Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Armacham posted:

What are some good starts to learn how to play as an Islamic character? I've only ever really played as christian or pagan.

I just want to point out one thing that makes quite a difference between Muslims and other rulers:

You can revoke duchies (and retract vassals) for free as a Muslim ruler. Is some super-duke amassing titles and becoming a threat to you? Revoke his extraneous duchies! He may fight against you, but your other vassals won't mind.

This makes realm management much easier than it is for basically everybody who doesn't have Imperial Administration yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:ohdearsass:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I don't see the issue, be happy that your character will soon be murdered meet his end, and you get to play as the Spawn of Satan your upstanding son.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Torrannor posted:

I don't see the issue, be happy that your character will soon be murdered meet his end, and you get to play as the Spawn of Satan your upstanding son.

the Spawn of Satan event is usually a pretty wild ride

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
What’s the advantage of starting in Canaries versus Marrakech and just moving your capital one province over?

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mister Olympus posted:

What’s the advantage of starting in Canaries versus Marrakech and just moving your capital one province over?

Feudal/Iqta can't become Tribal which you need to be if you're planning on founding a MR, but if you're planning on staying Iqta then sure that's the smart thing to do.

e: except, on second thought, it isn't, because if you're already in Marrakech then just stay there, Canarias holdings are pretty bad and even if you're starting there one of your top priorities is probably to get off the island

GHOST_BUTT fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 1, 2019

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The other dynasty perks have to be real good to not make me pick blood every time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
give me a dynasty perk that makes my uncontrolled dynasts not act like stupid pieces of poo poo and i'll take those every time

perk: WILL ONLY ENTER INTO MARRIAGES AS DOMINANT PARTNER loving sold

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Coolguye posted:

give me a dynasty perk that makes my uncontrolled dynasts not act like stupid pieces of poo poo and i'll take those every time

perk: WILL ONLY ENTER INTO MARRIAGES AS DOMINANT PARTNER loving sold

perk: Will stop asking if I can marry my first cousin and create inbred abominations if not Zoroastrian

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

perk: Will stop asking if I can marry my first cousin and create inbred abominations if not Zoroastrian

:hai:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I just want something to get steppe Khans to stop begging me for marriages every month

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's nice to have a giant steppe army as back up, though

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Randaconda posted:

It's nice to have a giant steppe army as back up, though

Is it worth the procession of horselords lining up to bang my mom before Dad's corpse is even cool?

yeah, probably

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was some way where the math of the Hapsburgs' genetics made some marrying couples who weren't even first cousins more genetically close than siblings.

Fast forward a couple hundred years and all the royals of Europe have hemophilia, Queen Victoria is everybody's grandmother, and all the royals are forced to get together regularly at family functions despite the fact that later they'll all send their respective subjects to murder eachother in a few years.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I know Paradox isn't working on CK2 anymore, but I think it's weird that dynastic prestige doesn't take into account how long a title was held. As the head of the Assassins I've been murdering my way through the Abbasid dynasty, and their dynastic prestige has shot up to insane levels because of all the people who have held the empire title for a total of one month before dying.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Feudal/Iqta can't become Tribal which you need to be if you're planning on founding a MR, but if you're planning on staying Iqta then sure that's the smart thing to do.

e: except, on second thought, it isn't, because if you're already in Marrakech then just stay there, Canarias holdings are pretty bad and even if you're starting there one of your top priorities is probably to get off the island

Basically all of north/west africa is tribal at 769 and the original post said 769 so I’m wondering what the diff is

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mister Olympus posted:

Basically all of north/west africa is tribal at 769 and the original post said 769 so I’m wondering what the diff is

Full disclosure it's been a while since I played that start so you are almost certainly right but I think I chose Canarias because islands are inherently defensible.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
nm

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 3, 2019

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

I feel like at some point the Canaries were the only tribal muslim start, which is why it's habit to make them a republic. I know Socotra used to be the perfect place to make an Indian Ocean republic because it was a self contained duchy so you could do the feudal -> republic rebel swap trick.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

New Monarch's Journey challenge has dropped! King Llywelyn II of Gwynedd. One challenge can only be done within the character's lifetime but looks easy enough: Marry 4 of your children to English-culture rulers or claimants. Another challenge requires you to be King of Wales and fully control the provinces of Anglesey, Rhos, Perfeddwlad, Powys, Ceredigion, Builth, Dyfed, Gwyr, Breconshire, Glywysing, and Gwent. The last one requires you to be Independent, Welsh, hold the Kingdom of Wales title, and have 9 Duke+ tier vassals of your dynasty and Welsh culture (illegitimate bastards do not count).

My current strat for this is gonna be to seduce loads of women, legitmize bastards and marry them off for the marriage goal, then restart and swear fealty to England and try to blob them from within before forming the kingdom of Wales.

