Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I forgot. Can the PM cancel Brexit without a parliament vote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Eschenique posted:

I am not entirely certain, and believe not. But then there's the legal question of "what if they do so without asking parliament, and the EU agrees, but the supreme court LATER rules it unlawful"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Eschenique posted:

In theory, yes, the PM has the power of Royal Prerogative, which includes amending international treaties without consulting Parliament.

In reality, who knows, there'd probably be court cases on it all the way up to the Supreme Court by the Brexiteers this time.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

ed: or

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 1, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I am not entirely certain, and believe not. But then there's the legal question of "what if they do so without asking parliament, and the EU agrees, but the supreme court LATER rules it unlawful"

I suspect that it would have to be revoked by the same process it was invoked, and it was invoked via an act of parliament IIRC.

Not least because the PM cannot unilaterally overrule an act of parliament.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

isn't that what would happen if Kirby wore the crown? Surely if Kirby ate the crown it would gain the powers of the Crown and people could wear it to become like Kirby. in this hundred-thousand word illustrated fanfiction epic, I will

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Eschenique posted:

it's murky
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47668466

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Angepain posted:

isn't that what would happen if Kirby wore the crown? Surely if Kirby ate the crown it would gain the powers of the Crown and people could wear it to become like Kirby. in this hundred-thousand word illustrated fanfiction epic, I will

There's already horny versions of kirbette just use image search and hurt your wrists that way.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Okay but can we agree that if say....PM Corbyn cancelled Brexit.

His opponents and some supporters would probably condemn him for the rest of his life. But would a parliamentary majority be willing to start up article 50 again? Or would they just be content to be rid of this hot potato?

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

I'd trust infowars before the bbc these days

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Rarity posted:

That campaign map is the dogs bollocks.

e: We already thought that Getvoting was bad but now they've gone too far!

https://twitter.com/mikegapes/status/1190020184603541508

reminder that mike gapes is the person responsible for it being leave/remain

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

So Tess is just a loving pricktease, because 1pm has come and gone and nothing happened here apart from a bunch of sick perverts who should be banned showed up. Explain, please.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eschenique posted:

His opponents and some supporters would probably condemn him for the rest of his life. But would a parliamentary majority be willing to start up article 50 again? Or would they just be content to be rid of this hot potato?

Brexit is a poison chalice so I doubt any politician worth their salt would want to do it, but idiot fringe parties desperate for power would probably bang the drum on it.

Also in that instance the tories would be an idiot fringe party.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

So Kirby eats the Crown, and becomes a Crown Kirby with the power that anyone who wears Crown Kirby and can eat things to gain their power.

So the question is, what happens if Kirby eats the Mace in Parliament?

Jedit posted:

So Tess is just a loving pricktease, because 1pm has come and gone and nothing happened here apart from a bunch of sick perverts who should be banned showed up. Explain, please.
This is a powerful metaphor for Brexit.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Eschenique posted:

Labour's current policy (as decided at convention, please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going from memory here) is that whatever deal is negotiated by a Labour government will be put to a Remain vs. That Deal referendum. It seems clear to me that if Remain won that referendum, the govt would revoke a50.

I don't think it's particularly meaningful to ask what would happen if a Labour government did something it's pretty much said it won't do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Superterranean posted:

I don't think it's particularly meaningful to ask what would happen if a Labour government did something it's pretty much said it won't do.

I mean, people would still wail and gnash teeth if a second referendum returned remain so it is sort of relevant.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think it's fairly irrelevant - any parliament that would elect a PM willing to unilaterally revoke would also ratify an Act to do it.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, people would still wail and gnash teeth

Brexit In A Nutshell

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/michael_chessum/status/1190242180109078531
This is actually slick as loving hell. Might even be motivated to go out canvassing rather than just chucking some cash.

this is cool but what moron created a map that zooms in on both left AND right double click. my scroll wheel is broken how am i meant to zoom

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
EDIT ^^^^^^^^ looks like my nearest marginals are Plymouth and Brizzle. Think I'm going to be booking even more buses over the next few weeks

I thought I'd feel really bad about this election and I'm still sensibly pessimistic but I'm surprised and pleased to find how much it's put wind in my sails.

I've been spoiling for a loving fight for years, feels good

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 1, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Embrace the optimism, it's good for you. You can go back to being a miseryguts if we lose, but until then you get to be heckin mad.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

[waits patiently in guinness]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CptAwesome posted:

this is cool but what moron created a map that zooms in on both left AND right double click. my scroll wheel is broken how am i meant to zoom
1) Get AutoHotkey.
2)
code:
~Control & Up::Send {WheelUp}
~Control & Down::Send {WheelDown}
Your scroll wheel is now Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

Embrace the optimism, it's good for you. You can go back to being a miseryguts if we lose, but until then you get to be heckin mad.

Hell yeh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BllVCapIXk

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

I thought I'd feel really bad about this election and I'm still sensibly pessimistic but I'm surprised and pleased to find how much it's put wind in my sails.

