MCU, and I hope Disney keeps Feige on the MCU. What I'd like to see is Disney giving Dave Filoni creative control over Lucasfilm movie ventures. That's the best case scenario imo, not deploying the MCU formula to Star Wars..

The baseline of quality that the current arrangement is giving us is incoherent garbage though. At least with the MCU approach we could expect relatively coherent garbage.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Was it in the EU or just a fan theory that the Emperor was obsessed with the far reaches because the sith, the race, were still out there waiting to return and that's part of the reason he was building up the empire?

I always liked the heroes were just an annoyance for the bad guys true motivations angle.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

That was the main character's backstory in KOTOR 1/2. In legends they at least floated kinda that idea for the emperor but it was wrt the yuuzhan vong and not the sith.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

You are the closest thing to an actual paid Marvel shill on these forums.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

TerminalRaptor posted:

Was it in the EU or just a fan theory that the Emperor was obsessed with the far reaches because the sith, the race, were still out there waiting to return and that's part of the reason he was building up the empire?

I always liked the heroes were just an annoyance for the bad guys true motivations angle.

yeah in the EU Palpatine was preparing for the Vong

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

In my opinion episode VIII uses more roman numeral characters than any other episode

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Ingmar terdman posted:

In my opinion episode VIII uses more roman numeral characters than any other episode

wrong bitch

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Ingmar terdman posted:

so the emperor was right? what kinda stupid poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Ammanas posted:

so the emperor was right? what kinda stupid poo poo

yeah the emperor loving loved Roman numerals