Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Evleaks is teasing a new Razr phone, looks like a foldable screen

This is extremely my poo poo. My first phone was a Razr and it lasted me a good 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Don Dongington posted:

I think this problem will probably be fairly short lived as bluetooth becomes more common in cars as the older models age out. Also I've been running a little TP Link Microusb bluetooth adaptor in one of our cars that doesn't have BT for a few years now and it's pretty decent. I have a cigarette lighter to 1x USB A and 1x USB C PD port, use the A port to power the bluetooth receiver and the USB C handles my P2XL.

It's not that elegant but it works and it's better than trying to use the bundled USB C dongle, which constantly disconnects now and is basically unusable.

My Pixel 4 didn't even come with an aux dongle (headphones instead).

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

This is extremely my poo poo. My first phone was a Razr and it lasted me a good 5 years.

This one won't.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

And there it is, google buys Fitbit for $2.1 billion.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/01/google-buys-fitbit/

Also, if you were stung on Google's trade in value for the Pixel 3, Samsung is doing another $450 trade in (instant value off) if you buy a Note 10 family device.

I may have ordered a Note 10 Plus and used my P3 as trade because I hate money and figured I would go with the flagship trifecta (OP7P, P4XL, Note 10+).

Honestly, it's sort of a lateral move money wise as I could turn around and sell the NIB Note 10+ and break even from where I would be if I just sold the P3 outright. I'm not going to do that though, I figure it's worthwhile to see how Samsung has come along all these years and I know the Note 10+ would be worth a lot for trade later if I want to dabble in another device next year. If nothing else, it will make a pretty decent small form factor tablet for around the house.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 1, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

bull3964 posted:

And there it is, google buys Fitbit for $2.1 billion.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/01/google-buys-fitbit/
Lol:

quote:

Rick Osterloh, Google's head of devices and services, says that the deal is an "opportunity to invest even more in Wear OS as well as introduce Made by Google wearable devices into the market."
That makes it sound like they're going to end up killing Fitbit's exiting lineup and turn them into generic smart watches. I guess if they could keep the good parts of fitbits (cheap, good battery life) while making them use Wear OS there might actually be a market for it, but I have zero confidence in Google's ability to do this successfully.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 1, 2019

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Probably will work out as well as the Google - HTC purchase.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...eedName=topNews

Reuter's throwing around some unintentional shade with that article title.

"Google enters wearables market with $2.1 billion Fitbit deal"

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Just rerelease the Pebble with a touchscreen, cowardly Google.

THAT WHICH IS DEAD CAN NEVER DIE

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Spigen Ultra Hybrid case for my P4 XL arrived a few minutes ago and I have to say I actually like it. I still hate adding bulk to phones, but it's about the least offensive in the "decent protection" class. I got the version with the black frame rather than the clear one since I felt that would replicate the look of the phone a bit better since they all have black rails anyways. They even include a coral power button you can swap in for the white one. I expect that the clear PC back will probably scratch pretty easily, but they do have a few small nubs on the back of the case that raise it off whatever surface you put it on so hopefully that helps.

I don't know that I'll keep it in the case because I really like using it without a case, but this seems like a good option for showcasing the look of the phone and adding some protection.

I also have the bluish fabric case arriving later today. That's a completely different class of case since it changes over the look of the phone by covering all the orange.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I get my P4 XL later today and looking at the value of the P2 XL, drat, it's worthless.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i started an rcs conversation in messages last night for the first time (used the hack-y method going around) and, surprise, it feels a lot like imessage (yes i know about the encryption issues). it's nice!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The only way android watches will be tolerable is if they ditch Qualcomm and make their own processor.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ratbert90 posted:

The only way android watches will be tolerable is if they ditch Qualcomm and make their own processor.

Pretty much. Honestly though, that refrain is getting pretty strong across the phones too. The performance and efficiency disparity between qualcomm's top offerings and Apple's grows with every iteration and it is so laughably lopsided right now. Android phones are getting very close to being delegated to the midrage even with the flagships. The only saving grace right now is marketshare is ensuring that app makers don't outstrip the capabilities of qualcomm based devices the same way that consoles always constrain PC gaming.

