Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
KCD is actually quite good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

tak posted:

KCD is actually quite good

They go well with expensive coffee machines.

http://www.kcdus.com/

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

trucutru posted:

Demon Souls is both a hard game and a game where death means nothing.

I don't want to start the done-to-death difficulty argument or anything, but when anyone mentions Souls on the internet it universally means "games that are impossible unless you're a real gamer like me :smug:".

You might as well include terms like "filthy casual" right alongside it. It's kind of lovely that the broad cultural legacy of those wonderful games is a meme about being unfun but that's the internet.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

trucutru posted:

Demon Souls is both a hard game and a game where death means nothing.
Compared to most games, death in demon's souls matters more than usual. Even in dark souls without world tendency it still does because you lose human status and can lose liquid humanity+souls if you don't get your bloodstain back. These are not big things but most modern games, you just go back to a checkpoint or save and don't lose anything at all.

Patrat posted:

Also since it is Halloween, here is my spooky cat tax. She breaks mugs then poses like this, scary stuff:

she's halloween colored!

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

SoftNum posted:

Just for funsies:

Camelot Unchained is technically in alpha, and is something on the order of four years late. the latest update talks about 6 engineers looking at pathfinding code.
Ashes is dead afaik.
Elyria is still vaoprware but realistically it's only been 3 years. OFC that's still 2 years late but.
Crowfall seems to exist? It's like 4 or 5 years late but maybe there will be a game?
Repopulation apparently dumped poo poo alpha out the door in 2016 and nobody has heard from them since. You can go buy it EA on steam.
TUG was abandoned in 2017 and became a chinese mobile game.
Embers is SUPER dead. like they don't even own the domain for the last 5 years dead.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2015/12/certain-customers-spell-doom-for-new-products/

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

As much as we poke fun at Lethality, and as dumb as he actually is, the reality is that MMO's are a bad and dead genre. It's not hard to pick only losers in a field with 100% losers all the time

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mailer posted:

I don't want to start the done-to-death difficulty argument or anything, but when anyone mentions Souls on the internet it universally means "games that are impossible unless you're a real gamer like me :smug:".

You might as well include terms like "filthy casual" right alongside it. It's kind of lovely that the broad cultural legacy of those wonderful games is a meme about being unfun but that's the internet.

I mean, the games aren't actually that hard (36% of players got the achievement for finishing Dark Souls, which is pretty high) but that's their legacy indeed. Mostly because hard games and genres (bullet hell and such) are not particularly popular.

Then again, I play roguelikes, which pretty often just insta-gently caress you so I'm not the most appropriate person to talk about difficulty. Filthy Casuals.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
A work buddy that defended the trash that SC is the last years, mailed me that he deinstalled the PTU, because caves are boring and there is like no progress at all.
Oh, you don't say?!
We got into an argument mid 2015, and 50+ months later he admitted that Chris Roberts is a fraud and liar and SC is falling more and more behind compared to the recent and coming AAA games technically. Goons knew that like years ago, but hey, another one saw the lies, I mean lights.

Speaking of wake up: I suggested him to try out No Mans Sky, and interestingly, I stumbled upon a former Cultist that woke up and praised No Mans Sky, I gotta share this

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/d2kmrg/a_former_star_citizen_fanboy_realizes_the_error/

"Wow, what an amazing 80 hours it's been so far!

A little back story on my NMS journey...

I was a hardcore NMS hater back in the early to mid days of the game.I was also a hardcore Star Citizen fanboy, and I harshly criticized any and all NMS related content without ever having tried the game. Star Citizen was going to eclipse NMS ten fold, and it was going to blow every other space game out of the water. Squadron 42 (the single player story driven part of the game) was supposed to be just months away...or so we were told...

Anybody who has followed Star Citizen knows how development has "progressed" over the past 7 years. That is to say it's glacial and the "game" has a community that truly lives up to its "cult-like" reputation. I'm ashamed to admit I was one of those people. I shouted down any criticism of the game and buried my head in the sand...surely they just needed to finish that one crucial piece of tech and the development would speed way up! Nope. But I was intentionally ignorant.

Over the last year or so, my interest/confidence in the development of Star Citizen had waned dramatically. Forbes published a pretty scathing article about Cloud Imperium Games and its finances which really shook my confidence. There have been delays on top of delays and constant feature creep. I finally had enough.

About a month ago, when the Beyond update released, I picked up NMS on Steam for 50% off and said, "Screw it. I'm going to give this game a shot."
Boy am I glad I did because it has EVERYTHING and more that I wanted from Star Citizen. There is just SO much to do and explore.

