Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Thanks both, you are being super helpful. :)

I'm level 15 now and go some blue weapons and armour; bit more spice and variation to it and I like it a lot. The crafting I really need to google, as I am stuck on the very first one of cooking (not having the recipes). The blacksmithing one goes fine daily, but my research is all still blocked. I'm obviously missing something so it should be fun to sort it out.
Also not completely sure why some items can be deconstructed, and others can't.

Small random stuff is fantastic though; I did some questline involving House Redoran I believe, where I had to snuck in a mansion. Guards detected me and I killed them, and eventually, all. Looted the place clean, snuck to a Fence, cleared my bounty and sold all the stuff I stole. It's probably fairly standard, but it was a very fun experience.

Think I will focus on the crafting, addons and experimenting with skills first. Then take it from there.

Is there still an active EU build going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Cooking recipes for the writs should all be available from Chefs and Bartenders. For doing the writs, I find a town like Vivec City that has all the writ signs, and all the crafting stations, and the turn-in station all in the same spot the most efficient. It also has the horse stable & teleport stone right there also.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

At early levels, the only cooking recipes you need for dailies are the ones you can get cheap from vendors. Another thing to consider though, is that anybody that has duplicates of those recipes sells them dirt cheap on guild traders. (They also drop pretty frequently as rewards for said cooking dailies, so that's how you end up with lots of extra ones on the market.) When you're just starting out and 1,000 gold seems like a lot of money, bargain hunting for green recipes at trade posts can be worthwhile.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Dear ZOS,

November only has 30 days.

Thank you,
Your player base

p.s. Make the instant research scrolls unbound.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Nerd Of Prey posted:

At early levels, the only cooking recipes you need for dailies are the ones you can get cheap from vendors. Another thing to consider though, is that anybody that has duplicates of those recipes sells them dirt cheap on guild traders. (They also drop pretty frequently as rewards for said cooking dailies, so that's how you end up with lots of extra ones on the market.) When you're just starting out and 1,000 gold seems like a lot of money, bargain hunting for green recipes at trade posts can be worthwhile.

Yeah I need to start looking to join some guilds through the guildfinder that are newbie friendly and see how it all works out.
I have about 8k gold now, so a 1.000 does indeed look like a lot. :)

The game really is a solo game so far. I hope the lack of social / party play will keep me interested long enough, as my friends are stuck in that silly WoW classic thing. I should try and queue up for a dungeon now that I've unlocked it.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

FYI you don't need to join a guild to buy stuff off traders, only to sell. As a pretty casual player, I played for a long time before joining a trade guild at all, then joined one long enough to unload my valuable stuff, then got kicked out of it for inactivity eventually, and I'm sure I'll just repeat that cycle indefinitely.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Honestly one of my biggest tips for new players is, if you wanna play this like an adventure RPG, grab the mod that makes you reveal maps by exploring (True Exploration, I think?) It’s fun to go into an unmapped delve and fill in the map as you clear it out

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Ran across a guy who invited me near a zone he seemed to be AoE farming. Gave me a lot of tips, consumables and a 100% experience buff. Went crazy fast, jumped 10 levels to 30 and ended up on 31. Really fun as well.

Soured the questing experience a little bit (suddenly very slow), but it's fine because the quests remain fantastic. Also followed the advice and I am doing most crafting dailies. Still not the cooking one due to a lack of starting recipes, but I think I can find them if I take a trip back to the starting island.

Hope to get into some party play soon. Kinda miss dungeons and the public dungeon I randomly walked into was really cool (just tagged along without party invites to 3 other people).
Don't think EU still has an active SA guild? This topic seems quite dead as well.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Acht posted:

Don't think EU still has an active SA guild? This topic seems quite dead as well.

Just reroll on the NA server, most of us EU goons play there anyway.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Acht posted:

Still not the cooking one due to a lack of starting recipes, but I think I can find them if I take a trip back to the starting island.

Should be available from any chef and brewer, they're marked on your map.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Comrade Koba posted:

Just reroll on the NA server, most of us EU goons play there anyway.

I was going to suggest this too, but I remember at least one Euro goon on the NA server complaining that the latency is bad enough to interfere with gameplay in the advanced group content. Rest assured if you do restart on NA, goons will make it worth your while with free stuff. Also I enjoy running group content with newbies, well, when I have time to play at all these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXrWeXJjSCU

I'm still getting my kicks soloing group content, and magicka Dragonknight is still my favorite class. Layering DoTs always just clicked with me, and with a couple of their staple skills requiring you to be at close range, it feels like more of a melee fighter than other mages. Kinda scratches that Dark Souls itch, and I doubt there are many other MMOs out there that could.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
drat, you guys are kind of convicing me to start on NA now. Feels sort of weird to lose my progress though.
I'll give it a go tonight likely, been meaning to make a Dragon Knight alt anyway, so might as well!

edit: What are the chances of me getting in some AoE farming to get my level back up to where I am on EU side if I join the guild?

