Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Turns out Unity can do a lot of dynamic volumetrric lights at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF8j1wOAzJE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KillHour posted:

Turns out Unity can do a lot of dynamic volumetrric lights at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF8j1wOAzJE

VRChat's supposed to be upgrading from Unity 2017 to 2018 sometime in the next few weeks, and I really like the look of some of the new toys it adds like orbiting particles.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

VRChat's supposed to be upgrading from Unity 2017 to 2018 sometime in the next few weeks, and I really like the look of some of the new toys it adds like orbiting particles.

Yeah, visual effect graph is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYC5yYGAN9c

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KillHour posted:

Yeah, visual effect graph is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYC5yYGAN9c

Hell, just pushing particle rendering to the GPU once and for all (if I read the patch notes correctly) is gonna be a godsend.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hell, just pushing particle rendering to the GPU once and for all (if I read the patch notes correctly) is gonna be a godsend.

If they moved everything off of shuriken to visual effect graph, the simulation should be all on the GPU. I've never used VR chat because I'm a shut-in with no friends so I assume it has generally bad performance?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

zer0spunk posted:

I would down to learn more about car repair this way, but I'm assuming it's not a very realistic sim?

Car Mechanic Simulator is great for learning the main components of a car, and how they interact.

What it doesn't simulate is shearing head bolts, replacing a rat's nest of dry-rotted vacuum lines, and troubleshooting electrical gremlins until you're ready to set the thing on fire and roll it off the edge of an abandoned quarry.

It's a hands-on exhibit at a science museum level of simulation, because simulating the ravages of 30 Pennsylvania winters on a Caprice Wagon would demand an AO rating.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's also an incredibly zen game. When I want to chill out I put on some Chuck Ragan and wrench rusty cars for an hour and it extremely does the trick

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
You guys weren't kidding about Thrill of the Fight...I'm not the gooniest goon and after a match with the Sparring Partner and a 3 rounder with the first opponent I was soaked. Also I can definitely feel it in my body today. I never boxed, but I used to practice HEMA and this feels oddly familiar, down to your head being encased in a sweaty box at the end of the match.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 31, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KillHour posted:

If they moved everything off of shuriken to visual effect graph, the simulation should be all on the GPU. I've never used VR chat because I'm a shut-in with no friends so I assume it has generally bad performance?

Not so much bad performance (though that is a factor) and more that optimization is entirely at the mercy of user-created avatars.

And I'm sure you just winced from reading that sentence.

Some people just don't get that you can achieve the same, or better, particle effects on a shorter looped lifespan with 10-100 particles that you can with 1000+. Or that the anime girl with big tits they just pulled off DeviantArt is over 500,000 polygons in size and could be safely decimated down to about 1/5th (if not further) of that with no discernible detail lost in the mesh.

For reference, an ideal optimized avatar is around the 20,000 polygon mark or under (Quest version has a hard cap on 10,000 polys). Most generally wind up okay around the 50,000-ish mark just because of clothes and props.

edit: Oh, something for RotR in H3VR: If you're stuck on the blue hive cores Reactivate all the radio towers. It nets you a consistent spawn of an underbarrel grenade launcher (:fap:). Improvised explosives won't damage them, but a single M203 grenade will pop them nicely. The grenades also stack neatly 4-deep in a pocket.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 31, 2019

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not so much bad performance (though that is a factor) and more that optimization is entirely at the mercy of user-created avatars.

And I'm sure you just winced from reading that sentence.

Some people just don't get that you can achieve the same, or better, particle effects on a shorter looped lifespan with 10-100 particles that you can with 1000+. Or that the anime girl with big tits they just pulled off DeviantArt is over 500,000 polygons in size and could be safely decimated down to about 1/5th (if not further) of that with no discernible detail lost in the mesh.

For reference, an ideal optimized avatar is around the 20,000 polygon mark or under (Quest version has a hard cap on 10,000 polys). Most generally wind up okay around the 50,000-ish mark just because of clothes and props.

edit: Oh, something for RotR in H3VR: If you're stuck on the blue hive cores Reactivate all the radio towers. It nets you a consistent spawn of an underbarrel grenade launcher (:fap:). Improvised explosives won't damage them, but a single M203 grenade will pop them nicely. The grenades also stack neatly 4-deep in a pocket.

at least VRChat lets you filter who shows up based on how optimized their avatar is

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RFC2324 posted:

at least VRChat lets you filter who shows up based on how optimized their avatar is

Ehhhh, kinda. The Trust system is targeted to annoyances rather than optimization, and is generally fantastic in that regard, but it's still not going to do squat for raw high-poly avatars unless you're just flat disabling everything outside of your friends list and maybe Known/Trusted Users (Most people around that rank generally chill out and make their own customs with some decent talent behind them, or stick to a few favourites, rather than "I FOUND THIS BIG NUISANCE THIIING IN A WORLD, LOOK AT MEEEE :byodood:").

