Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Eratik posted:

Hello cat thread.

Cat mad.

Does she have anywhere to climb and be above things or is she limited to floor and back of couch height? Not having high places to perch and watch can drive some cats really bonkers.

I may have been watching my cat from hell a lot recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.
The video in question (needs sound, but warning for extremely loud cat screeching): https://imgur.com/a/PaZHjFf

I think a lot of what stressed he out here was that once she panicked, she felt like she was trapped between the two of us. I was hesitant to leave my girlfriend alone with the cat, for obvious reasons. I had got downstairs to get a cat toy in a lame attempt to redirect the aggression. Eventually my gf got out without being swiped, and we abandoned the bedroom for downstairs. 15 minutes later the cat came down like nothing happened.

Boogalo posted:

Does she have anywhere to climb and be above things or is she limited to floor and back of couch height? Not having high places to perch and watch can drive some cats really bonkers.

I may have been watching my cat from hell a lot recently.

There are shelves she could climb on if she was feeling adventerous but she hasn't shown much interest in even climbing counters. A cat tree is probably a good idea, though.

Eratik fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 31, 2019

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

That cat whisperer dude with the funny facial hair on TV is always suggesting accessible high places for stressed out and uncomfortable cats. It gives them a sense of safety, security, and control. Let the cat have its power-spot, and just leave the cat alone whenever it retreats to its power-spot. Seems to work out pretty well in most cases.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Some cats also like dark hidey-hole spaces for hiding when they're freaked out, so I'd make sure there's an accessible option for that, as well as somewhere accessible and high

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Hm. So normally an angry cat/annoyed cat will growl first (very obviously) before attacking and then running off, which is what most people will describe when the describe aggression in cats. That does not sound like an angry cat, that sounds like a TERRIFIED cat. I'm not sure what's setting her off but she is scared as gently caress and I'm not surprised she's drawing blood in that state. Getting her a cat tree is probably going to help (cats feel much less afraid if they have a high place to retreat to) but in the meantime I'd pay close attention and try to see if there's something that's consistently scaring her. Loud noises, certain movements from you, something is triggering it. I wish I could help narrow it down. I will say don't even bother trying to redirect with a toy when she's doing that. She thinks she's going to die, toys aren't going to get her attention at all.

Also I'll throw this advice out there, don't ever put your hand over the top of the cat's head when you're coming in to pet. Especially if you're feeling scared of her, she'll pick up on this, and think of your hand as an enemy. Make a loose fist, hold it out for her to sniff and let her rub her face on your fingers. That's the go-signal for petting.

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.

Antivehicular posted:

Some cats also like dark hidey-hole spaces for hiding when they're freaked out, so I'd make sure there's an accessible option for that, as well as somewhere accessible and high

We've been trying to set up little hiding spots, but she's not all that interested in exploring the apartment. She had been hiding under our bed, but since the night in the video we've been keeping the door closed so we have somewhere to go. Previously we'd been letting her in overnight and she would sleep on the bed sometimes. I'm sure she's not happy about that, but we do need to be able to sleep. For a couple nights she'd scratch at the door, but that's slowed down.

mistaya posted:

Hm. So normally an angry cat/annoyed cat will growl first (very obviously) before attacking and then running off, which is what most people will describe when the describe aggression in cats. That does not sound like an angry cat, that sounds like a TERRIFIED cat. I'm not sure what's setting her off but she is scared as gently caress and I'm not surprised she's drawing blood in that state. Getting her a cat tree is probably going to help (cats feel much less afraid if they have a high place to retreat to) but in the meantime I'd pay close attention and try to see if there's something that's consistently scaring her. Loud noises, certain movements from you, something is triggering it. I wish I could help narrow it down. I will say don't even bother trying to redirect with a toy when she's doing that. She thinks she's going to die, toys aren't going to get her attention at all.

Also I'll throw this advice out there, don't ever put your hand over the top of the cat's head when you're coming in to pet. Especially if you're feeling scared of her, she'll pick up on this, and think of your hand as an enemy. Make a loose fist, hold it out for her to sniff and let her rub her face on your fingers. That's the go-signal for petting.

I definitely agree that she's scared. The things that trigger her are extremely minor and unpredictable. It would be a lot easier if her reaction was to run away and hide.

You're right about the petting. She didnt used to mind, but now she'll (usually) meow if we try to pet from above her head. She doesn't swipe or bite in those cases.

Definitely going to try the cat tree idea, thanks for everyone who's suggested it.

Eratik fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 31, 2019

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Eratik posted:

We've been trying to set up little hiding spots, but she's not all that interested in exploring the apartment. She had been hiding under our bed, but since the night in the video we've been keeping the door closed so we have somewhere to go. Previously we'd been letting her in overnight and she would sleep on the bed sometimes. I'm sure she's not happy about that, but we do need to be able to sleep. For a couple nights she'd scratch at the door, but that's slowed down.