So far I've watched many YouTube tutorials and have built out my fleet. I found that sweet S-Class 48/8 hauler, an S-Class 38/12 fighter as well as an S-Class exotic. Just last week I scored a nice 32 slot A-Class freighter and have started building out my frigate fleet.

TLDR; I bashed/ignored an amazing game for years because I had my head buried too deep in the Star Citizen hype train (the ride never ends)."

Funnily, the "hit piece" of Forbes obviously had some impact.
I for one can't wait for the new fake videos and lies at Citizencon and all the poor idiots that still live in denial and defend this fiasco.
It won't stop more and more Cultists waking up.

If you haven't played No Mans Sky for some time or even ever, it is a drat fine space exploration game that redeemed itself (after similiar lies btw) since launch in summer 2016, and it wipes the floor with the crappy, instable and content empty PTU of that amateur disaster from Clown Imperium Games.

While Star Sitizen made ridiculous little steps of "progress" the last 36 months, Hellogames pumped 3 major content updates within 3 years into their release disaster and it became an amazing and beautiful, chlling piece of game.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 1, 2019

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also! as a 90s fighting game fan, I know what true masochism is. Hello Kaiser Knuckle!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

As much as we poke fun at Lethality, and as dumb as he actually is, the reality is that MMO's are a bad and dead genre. It's not hard to pick only losers in a field with 100% losers all the time

Yeah the genre never recovered from its late 2000's implosion. Now its just the rotting corpses of failed crowdfunded pipe-dreams and lovely F2P cash grabs.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

SoftNum posted:

I also constantly question if "excellent English" is UK for "Whites only" because of course it would be.

Eh, er, roight me lover.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

I'm sure more talented goons than I can do better :v:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: Inside Star Citizen - The EZ-Hab of Horror!

:five::five::five:

This is the kind of full-on commitment to cringe we haven’t seen in years. Lando embraces the kind of “only for the fans” cultish goofiness that’s sure to convince casual tirekickers that, “uh, this looks like a game for crazy people.”

I remember when ATV hit episode 100 and Lando started warning that CIG was going to be entering a new era of professionalism, as befit their maturity as a company. They needed to start appealing to broader audiences. And for a good stretch, that’s what they gave us. Slick, content deep, multi-studio discussions of crap now long forgotten. But at least for today, the whack is back! (So make sure to savor every painful minute of it...)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

I've heard many times of americans being shocked with UK working conditions. 4 weeks paid holiday, additional sick days, "sickies" (everyone pulls one or two a year), and of course, the traditional 2 hour long Friday pub lunch (or as it was in my case, the Monday to Friday 2 hour long pub lunch).

Back in the 1970s, the tea break would have people down tools. But I take the point. The banter level of the UK workforce would shock Americans, however.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SoftNum posted:

I also constantly question if "excellent English" is UK for "Whites only" because of course it would be.

That part of England gives rise to the robust Liverpudlian accent, the muscular Mancunian brogue and the quite frankly superior and odd pronunciation of my people; the five towns known as Stoke-on-Trent. Cheshire’s in the middle and remains confused.

But you’re probably right. Stoke has become a darwinist nightmare of Leavers.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

colonelwest posted:

Yeah the genre never recovered from its late 2000's implosion. Now its just the rotting corpses of failed crowdfunded pipe-dreams and lovely F2P cash grabs.

MMOs kind of suffer from being service games in a world where now everything is a service game. I wouldn't say they're dead so much as the concept of EQ/WoW is dead. Turns out when you give people the option to enjoy co-op play but not have the poopsocking requirement they're happier. Inexplicably you can grow a community better without the kind of shitlords that those sorts of time requirements generate. I don't know if you'd classify Warframe as an MMO, but I think that's a good reference point for where the industry went.

Thankfully this is another thing Chris Roberts will save and all the citizens will know that they bought earned that Idris while us plebs are slowly loading one space rock at a time onto our small rented ships after mining a cave.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Quavers posted:

I'm sure more talented goons than I can do better :v:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

I’m waiting for someone to come dogpile you with the truth bombs that the far-east MMOs are making more money than ever, but the Western world has titrated out of its life replacement games because we have more and varied content than we’ve had previously. It’s startling to see.

But from what I’ve read of spatialOS is that it’s quite close to what Ci!G is attempting to jam into Lumberyard, and they have some of the same deadlock issues.

Henry Scorpio
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it just collapsed on its own?

Pixelate posted:

I thought network guys were gold dust? Isn't a £40k baseline offer a bit lowball for a senior position?

(Also that position says applications were by June latest. At least just put up a fresh ad like the old days. Recruitment guy needs better coffee.)

I've always wondered why salaries in the UK were so much less than the US. Briefly thought it would be cool to work for Frontier on Elite, but then saw their salaries...