The Safety and Trust system works by letting you set what is visible based on User Rank; Visitor, New User, User, Known User and Trusted User. Friends are a category as well, and override these (ie; people on your Friend's List). For each category you can toggle certain attributes; Voice, Avatar, Audio (animation sounds), Animations, Shaders, Particles and Lights. There's also a second set of optimization toggles in the settings menu for stuff like dynamic bones. I personally recommend just locking it down to Voice and Avatar for anyone under Known User, and leaving Shaders and Particles off for everyone across the board (aside from Friends). It gets rid of about 95% of annoyances.

There's actually also a special rank; Nuisance. You gotta really gently caress up and annoy a lot of people into blocking and reporting you to score that one, and it automatically just locks down everything on them by default. Even mutes them, I think.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ehhhh, kinda. The Trust system is targeted to annoyances rather than optimization, and is generally fantastic in that regard, but it's still not going to do squat for raw high-poly avatars unless you're just flat disabling everything outside of your friends list and maybe Known/Trusted Users (Most people around that rank generally chill out and make their own customs with some decent talent behind them, or stick to a few favourites, rather than "I FOUND THIS BIG NUISANCE THIIING IN A WORLD, LOOK AT MEEEE :byodood:").

The Safety and Trust system works by letting you set what is visible based on User Rank; Visitor, New User, User, Known User and Trusted User. Friends are a category as well, and override these (ie; people on your Friend's List). For each category you can toggle certain attributes; Voice, Avatar, Audio (animation sounds), Animations, Shaders, Particles and Lights. There's also a second set of optimization toggles in the settings menu for stuff like dynamic bones. I personally recommend just locking it down to Voice and Avatar for anyone under Known User, and leaving Shaders and Particles off for everyone across the board (aside from Friends). It gets rid of about 95% of annoyances.

There's actually also a special rank; Nuisance. You gotta really gently caress up and annoy a lot of people into blocking and reporting you to score that one, and it automatically just locks down everything on them by default. Even mutes them, I think.

I don't remember exactly where I saw it, but there is a setting to only show avatar above a certain optimization level.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

RFC2324 posted:

I don't remember exactly where I saw it, but there is a setting to only show avatar above a certain optimization level.

Yeah you can set whether "very poor" or "poor" performance class avatars will be displayed.

Also I met a goon in the pug one time by mentioning barnacle Jim, lol. Vrchat is good poo poo!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AEMINAL posted:

Yeah you can set whether "very poor" or "poor" performance class avatars will be displayed.

Also I met a goon in the pug one time by mentioning barnacle Jim, lol. Vrchat is good poo poo!

Something to keep in mind is those avatar metrics are honestly pretty broken, and the general guess is they're based on the Quest version rather than PC. Especially when there's several arbitrary things that will automatically tank your avatar to Very Poor, like using rigidbodies at all. Which almost every decent avatar creator uses for particles that aren't locked to the avatar.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

played some decent walk and puzzler on viveport for a bit and was completely thrown out by a part with a bunch of gratuitous lens flare. it's esp jarring in VR because my eyes are not cameras

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
People should use more Unreal engine and less Unity. Latter is loving terrible for performance.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I saw Superhot is in the XBox PC game pass thing, and I'd assume it wouldn't feature any VR games/VR versions of games because X-Box, but then again WMR is a thing, so... anyone know if you can play VR games via the pass?

Edit: yes I am aware that's the regular version of Superhot, before anyone points that out.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

The Fresnel lenses provide all the lens flare I need.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

People should use more Unreal engine and less Unity. Latter is loving terrible for performance.

Depends on how you use it. You can do some absolutely amazing stuff with Unity, but it also tends to attract a lot of beginner programmers that don't understand performance at all.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Unity gives you a lot of rope to hang yourself with

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KillHour posted:

Depends on how you use it. You can do some absolutely amazing stuff with Unity, but it also tends to attract a lot of beginner programmers that don't understand performance at all.

And those same people would only have more trouble in Unreal.

Just gotta accept that there isn't a big enough market for AAA development in VR for the most part, so what we get is a bunch of indies.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Onward (realisticish military shooter) is having a free weekend on Steam, and is half-price. Apparently they've improved the AI for the co-op/solo modes. I haven't messed with it since getting the Index since my gunstock was made for the Rift, but it was a fun game.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

Onward (realisticish military shooter) is having a free weekend on Steam, and is half-price. Apparently they've improved the AI for the co-op/solo modes. I haven't messed with it since getting the Index since my gunstock was made for the Rift, but it was a fun game.

Games actually good.

