Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Ibblebibble posted:

Anime? In my Japanese RPG?

Outfits aside, Final Fantasy games don't usually resemble anime all that much. X-2 has this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DSXC2Sa8uM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
FFX-2 is easily top 5 FF games ever made and if you don't vibe with it that's cool.

But also it's not cool man, what the gently caress.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The odd thing about X-2 and "ew. girl stuff" is that it's obviously for guys from the viewpoint of girls. Or was the Leblanc massage and all the skimpy outfits to lure in the lesbian fanbase?

What was that meme about games being thirsty or horny or whatever? X-2 is the horniest FF by far. XV might feature a cast of hunky men but it's less shameless because fanservice for men and women is different. Well, sometimes anyway. XV gives you that emotional fanse rvice which a lot of girls prefer while guys just want rear end and titties which is what X-2 went for.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 1, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

rodbeard posted:

Outfits aside, Final Fantasy games don't usually resemble anime all that much.

In what world are FF not anime as hell? Like 99% of them feature one of multiple of the chosen super special bishonen protagonist that has to fight the nihilistic big bad that wants to end all of existence and you can only defeat him through the power of friendship and swords even in the universes where technology has advanced far enough that random antagonistic mooks are carrying space-time matter displacement photon cannons that do less damage than the aforementioned swords.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
are you new, anime is "thing I don't like"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

NikkolasKing posted:

The odd thing about X-2 and "ew. girl stuff" is that it's obviously for guys from the viewpoint of girls. Or was the Leblanc massage and all the skimpy outfits to lure in the lesbian fanbase?

What was that meme about games being thirsty or horny or whatever? X-2 is the horniest FF by far. XV might feature a cast of hunky men but it's less shameless because fanservice for men and women is different. Well, sometimes anyway. XV gives you that emotional fanse rvice which a lot of girls prefer while guys just want rear end and titties which is what X-2 went for.
X-2 is camp. Like it's in the same general direction as Bayonetta.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

my favorite part of X-2 is losing completion % if you sped up even a single line of dialogue instead of letting the voice actor finish reading it

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Or maybe it was the millions of terrible, half-baked minigames, like having to do a sales pitch to every person in the world about some dumb amusement park or something, where you had to Strategy Guide the "correct" pitch to use on each person.
Just because you can look up info on the internet doesn't always mean that's the most fun way to play. Looking up the best answers for each person to max out your points by Chapter 2, is like looking up a strategy guide to find the best early game experience grinding spot, then like, faulting the game for it??

cock hero flux posted:

They were cool but Unerring Path really did make it too easy to get them. And I distinctly remember AP grinding taking ages for some jobs, like Alchemist.

Being easy to get and access gameplay options is a good thing though.

You can get 90+ AP in a repeatable, sub-5 second battle later in the game. No dressphere takes ages to grind.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Augus posted:

my favorite part of X-2 is losing completion % if you sped up even a single line of dialogue instead of letting the voice actor finish reading it

You're not speeding it up, you're literally cutting him off as he's talking. Why would you get completion percentage for something you skip??

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

gigglefeimer posted:

Just because you can look up info on the internet doesn't always mean that's the most fun way to play. Looking up the best answers for each person to max out your points by Chapter 2, is like looking up a strategy guide to find the best early game experience grinding spot, then like, faulting the game for it??

Being easy to get and access gameplay options is a good thing though.

You can get 90+ AP in a repeatable, sub-5 second battle later in the game. No dressphere takes ages to grind.

I'm confused. Are you advocating for or against using guides to find the best, most efficient grinding spots as a way to enjoy the game?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Augus posted:

I feel like the intention with the whole completion % thing is that you simply weren't expected to get it all in one playthrough. Actually doing it in one go requires following a guide extremely carefully and even missing one random NPC will lock you out of it, but doing it in two is pretty easy since doing both the Youth League and New Yevon routes add up to higher than 100% which gives you more room to just miss stuff entirely.

