Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

EvilHawk posted:

I suspect the Brexit Party will pick up a number of seats - maybe 20 - but that is likely to come from both Tory and Labour seats.

They might get two if they're lucky. Their vote is too spread out.

What is important is the damage they could do to Tory chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Yo to the comrade whose CLP seemed to short on cash and any others that might turn out to be - Grace Petrie is willing to do benefit gigs in the run up to the election so if you've got the capacity maybe try and arrange something with her to raise funds.

https://twitter.com/gracepetrie/status/1189927994552389633?s=19

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1190217590192390144
How many 2017 voters the Brexit party is currently taking from each party

Key clarification: 19% of the Tory Leaver vote is a lot more votes than 25% of the Labour Leaver vote.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

The farage ultimatum is beautiful:
Either he splits the tory vote if they don't pact or if they do pact it utterly humiliates the tories in that they would be admitting their deal is poo poo and (promising) having to abandon it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Braggart posted:

What the gently caress, this never happened to me before? How can the media say no to this face?

He looks like Carpenter’s The Thing lol.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure the article can beat the picture:

Uncanny

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Swinson the Carpathian

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

Maugrim posted:

There was a good graphic doing the rounds showing the difference between a million and a billion in piles of cash notes, but I can't remember where I saw it - if anyone else does it could be a good addition to the list of resources that someone is definitely compiling by now, right? (I'd volunteer but don't get much time at the PC atm)

I was bored at work and started to put some resources for the election here: https://board.net/p/2019_UK_election

Anyone can edit with that link so feel free to add anything!

2019 UK Election myths:

I don't agree with all conservative party policies, but Boris is a legend!
Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is a bad man, e.g:

* Tried to have a reporter beat up \url{https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/14/black-eyes-boris-johnson-plot-attack-reporter-darius-guppy}
* Serial liar, being fired from both the Times and the shadow cabinet because of it. \url{https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-lies-conservative-leader-candidate-list-times-banana-brexit-bus-a8929076.html}
* Racist - calling African people " piccaninnies " \url{https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-record-sexist-homophobic-and-racist-comments-bumboys-piccaninnies-2019-6?r=US%5C&IR=T}
* homophobic: " "If gay marriage was OK – and I was uncertain on the issue – then I saw no reason in principle why a union should not be consecrated between three men, as well as two men, or indeed three men and a dog.""
* Islamophobic: " Islam is the problem."
* Corruption allegations: \url{https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/labour-mp-demands-boris-johnson-answer-corruption-allegations}
* Series of failed vanity projects as mayor cost more than £940m of public money \url{https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2019/jul/16/boris-johnsons-biggest-design-letdowns-as-london-mayor-video}

The best for britain getVoting website told me voting lib dem in my constituencyis the only way to stop brexit
That was set up by lib dem supporters and is not accurate:

https://twitter.com/MissEllieMae/status/1189936820995403776

This shows that it does not recommend voting Labour in any seats not already held by Labour:

https://i.imgur.com/iCO4L1M.png

People should be rewarded for working hard, whats wrong with people being billionaires?
You don't get a billion pounds from your own labour, but from taking the profits of other people's labour. A billion pounds is not just a bit more than a million pounds, it is a ridiculously large amount that no one person should be able to have control over. The sun has a volume a million times that of the earth. In comparison, imagine a star with a volume a billion times that of the earth, such a star would cover half the sky and burn the surface of the earth to a crisp, before collapsing into a black hole. Billionaires should be placed in this star.

"Billionaries aren't just a policy failure, they are the embodiment of immorality. You can't be a billionaire and a good person, despite what their astroturfing PR teams on reddit may try to tell you for some of the 'good ones'.
It's literally impossible to accumulate that much wealth without the mass exploitation of others and the profits their labor generated. Not to mention the exploitation of the earth until it's uninhabitable for human life.
George Washington was the richest man in the country when the US was founded, and he "only" had today's equivalent of 500 million. That wouldn't even get him in the room with some of these ghouls today.