Edit: Looks like a crusade is called for Egypt shortly after game start, too, so that could be a good source of cash and piety influx early on!

Double Edit: Immediately after the Crusade you might actually be able to Request an Invasion from the Pope, as a few realms have Free Investiture, which the Pope hates, and if you have the Crusader trait from participating in the war he'll like you even more. You'll have to make an alliance through marriage, though, in order to have the troops to back up such an invasion.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 2, 2019

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Was looking for cool starts in the iron century bookmark and wow there’s a Muslim republic in almeria with a Jewish patrician family . Gonna try that one later

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Hooo boy, I was the top warscore contributor for the Crusade, so I have 12k cash, 8k prestige and 4.5k piety. The Pope immediately sanctioned an invasion of England. I'm gonna try to get an alliance with the HRE, then hire as many high-level mercs as I can and roll over England. Looks like this challenge should be piss easy.

Edit: I now rule England. Remember, folks, when you wage an Invasion war, you usurp ALL holdings in a county if you occupy the capital holding, even outside of the target kingdom! You can usurp LOTS of holdings if you just move your siege stack around and just take control of each county's capital.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 3, 2019

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Neurion posted:

New Monarch's Journey challenge has dropped! King Llywelyn II of Gwynedd. One challenge can only be done within the character's lifetime but looks easy enough: Marry 4 of your children to English-culture rulers or claimants. Another challenge requires you to be King of Wales and fully control the provinces of Anglesey, Rhos, Perfeddwlad, Powys, Ceredigion, Builth, Dyfed, Gwyr, Breconshire, Glywysing, and Gwent. The last one requires you to be Independent, Welsh, hold the Kingdom of Wales title, and have 9 Duke+ tier vassals of your dynasty and Welsh culture (illegitimate bastards do not count).

My current strat for this is gonna be to seduce loads of women, legitmize bastards and marry them off for the marriage goal, then restart and swear fealty to England and try to blob them from within before forming the kingdom of Wales.

Edit: Looks like a crusade is called for Egypt shortly after game start, too, so that could be a good source of cash and piety influx early on!

Double Edit: Immediately after the Crusade you might actually be able to Request an Invasion from the Pope, as a few realms have Free Investiture, which the Pope hates, and if you have the Crusader trait from participating in the war he'll like you even more. You'll have to make an alliance through marriage, though, in order to have the troops to back up such an invasion.

I am utterly failing at surviving long enough to have enough babies to marry off to English culture rulers and claimants. GO AWAY SMALLPOX

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Allah bless the Rock of Gibralter. It's such a fantastic choke point.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
It sucks when you win a huge war or crusade and are suddenly way, way over the vassal limit. Goddamn I don’t want to spend the next 30 minutes painstakingly is reorganizing my entire vassal structure because it was already at the upper limit before the drat war.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Midnight Voyager posted:

I am utterly failing at surviving long enough to have enough babies to marry off to English culture rulers and claimants. GO AWAY SMALLPOX

You can change game rules to dynamic plague and still earn achievements.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

T-shirt spotted at Spiel 2019:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ilitarist posted:

You can change game rules to dynamic plague and still earn achievements.

I just restarted and got past it easily. Now I'm having problems with my idiot family vassals not counting like they should. I THINK I've traced it to some of them being women. I have five duke vassals of my dynasty, four are women, only one counts.

Maybe I should just do a run for that one achievement thing and go hard agnatic.

Oh yeah, I can't change the succession of my vassals so they're ending up women anyway. This is annoying!

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 3, 2019

Dec 30, 2008

Midnight Voyager posted:

I just restarted and got past it easily. Now I'm having problems with my idiot family vassals not counting like they should. I THINK I've traced it to some of them being women. I have five duke vassals of my dynasty, four are women, only one counts.

Maybe I should just do a run for that one achievement thing and go hard agnatic.

Oh yeah, I can't change the succession of my vassals so they're ending up women anyway. This is annoying!

They also all have to be Welsh which I just discovered the hard way. Important to read the fine print on these challenges.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i wish there were a more reliable way to go cathar because lord am i tired of doing a bunch of culture flips to either get tanistry (which doesn't really solve the problem because without full rights of women people act like dicks to female successors) or basque (which solves the problem better but still not really because you will get lots of opinion penalties for being a woman and/or having a female heir).

it'd be great to just be secretly cathar until you were a king or emperor and then go public for all of a month before switching back to catholicism by converting to the local province religion. gently caress all yall we are truecog with full female rights in the year 800 and if you don't like it get the gently caress out (or, alternatively, get the gently caress in to my dungeon so i can steal all your money and titles)

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

An Irish Cathar run can be fun as hell if you pop it early but you seriously need to spread the faith to France at the very least before the crusades start because otherwise the pope's gonna send a crusade to take back england every 10 years on repeat.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I swear I had nothing to do with this:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SirPhoebos posted:

