Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Yeah Jak 1 has a mining level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I looked at walkthroughs for Cult and Cult II and none of the plot points seem familiar, but that's exactly the art style I remember. I'm not sure if I'm getting elements of a different game mixed up with it or maybe some of the same devs worked on a different game. Thanks for the lead!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rookersh posted:

Here's one I'm struggling to figure out.

All I remember is you fall into an old mine/cave. Very Spyro looking crystals everywhere, being mined out. I remember it as being either part of Jak 1, or around that era, so 2001ish.

After you fall into the mine, it's got a little hub area? maybe? and then you take a minecart around and you have a minecart sequence. You maybe collect stuff above the minecart by jumping.

I could have sworn it was Jak 1, but no dice. It's not Jak 2/3 because it wasn't an "edgy" game, it was a light hearted game in those veins.

I was thinking maybe Ratchet and Clank, but no dice there either. You do "fall into" this mine from above, and it was a fairly linear game.

Am I crazy? Is this Jak 1. What's happening.

Maybe Haven or Kya or one of the multitude of Jak clones.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rookersh posted:

All I remember is you fall into an old mine/cave. Very Spyro looking crystals everywhere, being mined out. I remember it as being either part of Jak 1, or around that era, so 2001ish.

After you fall into the mine, it's got a little hub area? maybe? and then you take a minecart around and you have a minecart sequence. You maybe collect stuff above the minecart by jumping.

I could have sworn it was Jak 1, but no dice. It's not Jak 2/3 because it wasn't an "edgy" game, it was a light hearted game in those veins.

I was thinking maybe Ratchet and Clank, but no dice there either. You do "fall into" this mine from above, and it was a fairly linear game.

Were you a crocodile? Because then it's Croc: Legend of the Gobbos

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rookersh posted:

Almost certainly not it, but I distinctly remember falling into areas in Croc or Croc 2.
There were Spyro ish gems around as well. I don't recall a mine cart but I've only ever played the demos of them

Edit: Beaten by someone from the future

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

elf help book posted:

Yeah Jak 1 has a mining level.

To elaborate, the third hub is the inside of an inactive volcano, if you go up you go to the snowy mountain area, and if you go down it's into the place where they mine Dark Eco. To get to the mine from the hub you hop across multiple minecarts which also have stuff floating above them to collect (I wouldn't really call it a sequence, though). The mine area itself is filled with pools of black goo, spiders, and giant worms coming in and out of little holes.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Maybe Banjo-Tooie's mine level?

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Hey, I'm trying to remember a PC game that's maybe 20 years old.

You control a squadron of space ships, the graphics are super simple so each space ship is basically a triangle.

What's interesting about the game though is that's it's sort of turn based.
You click on a ship and drag a line that it will follow, how far it goes and how hard it turns depends on the ship type I believe and you can chose to fire a missile if you want, then you click a button and it plays out for a few seconds before you do it again.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KpC0Fsm1vk

Audio might be a little loud

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Awesome, thanks!

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Rookersh posted:

My mind goes to Haven: Call of the King, but I've only seen the first thirty minutes or so of it and there might be something like that

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
There's a game I've been trying to find:

It was a RPG type game for the PC, maybe mid to late 90ies.

The basic plot from what I remember is that your main guy character is some space explorer or space soldier man that crash lands his ship on this jungle planet that's full of lion people.
The lion people are a lot less advanced technologically, maybe iron age, so they still fight with spears and whatnot. Your party would have multiple members and they have their own equipment. Main guy would have his laser gun and a later lion party member person would use a spear or something.

The mechanics I remember is that it had an isometric overworld with towns that you could explore (with random encounters maybe?) as well as dungeon maps that you would explore from a first person perspective (think dungeons of dredmor-ish). In the first person dungeons enemies would just run up to you to start encounters. I remember always getting startled by velociraptors sneaking up on you.
I think the actual encounters were turn based?
Aside from that, I think most enemies were just dinosaurs?

Any clue?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

That sounds like Albion.

https://www.gog.com/game/albion

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Holy poo poo, thank you, it's been forever and I always wanted to play and finish it some day.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I'm speculating now because I haven't actually played any of these, but maybe Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns or its sequel?

