Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Modiphius are doing a Fall of London preview on Twitch, also I guess this is a cover reveal? anyway here we are

https://twitter.com/Modiphius/status/1189972246397431809

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
Speaking of V5 live streams, anyone know when LA by Night is coming back? I went looking, can't find a drat thing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I ride bikes all day posted:

Speaking of V5 live streams, anyone know when LA by Night is coming back? I went looking, can't find a drat thing.

There isn't anything as of yet.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

There isn't anything as of yet.

I finished the last epilogue episode last week or something and it feels real bad to all caught up now.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So that book I was looking for is Cult of the Blood Gods and it's not out yet. It's supposed to be Kickstarted sometime. Do they have to put all their projects on Kickstarter? That seems like a very precarious place to be in for a business.

Anyway I got 4 Books off DriveThru for the sale:
Revelations of the D ark Mother
Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand
Guide to the Black Hand
Anarch 5E

Wanted info on Antitribu and weird cults and these seemed like a good place to start from what I could find. I always liked what I read about Lilith in online lore synapses, too. It's very weird how in Bloodlines part of the Caine worship in the gallery is Caine "spurning" Lilith. Jesus died for our sins and Caine abused and abandoned this n ice lady who helped him out.

I was also uncertain about the differences between Player's Guide to the Sabbat and Guide to t he Sabbat. I didn't get either right now but I did find this helpful site illustrating how the Sabbat has changed from Edition to Edition:
http://the-night-in-question.jackalope-larp.com/2018/02/27/what-is-classic-sabbat-part-1/

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 1, 2019

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

NikkolasKing posted:

Anyway I got 4 Books off DriveThru for the sale:

Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand

oh no

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Kill it with fire.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have no problem buying the odd bad book. This is my second one apparently.

What's wrong with it though?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Well how do you feel about the idea of one vampire clan's signature power not being a vampire power at all but a virus from space? What about vampires with time travel?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Have you wondered at the dark truth behind the Kindred's Census Bureau?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand is kind of infamous as a "peak 2e" book where they just kind of throw a bunch of insane poo poo at the wall. I wouldn't call it bad so much as very not normative.

There's a V20 version of the book which brings the True Hand more in line with the rest of the setting and was very well-received.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

I have no problem buying the odd bad book. This is my second one apparently.

What's wrong with it though?

How much did you enjoy Brian Lumley's Necroscope series?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand is kind of infamous as a "peak 2e" book where they just kind of throw a bunch of insane poo poo at the wall. I wouldn't call it bad so much as very not normative.

There's a V20 version of the book which brings the True Hand more in line with the rest of the setting and was very well-received.

Yeah that's what I'm reading right now and I'm enjoying it a lot.

One thing the V20 book has stressed so far is how paranoid the Kindred are. Maybe the crazy stuff in 2e can be attributed to that. I've often heard earlier WOD stuff is very 90s X Files black helicopters and conspiracies absolutely everywhere. But I honestly enjoy that.

I was asking earlier on Reddit about if a vampire's existence is inherently miserable. The cast of Bloodlines doesn't seem miser able. hosed up beyond belief but not depressed and yearning for oblivion. But even if there is no internal angst, even if you are super happy to be a vampire, the outside world is definitely mobilized against you.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 1, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

A vampire doesn't need to be miserable. It's quite possible to be a vampire that really enjoys their unlife.

It's just, that person's probably kinda hosed up.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I'm finally getting around to playing GTAV for the first time.

It really kind of struck me that Trevor was kind of what most of the Sabbat wish they could be.

edit: Note, this was kind of meant to be a reply to Mors' post above mine, but it also kind of stands by itself, alone, too.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 1, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

HerraS posted:

Well how do you feel about the idea of one vampire clan's signature power not being a vampire power at all but a virus from space? What about vampires with time travel?

that's no less stupid than anything else in the series. "hi my dad hates god so much i got cused with Lethal Ugly."

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

it is however wildly inconsistent with everything else, but thank you for your searing hot take from twenty years ago

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
It's no more inconsistent than "The Tremere" so I don't understand why you're rehashing a grudge against a book from 20 years ago.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

The books premise was so out of place and got such a backlash that White Wolf went out of their way to say that everything in it was bullshit and wrong, so the people writing the game apparently disagreed with you

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ElNarez posted:

Modiphius are doing a Fall of London preview on Twitch, also I guess this is a cover reveal? anyway here we are

https://twitter.com/Modiphius/status/1189972246397431809

It definitely wasn't us, not at all nosiree.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

HerraS posted:

The books premise was so out of place and got such a backlash that White Wolf went out of their way to say that everything in it was bullshit and wrong, so the people writing the game apparently disagreed with you

:rolleyes:

I've got zero problems disagreeing with nerd rapists and their enablers.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but temporis is cool

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The real silly aspect to the Time powers was that they were the 'true' aspect of the silly Speed powers, but only found in the real descendants of one of the umpteen clans that got Speed powers

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Gerund posted:

The real silly aspect to the Time powers was that they were the 'true' aspect of the silly Speed powers, but only found in the real descendants of one of the umpteen clans that got Speed powers
Also in combat the Time powers were flatly worse than the Speed powers until you got enough Temporis to get "Celerity but you can take Discipline actions too" while until that point Celerity-users were already taking 3 or 4 more actions than everyone else.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
"what if vampires but The Thing" is unacceptable, however, "what if vampires but Voodoo," "what if vampires but Sex Pistols," "what if vampires but EgyptEgyptEgypt?" A-OK. PS all vampires are descendants from Caine except the ones who aren't. But even then, Maybe.