I know there are cost of living differences, cheaper healthcare, universities, etc. but does that really account for the $100k+ USD difference? If there is a shortage of talent how are the salaries so low...

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Hav posted:

That part of England gives rise to the robust Liverpudlian accent, the muscular Mancunian brogue and the quite frankly superior and odd pronunciation of my people; the five towns known as Stoke-on-Trent. Cheshire’s in the middle and remains confused.

But you’re probably right. Stoke has become a darwinist nightmare of Leavers.

That part of England also managed to turn a really nice set of alloy wheels I had into currency to barter a quantity of class A recreational nose powder and then, almost immediately, get caught by the old bill. It all happened in less than 20 minutes and the first I knew of it was seeing my pride and joy sat on a load of poorly constructed concrete block axle stands. :(

I waited weeks to get those wheels back from the police and had to drive my (at the time) brand new rx8 all the way home with loaner alloys that were scuffed and curbed to fuckery. The thing I did find funny though and what is relevant to the above post, is that part of England cannot understand my southern celtic ramblings but I can understand their 'English' just fine. :shrug: Brogues and accents are strange things.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Henry Scorpio posted:

I've always wondered why salaries in the UK were so much less than the US. Briefly thought it would be cool to work for Frontier on Elite, but then saw their salaries...

I know there are cost of living differences, cheaper healthcare, universities, etc. but does that really account for the $100k+ USD difference? If there is a shortage of talent how are the salaries so low...

The US is a place where a well paid lawyer thinks they can only barely get by because healthcare, education, etc is so expensive. Major medical emergencies are not nearly guaranteed to end with a GoFundMe or medical bankruptcy.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Henry Scorpio posted:

A lot of Brits will happily work for a lot less than industry standard wages in pretty much any occupation, which lowers the industry standard wage for everyone else in the country and employers are all too quick to pay as low as they can get away with.

The UK has always been a lovely place for good wages, unless you're doing some really niche specialized stuff that commands higher rates. As always though, if people are willing or able to work for low wages then that's all they'll be offered, and they'll be expected to be happy with it.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Munin posted:

The US is a place where a well paid lawyer thinks they can only barely get by because healthcare, education, etc is so expensive. Major medical emergencies are not nearly guaranteed to end with a GoFundMe or medical bankruptcy.

Health insurance really is a huge hidden cost that needs to be considered when comparing US salaries to other countries’ salaries. Even if you don’t have any health disasters and have an excellent plan, it’s going to be thousands of dollars per year in most jobs.

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright
Happy Halloween, just noticed that the pendant in Peter Jackson's Braindead aka Dead Alive (1992) looks exactly like the pendant from Chris Robert's Wing Commander aka Space Bulldozer (1999). Enjoy your holiday responsibly, drive safe.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

AlbieQuirky posted:

Health insurance really is a huge hidden cost that needs to be considered when comparing US salaries to other countries’ salaries. Even if you don’t have any health disasters and have an excellent plan, it’s going to be thousands of dollars per year in most jobs.

I was reading an article somewhere that said the astronomical costs of emergency medical care in the US, along with the fact that if you're unconscious when you're taken to the hospital (and sometimes if you're not) they'll do whatever they want, without your approval, and you'll get the bill in the end for whatever quarter million dollars of whatever, that people have stopped bothering to save money for retirement because it's a surer bet that before then you'll get hit with a huge medical bill. Better to have no money in the bank and zero-out with a medical bankruptcy than have your savings pillaged and still wind up declaring bankruptcy. Even low-level millionaires are at risk depending on which illness they are lucky enough to be hit with.

I've watched medical care in the last half-century go from paying a doctor directly, to having insurance (which at one point was actually insurance) with a $10 copay, to having $50 copays, to having $50+ copays and paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars out of pocket for routine procedures, or even preventive care. X-rays are the same poo poo now as when I was born but they're 20x more expensive, and you'd expect technology to go the other way. It feels to me like it's moving further and further toward a breaking point, if it hasn't gotten there already, and it's hard to explain to people outside the US just how oppressive it feels. It's like a game of musical chairs - every so often the music stops, and the person with the illness is out of the game. The culture has changed in subtle ways - it used to be "did you hear Kevin has cancer" and you'd say "I hope he's ok, there are some new treatments." Now it's "Kevin has cancer" and the response is "Well that's it for him then" and they don't mean the illness. Even if he physically recovers, he's done.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

I've watched medical care in the last half-century go from paying a doctor directly, to having insurance (which at one point was actually insurance) with a $10 copay, to having $50 copays, to having $50+ copays and paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars out of pocket for routine procedures, or even preventive care. X-rays are the same poo poo now as when I was born but they're 20x more expensive, and you'd expect technology to go the other way. It feels to me like it's moving further and further toward a breaking point, if it hasn't gotten there already, and it's hard to explain to people outside the US just how oppressive it feels. It's like a game of musical chairs - every so often the music stops, and the person with the illness is out of the game. The culture has changed in subtle ways - it used to be "did you hear Kevin has cancer" and you'd say "I hope he's ok, there are some new treatments." Now it's "Kevin has cancer" and the response is "Well that's it for him then" and they don't mean the illness. Even if he physically recovers, he's done.