But yeah the way it's awarded out is very annoying. It's like they heard the complaints about unskippable cutscenes in FFX and responded "fine, you can skip the cutscenes, but you will be punished"

gigglefeimer posted:

The thing is that if you don't look it up it's very easy to end up WELL short of the required score to complete the mission in chapter 5, meaning you have to grind out the rest of it by spending a bunch of cash running the Calm Lands games over and over again (you don't really have to spend much actual gil there since you can make a profit pretty easily on the dog races, but it's still a huge time investment). Like it's not just that doing it without a guide is "suboptimal". It's "you will end up at like 90/400 by the end"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

lezard_valeth posted:

In what world are FF not anime as hell? Like 99% of them feature one of multiple of the chosen super special bishonen protagonist that has to fight the nihilistic big bad that wants to end all of existence and you can only defeat him through the power of friendship and swords even in the universes where technology has advanced far enough that random antagonistic mooks are carrying space-time matter displacement photon cannons that do less damage than the aforementioned swords.

FFV has the hero dual against a ninja werewolf who creates illusionary clones. He wins by remembering a technique his master swordsman father taught him, proving the party's worthiness.

Verdict: anime.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gologle posted:

Everybody shut up and listen...to THIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GidkSDUMI8E

This deserves more attention. Weight of the World will never not give me goosebumps. My brother marks out when the FF14 team blends the Crystal Arpeggio into the music, so we both enjoyed it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
For me it's Growing Wings/Exhausted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zya6FwL8L8

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

lezard_valeth posted:

Here's hoping they port XV to the Switch so I can play it.

XII was the last FF game I played like 12 years ago and I became disenamored with the franchise, but I grabbed Zodiac Age from the steam store last year and I was amazed at how much of the subtle story telling flew over my head as a kid, and is now contender for my favorite FF. The scene with the Occuria is pure poetry and it's a shame that the last part of the game was rushed due to all the developing problems it had.

I have good news. FFXV is on Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lDoLe6OwIg
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/final-fantasy-xv-pocket-edition-hd-switch/

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 1, 2019

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Clarste posted:

I'm confused. Are you advocating for or against using guides to find the best, most efficient grinding spots as a way to enjoy the game?
I'm advocating doing whatever makes you enjoy the game most. A lot of people torture themselves though, doing things in the game that they don't actually enjoy, or thinking that the game can only be played this extremely specific way, usually out of ignorance because their main exposure is from what other people on the internet have said, instead of their own experience with the game. Anyway, it doesn't take a guide to figure out that you can combine equipment that boosts AP, then fight an enemy that rewards a lot of AP, to rack up AP extremely quickly.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The thing is that if you don't look it up it's very easy to end up WELL short of the required score to complete the mission in chapter 5, meaning you have to grind out the rest of it by spending a bunch of cash running the Calm Lands games over and over again (you don't really have to spend much actual gil there since you can make a profit pretty easily on the dog races, but it's still a huge time investment). Like it's not just that doing it without a guide is "suboptimal". It's "you will end up at like 90/400 by the end"
No way, you'll reach 400 by Chapter 5 just by playing normally: picking whatever option to the NPCs you meet along the way, along with trying out the Calm Land games. You're talking about some strict powergaming playthrough as if it's the only way.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Is it the same story? I saw it a while ago on the store but I thought it was a sidestory or something

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Tae posted:

What is "general consensus," FF X-2 is barely talked about outside of this forum

Is there currently much of a community anywhere on the internet for any of the older FFs? X-2 got some resurgence thanks to the remaster, at least. I'm mostly speaking from what I've seen over the years on gamefaqs, youtube, and various other forums/social media.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

lezard_valeth posted:

Is it the same story? I saw it a while ago on the store but I thought it was a sidestory or something

It's FFXV remade with chibi graphics. They cut out a lot of the side quests and shifted from an open world to a more linear experience.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres also a couple of unused in XV bits of dialog but the story is the same. Im told its more coherent even.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Barudak posted:

Theres also a couple of unused in XV bits of dialog but the story is the same. Im told its more coherent even.
Is there cup noodle?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gologle posted:

Everybody shut up and listen...to THIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GidkSDUMI8E

Holy loving poo poo.

Everyone, this is the rare Gologle post you all should listen to.

NikkolasKing posted:

X-2 is the horniest FF by far.