Old World Of Darkness is a LARP where everyone is dressed like Neo hiding behind curtains just muttering "vlah!" over and over.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Here's a thought exercise for you: Is Caine a vampire?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

"what if vampires but The Thing" is unacceptable, however, "what if vampires but Voodoo," "what if vampires but Sex Pistols," "what if vampires but EgyptEgyptEgypt?" A-OK. PS all vampires are descendants from Caine except the ones who aren't. But even then, Maybe.

Old World Of Darkness is a LARP where everyone is dressed like Neo hiding behind curtains just muttering "vlah!" over and over.

The ennui denotes the mark of the true fan.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mulva posted:

Here's a thought exercise for you: Is Set a vampire?

Fixed this for you.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Mulva posted:

Is he even technically undead?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mulva posted:

Dude apparently is an obligatory blood drinker which seems to be the core qualification. On what grounds is he not?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

There's a significant difference between saying "OK we're adding a new obscure bloodline of vampires-but-Voodoo that you can play if you want to" and "you know those vampires you were already playing? Yeah they're all the Thing and you're hosed, sucks to be you".

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

LatwPIAT posted:

There's a significant difference between saying "OK we're adding a new obscure bloodline of vampires-but-Voodoo that you can play if you want to" and "you know those vampires you were already playing? Yeah they're all the Thing and you're hosed, sucks to be you".

I'm pretty sure the only book where they tacked on the "...and you're hosed" bit was in Gehenna. Which was kinda the point of a big, line-ending event book, really.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Today's Disturbing Implication post: The Smiling Lord has been replaced several times. This is a well known fact.

But he was last replaced in 1998 by a wraith less than a year old. There is thus no way he could have conspired with the Dark Kingdom of Jade to the extent he's supposed to have - or rather, the persona-mask of the Smiling Lord can but not the Lord himself. It's an incredibly good piece of commentary on the nature of war and violence when taken with Ends of Empire as it transforms the issue of 'why would he betray us?' into a critique of the very idea of unchecked violence in a civil society as inherently treacherous, disloyal, and incompatible with anything but totalitarianism. Why is every Smiling Lord a traitor who inevitably conspires against Charon and Stygia? Because every Smiling Lord personifies a fascist love of violence in-itself, and thus by assuming the mantle, must betray.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nessus posted:

Dude apparently is an obligatory blood drinker which seems to be the core qualification. On what grounds is he not?

Well, he never died.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, he never died.
Adam and Eve didn't have a mom, were they not human?

I mean to a certain extent any continuity errors don't matter because God (who has exceeded the 20th level of experience as a wizard) was involved.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, I feel like "is a dead thing wandering around" is a fairly important bit of being a vampire, and if Cain didn't die then he isn't that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Loomer posted:

Today's Disturbing Implication post: The Smiling Lord has been replaced several times. This is a well known fact.

But he was last replaced in 1998 by a wraith less than a year old. There is thus no way he could have conspired with the Dark Kingdom of Jade to the extent he's supposed to have - or rather, the persona-mask of the Smiling Lord can but not the Lord himself. It's an incredibly good piece of commentary on the nature of war and violence when taken with Ends of Empire as it transforms the issue of 'why would he betray us?' into a critique of the very idea of unchecked violence in a civil society as inherently treacherous, disloyal, and incompatible with anything but totalitarianism. Why is every Smiling Lord a traitor who inevitably conspires against Charon and Stygia? Because every Smiling Lord personifies a fascist love of violence in-itself, and thus by assuming the mantle, must betray.

Ohshit, I didn't know that. I knew about the replaced Emerald Lord, but not the Smiling Lord.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, I feel like "is a dead thing wandering around" is a fairly important bit of being a vampire, and if Cain didn't die then he isn't that.
By this cockamamie reasoning, a Garou channeling an ancestor spirit is more a vampire than the ur-vampire himself. A Risen! A wraith using Inhabit! A Hollow One! Granted a Hollow One would probably be more Goth than Caine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ohshit, I didn't know that. I knew about the replaced Emerald Lord, but not the Smiling Lord.

There's been at least three Smiling Lords - two chosen directly by Charon, and one by the other Deathlords. He's probably the most replaced of all the Deathlords.