Corporate executives, ivy league university professors, and the upper crust still have old school indemnity plans, where there is zero cost sharing and the insurer (often the institution itself) just quietly pays 100% of every claim. A few years ago I stumbled across a presentation from a benefits consultant where they talked about the three tier market-- 100% fully paid claims for top management, ACA compliant peasant class insurance with cost sharing, and finally skinny plans that are only partially ACA compliant but lack a ton of essential benefits for the company's temps/expendables that keeps them alive but only just.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I recommend just playing Wing Commander for all your health needs.

Christ Roberts saves with the blessing of his works. (Does not work with pirated copies - fresh cash only!)

Wing Commander, the only health care you need.*

*Take with 2 jpegs a day, if symptoms persist, buy and Idris.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scruffpuff posted:

I was reading an article somewhere that said the astronomical costs of emergency medical care in the US, along with the fact that if you're unconscious when you're taken to the hospital (and sometimes if you're not) they'll do whatever they want, without your approval, and you'll get the bill in the end for whatever quarter million dollars of whatever, that people have stopped bothering to save money for retirement because it's a surer bet that before then you'll get hit with a huge medical bill. Better to have no money in the bank and zero-out with a medical bankruptcy than have your savings pillaged and still wind up declaring bankruptcy. Even low-level millionaires are at risk depending on which illness they are lucky enough to be hit with.

Meanwhile in Russia....

Some years ago i broke my hand ice skating.

I don't normally go to my local doctor/clinic (where i'm officially assigned) becaues my wife works in the business and so we have connections with a lot of doctors and go see them directly. Usually costs us a bottle of wine and some chocolate.

Anyway, after breaking the hand and having the cast removed i had to go to the local clinic.

When i went in, the receptionist had to dig through a lot of records to find my card because i hadn't been for so long.

When she saw i hadn't been for so long, before she would allow me to see the physio she sent me for (just what i remember):

Blood test
Urine test
Flurogram
Check for prostate cancer (yup, drop 'em and sing Moon River)
General consultation with doctor
(possibly one or two other things)

And then x-ray on my hand prior to seeing the physio

All free of charge.

No, i don't have special insurance, just the basic free state insurance.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Corporate executives, ivy league university professors, and the upper crust still have old school indemnity plans, where there is zero cost sharing and the insurer (often the institution itself) just quietly pays 100% of every claim. A few years ago I stumbled across a presentation from a benefits consultant where they talked about the three tier market-- 100% fully paid claims for top management, ACA compliant peasant class insurance with cost sharing, and finally skinny plans that are only partially ACA compliant but lack a ton of essential benefits for the company's temps/expendables that keeps them alive but only just.

My husband’s extremely fancy employer offers amazing insurance but it costs us like $7000 a year :shrug: And my Ivy full professor friend has a $5000 deductible or something like that.

Even the platinum plans are being eroded or costing more and more each year.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 1, 2019

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

All free of charge.

This is basically any decent country, including plenty of "third world" ones. Mom friend's son got into a car accident, went to the regular state insurance hospital (you can also pay for a private one around there, of course, and they are pretty good and generally faster but this was an emergency anyways and it's not like they have much money) and doctors said that there was nothing to be done because he was a complete mess, but of them was "what if we airlift this dude and send it to mr. big shot miracle surgeon 2000 km away?" it's worth a try. So a helicopter comes and big shot miracle surgeon saves his rear end. Total cost: Zero (outside of the typical presents to the docs, but those are actually voluntary).

Like imagine getting a chopper ride to see one of the top surgeons on an emergency in the USA and how many lives you'll have to live to pay for that.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 1, 2019

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
So will Star Citizen have similar medical procedures? It's going to break my immersion if I didn't have a yearly checkup.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I'm afraid you have ramp.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Life time Avatar insurance.

Ltai.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the game already fully simulates congenital heart disease.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

SelenicMartian posted:

Apparently in some cases ramp is hereditary

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

SelenicMartian posted:

A terminal prognosis.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SelenicMartian posted:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Where we are clipping to, we need no doors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen: Other M(LM)