We need another SoC manufacturer and Mediatek isn't going to cut it and Huawei is out for obvious reasons. If google wants to do something truly revolutionary with the pixel, they need to go all in and design the silicon too.

sleepwalkers posted:

i started an rcs conversation in messages last night for the first time (used the hack-y method going around) and, surprise, it feels a lot like imessage (yes i know about the encryption issues). it's nice!

Just remember that there's no viable way to backup RCS messages (at least multimedia ones). No program supports it and Google doesn't back them up either natively.

RCS messages, for all intents and purposes, die on the device you have in your hand right now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Weren't they supposedly working on their own ARM silicon, anyway? Or was that one of these projects were the team cycles every two years, so that it never makes usable progress and eventually gets ditched?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I highly recommend you embrace the ephemerality of messages and delete all your messages with each new phone. Don't backup poo poo! Its just liability! If you need to document something for later, you know, take notes.

Its liberating. Like throwing away that box you've already moved two times. You don't need messages from your X from 8 years ago.

Managed to get WiFi calling working on AT&T on my 4XL again. They've clearly not brought over non-AT&T sold phone IMEIs into their database yet. After 5 people I finally found one willing to just put in a dummy IMEI to get it provisioned out and rid of me. If you already had WiFi calling on your line then moving the SIM card over will "just work", but if not you've gotta get creative. I'm sure they'll solve this in like a month.

I'm apprehensive about the FitBit purchase. On one hand, I'd love to have a quality Android wear watch option. On the other hand, I like that my Fitbit only does activity tracking. I don't want my messages on my wrist usually.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FunOne posted:

I'm apprehensive about the FitBit purchase. On one hand, I'd love to have a quality Android wear watch option. On the other hand, I like that my Fitbit only does activity tracking. I don't want my messages on my wrist usually.

I don't really want a screen on my Fitbit most of the time. I only occasionally check my HR while cycling, almost never for anything else.

Though having it vibrate during calls is nice cause I've started missing my phone ringing a lot of the time (turning it down at work and leaving it low at home).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, there's nothing in my messages that could be considered a 'liability.'

As someone who's becoming acutely aware that the parents are starting to get into a more statistically uncertain age, it give me a certain amount of comfort that in 10-15 years time when it's very likely I won't be able to talk to them anymore, I'll be able to thumb through some mundane everyday conversations.

All that's besides the point though, they shouldn't be loving up even worse than SMS and MMS when it comes to a next generation messaging system, but here we are. It shouldn't be so difficult to wrangle my own data. Why every message program doesn't have a simple "export" button I'll never know. Just dump it to HTML/XML/JSON/whatever.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Just remember that there's no viable way to backup RCS messages (at least multimedia ones). No program supports it and Google doesn't back them up either natively.

RCS messages, for all intents and purposes, die on the device you have in your hand right now.

:shrug: if it's important information i need to keep across devices, i'm gonna put it elsewhere. it's also a single conversation with a single person, because lol barely anyone can do rcs.

also i mostly use imessage, which is backed up so whatever.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I had a close friend pass away at 35 years of age and you can bet I wish had more records of our dumbass conversations about which Pokemon was the cutest or just more photographs in general.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You cant access RCS with a browser like Google Voice? Thats lame.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Of course you can, who said you can't? I'm literally texting my friend via RCS from messages.google.com right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

whatever7 posted:

I mean, you can if you link your messages client to the web client, but there's no persistent storage there. As soon as it's gone from your device (or you switch to a new one), it's gone from there and there's no way to export.