I've been spoiling for a loving fight for years, feels good

I'm a strange mixture of hopeful that some things might go well, excited about the Absolute Scenes that will inevitably come from an election process, exhausted in advance of having to sit through actual campaigning, and dreading the possibility that those predictions might be true about the tories going big against trans people to get the culture war vote energised, that's going to be fun, and mostly just trying not to think about what happens if the tories get a majority for the sake of my general sanity

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

United Kingdom of Great Brizzle and Northizzle Izzleland

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm probably just being paranoid but it sure is suspicious how many Labour organising emails get caught in my junk filter despite me repeatedly confirming they're not spam...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/LeftoriumThe/status/1190261262778871810?s=19

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

eh, all three parties have candidates everywhere, it's not some conspiracy

e: did I miss anyone pointing out that the brexit party is probably good for Labour even in leave-y northern seats? In a lab/con marginal there will be more leave Tory voters than leave labour voters, and the Tory side is more likely to lust for no deal death

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 1, 2019

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Qwertycoatl posted:

eh, all three parties have candidates everywhere, it's not some conspiracy.

Goes directly against their stated aims though. Can anyone name a Lib Dem policy other than “stop brexit”? Best way to achieve that is by not standing candidates in marginal labour seats with a strong remain vote, where they themselves have no chance of winning. Tbh I think it would be good for them; start rebuilding some of the trust that was so badly betrayed with the coalition.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's perhaps relevant when your entire electoral platform is "we want to stop brexit"

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Come to think of it, it might be a good idea for the OP to contain a general reminder to keep good care of your own mental health as a top priority. The election period is going to be stressful for a lot of people and it can often feel like you're obliged to pay attention to all the bad stuff that's happening and go above and beyond your own capacity for doing stuff to help, but wearing yourself out and ruining your own mental health isn't actually a good thing to do or to aim for. it's okay to switch off for a while and come back stronger. something along those lines, maybe put some numbers to helpines, even.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Angepain posted:

Come to think of it, it might be a good idea for the OP to contain a general reminder to keep good care of your own mental health as a top priority. The election period is going to be stressful for a lot of people and it can often feel like you're obliged to pay attention to all the bad stuff that's happening and go above and beyond your own capacity for doing stuff to help, but wearing yourself out and ruining your own mental health isn't actually a good thing to do or to aim for. it's okay to switch off for a while and come back stronger. something along those lines, maybe put some numbers to helpines, even.

Agreed

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Qwertycoatl posted:

e: did I miss anyone pointing out that the brexit party is probably good for Labour even in leave-y northern seats? In a lab/con marginal there will be more leave Tory voters than leave labour voters, and the Tory side is more likely to lust for no deal death

It's not so great when the Lib Dems are also crying that Labour are basically crypto-hyper leavers because Corbyn has the gall to run potentially anti-semitic Eurosceptics in every seat where a Lib Dem is clearly the only chance to stop Johnson getting elected as the representative of every Parliamentary seat and renaming the country the United Kingdom of Great Brexits and still in a customs union Ireland.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

People not voting chat:

A friend is a brexiteer. She's disgusted (as are her entire brexiteer family) that brexit hasn't happened.
"It's disgusting" quoth she "we've been diddled out of our vote. They're going to steal our brexit. I'm never voting again and neither are any of the brexit voters I know, what's the point?"

I wonder how many leave supporters will take the same attitude and simply not bother to vote this election?

All of them hopefully. Also every future election

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Sanford posted:

Goes directly against their stated aims though. Can anyone name a Lib Dem policy other than “stop brexit”? Best way to achieve that is by not standing candidates in marginal labour seats with a strong remain vote, where they themselves have no chance of winning. Tbh I think it would be good for them; start rebuilding some of the trust that was so badly betrayed with the coalition.

See, you think their aim is "stop brexit" rather than "get power by any means necessary"

Lib dems would allies with the Brexit party if it gave them more power. I guess there is something about liberalism that attracts the "me first" personality....

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

in terms of their intentions at least, the lib dem membership is probably self-selected for people not keen on the argument that third parties should stand down and let the bigger two fight it out. i'd imagine they have a few chips on their shoulder about that sort of thing.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

See, you think their aim is "stop brexit" rather than "get power by any means necessary"

Lib dems would allies with the Brexit party if it gave them more power. I guess there is something about liberalism that attracts the "me first" personality....

I'd like to think that the Piss Diamonds are smart enough to realise that betraying their 'Stop Brexit' stance would ruin them.

But I remember the 2010 election so I'm not so sure.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Hey UKMT, come contribute to my awesome new thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I can't even blame the Lib Dems (too much) For going full Tory crony.

Before the coalition they had some liberal left wing voters and some liberal right wing voters. Their coalition with the Tories demonstrably lost them all the left wing voters. A coalition with Labour would not return any of those voters but would absolutely lose them their remaining liberal right wing voters and probably kill the party.

I just wish they wouldn't pay so much lip service to the "rational middle ground" when they are 100% right wing stooges.