Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

olives black posted:

Duke3D's enemies take poo poo tons of ammo to go down as well, though :confused:

look at this noob who isn't using the shrinkray properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
If Doom Eternal has powerup microtransactions then it's exploitative crap and it's a bad idea to buy it. l'll look the other way if the MTX is just cosmetic poo poo because I'm a pushover :blush:

olives black fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 31, 2019

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
Most RPGs are terrible. The only good ones are MMOs.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

olives black posted:

l'll look the other way if the MTX is just cosmetic poo poo because I'm a pushover :blush:

i'm going to just come out and say it: cosmetic micro-transactions are bullshit too! i used to like unlocking new costumes and poo poo back in the day. now no one ever implements a decent character creator because they want to to sell you cosmetic micro-transactions. i say boo! :argh:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The entire MMORPG paradigm where every player is just another tourist fighting for parity with everyone else on an atrificially level playing field is absolutely antithetical to everything that makes a good rpg

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Rutibex posted:

i'm going to just come out and say it: cosmetic micro-transactions are bullshit too! i used to like unlocking new costumes and poo poo back in the day. now no one ever implements a decent character creator because they want to to sell you cosmetic micro-transactions. i say boo! :argh:

Same :argh: Sell me a complete goddamn game

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

The entire MMORPG paradigm where every player is just another tourist fighting for parity with everyone else on an atrificially level playing field is absolutely antithetical to everything that makes a good rpg

the term "MMORPG" is a vestige from an earlier time when "RPG" in a computer sense meant a game where you had a character with stats and gained levels and stuff. now that every game has stats and levels "RPG" has a different meaning, but it was accurate back in the day

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

look at this noob who isn't using the shrinkray properly

Yeah the shrinker is massively, massively more useful than you would ever assume while the devastator is best used on octobrains and not much else

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Death Stranding looks kind of boring and I'll be looking forward to nerd meltdowns as to why it's the greatest thing ever and how I'm an neanderthal for not wanting to play a 40 hour fumbly delivery man game.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm a little disappointed that they're actually releasing a game and it's not just going to be a neverending series of progressively weirder E3 trailers

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ChazTurbo posted:

Death Stranding looks kind of boring and I'll be looking forward to nerd meltdowns as to why it's the greatest thing ever and how I'm an neanderthal for not wanting to play a 40 hour fumbly delivery man game.

It's going to be one of those games where people who hyped it up for ages will force themselves to like to it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Maybe some people will genuinely find it exciting. I mean a lot of people find Dark Souls not boring which proves there's no accounting for taste :shrug:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The Death Stranding I'm hyped for is basically Deadly Premonition. Hoping for a solid 4/10 experience I'll never forget

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It sounds like it will appeal to people who really liked Journey, or the people who spent time exploring/wandering around in Shadow of the Colossus. Huge, pretty, empty areas to walk through but not much else.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I wanna see Norman Reedus's CG dick please, thanks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You're not realising the true appeal of Death Stranding: that gamers love nothing more than pain.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

gamers: "i hate fetch quests"

*kojima makes fetch quest: the game*

gamers: "fetch quests are a powerful metaphor for society and great gameplay"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

ChazTurbo posted:

I will play Death Stranding because I love that Hideo Kojima is a crazy person with money that makes nerds mad, and I enjoy his nonsensical poo poo. He really peaked with MGS2 tho.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

I will play Death Stranding because I love that Hideo Kojima is a crazy person with money that makes nerds mad, and I enjoy his nonsensical poo poo. He really peaked with MGS2 tho.

Metal Gear Solid 2 with cardboard tanks and fultoning would be the perfect computer video game.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

MrQwerty posted:

You mean 3

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

rumor is the ending cutscene for death stranding is over 2 hours long. no warning, no save before this just bam, 2 loving hour cutscene lmao

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

ChazTurbo posted:

I don't know... if its interesting and good enough I'll absolutely play a 40 hour game as a fumbly delivery man. Why the gently caress not in any case

Anyways, I've been playing a lot of sim racing recently. I even bought myself an 800 dollar wheel/wheelbase/pedals/frame setup because using the controller just doesn't work in a lot of situations. Sim racing is awesome, just me against myself. How many corners can I hit perfectly, and how much time can I trim off through more aggressive lines. It's really fantastic single player stuff and one of the attractions is that it's absolutely impossible to be perfect. All you can do is keep improving in tiny tiny increments, which is the type of game that I really enjoy. You don't improve just for being there, you actually need to polish all your skills.

I don't think I'm a huge fan of the Outer Worlds so far, but I'm excited as hell for RDR2 to come out on PC in a couple days.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

rumor is the ending cutscene for death stranding is over 2 hours long. no warning, no save before this just bam, 2 loving hour cutscene lmao

It's a Hideo Kojima game, what did you expect

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

so he's cut back significantly, is what i'm taking away here

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I don't think MGS4 had a 2 hour cutscene did it? I know it had a lot of long ones and it's why I never finished it.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

I don't think MGS4 had a 2 hour cutscene did it? I know it had a lot of long ones and it's why I never finished it.

Yeah, I think the longest was just under an hour?

2 hours is a full movie. That's insane.

EDIT: Apparently it holds the Guinness Record for longest cutscene at 71 minutes.

pooch516 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 1, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

gamers: "i hate fetch quests"

*kojima makes fetch quest: the game*

gamers: "fetch quests are a powerful metaphor for society and great gameplay"

Point, though thing is in other games fetch quests aren't actually interacting with the core mechanic but just moving back and forth with little challenge or variety, having getting from A to B and back being the central mechanic of a game with a lot of complications and mechanics in between them is another story. Like saying a racing game is just a fetch quest.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Point, though thing is in other games fetch quests aren't actually interacting with the core mechanic but just moving back and forth with little challenge or variety, having getting from A to B and back being the central mechanic of a game with a lot of complications and mechanics in between them is another story. Like saying a racing game is just a fetch quest.

Sure, except all the reviews say getting from A to B and back is a central mechanic, but without the complications or extra mechanics in between them. You can do multiple trips in a row to different locations and never have to do anything more involved than "sneak around this area."

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

you have to use the triggers to balance while you walk or you might fall down and spill all your packages.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

you have to use the triggers to balance while you walk or you might fall down and spill all your packages.

GOTY

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

pooch516 posted:

Yeah, I think the longest was just under an hour?

2 hours is a full movie. That's insane.

EDIT: Apparently it holds the Guinness Record for longest cutscene at 71 minutes.

How the hell isn’t that record held by Xenosaga?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Sure, except all the reviews say

People still read/listen to game reviews?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Also, this cutscene begins just after the tutorial

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

PinheadSlim posted:

People still read/listen to game reviews?

Yes?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Is the ending of MGSV where you ride on a jeep and Mr. Skull monologues nonsense at you for twenty minutes considered a cutscene or gameplay? I can still move the camera around and make my own cinematic angles

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hobo Clown posted:

Is the ending of MGSV where you ride on a jeep and Mr. Skull monologues nonsense at you for twenty minutes considered a cutscene or gameplay? I can still move the camera around and make my own cinematic angles

it's an interactive cutscene :eng101:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Hobo Clown posted:

Considering the hour long intro, I'm going to say yeah that's right

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hobo Clown posted:

It is a cutscene. Much of the game was cut, resulting in that scene.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Manual Samuel was pretty fun I’ll admit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

It is a cutscene. Much of the game was cut, resulting in that scene.

:eyepop: