Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Endless Mike posted:

As I recall, the directive from Marvel for series leading up to Hickman's start was basically "go ham" so yeah you can certainly blame them.

Matt Rosenberg went ham on the New Mutants, that's for sure. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

JordanKai posted:

Matt Rosenberg went ham on the New Mutants, that's for sure. :rip:

I don't think you can bust out the :rip: for characters who were dead less than five months

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Are the last lines in today's Immortal Hulk a quote or variation on a famous song? They sound so familiar but I'm not turning anything up via googling them.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Amazing Mary Jane is great! Williams really nails MJ's character.
I'm slightly worried that the real director is going to wind up like the one from Tropic Thunder and meet his end on one of the landmines left over from the war (incidentally, they're what allowed the penguin population to thrive and recover after the introduction of sheep to the the island - the sheep set off the mines, but the penguins are light enough to tread on them safely.
Also Full Circle was really fun, and ASM continues to be good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Agents of Atlas is also fun. I'm really sold on Luna Snow and the like.

brosef
Jan 19, 2009

Archyduchess posted:

Are the last lines in today's Immortal Hulk a quote or variation on a famous song? They sound so familiar but I'm not turning anything up via googling them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZI7B2HSIe8&t=30s

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I haven’t read the issue yet, but just imagining what the IH context might be fills me with :stonk:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

IH as a whole has been one of the most incredible runs I’ve had the joy of reading.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I haven’t read the issue yet, but just imagining what the IH context might be fills me with :stonk:

It's actually somehow the least terrifying context in the issue

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Oh, noooo. Well now I'm on an emotional rollercoaster.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Read the trade of SPIDER-MAN: LIFE STORY today.

Goddamn, that's a great book. There were some moments where I questioned what Zdarsky was doing, but they always paid off, and it's clear that he's such a fan of so many eras of the character. I look forward to revisiting it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

IH as a whole has been one of the most incredible runs I’ve had the joy of reading.

Yeah I remember rolling my eyes at the sound of Immortal Hulk when it was announced. "Immortal?" I thought, "that sounds stupid." I've never been so happy to be so wrong because I've yet to be disappointed.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

The Amazing Mary Jane is great! Williams really nails MJ's character.

Hugely surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It's a really fun setup.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Amazing Mary Jane was great. Her and Peter are just so cute together, and it really used Hollywood well as a set up for villainous shenanigans while bringing some good comedy.

Really enjoyed Strikeforce #2. Obviously, Sera being abandoned prior to this was really poor, but I really enjoyed Angela and Satana, along with delightful trash boi Wiccan's whining and Jessica Drew being STOKED for Vegas. With the Vridai as an interesting threat and Monica showing off her powers in cool ways, this is really rolling along, with snappy dialogue and a real verve.

Mr. Horse continues to be a highlight of Jane Foster: Valkyrie, but it is delivering drat good superheroics that builds on continuity (Lisa Halloran! The Disir!), in classic Ewing [co-writing] style.

Immortal Hulk was just... dang.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They're for kids and I'm always biased, but the IDW Captain Marvel book is pretty fun. It has kitties wearing uniforms.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Heads up that Fantastic Four: Grand Design is coming out tomorrow. For some reason I thought we’d be waiting until next year.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm just going to say I didn't like the second series of X-Men Grand Designs, because so much loving poo poo happens in that time span it can't be easily condensed. Like, fitting the Claremont era by itself in a six issue mini would be a fool's project.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think F4 is quite as crazy as X-Men and it's a different writer, anyway

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
It's a shorter mini-series too, which means it'll inevitably be less about summarizing old plot lines and more about another way to link together the core concepts, instead of covering every single story beat.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dawgstar posted:

Agents of Atlas is also fun. I'm really sold on Luna Snow and the like.

Yeah I've really like it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I kept waiting for the twist in Superior Spider-Man this week, but it never came. Man, I know this is superhero comics and status quo is king but I'm struggling to remember the last time I was this disappointed in that whole status quo thing.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

What did Fat Ock even do that Hot Ock could not?

Ending was hot garbage, I feel like the only explanation is the that the staff was told mid-issue in volume 11 that 12 was the finale, and to also bring OG Ock back kthnx bye.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

marvel zombies again? eh.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bananaquiter posted:

What did Fat Ock even do that Hot Ock could not?

Ending was hot garbage, I feel like the only explanation is the that the staff was told mid-issue in volume 11 that 12 was the finale, and to also bring OG Ock back kthnx bye.

