Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Hurry up and ban Rampaging Ferocidon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Wait, so they're saying they could announce Pioneer bans on any Monday starting 11/4? That seems pretty bad for players who want to invest in a deck in the format.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

qbert posted:

Wait, so they're saying they could announce Pioneer bans on any Monday starting 11/4? That seems pretty bad for players who want to invest in a deck in the format.

They announced at the start of the format they were going to be aggressive with ban schedules and you should not "invest" in the format until it stabilizes.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

qbert posted:

Bannings happening soon was stated when they announced the format. "investing" in a deck has always been a risk. If you didn't want to invest in banned cards you shouldn't invest in pioneer at all until things settle down.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Sickening posted:

Bannings happening soon was stated when they announced the format. "investing" in a deck has always been a risk. If you didn't want to invest in banned cards you shouldn't invest in pioneer at all until things settle down.

Got it, but I interpreted what they said as "We're probably gonna start banning cards pretty soon, like within a couple weeks of Pioneer going live" as opposed to "we're gonna ban cards every 7 days for the first couple months, have fun playing the deck lottery!"

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

qbert posted:

Got it, but I interpreted what they said as "We're probably gonna start banning cards pretty soon, like within a couple weeks of Pioneer going live" as opposed to "we're gonna ban cards every 7 days for the first couple months, have fun playing the deck lottery!"

You interpreted it correctly; their statement was an affirmation of WHEN bans will occur, not an affirmation that they WILL.

There's nothing truly broken yet in the format outside of Copycat or Leyline.dec sometimes just randomly winning on T3, so i'd expect a lot of the early changes to be complete blanks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
most eye opening thing about pioneer so far is just how much weaker the delve card draw spells are without fetches

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
The only thing a smart person should have invested in was the recent dual lands when they were $2-$3. I finished off all my playsets of the check lands around rotation for about $2 each.

Also get a playset of vraskas contempt while they’re still $2. I doubt they’ll hit $12 again but in a format with 25 gods and some busted rear end planeswalkers they’re gonna be very necessary at some point.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I rue missing out on the checkland and carnage tyrwnt window. Also history of benalia probably

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Skyl3lazer posted:

lol wotc just announced they're going to do the first pioneer bans on Monday (instead of waiting for the next B&R), love to have a pissing contest between hasbro and scg

....okay if there's something that needs to be banned on Monday, then it should have been banned alongside the Fetches. It'll have been what, 12 days of Leagues and two Challenges of information? Like yeah Cruise and Dig are stupid, but they're obviously stupid, so not sure what data they're looking at.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Hellsau posted:

....okay if there's something that needs to be banned on Monday, then it should have been banned alongside the Fetches. It'll have been what, 12 days of Leagues and two Challenges of information? Like yeah Cruise and Dig are stupid, but they're obviously stupid, so not sure what data they're looking at.

I don't think Cruise and/or Dig will get banned. Most likely candidates for me are the cat, Oko, maybe Nykthos.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Nykthos is not the most broken card in that green deck, since all of its starts without Leyline are just mediocre.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The American Dream posted:

Also get a playset of vraskas contempt while they’re still $2. I doubt they’ll hit $12 again but in a format with 25 gods and some busted rear end planeswalkers they’re gonna be very necessary at some point.

They're playing around in that design space so much I don't know if Vraska's Contempt is going to be the defacto removal spell of that effect for too long, but seems like a good buy in the meantime.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Hellsau posted:

They banned fetches because that was the design goal of the format. Whathisface head of R&D even came out and said they didn't even try to test it; more man-hours of a set/format get played within a day of it's release than their entire development cycle, so yeah, 12 days of info is markedly more than they would have had at the outset.

Is this the best way to do it? :shrug: From a metagame standpoint, probably. Overall, no idea. It makes buying anything a gamble but they were up front as can be about that. In a smarter market the risk would have been tempered into the prices, but MTG speculators are anything but smart.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

LifeLynx posted:

They're playing around in that design space so much I don't know if Vraska's Contempt is going to be the defacto removal spell of that effect for too long, but seems like a good buy in the meantime.

I feel like rider might slot in almost as well as if not better than vraksa's, especially if they keep printing nutso 3 CMC walkers.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"Bannings happening soon" could just as easily have meant "we'll almost certainly be banning stuff in the first regularly-scheduled B&R update after the format goes live". I'm pretty sure that's what everyone assumed, anyway, since there was absolutely no indication that they meant anything else.

If they meant something different from the start, why not say that? Why only bring it up after a major tournament says "hey standard sucks, we're switching our big event to pioneer instead"?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Jabor posted:

"Bannings happening soon" could just as easily have meant "we'll almost certainly be banning stuff in the first regularly-scheduled B&R update after the format goes live". I'm pretty sure that's what everyone assumed, anyway, since there was absolutely no indication that they meant anything else.

If they meant something different from the start, why not say that? Why only bring it up after a major tournament says "hey standard sucks, we're switching our big event to pioneer instead"?

They did say that.

"In the interim, as this is a new format, we'll be watching it closely at its inception and banning cards on off-cycle dates. We'll be using Magic Online for data gathering and will be willing to ban cards if they are problematic early on."

From the announcement of its creation.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I assumed it meant they would immediately start banning stuff that got out of hand :shrug:. I mean, they even specifically said that they would ban things off schedule, so I’m not sure why you would assume the first bans would be on-schedule.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ShaneB posted:

IMO there are 3 cards that are conceivably bannable if behind the scenes on mtgo the decks that leverage them have 60% winrates. I sincerely hope they don't ban anything yet.

Nykthos
Dig/Cruise
Rai/Felidar

The end.

I haven’t been following Pioneer, can you speak on Nykthos?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

fadam posted:

I haven’t been following Pioneer, can you speak on Nykthos?

There's a mono-G deck that plays Leyline of Abundance, from M20, alongside Nykthos and Burning-Tree Emissary.

It's not an every game thing, but the decks can do crazy things like:

T0 Leyline
T1 Forest, Elvish Mystic
T2 Burning-Tree Emissary, Nykthos (5 devotion), WAR Nissa
T3 Infinity mana and like 5 creatures, plus Leyline's activated ability.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Niton posted:

There's a mono-G deck that plays Leyline of Abundance, from M20, alongside Nykthos and Burning-Tree Emissary.

It's not an every game thing, but the decks can do crazy things like:

T0 Leyline
T1 Forest, Elvish Mystic
T2 Burning-Tree Emissary, Nykthos (5 devotion), WAR Nissa
T3 Infinity mana and like 5 creatures, plus Leyline's activated ability.

Hmmm sounds right up my alley, you got a list?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Niton posted:

If it gets banned, it probably will be not just for that deck, but its potential ceiling of doing broken things. Nykthos in general did some crazy poo poo when it was in Standard.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah I think Wizards is fine not having any lands in Pioneer that can make 2+ mana, after how Tron has been a mainstay in Modern since day 1.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 1, 2019

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Nykthos is just the big Mana deck. It's sweet but maybe doing stuff that's too hard to interact with.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Framboise posted:

I think Brawl could piggyback off Pioneer's popularity surge and be way better for it. A bigger card pool that doesn't rotate could make for a more diverse selection of commanders with less of the busted stuff that drives people away from commander.

if i cant play my omnath deck that ive lovingly sculpted out of absolute trash and ten good cards over seven years brawl can go gently caress itself

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Owlbear Camus posted:

Primarilly a drug/convenience store. Pick up your prescriptions and a stick of deodorant, grab a thing of chips on your way out kind of deal. They have a toy aisle with a small selection overpriced toys for your kids to nag you into buying while you do so, which includes bubble-carded boosters and planeswalker decks.

Ah i see, sometimes book stores carry poo poo like this, tho magic is rare

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Anyone see any cool Magic-related Halloween costumes? I keep wanting to make my fiance and myself Magic card armor but who has that time.

https://twitter.com/_Elantris_/status/1189957710332055552?s=19

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Its crazy how new ways of leak poo poo keeps happening

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Pioneer has been cool and fun and I've played about a hundred or so games. There isn't any reason to bad any cards. I got smoked my aggro, beaten by midrange and rage quit control.

The variety has been great and nothing has been overpowering. Banning cards is the worst way to start off this format.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I've been farming the Green Devotion decks with some of the more controlling builds of Copycat. They struggle with sweepers and having a combo kill invalidates their ongoing PW pressure after you sweep up their fast start's big board.

Currently I'm on a Fae Fires build but I'm struggling with coming up with a comprehensive plan against control, and it feels pretty coinflippy and maybe slightly disadvantaged against 4c Cat Pact.

I think there is quite possibly a broken copycat build out there, but I don't think the default 4c or Jeskai builds are it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

LifeLynx posted:

Anyone see any cool Magic-related Halloween costumes? I keep wanting to make my fiance and myself Magic card armor but who has that time.

https://twitter.com/_Elantris_/status/1189957710332055552?s=19

wearing shoes, 1/10 costume

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MikeCrotch posted:

wearing shoes, 1/10 costume

don't be gross

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Everyone on this terrible Facebook group about pioneer says 3 mana teferi is going to get banned, why is the average magic player so bad?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

Everyone on this terrible Facebook group about pioneer says 3 mana teferi is going to get banned, why is the average magic player so bad?

i think pioneer would be better with like 30 cards banned, including all the stupid three mana planeswalkers

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Mezzanon posted:

That facebook group is horrible and I have no idea why anybody wouldn't be on the subreddit or at least the main discord by now.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mezzanon posted:

because they're emotionally invested in being smart and can't critically analyze their behavior, meaning they'll never improve at anything they think they know about

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

That facebook group is horrible and I have no idea why anybody wouldn't be on the subreddit or at least the main discord by now.

I’m way too lazy to use reddit or discord and I am excited for my upcoming banning from this dumb Facebook group

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

rabidsquid posted:

they'll never improve at anything they think they know about
Give it time, they'll have their November 2016 moment someday.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

rabidsquid posted:

because they're emotionally invested in being smart

This is the real issue with magic analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mezzanon posted:

I mean...I would be fine with that. I'm getting very tired of playing against it. But compared to some much more annoying poo poo...it can live for now.

Could we try posting our top 3 what we would like to see banned?