Acht fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 4, 2019

A Dire Bear
Aug 17, 2013
Could I get an invite? UserID is @Mrmisterm

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Acht posted:

edit: What are the chances of me getting in some AoE farming to get my level back up to where I am on EU side if I join the guild?

Honestly, I don't think farming is necessary, or desirable. You'll level fast enough doing quests, and especially group dungeons, and have more fun that way.

Ask some goons to join you for a daily random dungeon (after you hit level 10 is when you can do those, I think?), pop one of the experience scrolls you get from the daily rewards, and you'll be shocked by how quickly you're gaining experience. Especially since the witches' festival has been extended, and the experience boost from using the cauldron stacks with the scroll.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Rollersnake posted:

Honestly, I don't think farming is necessary, or desirable. You'll level fast enough doing quests, and especially group dungeons, and have more fun that way.

Ask some goons to join you for a daily random dungeon (after you hit level 10 is when you can do those, I think?), pop one of the experience scrolls you get from the daily rewards, and you'll be shocked by how quickly you're gaining experience. Especially since the witches' festival has been extended, and the experience boost from using the cauldron stacks with the scroll.

Thanks for the good advice. I haven't tried a single dungeon yet, I should really give it a go.
Think I'll stick with EU for now. I'm 33 and "into" it and losing all progress would feel weird, how little it might be.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Acht posted:

Thanks for the good advice. I haven't tried a single dungeon yet, I should really give it a go.
Think I'll stick with EU for now. I'm 33 and "into" it and losing all progress would feel weird, how little it might be.

There's like 800 champion levels after you ding 60, with 160 of those still acting as "levels", where gear and monsters scale with you.

Don't feel bad for starting over. Also, when you start accumulating champion levels, they're account wide, so alts are actually encouraged.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Can @Jabarto get a guild invite, please?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I hadn't logged in since shortly after Necromancer's got released and when I logged in I got a simple notice that said there are multiple products available for purchase on my other characters. No other explanation. Anyone know what that means?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

nessin posted:

I hadn't logged in since shortly after Necromancer's got released and when I logged in I got a simple notice that said there are multiple products available for purchase on my other characters. No other explanation. Anyone know what that means?

If you maxed out a skill line on one character, like fighter's guild or vampire, now you can pay crowns to unlock it on other characters. Same with discovering all the skyshards in a zone and some other things like that. When you first log on the character that accomplished one of those things, it will notify you that the thing they did is now available to unlock on your alts. I'm guessing this is what you saw.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I decided to play again. Can I please get an invite to a guild? @fappenmeister

Thank you.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
So I'm pretty new at this game, are there any parts of the main storyline that can't be soloed? I'm doing the Vvardenfell questline and the defense turret thing on Divine Restoration is loving nuts, I can't even get close enough to hit it without dying, and nothing else in the game has given me any trouble until now.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Jabarto posted:

So I'm pretty new at this game, are there any parts of the main storyline that can't be soloed? I'm doing the Vvardenfell questline and the defense turret thing on Divine Restoration is loving nuts, I can't even get close enough to hit it without dying, and nothing else in the game has given me any trouble until now.

You can solo everything in the game other than some worldbosses, dungeons and trials.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
You'll occasionally come across some speed bumps in the quests where you're like what the gently caress, but 10 minutes later you're three more sub quests past it already.

I do kinda wish you could maybe eat some food that would cause everything to be harder with a bump in XP and maybe a greater chance for better gear. I get what people were saying how once you hit the CP everything overworld gets a bit easy. I'm still doing quests but I'm steamrolling them.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

For anyone on the fence, my wife and I got in on this like a week ago and this is my freebie apartment already:

I feel like a total s'wit for writing the game off when I tried the beta. This one also remembers to pay his taxes.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Philthy posted:

I do kinda wish you could maybe eat some food that would cause everything to be harder with a bump in XP and maybe a greater chance for better gear. I get what people were saying how once you hit the CP everything overworld gets a bit easy. I'm still doing quests but I'm steamrolling them.

Holy poo poo yes. I’d love to be able to turn on Hard Mode for my overpowered dudes.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
I made it to level 50 yesterday. I read up a bit and apparantly I need to grind out 160 CP before I need to actually worry about gear (scaling). I'm fine with that, as there's still so much to do / see.

Something that's been bugging me is that I don't quite understand the skill lines well. My templar is dualwield, Spear line. I only picked 3 abilities though; the jab, the aoe spear and some shield I put on that explodes when expires. Added to that is a heal and some heavy armour ultimate (that I never use).
The dualwield skills all seem worse than the spear itself, so I hardly use those. I did pick some passives that help out.
Next to that I followed the beginner's build and have a bow on my weapon swap with some skills. As a true beginner (every guide mentions this), I dislike the swapping and never use it so far. I'll look into this though, I'm sure it comes into play on harder content.