Def check it out. Also which gunstock? Most companies have made thingies for the index.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Unity gives you a lot of rope to hang yourself with

This is very true. I've been able to do some pretty impressive stuff with it, though - especially with their new ECS/DOTS system.

Also, speaking of bad performance, high quality volumetric lighting is too slow for my 3750k, but goddamn does it look pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqi7JyO1uV8

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 31, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Shine posted:

Onward is pretty fun and probably in my top hours played. I like the realistic gun handling and the presence of an active and pretty nontoxic PVE mode.

How does the gunstock work? I've never had a problem just pantomiming without something to shoulder and it seems like it would get in the way when you're doing non-rifle stuff.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Owlbear Camus posted:

Onward is pretty fun and probably in my top hours played. I like the realistic gun handling and the presence of an active and pretty nontoxic PVE mode.

How does the gunstock work? I've never had a problem just pantomiming without something to shoulder and it seems like it would get in the way when you're doing non-rifle stuff.

Most you can drop in and out of for pistols and stuff. I personally don't enjoy mine (either actually have both mamuts), and its nto the product itself. I just dont like fiddling with things in VR like that. I end up never dropping back into it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Truga posted:

most vr games run great on a gtx970, so with a beefy gpu it's not gonna be a big deal

It's a toss up because VR titles tend to go for the minimal look to make it easier to drive frames, but 2 4K panels is going to be pretty taxing.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

EbolaIvory posted:

Games actually good.

Def check it out. Also which gunstock? Most companies have made thingies for the index.

I forget, but it was basically the ProTube except some US company.

I just ordered the universal Mamut one with the magnets for the Index. My gripe with my old stock was that it got in the way of reloading (since the stock frame was under the controllers) so I'm hoping the Mamut is better in that respect.

Personally, I much prefer VR rifles with a stock, and a magnet-based seems like it'll work much better than the old cup ones.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Time to shill my design again (not actually a stock, just a foregrip)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3898004

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Speaking of, what's the best gun stock for a VIVE?

I just found this thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhEv50RptuU
and it looks insanely slick

But I wonder if a cheap 3d tube stock woudn't be fine since you're in VR anyways...

Those magnet mounts look really really nice though. Ah gently caress its $170 though. Hmmm. Gotta find the sweet spot for cost, I would love something magnetic....

sigher posted:

It's a toss up because VR titles tend to go for the minimal look to make it easier to drive frames, but 2 4K panels is going to be pretty taxing.

That's also just a crazy amount of bandwidth just to push the pixels, they max at 75hz and I wonder if 8k75 isn't like, hitting the maximum that displayport can handle

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 1, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just got these in:

I like them better than the Mamut's I have for the sake that I can change the god drat batteries without having to remove them. Not sure if I have the top part on right, but it works well.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Zaphod42 posted:

But I wonder if a cheap 3d tube stock woudn't be fine since you're in VR anyways...

With more folks doing streamed mixed reality stuff I guess there’s a market for stuff that has a visual aesthetic for a spectator.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

sigher posted:

Just got these in:

I like them better than the Mamut's I have for the sake that I can change the god drat batteries without having to remove them. Not sure if I have the top part on right, but it works well.

Is this turning your touch controllers into a poor man’s index controllers? Do share the experience and where you got them... please!

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

theBeaz posted:

Is this turning your touch controllers into a poor man’s index controllers? Do share the experience and where you got them... please!

Pretty sure he's using these:
https://www.amazon.com/KIWI-design-...rd_i=B07XYYNXJ3

There's also the Mamut Grips and some random 3d printed designs on Etsy. The ones I linked to on Amazon are the cheapest I've seen though, and most people seem to like them. I've been eyeing them myself.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yeah, those are the ones I got, they work really well so far. Considering how drat cheap they are compared to $40 Mamuts they're definitely better.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jammed this out in a couple hours for fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckVU2p78i-s

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I like the amvr grips more than the mamut one but ymmv.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
So I just picked up a cosmos - It works fine with viveport, then trying to install the software it goes up to "Installing Steam" then hangs. I've made sure steam isn't running - do I actually have to uninstall steam to get this rolling? I'd rather not have to redownload a bunch of games just to get this up but if that's what it takes, I will. I let it sit there for 40~ minutes multiple times but nothing seems to work.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Mulloy posted:

So I just picked up a cosmos - It works fine with viveport, then trying to install the software it goes up to "Installing Steam" then hangs. I've made sure steam isn't running - do I actually have to uninstall steam to get this rolling? I'd rather not have to redownload a bunch of games just to get this up but if that's what it takes, I will. I let it sit there for 40~ minutes multiple times but nothing seems to work.

... Why? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
Why do I not want to redownload or why did I get a cosmos? I have a space where not needing lighthouses is beneficial, and I really liked my vive when I had it. As for games it;s just a time thing. I can queue them all up tomorrow but I wasn't sure if that was a necessary step.