I swear I had nothing to do with this:

I'm just surprised that there's Ashkenazi/Sephardi localization for titles.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
And now I don't have enough options for more landed family RRRRRRR

Never mind, thank god for a son who popped out two sets of male twins

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 4, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

An Irish Cathar run can be fun as hell if you pop it early but you seriously need to spread the faith to France at the very least before the crusades start because otherwise the pope's gonna send a crusade to take back england every 10 years on repeat.

there is no need to stay cathar, though, at least mechanically. the equality doctrine enforces full status of women and absolute cognatic, and that stays even after you drift away from the faith.

obviously it is mega gamey but after seeing my 5000th useful daughter mostly have to gently caress around because societal norms are bullshit i'm ready to just let badass bitches be badass bitches.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Coolguye posted:

there is no need to stay cathar, though, at least mechanically. the equality doctrine enforces full status of women and absolute cognatic, and that stays even after you drift away from the faith.

obviously it is mega gamey but after seeing my 5000th useful daughter mostly have to gently caress around because societal norms are bullshit i'm ready to just let badass bitches be badass bitches.

You could just change the base rules to make gender equality the default.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I need some advice here. This is the current situation for me:

I'm the King of Wessex (as a created kingdom, not the petty kingdom). I've got 3K troops and no allies. $537 in the bank with $11.75 coming in per month.

Mercia has 2K troops and are allied with the Karling-run Kingdom of Lotharinga, who have 1.2K troops and 4 boats.

Yorvik has 4K troops and no allies.

Irland has 4.7K troops and 5.7K potential vassal ally troops.

I have my one daughter betrothed to a Prince of the Byzantine Empire which had resulted in a non-agression pact, but that's disappeared. From what I can see, the family in charge of the B.E has changed and this dude is no longer in line to be in charge of poo poo. I've got 1 niece and 3 nephews who are all children and not betrothed. I've got a single son who is almost of age as my heir (I had another one who vanished without a trace at age 4, from what I hear this is a sign of devil worshippers?).

My plan so far is:
Break the betrothal of my daughter and marry her off to someone else for an alliance. Try to arrange betrothals for my nieces and nephews.
Force vassalization of Mercia (they won't accept it as an offer). I think I have enough troops plus money for mercenaries to take them down even if they call in Lotharinga.
Once I've vassalized Mercia and smoothed things over there along with gaining some allies, I should have enough power to take on one of the Viking kingdoms.
Yorvik seem to be the best target, but I don't want to Holy War them because then other Pagans might join in (Irland is still Pagan as well).

Is this the best plan of action? Would anyone do it differently? Also, what's the best way for me to take out Yorvik without the Holy War CB? If I have a claim on one of the counties in Mercia, can I force vassalize them without the prestige hit?

Lemon fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 4, 2019

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

Lemon posted:

I need some advice here. This is the current situation for me:

Definitely take Mercia asap. After you do, consider moving your capital to Essex and eating some tyranny to make your demesne the Duchy of. Including the baronies. Do you have access to retinues? Get some heavy infantry ones if you do. That's all optional of course.

Agreed that you should go after Jorvik next. I assume the King of Jorvik only has the singular Duchy title? If you really want to avoid the holy war CB, which would be smart, fabricate for all the counties of de jure Jorvik. The second you hold them all you can usurp the title and all the remaining counties will go independent. Even if Irland stay the same size you can then holy war the remaining single counties and assault the holding before Irland can move their troops close to you. Rinse, repeat, blob.

There is also the possibility that Irland gets involved in a civil war, in which case I'd holy war for York while they're distracted with the same goal breaking up Jorvik. If you're feeling cheeky and Irland's war is dragging on, kick them while they're down and holy war the biggest chunks of land you can from both sides.

Also don't forget Irland is still tribal, so most of their troop count is light infantry. Even if they can show up with a 10k stack, your feudal dudes have a good number of heavy infantry (hence the retinues suggestion). When you reach the point of being able to muster 7-8k you will beat Irland's army provided you aren't attacking across a river into hills and mountains.

As far as allies go, I've never had much luck with them doing anything useful even if they do join your war. But it couldn't hurt to try to get a continental power on your team. But its a two way street, even if Lotharinga joins Mercia, with 4 boats at best they're going to send a slow trickle of troops that aren't going to do much and shouldn't be considered for much when deciding when to attack.

Good luck!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

You could just change the base rules to make gender equality the default.

i always forget this exists, good call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Thanks for the advice Fuzzysocksucker, but things have taken a bit of a turn for the worse. I had just ticked over 1000 prestige needed for the forced vassalization and was giving it a few more months to build up my troops just to make sure; then I died from Smallpox.

My new guy has good stats and a genius wife, all my vassals are happy and I can command just about the same amount of troops, but I've got no prestige. I'm thinking now I might need to build up a bit more and try to take down Jorvik first...