I definitely agree that she's scared. The things that trigger her are extremely minor and unpredictable. It would be a lot easier if her reaction was to run away and hide.

You're right about the petting. She didnt used to mind, but now she'll (usually) meow if we try to pet from above her head. She doesn't swipe or bite in those cases.

Definitely going to try the cat tree idea, thanks for everyone who's suggested it.

Another thought, and I may be reaching here, but you might want to take her in for a vet visit. IIRC this all started after you lifted her down from a counter, and I'm wondering if she has belly or joint pain that hurt (through no fault of yours) when you lifted her, and now she's associating you with that.

Again, it's a stretch, but it's something I'd want to rule out.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Agreed, any extremely sudden behavior change should lead to a vet visit. They can also suggest meds if they deem it necessary though they're a super last resort for behavioral problems.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I've been slowly introducing Wojo cat to my mom's chihuahua mix and it's going surprisingly well. They were simply curious at the start and now they're pretty good buddies, they like to chase each other around the house playing hide and seek. I doubt they'll snuggle up and nap together anytime soon but it's an easy way to exercise them.

pictured: 5lbs each dog and cat, they're smol

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
attach bat-wings to black cat, make 'em look like a cryptid

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

This looks cute but it's more of ET messing with Fyodor.

Fyo dosen't usually mind he'll put ET in his place if he's had enough

see no weevil
Oct 31, 2019
I've been trying to coach a stray cat into the apartment the past month or so. She's spayed for some reason (had a bad case of fleas, and I could see the spay tattoo) and is friendly--I suspect she was abandoned by somebody. She's at the point where she'll stick around in the apartment for a bit if I get water out, but will want to go out the second I close the door.

It's getting cold, and I want to transition her to being an indoor cat. Problem is, I need to get her to the vet, because she had fleas and DEFINITELY has worms, alongside the potential for cat STDs that I do not want my other cat getting. She does not like crates, and is nervous around me standing up (in prime cat-picking-up stance) after the last time I tried to get her there.

Can somebody please convince me that if I drug her, chuck her in a cage, and take her to the vet she's not going to run out of the apartment and hate me forever the second she gets a chance (alternatively, tips on getting her in there peacefully)? Last time I tried to get her to the vet, I freaked her out when I tried to her her in the crate.

Alternatively, would a vet house call be feasible for bloodwork? There are a lot of mobile/on-call vets in the area because I live in horse girl country.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

see no weevil posted:

I've been trying to coach a stray cat into the apartment the past month or so. She's spayed for some reason (had a bad case of fleas, and I could see the spay tattoo) and is friendly--I suspect she was abandoned by somebody. She's at the point where she'll stick around in the apartment for a bit if I get water out, but will want to go out the second I close the door.

It's getting cold, and I want to transition her to being an indoor cat. Problem is, I need to get her to the vet, because she had fleas and DEFINITELY has worms, alongside the potential for cat STDs that I do not want my other cat getting. She does not like crates, and is nervous around me standing up (in prime cat-picking-up stance) after the last time I tried to get her there.

Can somebody please convince me that if I drug her, chuck her in a cage, and take her to the vet she's not going to run out of the apartment and hate me forever the second she gets a chance (alternatively, tips on getting her in there peacefully)? Last time I tried to get her to the vet, I freaked her out when I tried to her her in the crate.

Alternatively, would a vet house call be feasible for bloodwork? There are a lot of mobile/on-call vets in the area because I live in horse girl country.

Just grab her and stuff her in a crate. She's going to hate you for it no matter what, there's no pleasant way to do it.

She's also a cat. You're not going to traumatize her. She'll get over it in a couple hours.

If you want to tame her, feed her.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

You could get a no kill trap like gets used for raccoons and such, stick the food in there, and voila, she's crated.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Alternatively house call vet could work really well if she doesn't mind strangers.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

You probably don't want to resort to drugs for a lot of reasons like, she runs off and collapses in the woods somewhere and can't defend herself. No bueno. Look into humane traps if she's super skittish but if she accepts pets from you just scruff her rear end and shove her in a carrier. She'll get over it. You can also give flea treatments and dewormers without having to go to a vet usually though it'd be good to have her checked for other things.

Protip: put a towel over the carrier so she can't see out of it, and it'll be a lot less stressful for her. If you're worried she'll fight if you scruff her you can also drop a towel over her directly and throw the cat into the carrier towel and all.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't think I've ever posted about this, but my Salem cat has an odd habit of licking labels on Amazon boxes. Anyone else's cat do that? It's definitely the labels, I don't know if he likes the taste of the paper or ink or something?

I don't usually let him do it, considering a label is only technically edible. Just a funny odd thing that the cat in my avatar do.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yes, your cat is weird. Just like every other cat.

