Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Sex Skeleton posted:

Got another hard hat story for you guys. As a software engineer for a parking equipment company I occasionally need to support the equipment by driving out to a garage and don't some troubleshooting. Some of this involves working with the automatic gates. Today I was getting ready to troubleshoot a gate operator when the "safety" loop triggers and the arm drops, whizzing by my head just as I get out of the way.

I'm not gonna forget my hard hat again.

We switched from bump caps to hard hats about a year before I started here, apparently to much grumbling. The week after the switch a 6 inch steel cap came off some piping overhead and beaned someone in the head, splitting their hard hat, but leaving the brain remarkably uninjured. Suddenly people stopped complaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Sex Skeleton posted:

Got another hard hat story for you guys. As a software engineer for a parking equipment company I occasionally need to support the equipment by driving out to a garage and don't some troubleshooting. Some of this involves working with the automatic gates. Today I was getting ready to troubleshoot a gate operator when the "safety" loop triggers and the arm drops, whizzing by my head just as I get out of the way.

I'm not gonna forget my hard hat again.
Reminds me of an automation incident at a car factory I read about somewhere. They had a robot loading steel sheets into a press at high speed. This was obviously a pretty dangerous, so they put a fence, with a gate, around the robot, and wired a safety system to stop the robot instantly if the gate was opened.

So, as you would expect, someone went and opened the gate while the robot was in operation. It stopped instantly, but the steel sheet didn't. It ripped out of the robot's grip and flew through the fence into the next station. Oops.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

That just jogged a memory of my job in undergrad, I worked on a particle accelerator which involves very high voltages. There was a lockout cage around the dangerous end where I think there was a 40,000V potential but it wasn’t attached to the wall so you could squeeze in from the back and as I recall some part of daily operation required going back there after closing the cage but prior to energizing the accelerator. Great safety practice lol

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I got a tour of the GSI accelerator shortly after they had the first particle accelerator death.
Some researcher touched an exposed power line, got thrown of his scaffold and broke his skull.

Now the OSHA part:
The entrances to the accelerator has some warning lights in green, yellow, red. Meaning "OK to go in", "you need rad-suits" and "too rad to enter".

But when I was there, there was an additional fourth level (green+yellow) announced on obviously recent and handmade stickers. It warned of exposed power lines.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
This gender reveal poo poo is getting ridiculous

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm not really sure why it needs to be a secret that your baby is a bag of noxious fumes.

It's kind of a given.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

It's a trump!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Or a Minion

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

So here in Edmonton we've had some cold and wet fall weather, but one day the winds reached about 100 km/hr. We had ample warning for those of us who kept an eye on the government's weather forecasting network, but I guess not everyone got the memo. https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/20...BMUDekz6ihgrHZw

https://twitter.com/tysoliver/statu...6widget%3DTweet

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

That’s every pump/chlorinator room for a large swimming pool

Edit: I think they’re like that in part because of how you need to be able to back flow them for cleaning and maintenance. But I’ve yet to see one that didn’t at least look needlessly complex.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 31, 2019

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lars Blitzer posted:

So here in Edmonton we've had some cold and wet fall weather, but one day the winds reached about 100 km/hr. We had ample warning for those of us who kept an eye on the government's weather forecasting network, but I guess not everyone got the memo. https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/20...BMUDekz6ihgrHZw

https://twitter.com/tysoliver/statu...6widget%3DTweet

Well poo poo, why did the video stop at the good part.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Oh it's the Windows NT screensaver.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:honk:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That’s every pump/chlorinator room for a large swimming pool

Edit: I think they’re like that in part because of how you need to be able to back flow them for cleaning and maintenance. But I’ve yet to see one that didn’t at least look needlessly complex.

I worked on pools for about 6 months, most of them weren't nearly that complicated. The ones I worked on had the pump isolated from everything else, and the filter was where the magic happened re: changing the direction of water flow. Even then, there was the main pipe (in use during normal operation) and the drain pipe (only really used for backwashing/draining). That one reminds me of the horror story pics from a WWI sub, pipes, wheels, and knobs everywhere and nobody knows what any of them do :gonk:

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

What the gently caress. You can't post this without an ending! Especially after this long.

WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!

gently caress that tweet is from the 25th. THERE MUST BE ANSWERS!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
firefighters got him

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Lazyhound posted:

firefighters got him

Yeah, I found this. It sounds like he was rescued okay. This article had a bit more detail but the videos didn't work for me.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

pseudorandom posted:

Yeah, I found this. It sounds like he was rescued okay. This article had a bit more detail but the videos didn't work for me.

Some further info for those who didn't read the article I linked: The window washing company is in BIG trouble. They were subcontracted out to wash the windows by the property owner, but had failed to heed the forecast when it said high winds. Adding to that was the fact that the company's name doesn't show on any business registry in the province of Alberta apparently, so they've got to answer for that, too.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Lars Blitzer posted:

Adding to that was the fact that the company's name doesn't show on any business registry in the province of Alberta apparently, so they've got to answer for that, too.

I don't know anything (about Canada, et al; or otherwise), but it sounds like this company didn't have rights to do business things in this city:

quote:

The City of Edmonton has no record of Aurum holding a business licence to operate in Edmonton.

The city would be responsible for enforcing penalties against any company working without a licence. Fines could run about $500.

:getin: and, yet :frogout:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

$500, how will they come up with such a large amount of money?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

OxygenNotIncluded / Factorio spilling into real life again.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Joke or not, the Air Force loving loves PowerPoint presentations.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPt4ijPFzc8

11'8'' bridge becoming the 12'4'' bridge with hydraulic jacks, and why they could bring it up to that height but no further.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
They should just leave the crash beam at 11'8"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

NoWake posted:

They should put in place a joke beam that is light and swings out of the way at 11'8", but label it 12'4".

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Imagined posted:

I've seen a dude riding one of those choppers where the handlebars are above your head in loving shorts, flip-flops, and with just a bandana on his head.

And he was lanesplitting at 50 mph above ambient traffic.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Paul Newman's going to have somebody's legs broke.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 1, 2019

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Uthor posted:

They should put in place a joke beam that is light and swings out of the way at 11'8", but label it 12'4".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThhkMvPPgxg

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

military doesn't fall under OSHA's purview, so that technically not outside of OSHA compliance

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Pickled Tink posted:

11'8'' bridge becoming the 12'4'' bridge with hydraulic jacks, and why they could bring it up to that height but no further.

i'm assuming it's perfectly safe, but i wouldn't have thought that's how you prop up a bridge

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Probably unrelated:
https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/national-security/article236413328.html
Exclusive: Veterans want answers as new data shows rise in cancers over two decades of war

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

now we're cooking with gas turbine

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rinkles posted:

i'm assuming it's perfectly safe, but i wouldn't have thought that's how you prop up a bridge

The hard part of being a bridge is when a train is hitting you at full speed

Being a bridge is easy when you're just a bunch of girders being jacked up so that the abutments can be adjusted

I'm like 80% sure they don't try to run trains over the bridge while it's on jacks. Maybe 75%.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pickled Tink posted:

I'm half surprised some truck didn't ignore all the road closed signs and try and drive through the worksite.

NoWake posted:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

I'm interested in knowing the cook time for estimating the fuel cost to cook those strips.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

DiHK posted:

I'm interested in knowing the cook time for estimating the fuel cost to cook those strips.
Exhaust grille temperature after prolonged driving in a warm environment can be above 700F. So I'd bet that cook time is not very long at all.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I'm surprised somebody actually made the Hulk Hogan meat tank.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Exhaust grille temperature after prolonged driving in a warm environment can be above 700F. So I'd bet that cook time is not very long at all.

Cooking a steak under a salamander at about that is 1 min per side for medium rare.

You can ghetto your own by using a charcoal starter chimney and putting the blazing coals over a steak for a minute. (Alton brown tip of course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

But can you cook steak with depleted uranium?