I...think you might have it there!

Jinkeez posted:

Could you be thinking of Hinterland?

It's not this one, this is far too new.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Zwiebel posted:

Holy poo poo, thank you, it's been forever and I always wanted to play and finish it some day.

If you do end up replaying it, don't be like me and forget that auto-saves weren't a thing back in those days. I started replaying it, then lost a fight several hours into the game without having saved even once. Save often!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

AG3 posted:

If you do end up replaying it, don't be like me and forget that auto-saves weren't a thing back in those days. I started replaying it, then lost a fight several hours into the game without having saved even once. Save often!

Thats me playing through the Mass Effect games a few years back. I forgot how brutal the autosaves were in the first one

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Far as I can remember 30 years ago, the game has you starting outside of what looks like part of some massive castle and with a bird's eye view. There is some monster that shows up rather quickly to kill you if you take your time. I have yet to leave the screen that I spawn on and there were a couple moving objects I couldn't recognize. I am pretty sure it is an Atari game that may be the 2600.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Far as I can remember 30 years ago, the game has you starting outside of what looks like part of some massive castle and with a bird's eye view. There is some monster that shows up rather quickly to kill you if you take your time. I have yet to leave the screen that I spawn on and there were a couple moving objects I couldn't recognize. I am pretty sure it is an Atari game that may be the 2600.

Adventure (yes the title is that generic), maybe?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The part about a monster showing up to kill you if you don't keep moving makes me think of Evil Otto from Berserk.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Tricky, because neither Adventure nor Berzerk 2600 on default settings have any "monster appears to hunt you down" on the first screen. You had to enable Evil Otto by default, and Adventure starts with a castle gate and a key and maybe a bat... but the bat can only carry off items.

Also, Adventure lets you leave the first screen by just wandering off the bottom.

But just in case, here are some screenshots:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Scalding Coffee posted:

Slightly off but Another World?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Maybe can help me:
Arcade Shmup around '94
Either player 1 or player 2's bomb made big glowing (blue?) cracks appear on the ground when it went off.
Thought it was Raiden 2 for ages but it's not it, but I think it did have a wiggly toothpaste laser in it like Raiden's purple laser, I think.
I've played all the Raiden games since then and it isn't any of them.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Flannelette posted:

Maybe can help me:
Arcade Shmup around '94
Either player 1 or player 2's bomb made big glowing (blue?) cracks appear on the ground when it went off.
Thought it was Raiden 2 for ages but it's not it, but I think it did have a wiggly toothpaste laser in it like Raiden's purple laser, I think.

Varth?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Nah, but it was around that time or a little later.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Flannelette posted:

Maybe can help me:
Arcade Shmup around '94

Daioh? It's got a wiggly toothpaste laser (what a great description btw) but the bomb don't quite match your description.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

Daioh? It's got a wiggly toothpaste laser (what a great description btw) but the bomb don't quite match your description.

Yeah I think that's it thanks.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Looking for an FMV game, it would be a pretty early one from when FMV games first started being a thing. The opening credits sequence had a woman in business attire walking through a city, and periodically she'd stop to bend over and rip a strip of flesh from her foot/ankle and eat it. I don't think it was a horror game, just weird as hell for the sake of being weird.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

This might be the reverse of what this thread is for, but does anyone remember a Myst-like called Majestic set on some sort of space cruise ship? It was definitely not Starship Titanic.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Captain Foo posted:

This might be the reverse of what this thread is for, but does anyone remember a Myst-like called Majestic set on some sort of space cruise ship? It was definitely not Starship Titanic.

https://youtu.be/SANz4as-vKw

It's striking how aesthetically similar it is to Starship Titanic.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Lotion Tester posted:

Looking for an FMV game, it would be a pretty early one from when FMV games first started being a thing. The opening credits sequence had a woman in business attire walking through a city, and periodically she'd stop to bend over and rip a strip of flesh from her foot/ankle and eat it. I don't think it was a horror game, just weird as hell for the sake of being weird.