If people only understood just how obscenely rich these monsters were, they wouldn't be able to show their face in society while millions suffer. I like to use the analogy of a staircase, with each step on the staircase representing $100,000 of net worth. That's several years of working wages saved up for tens of millions of Americans:
HALF of people in the united states are on the base or the very 1st step. Almost 200 million people who can't even get one step up in this system.
Those households at the 80th percentile, richer than 4/5 Americans, are on the 5th step. That's about five seconds of walking to get up there.
Those with more money than 90% of fellow Americans, millionaires who we consider our upper-middle class professional class and live more than comfortably, are on the 11th step. A few more seconds of walking up from that previous middle-class step. Most Americans won't even come close to accumulating this much over an entire lifetime of working.
A billionaire is ten thousand steps up the staircase. That's enough to walk up five Empire State buildings. That's almost three hours of walking non-stop. You think they care about the petty squabbles of anyone on those first few steps or so? From these heights they couldn't tell the difference even if they wanted to. And yet those who've maybe ascended or were born on the first few dozen steps think they identify with this group as a class.

And Jeff Bezos? He's so high up it only makes sense to describe his staircase in distance. His stairs take him up 133 miles. That's more than halfway to the space station. That's more than 24 consecutive Mt. Everest's stacked on top of each other. It would take walking, non-stop, no sleep, over two weeks to ascend that high, each single step worth more than five poverty-level families in America combined."

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

chestnut santabag posted:

JO;
(can anyone explain the semi-colon to me please?)

She never finishes?

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Quick note to all the brain pill people in here, if your SSRIs run out and your repeat prescription got hosed up don't just give up and stop.

I've been dizzy for about two weeks now, thought it was just lack of sleep but decided to look up citalopram withdrawal and welp ...

Looks like getvoting.org has pushed new data out yet again (I've not messaged @callumcant1 yet been too busy, he says posting on a forum) it's almost like this site was unfinished and rushed out ...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Parody of Jeb! by using a pointless piece of punctuation for a pointless party's pointless politicians

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SpaceCommie posted:

Quick note to all the brain pill people in here, if your SSRIs run out and your repeat prescription got hosed up don't just give up and stop.

I've been dizzy for about two weeks now, thought it was just lack of sleep but decided to look up citalopram withdrawal and welp ...

Looks like getvoting.org has pushed new data out yet again (I've not messaged @callumcant1 yet been too busy, he says posting on a forum) it's almost like this site was unfinished and rushed out ...

Yeah, please, please do not go cold turkey on SSRIs, it is very dangerous. From personal experience, the warnings aren't kidding around.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
When's the deadline for PPC applications? Presumably we don't know for certain whether Johnson is going to bottle it out of Uxbridge until then?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
yo fakename or anyone else in a momentum organisational role, hmu with contacts that the party can talk to in cornwall to coordinate, also get new ones that come to the boring stuff

chestnut santabag posted:

JO;
(can anyone explain the semi-colon to me please?)

the ;( represents excitement

happy election everyone, have fun and remember it's undecorous to have an orgy in the blood of the rich until after we win

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

EvilHawk posted:

Farage is snookered, the Tories are snookered,

Paging Azza Bamboo i want to see this portrayed in an overly-labeled cartoon with appropriately coloured balls and where the corner pocket is labeled "ELECTION VICTORY"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Zalakwe posted:

They might get two if they're lucky. Their vote is too spread out.

What is important is the damage they could do to Tory chances.

Yeah, Brexit is UKIP with slightly less fash. they have a relatively strong 15% of the vote most of the time, but it's 15% across most of the country, so it never turns into anything real bar giving the crazies something to vote for, splitting votes.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Brexit is but a door, election time is but a window. I'll be back

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 1, 2019

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

When's the deadline for PPC applications? Presumably we don't know for certain whether Johnson is going to bottle it out of Uxbridge until then?

19 working days before the poll, so 4pm 15 November (2 weeks from now).

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

On the one hand, those lab - > lib numbers blow my hopes out of the water.

On the other hand, ehhhhh YouGov.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Farage giving an easy answer to why he doesn't care if he splits the vote: Johnson's deal isn't Brexit, so unless he drops it he sees no difference between that and Remain.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
lmao who bought me this avatar

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

RockyB posted:

On the one hand, those lab - > lib numbers blow my hopes out of the water.

On the other hand, ehhhhh YouGov.

A lot will depend on those votes coming back.

But as the campaign progresses its going to become more and more obvious that the Lib Dem position of 'we'll win a majority' is ridiculous. And Labour will become the only game in town for stopping Brexit.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Braggart posted:

What the gently caress, this never happened to me before? How can the media say no to this face?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jabby posted:

Farage giving an easy answer to why he doesn't care if he splits the vote: Johnson's deal isn't Brexit, so unless he drops it he sees no difference between that and Remain.