XIV

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Any FF with Kimahri can't be the horniest

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Augus posted:

Is your actual favorite not that there's 0.2% locked behind walking with your boy Maeschen down the entire length of like five screens without interrupting him once?

The only way it could be worse is if there was a QTE at the end to stop you from walking away.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like the intention with the whole completion % thing is that you simply weren't expected to get it all in one playthrough. Actually doing it in one go requires following a guide extremely carefully and even missing one random NPC will lock you out of it, but doing it in two is pretty easy since doing both the Youth League and New Yevon routes add up to higher than 100% which gives you more room to just miss stuff entirely.

iirc it's not just that but also seeing alternate/wrong scenes contributes to your score in a miniscule way, as well as siding with different companies in the calm lands(?). starting the events in bikanel is necessary for completion but i think you also get bonus points if you actually engage with it and ultimately kill the boss there

via infinito is also bonus points

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Augus posted:

Yeah this but unironically. The game has over 100% of stuff to do with NG+ and the story split. I dunno how much more the game could play around with loving with people obsessed with getting every map square including the open air in metroid vanias.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I don't think X-2 is far from a good game, just needs some mild edits. Trim a lot of downtime stuff and rebalance some of the combat (especially in re: cast bars or sometimes no cast bars).

Maybe move around some garment grid locations so you don't get ones that are for abilities you don't even have yet.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

via infinito is also bonus points

You were wrong about this before and you're still wrong about this.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

I don't think X-2 is far from a good game, just needs some mild edits. Trim a lot of downtime stuff and rebalance some of the combat (especially in re: cast bars or sometimes no cast bars).

Maybe move around some garment grid locations so you don't get ones that are for abilities you don't even have yet.

And stick in a proper Chocobo Theme instead of the abomination we got.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Saint Freak posted:

make garment grids give you their full passive bonuses without needing to change classes mid fight. busy work imo

gigglefeimer posted:

You were wrong about this before and you're still wrong about this.

via infinito gives completion points for every maester scene you see and you don't need to do it to get 100%

i'm not sure how much more of a definition of "bonus" you want dude

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is your actual favorite not that there's 0.2% locked behind walking with your boy Maeschen down the entire length of like five screens without interrupting him once?

The only way it could be worse is if there was a QTE at the end to stop you from walking away.

It's like you've mixed up memories from two entirely different parts of the game here, and you've combined them into a single false memory.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

via infinito gives completion points for every maester scene you see and you don't need to do it to get 100%

i'm not sure how much more of a definition of "bonus" you want dude
You need via infinito for a 100% in one playthrough. You can easily verify this by checking any guide on the internet, or actually doing it yourself.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
gigglefeimer only ever posts to poo poo up the final fantasy thread and you sort of have to admire that level of brand-building

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

gigglefeimer only ever posts to poo poo up the final fantasy thread and you sort of have to admire that level of brand-building

?? How am I making GBS threads up the thread? Is it that I'm not talking about an FF that you like?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

gigglefeimer posted:

It's like you've mixed up memories from two entirely different parts of the game here, and you've combined them into a single false memory.
I probably did. I just remember the longass conversation, was that not also a long staged walk?

edit: lmao no it was even better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE9fvS_nm3U

I skipped ahead two minutes and the camera had zoomed out slightly

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I probably did. I just remember the longass conversation, was that not also a long staged walk?

edit: lmao no it was even better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE9fvS_nm3U

I skipped ahead two minutes and the camera had zoomed out slightly

The long staged walk is Tobli's mission on the Moonflow to protect his cargo from bandits. You get the Gun Mage dressphere for it.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Shocking news: you don't have to 100% the game.

Hell, you get a worse ending that completely ruins the previous game's ending if you do.

Or you can do the best of both universes like I did, be a completionist nutter and answer "gently caress Tidus" when Bahamut asks you if you want to revive him

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 1, 2019

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
But gently caress Tidus is the game's secret ending! ohohohohohoho

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the best ending of ff10-2 is good, and also canon in ff10's post-credits(??) scene :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The best ending is the novel where Tidus kicks a bomb and blows up.