I thought that it was always meant to be a 12 issue run? I know FNSM was but that it got a few more issues.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah the end of Superior Spidey was really loving bad an disappointing. They could have done so much more with a “good” but rear end in a top hat Doc in a young body.

God drat it this makes me mad. At least Doom’s back to norm is being handled better and his book so far is great.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
So I posted awhile back about reading current comics and which titles to get into, but I ended up subbing to Marvel Unlimited instead. I've been binging major events and tie-ins starting with Civil War and have just finished Dark Reign and Siege. I just started on "Heroic Age" Avengers and while I get that it's supposed to be a return to conventional comic book style stories, it's hard to swallow everything being "reset," especially how Tony Stark is perceived by everyone else. He sends half the superheroes into underground fugitive status, cloned Thor, killed Goliath, let Skrulls invade the world (and therefore was indirectly responsible for Wasp's death), launched Hulk into exile only for him to come back and almost destroy New York, and set it up so Norman Osborn became top cop...

Thor is still pissed at Tony at the end of Siege, but that doesn't seem to last very long. Avengers Prime (2010) has them and Cap all bickering while involved in a fairly generic story, and by the end of it Tony and Cap bond and are friends again:

In a way I feel like I have to ship them for their reconciliation to make sense.

I think Bendis did really awesome work with the major events, but wrote himself into a corner, and I guess "The Heroic Age" is just an attempt to put everything back to "normal." I'm now on the Avengers (2010) run so hopefully they'll address some of this stuff more.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Heroic Age Avengers kind of sucked. New Avengers was pretty good. Bendis was out of steam for Avengers at this point.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Heroic Age Avengers blooowwws

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The Thor stuff by JM Straczynski had a pretty good Thor/Tony bit where it's clear Thor is still pissed about the clone.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

The Thor stuff by JM Straczynski had a pretty good Thor/Tony bit where it's clear Thor is still pissed about the clone.

That's one way of putting it, he completely fried Tony's armour and told him to walk home.

I've not been following Superior Spider-Man, but I'm sorry to hear it didn't end well. I heard they threw in another quick cheap shot at Peter at the end, too. Honestly, I'm not exactly looking forward to the last issue of Spider-Verse now I know Gage is writing it. Which really sucks, because I remember loving his Avengers Academy.

I mean, Spider-Geddon was better than the original Spider-Verse, but honestly the good stuff was in the tie-ins (again), and it seems like looking back it existed solely to get the pieces in play for this run of Superior.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Is Black Cat still selling well?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Not doing anywhere near the numbers of the first couple issues, but I'm lead to believe it's doing okay. I wish it was getting out there a little more, but I'm not worried about it getting cancelled for a little while yet at least!

Also, for Yvonmukluk- I'm actually writing the last issue of Spider-Verse (and the third one too).

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 1, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Not doing anywhere near the numbers of the first couple issues, but I'm lead to believe it's doing okay. I wish it was getting out there a little more, but I'm not worried about it getting cancelled for a little while yet at least!

Also, for Yvonmukluk- I'm actually writing the last issue of Spider-Verse (and the third one too).

That's good to hear (both the 'Black Cat is selling well' and 'Vulpes is going to be the one to wrap up Spider-Verse' news).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, Spider-Geddon [...] seems like looking back it existed solely to get the pieces in play for this run of Superior.

Well, that and the fact that Into The Spider-Verse was coming out around the same time, Marvel never misses a chance for brand cohesion.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I don’t think anyone expected Black Cat to come in as hot as it did. That poo poo was amazing. I’m sure that alone will up your profile when it’s time to offer you something if Black Cat gets the 12 issue axe.

If they try to end the book after twelve, tell them you need a bad luck issue thirteen. It’d be perfect for the character. Glad to see your star keep rising. How about a convention in Michigan?

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot
stop with al the talk about cancelling Black Cat, guys.

I can't live in a world without my regular Dr. Korpse fix.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
No Bruno or Boris in next week's issue, but there is...

(The boys get their own side-stories in the Annual out the week after, though!)

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

My LCS is under new management and they took down the front door's "Marvel Sold Here" poster with Wolverine on it that had probably been there since the mid 90s and now there is one with Black Cat on it. I was pleased as punch to see that!

Also re: Avengers talk, is the current series any good? I lost interest like... 8 or 9 issues ago but I'm not averse to catching up if it's worth it. Same with Doctor Strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

No Bruno or Boris in next week's issue, but there is...

(The boys get their own side-stories in the Annual out the week after, though!)

I am having trouble phrasing this. Is a boxer's face considered something good? Batroc's face is certainly prettier than say Stallones.