Yeah, no matter how much I hate him as a person, he is slick and handling this poo poo. Helps that he has a simplistic answer to a loving complicated issue.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Tesseraction posted:

Parody of Jeb! by using a pointless piece of punctuation for a pointless party's pointless politicians

Braggart‽

My policies include

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure the article can beat the picture:

Oh good, she's trapped in the phantom zone.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So we have

1) Johnson being massively hated, far beyond what I think the polls say
2) Brexit party splitting the vote, more tory than Labour
3) Mass youth vote registration
4) Lib Dems taking a hit early on with a blatantly untruthful campaign.
5) Corbyn starting with a great speech.
6) the natural tendency of voters to vote against a sitting government, as they take the blame for all wrongs people see.

The last one id a biggie IMO - I can't remember what the effect is called (political center?) but the idea is that how left/right people are changes over time - the tories get in, cut taxes and budgets, people get annoyed as services stop working, vote labour in. labour raise taxes, spend on services, then people start getting annoyed about taxes. repeat.
The Torys have been in power for a decade now, a lot of people are just going to be fed up with them.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I'm unbelievably excited about the Jo; campaign‽

Sanford posted:

Uuurgh my constituency is Bolsover and if Dennis stands down we could end up with a BXP MP. I'd never live with the shame.

I'm pretty sure at this point Dennis is going to stay as an MP until he literally dies on the bench

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I do not understand the 'libdems are shite but I will vote for them to stop Brexit' mindset at all. How do they think the libs will achieve this? They're not going to get anywhere near a majority (lol), if they're in government it will be part of a coalition and whoever that is (tories) will tell them to gently caress off so why waste the vote

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Swinson really has the worst luck with lighting. Seems half the photos of her has the lighting from the back. Turning her eyes into sunken hollows. Sith emperor style.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point Dennis is going to stay as an MP until he literally dies on the bench
If this election destroys the Tory party he might step down, his job on this earth completed.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

I was bored at work and started to put some resources for the election here: https://board.net/p/2019_UK_election

Anyone can edit with that link so feel free to add anything!

Thank you for this! I know some people who've been looking for a resource like that, so it does help.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm working in The Netherlands right now, but 3/4 recruiters that approach me there come from the UK. Have UK recruiters always been this busy on the continent?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm working in The Netherlands right now, but 3/4 recruiters that approach me there come from the UK. Have UK recruiters always been this busy on the continent?

Not really. But if you know any recruiters looking for people in the UK, give me a shout.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I don't think Johnson is more hated than polls indicated per say, I'd just say it's a natural result of the divide between Older Tory Voters and people under 55 voting majority for Labour.

The pensioners don't have to go out and interact with the world in meaningful ways, they're much more likely to get all their information from the TV and Newspapers rather than digital media, their interactions with the internet are their kids ignoring them on facebook and they rarely feel the need to leave the house. Much more controlled and much less likely to question what's given to them by a media that is very pro tory. They aren't likely to be out and about when Tory PM's are visiting places where as everyone under 55 who has to interact with the real world, has seen it get worse in real time, have had their pensions, wages and benefits hosed with and know it's the tories fault are much more likely to be out and about and boo a Tory PM when he's seen skulking in the corridors of a hospital.

On the flip side to that we have Corbyn who is supposedly more hated than Johnson who can go out in public and be treated really warmly by the majority of people who interact with him. Because all the people who hate him are indoors and shut off from the real world.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

All the immigrants that were filling the jobs aren't coming any more because we've decided to shoot ourselves in the dick on live TV.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
People not voting chat:

A friend is a brexiteer. She's disgusted (as are her entire brexiteer family) that brexit hasn't happened.
"It's disgusting" quoth she "we've been diddled out of our vote. They're going to steal our brexit. I'm never voting again and neither are any of the brexit voters I know, what's the point?"

I wonder how many leave supporters will take the same attitude and simply not bother to vote this election?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
swinson must know that shes just out there to split the vote? does she care?

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

bump_fn posted:

swinson must know that shes just out there to split the vote? does she care?

Yes, about herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Surprise T Rex posted:

Yes, about herself.

ahhhh, the chuka move