One of mine tries to eat plastic packaging and packing material.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Protocol7 posted:

I don't think I've ever posted about this, but my Salem cat has an odd habit of licking labels on Amazon boxes. Anyone else's cat do that? It's definitely the labels, I don't know if he likes the taste of the paper or ink or something?

I don't usually let him do it, considering a label is only technically edible. Just a funny odd thing that the cat in my avatar do.

Ours like adhesive! Tape, labels, glue in boxes if it still is a bit sticky. Post it notes aren't good enough, though.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Mine likes to perforate holes in plastic bags. Just punch a bunch of little holes in it.

He also expresses himself and his art with cardboard deconstruction

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

We have one that will bite and tear paper when she wants my attention. Particularly when she thinks her food is overdue.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Neela approves of the rug we picked up in Turkey. 10/10 would roll around on again.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Sam will obsessively lick 6-pack bottle plastic rings so we have to cut them so he doesn't make a seagull of himself. It's not any other plastic, JUST bottle rings.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008
I put plastic bags near where my cats perch to look outside so they can lick it when they get excited. They don't do the chittering, they just lick the bag with serious passion. Never chewing, just licking. If I'm petting them and I do butt scritches they try to lick me the same pace that I scritch their butt/back, if they cant get me they lick their paws.

Weirdos.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
^^ On purpose? Are you the one who the "this bag is not a toy, may cause suffocation, keep away from children and pets" warnings are for?

Our cat also perforates any large plastic wrappers he finds until they are ruined. We try to keep them away from him but it's hard during moving. Our vet put him on Fluoxetine for this behavior ("pica") but he still goes crazy on plastic packing tape and food wrappers just as much as always. He's learned positive reinforcement because we chase him off every time, which at least gets our attention so he can beg for food I guess.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yikes, I would not leave them alone with them, much less give them plastic bags ON PURPOSE. I guarantee you they will try and eat them. I've absolutely found plastic and floss in my cats' poop.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Terry likes scratching my couch. He prefers to scratch other things sometimes but the couch scratching reliably gets my attention. Sometimes I spray him with water to shoo him away, sometimes I try and distract him with play, and sometimes I ignore it or leave the room. The last one is probably the best choice behaviorally but it has the disadvantage that my couch is really messed up now.

Double sided tape has been ineffective because there's a lot of places he can scratch on the whole couch. Clipping his nails is sort of helpful but not for long and he is back to scratching as soon as possible. What else could I try?

Look I'm dumb and sad

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Does he have access to other things to scratch? Do they simulate the same height/texture? Does he do it all the time or is it only when he wants one of the things you sometimes give him when he does it?

Edit: to be clear these are real questions , not "obviously things you should have checked haha!". Sometimes cats are cats and you can just never have a couch you love. Basil claws at the leather chair I sit in. But nothing else? Cool, nice cat. There's no reason other than zoomies. When he zoomies, leather is the only choice. ????

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yikes, I would not leave them alone with them, much less give them plastic bags ON PURPOSE. I guarantee you they will try and eat them. I've absolutely found plastic and floss in my cats' poop.

In 5 years they have never done more than lick plastic bags. When it first started it was a "supervised only" activity, like like letting them outside on my 2nd floor balcony. My little guys hardly throw up.

I appreciate the concern but I would never ever do anything to put my buddies in danger. I love those little jerks more than 99% of my extended family. I've had a cat die from peritonitis before(E:when I was a kid), it will [large]never ever happen again[/large].

Nazattack fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 3, 2019

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

re: Couch scratching don't use the water bottle it's not effective. Get one of those short stand alone pole scratchers and put it directly in front of wherever he likes to scratch most. Most cats get the idea and would prefer a post to your furniture anyways. Reward scratching on the post with pets and treats to really reinforce that's what he should be doing.

e: Most cat problems are fixed by redirecting the cat's natural behavior to an appropriate target, you'll never stop the cat from scratching, but you can get it to scratch something that isn't your couch.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

You can also get a cheap yard of couch fabric online and put it on a post if it's specifically the texture your cat likes.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

If you've tried a few redirection strategies already without luck, there's one aversive you haven't tried - the anti scratch sprays that are based on essential oils of rosemary and thyme and similar were very effective for me when Effy would scratch all her human-approved scratch zones but also the seats of my new dining chairs. If we put the scratching cardboard pads (her favorite) on the chairs, she'd knock them off deliberately and then roughly 75% of the time jump off and go for the cardboard, but often enough she'd then go back for the chair.

Downside is that with the spray on, your cat won't want to get on the couch to lay around either. Once the behavior is trained out you can usually stop the spray, and then they may learn that the couch is good for scritches and cuddles without relearning that it's good for scratching, though ymmv.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Terry likes scratching my couch. He prefers to scratch other things sometimes but the couch scratching reliably gets my attention.

Ours does this too, she has other scratchers that she uses normally and she only does this to get our attention. Same with getting into the plants, if she's huffy about it not being feeding time just yet or wants attention she'll do things that she KNOWS she's not allowed to do because we'll react. If she just wants a good scratch she'll use her post or the cardboard furniture.
We just tell her off or remove her, but it's super annoying teenager behaviour that I'm guessing will eventually stop if we stay consistent?

This reminds me, Katya is very mad about daylight savings time but we're slowly pushing feeding time forward anyway. Is that what you guys do too? I feel bad for her because she's essentially right about it being dinner time, except time has changed in a way she doesn't understand.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Ours does this too, she has other scratchers that she uses normally and she only does this to get our attention. Same with getting into the plants, if she's huffy about it not being feeding time just yet or wants attention she'll do things that she KNOWS she's not allowed to do because we'll react. If she just wants a good scratch she'll use her post or the cardboard furniture.
We just tell her off or remove her, but it's super annoying teenager behaviour that I'm guessing will eventually stop if we stay consistent?

It will absolutely not stop if you stay consistent because she is trying to get your attention and is in fact getting her desired result. (Most) cats don't have an innate desire to please and don't care if you don't like them doing a thing beyond noting it as a way to get your attention. You need to make the behaviour itself an undesirable thing for her, for example by putting bitter apple spray on the plants so it tastes awful to chew them.

Ignoring the behaviour might work but sometimes doesn't because if they do the thing long enough you might do the thing they want just because it's that time and that reinforces it again.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Nov 2, 2019

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

I fed the cat early accidentally after DST because I hadn't changed the time on the oven clock. The next day I fed her at the right time. I figure an hours' difference isn't worth being gradual about - it's not going to be harmful for cats to feel hungry for an extra hour for a few days.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Organza Quiz posted:

It will absolutely not stop if you stay consistent because she is trying to get your attention and is in fact getting her desired result. (Most) cats don't have an innate desire to please and don't care if you don't like them doing a thing beyond noting it as a way to get your attention. You need to make the behaviour itself an undesirable thing for her, for example by putting bitter apple spray on the plants so it tastes awful to chew them.

Ignoring the behaviour might work but sometimes doesn't because if they do the thing long enough you might do the thing they want just because it's that time and that reinforces it again.

Ignoring her was out of the question anyway because she'll just repeat and ramp up the unwanted behaviour until we pay attention, we have given her time-outs in the other room and that seems to calm her down a bit. Usually she does this if she wants food NOW and we never give in so she's not being rewarded that way.

I don't quite know how to make wanting to dig in a planter or swatting at the leaves undesirable, maybe some sort of grate? She never does it when we're not around, so it's definitely just a cry for attention. She won't touch the sofa or the plants if you see what's she's about to do and lock eyes with her, the clever little poo poo.

Bollock Monkey posted:

I fed the cat early accidentally after DST because I hadn't changed the time on the oven clock. The next day I fed her at the right time. I figure an hours' difference isn't worth being gradual about - it's not going to be harmful for cats to feel hungry for an extra hour for a few days.

Yeah, I know it's not harmful, she just has an extremely accurate internal clock and doesn't understand DST. The betrayal on the first day was palpable (and loud), I just hope it goes away as she gets used to the new feeding times.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Ignoring her was out of the question anyway because she'll just repeat and ramp up the unwanted behaviour until we pay attention, we have given her time-outs in the other room and that seems to calm her down a bit. Usually she does this if she wants food NOW and we never give in so she's not being rewarded that way.

I don't quite know how to make wanting to dig in a planter or swatting at the leaves undesirable, maybe some sort of grate? She never does it when we're not around, so it's definitely just a cry for attention. She won't touch the sofa or the plants if you see what's she's about to do and lock eyes with her, the clever little poo poo.

I think you will have to do two things: 1) give her more appropriate targets in the same room, and then 2) give her all possible attention (including treats) when she uses the appropriate targets until she gets the message.

Cats definitely have preferences for scratch surfaces - one of mine preferred nice thick denim on a big padded post, and the current one likes a wide swath of carpet tacked to a four-foot long, 1x10 board that leans against the wall. (The carpet ramp is actually attractive, since it is finished with nice wooden side borders) Finding an alternative to the plants is harder, but perhaps one sacrificial silk plant might work...

A third thing would be to make the couch and real plants less desirable (e.g. cover the couch with plastic for a while, and cover the plants' soil with crumpled aluminum foil staked down with chopsticks). If that doesn't work, I've had good luck by putting my plants on rolling stands so that they move when my guy puts his paws up. (It also makes it easier to tend the plants, so double win).

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 2, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Local library has a cat rescue here with some kittens

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Cosy kittens!

Came here to alert y'all to the fact that my cat is VERY cute and has the fuzziest beans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Im thinkin bout those beans