Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Alan Smithee posted:

As someone who doesn’t watch dubs cuz it’s for trash people why are they so attached to Vic? Did he invent the yugioh abridged “SETO KAIBA” Voice and he was their missing dad during their formative years

Most of the people really attached to him at this point don't really care about him-they're using him as a prop for their proxy anti-#metoo culture war. Outside of them, it's just a cult of personality like any other-"The guy I like never did anything bad to meeeeeee, therefore I'll choose to believe that the hundreds of stories about the dude being a creep and a diva over the past two decades are all lies and continue living in my bubble."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

As someone who doesn’t watch dubs cuz it’s for trash people why are they so attached to Vic? Did he invent the yugioh abridged “SETO KAIBA” Voice and he was their missing dad during their formative years

It's because he voiced Edward Elric. That's it. That's the entire reason. People liked FMA and associate him with the character.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

It's because he voiced Edward Elric. That's it. That's the entire reason. People liked FMA and associate him with the character.

Also Ouran Host Club. That seems to be the other thing.

He doesn't have a huge string of starring roles that one would imagine. He's not, say, a Yuri Lowenthal.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

It's especially funny because this movie is the debut of Johnny Yong Bosch as the replacement for Vic's Sabo.

As a follow-up, Johnny was so much better than Vic it's ridiculous.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
no matter what else happens in my life, no matter how much of a failure I may feel like, I will always be able to tell myself "at least I'm not the guy who convinced himself that the Yakuza were going to go after Vic's accusers"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ah yes the yakuza

known for having the backs of gaijin sex creeps

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Kiryu would beat up Vic at the end of his sidequest for sure.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Kiryu would beat up Vic at the end of his sidequest for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXZ3cWCh1Es

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
If you've seen those "bash the fash and play baseball" ads at the bottom of your screen, this is the sort of person we're fighting against in that game:

quote:

With the number of new shows I'm interested in per season dropping (and this club's activity along with that), I had the idea of discussing current events in the anime industry.

Basically, this is my excuse to bring up the Vic Mignogna situation and to see what everyone thinks of it almost ten months later. My opinion on it has been the same throughout the months. This is just another example of the #MeToo movement becoming today's Salem Witch Trials, and a way for mentally ill snowflakes on social media to ruin the careers of people they hate, knowing full well they'll never be as successful as them. The Vic Mignogna situation has opened the eyes of myself and many others to the corruption in the Western anime industry, with companies such as Funimation (Sony) and Rooster Teeth (AT&T/Warner Media) at the forefront. Not even a year ago, I defended these very same companies from the criticisms that people threw at them, however that is something I simply cannot do any longer.

Every ounce of criticism these companies receive is justified. It's no secret that they treat their consumers like crap. Several months ago, Funimation's site conveniently experienced a "bug" that prevented users from unsubscribing to their subscription service. There are voice actors like Jamie Marchi openly admitting on Twitter that they use Funimation's platform to simply spread their agenda. The very same voice actors who openly attack the fans that call out their bullshit and engage in the same practices they accuse Vic of doing are somehow completely exempt from the same company guidelines that got Vic fired. The #KickVic side also claims to stand up for the victims of sexual harassment, although they'll defend Ron Toye who's a proven harasser and abuser of women himself.

I could go on, but I'll end it for now by saying that these people deserve every bit of legal ramification they have coming their way. The lunatics defending them can do so until they're in the ground, along with the people and companies they treat so high and mighty as their trust and good will dwindle day by day.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Ah yes, the Salem Witch Trials, where mostly women were tortured and horrifically murdered for the crimes of potentially being a witch. That's definitely similar to the #metoo movement in which men are oppressed and abused.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

It's especially funny because this movie is the debut of Johnny Yong Bosch as the replacement for Vic's Sabo.

I don't even like Sabo and I can already tell you this is an improvement

Cast Bosch as broly too while we are at it

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Dawgstar posted:

Also Ouran Host Club. That seems to be the other thing.

He doesn't have a huge string of starring roles that one would imagine. He's not, say, a Yuri Lowenthal.

Plus, his fan club. And the activities/events he'd do to grow those numbers, like make mini-movies and cast his fans, "allow" his fans to run his club for him (read: work long volunteer hours with zero pay despite the fact that he ran his own web store and money was changing hands, etc.) Add in his convention concerts, dinners, get-togethers...yeah, there was a lot of cult of personality stuff going on. (And again, he did treat his at-the-con fans like gold.) "Vic's fangirls" has been a catchphrase for a long time in the anime con scene.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Captain Baal posted:

I don't even like Sabo and I can already tell you this is an improvement

Cast Bosch as broly too while we are at it

Bosch would not be a bad Broly.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Still lollin' at the idea that even one Yakuza family gives a poo poo and that even if they did that they'd be able to do poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

It’s like a bad 80s movie where yakuza can have a restaurant full of white randos shoot it up for them

In other words dolph Lundgren punisher

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

It’s like a bad 80s movie where yakuza can have a restaurant full of white randos shoot it up for them