Besides that I maxed out Heavy Armour and two Medium armour passives. I'm putting points when I can into Blacksmithing. I still have 8 skill points left though?

For crafting, I'm saving everything I get/have in my crafting bag and do the writs daily. No idea what that currency it gives actually does, but the crates are great.

Looking forward to making a more tank-based character now for dungeons, but as I have only done two so far, I want to learn them a little better first.
Really great game so far; graphics are great, the world is interesting, quests are amazing, combat feels fun.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Acht posted:

Looking forward to making a more tank-based character now for dungeons, but as I have only done two so far, I want to learn them a little better first.
Really great game so far; graphics are great, the world is interesting, quests are amazing, combat feels fun.

If you're rolling tank you're going to want to wear all heavy armor (I think, maybe you wear 1 light 1 medium rest heavy), and then sword/board for both bars I believe, though something might have changed where you can roll frost staff on your back bar. I wouldn't worry about "knowing" the dungeons perfectly if you're just running normals, as the old world ones can be soloed and the DLC ones can be done with fairly brain dead folks as long as they can push a button. Plus, most people will gladly explain mechanics to you quickly (especially if you do dungeons with guildies, but I've had good luck with pugs too).

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

MF_James posted:

If you're rolling tank you're going to want to wear all heavy armor (I think, maybe you wear 1 light 1 medium rest heavy), and then sword/board for both bars I believe, though something might have changed where you can roll frost staff on your back bar. I wouldn't worry about "knowing" the dungeons perfectly if you're just running normals, as the old world ones can be soloed and the DLC ones can be done with fairly brain dead folks as long as they can push a button. Plus, most people will gladly explain mechanics to you quickly (especially if you do dungeons with guildies, but I've had good luck with pugs too).

Yeah, I'm on EU and the people so far have been quite helpful and polite. Made some friends along the way and they all offer to keep asking them questions they gladly answer. :)
I joined some guild that has a pretty nice rotation during the week of different content, so I'm going to tag along and experience a bunch. I could be mistaken, but the people playing do not seem very jaded towards the game.

Is there a specific class that is very fun to tank as? Dragon Knight perhaps?

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?
If my partner is not a goon can they still join the chill bros guild, or nah?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Graveyardstick posted:

If my partner is not a goon can they still join the chill bros guild, or nah?

Yes. Everyone has invite perms as well so just toss them an invite.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hi I'm coming back to the game after years away and wanted to start over because I don't remember anything about how to play and don't really remember liking my old main anyway. Is there any advice on a good race/class to play? I mainly just want something powerful/easy to play.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

This game is absolutely wild. We went to Murkmire for the first time and ran into the Argonian bards that play the frog-powered... tuba-organ... instrument... things. They had way too much fun doing this.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Even as someone who finds the single-player content not particularly engaging with a high level character, I loved Murkmire. It seems bigger than other small regions like Hew's Bane and Gold Coast due to the geography, and it has (so far) my favorite quest in the entire game in Empty Nests.

Also (once you're C160, of course) you can get very rich very fast selling Bright-Throat's Boast destruction staves and purple jewelry.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

murkmire being so flat in a weird way helped make it feel more expansive

you get out of lilimoth or whatever and its just...flat, stretching out as far as you can see occluded by fog

feels very alien and that youre kind of not on the edge of civilization but way past it, like black marsh should feel

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Has there been any data mining about what the next chapter is going to be? Smart money would be on Hammerfell or Skyrim, but if the speculation is right and Hammerfell is TES VI I get the feeling they'd stay out of BGS's way, and I feel like they'd do Skyrim in 2011 to wait for Skyrim's 10 year anniversary.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
There's an NPC in South Elsweyr who after a quest very conspicuously talked about going to Hammerfell next for no particular reason, and previous DLC chapters foreshadowed the next DLC chapter in similar ways. Plus the Covenant races haven't gotten a large DLC area since Orsinium, so I think they're due.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

* Starts chanting "Pyandonea, Pyandonea" but gives up when it's obvious nobody is joining in *

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Another event hosed over by Zenimax' inability to run servers.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Well, they tried streamlining their matchmaking and it's too buggy to use. So running an event that kinda relies on grouping and using the matchmaking is out.

Why they haven't just rolled it back is kinda strange tho.

At least they're trying to improve it. They just need to aim a little higher because thats yer foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Was messing around getting Talk to Transformer to generate Argonian names. You all are welcome to use any of these:

Hides-Wolves
Saves-The-Pigs
Gets-Up-And-Flies
Heals-the-Dead
Shoes-On
Gets-Stolen
Makes-Wet-Things-Rotten
Dance-Around-The-Cone
Gives-Birth
Grows-Lawnmowers
Aquarium-Miner
Has-A-Disease-Every-Day