I looked but couldn't find anything fitting this description. Anything else you can remember to help place this (other games from same era, boxart visuals, more game details, etc.)?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Trying to find a futuristic flight sim I played a demo of back in the 90's. From what I recall you flew some kind of VTOL vehicle around an industrial city at night time. I remember the city had these big bright circular lights everywhere, as well as lots of factories. It was a 3D game with simple but quite nice-looking polygonal graphics, and a kind of purple/black colour scheme, I think?

I wish I could remember more about it. I think I actually played it off a PC mag demo disk sometime around 95/96, and it might have in fact been more of a tech demo type thing, so who knows if it was even released as an actual game.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I think I had the same PC Gamer/Zone.My memory of playing it puts the demo at 94 but wiki says it was released in 95. Darker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmV3QhcRQvg

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 18, 2019

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

ErrEff posted:

I looked but couldn't find anything fitting this description. Anything else you can remember to help place this (other games from same era, boxart visuals, more game details, etc.)?

I don't remember much else, I was pretty young when I played it at a friend's house and never saw the box. There was no real user interface and barely any gameplay, just a multiple choice thing in the vein of Plumbers Don't Wear Ties. That weirdass intro is the only thing I really remember from it, because it was just so fuckin' weird.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Chubby Henparty posted:

I think I had this same PC Gamer/Zone. my memory puts the demo at 94 but wiki says it was released in 95. Darker:

Yep, that's exactly the one. That was surprisingly fast! Figured it'd be as obscure as hell.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Belated thanks to everyone who tried my question, no joy though. An important thing is that the alien was shaking an in-game camera, not just the character's view

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Flannelette posted:

Yeah I think that's it thanks.

:hfive: I fuckin' love this game.

If you want, it got a sorta sequel/remake that got released in the US as Gekioh: Shooting King with a massive amount of extra features/bonus modes etc. great stuff. It was a PS1 game but it came out on the PS3 too as a PS1 Classic and I remember could run on the PSP also so it should still be easy to get going on something.

Splicer posted:

Belated thanks to everyone who tried my question, no joy though. An important thing is that the alien was shaking an in-game camera, not just the character's view

This sounds like something that would happen in like Stupid Invaders or Space Station Silicon Valley.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Drunk in Space posted:

Trying to find a futuristic flight sim I played a demo of back in the 90's. From what I recall you flew some kind of VTOL vehicle around an industrial city at night time. I remember the city had these big bright circular lights everywhere, as well as lots of factories. It was a 3D game with simple but quite nice-looking polygonal graphics, and a kind of purple/black colour scheme, I think?

I wish I could remember more about it. I think I actually played it off a PC mag demo disk sometime around 95/96, and it might have in fact been more of a tech demo type thing, so who knows if it was even released as an actual game.

1997's G-Police?

moller fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 18, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Drunk in Space posted:

It sounds a lot like G-Police like moller mentions, but if that's not it I'd also look at the 3DO game Blade Force.

THERE WAS ALSO a 3DO and I think PC tech demo of a game like both of those. I remember handling a promotional comic book for it and everything You played as a woman flying around in "some kind of VTOL vehicle," like literally it was like...a platform with a guardrail and a gun on it? :wtc: Just a really goofy thing like the old Fantasticar or something. But you were flying through a similarly purple/black pretty nice looking sci-fi dystopia and the goal was to hurt corporations by destroying advertisements. I want to say this was meant to be a VR game, from like 1996/7. I forget if it was released or not and it might even have like, become Blade Force or G-Police or something.

I can't remember what it was called though so my post is double useless in this thread lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Thanks guys, but Chubby Henparty already answered. It was a Psygnosis game called 'Darker.'

Chubby Henparty posted:

I think I had the same PC Gamer/Zone.My memory of playing it puts the demo at 94 but wiki says it was released in 95. Darker:

edit: I found an old longplay series from 2008 with less-poo poo framerate (though poo poo video resolution, unsurprisingly for a 10+ year old Youtube vid), showing more fluid gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPX8qMZlGDk

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 18, 2019