In other words dolph Lundgren punisher

Yeah, they're basically only a threat in the movies. I'm not saying I could take them or anything but they have almost no network outside of Japan and don't really go around making hits all of the time. Handguns and bullets are hard to come by here so most don't even have much experience shooting a gun.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Yeah, they're basically only a threat in the movies. I'm not saying I could take them or anything but they have almost no network outside of Japan and don't really go around making hits all of the time. Handguns and bullets are hard to come by here so most don't even have much experience shooting a gun.
Majima isn't going to come to America to waste some guys for picking on a child molester, he has karaoke to do.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Also pretty sure that like most Sicilian Mafia groups, there's a VERY STRICT honour code among members, key among them is that you can only engage in violence with those who are in "The Life" of their own choosing. Fellow gangsters only, everyone else is off-limits (unless ultra-special permission is given from higher-up for major reasons).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
not really the yakuza will happily perform extort and intimidate and occasionally even maim locals

its just they have like zero power overseas, the japanese diaspora tends to be well established and hence no need for mutual aid societies that allow criminality to flourish in the cracks

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Agent Escalus posted:

Also pretty sure that like most Sicilian Mafia groups, there's a VERY STRICT honour code among members, key among them is that you can only engage in violence with those who are in "The Life" of their own choosing. Fellow gangsters only, everyone else is off-limits (unless ultra-special permission is given from higher-up for major reasons).

Nah this is complete nonsense, they're just like most criminals in that it's bad business to be too violent for no reason, honour has nothing to do with it.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Also, like the Sicilian mob the image that's been cultivated of them is outdated and exaggerated for the most part. Again. Not saying I'd spit in their faces but they're pretty toothless these days.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the greatest and most accurate yakuza story of all time is the story where two american wrestlers were in japan for a show, they were talking to some yakuza at a bar, one of the yakuza goes 'we're hardcore... if you fail the family, they take a bit of your fingers...' and holds up his hosed up hand with like two fingers missing and a chunk out of his middle finger, and one of the wrestlers replies 'wow, you must be a real fuckup, huh.'

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Also, like the Sicilian mob the image that's been cultivated of them is outdated and exaggerated for the most part. Again. Not saying I'd spit in their faces but they're pretty toothless these days.

Sicilian mob is too busy hiding from Qanon these days to cause too much trouble.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

https://japantoday.com/category/features/kuchikomi/financially-troubled-yakuza-reduced-to-stealing-watermelons

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

quote:

Last summer, however, an incident occurred. As the gangster's colleague related, "The farmers formed a roving neighborhood watch group that made the rounds at night. Some houses found ways to block off cars to keep them from driving away. The other guys I work with took off, but they grabbed me and five of them really clobbered me. Then when they saw I was tattooed they said, 'What? You're a yakuza?' I refused to tell them my name or gang affiliation, because having that come out would create even more trouble. The posse members weren't looking for trouble either, so they made me promise I would never do it again, and then sent me on my way with two watermelons."

As someone living on a different continent than most of the Yakuza I feel pretty confident calling the Yakuza a complete and total loving bitch.

Edit, wait I somehow missed the post where they plotting international assassinations of people who criticized english voice actors of American cartoons, I take it all back, please don't hurt me Yakuza.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 1, 2019

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

As someone living on a different continent than most of the Yakuza I feel pretty confident calling the Yakuza a complete and total loving bitch.

Edit, wait I somehow missed the post where they plotting international assassinations of people who criticized english voice actors of American cartoons, I take it all back, please don't hurt me Yakuza.

I'm running to one of their offices in Nishinari and ratting you out! I could really use the watermelons. poo poo is expensive here!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Some yakuza do trick or treat with kids in their areas on Halloween though, so it’s impossible to say if they’re good or not

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Some yakuza do trick or treat with kids in their areas on Halloween though, so it’s impossible to say if they’re good or not

I wonder if it's partly a turf thing? Kids getting harrassed or kidnapped on their turf during Halloween would probably look bad on them.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

It's a racket. They hit them up later for their cut of the candy as a "favor" for protecting them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

value-brand cereal posted:

Ah yes, the Salem Witch Trials, where mostly women were tortured and horrifically murdered for the crimes of potentially being a witch. That's definitely similar to the #metoo movement in which men are oppressed and abused.

So is the #metoo Giles Corey a very inappropriate chubby chaser?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's a racket. They hit them up later for their cut of the candy as a "favor" for protecting them.

God help you if you try to short them on a cut of the full-size bars with funsizes. They'll cut off one of your kit-kat fingers for it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

It's pr

Would you sue the people who gave your kids candy

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Jamie Marchi has been trolling the absolute poo poo out of the Pro-Vic crowd and it is truly glorious.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Jamie Marchi has been trolling the absolute poo poo out of the Pro-Vic crowd and it is truly glorious.

They do not seem to understand she feeds on their outrage.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

They run the sex trafficking biz so I’d say no

Though apparently even that’s not profitable enough, do they just never adjust prices at all the same way vending machine drinks over there have been 100 ¥ for like 20 years?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Though apparently even that’s not profitable enough, do they just never adjust prices at all the same way vending machine drinks over there have been 100 ¥ for like 20 years?

Depends on the maker and location. If you get the cheap stuff from something like Sangaria it's sometimes under 100 yen, sometimes it'll be around 250 but that's going to probably be somewhere like in the ticket gate at a station.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dr. Killjoy posted:

The yen has had next to no inflation for a while now.

100 yen 20 years ago is still about 100 yen

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dawgstar posted:

They do not seem to understand she feeds on their outrage.
Been watching the Cautious Hero dub, and she seems to be using that extra energy for Ristarte, because holy poo poo she's almost as good as Aki Toyosaki.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wark Say posted:

Been watching the Cautious Hero dub, and she seems to be using that extra energy for Ristarte, because holy poo poo she's almost as good as Aki Toyosaki.

I think some people see Marchi's part in this as rank betrayal because she plays Rias Gremory and a lot of them were absolutely people who would have Rias as an avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/babynekoyui/status/1188610031232700416?s=21