There's no central repository for RCS messages right now, it's very much peer to peer just like SMS/MMS. Just like I keep saying again and again, RCS as it exists with Android right now is a protocol and nothing more. It is not a chat ecosystem, there's nothing there that makes it a chat ecosystem. From an end user perspective, it's just SMS/MMS with read receipts and less restrictive multimedia limits that's stored in a completely different way inside their device that has no open API access right now. It's not even a matter of stuff like "SMS Backup and Restore" needing to add support, they can't add support because there aren't any hooks that allow them to add support. It's a complete black box and the only reason why carriers are looking to implement it is so that they can monetize it by selling access to you via chat. They are salivating at the idea of getting a cut of that Starbucks order you placed via RCS.

THIS is what RCS means.

https://jibe.google.com/business-messaging/

Not higher resolution cat photos.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am sticking with Google Voice.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FunOne posted:

On one hand, I'd love to have a quality Android wear watch option.

Well fitbit doesn't make a quality watch, so I wouldn't expect Google+Fitbit to suddenly produce one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thermopyle posted:

Well fitbit doesn't make a quality watch, so I wouldn't expect Google+Fitbit to suddenly produce one.

Maybe they can erase three years and get that Pebble goodness going again. Probably not, considering the Android 10 bluetooth issues killing pebble batteries, but I remain somewhat hopeful.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pebble won't save them either.

If google can't get their poo poo together for proper health tracking, they are toast in this arena. Health tracking means good sensors and long battery life so that it's not a chore to wear the device.

I charge my Watch Active 2 every two days or so (or just top it off every day while I'm showering) and it has continuous hear rate monitoring. My Fossil Sport barely lasts 18 hours on a charge and that only samples my heart rate every few minutes. That not loving good enough. Not by miles.

Continuous heart rate. Continuous EKG. Eventually we'll have continuous glucose monitoring and blood pressure monitoring. Fall detection. Sleep analysis.

In 5-10 years time you can bet your rear end you won't get a good insurance rates if you aren't tracking your health metrics with a wearable and people aren't going to wear multiple devices. So, if a device is lacking in this area, it's just not going to get bought.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The Apple Watch is so far ahead of any android based watch it’s not even worth comparing them. Fitbit isn’t going to save them either.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I like smart watches for being a watch that lets me see phone notifications without taking it out of my pocket. I don't want any health monitoring, so I disagree but I understand I'm in the minority. I can always roll my own if I get desperate enough.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Like was already said...90% of Google's wearable problems have to do with Qualcomm. Google has the resources, so I really hope they're working on an end run around the fuckin 3100.

I even think a lot of the problems people have with the way Wear OS works stem from the root issue of Google designing around the limitations of the 3100.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm extremely happy with the Mi Band 4. It's $35, it does the basics well, the battery lasts for weeks, and it looks nice. Less $200+ options and more cheap ones imo.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I love my Fitbit. Can't wait for them to add a Fitbit messaging app

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rexxed posted:

I like smart watches for being a watch that lets me see phone notifications without taking it out of my pocket. I don't want any health monitoring, so I disagree but I understand I'm in the minority. I can always roll my own if I get desperate enough.

I get that it's what you want (or don't want) but there's no healthy market for that outside of no-name Chinese brand one-of devices.

The long term viability of the wearable market is with health monitoring. That's basically the only way to get them as ubiquitous as smartphones themselves and it's actually has a chance to improve the health and quality of life for a lot of people. I say this as someone who waited 3 hours before going to the hospital while having a heart attack earlier this year. Fortunately, my mistake doesn't seem to have any lasting repercussions, but it could have just as easily gone the other way. Had I known that's what was happening, what little heart damage I do have may not have happened at all.

Thermopyle posted:

Like was already said...90% of Google's wearable problems have to do with Qualcomm. Google has the resources, so I really hope they're working on an end run around the fuckin 3100.

I even think a lot of the problems people have with the way Wear OS works stem from the root issue of Google designing around the limitations of the 3100.

Absolutely. Unfortunately, if they were going to do an end run we should have seen something by now. I think this Fitbit buy is the sum total of their health strategy right now for wearables. Buy the userbase that's tracking steps. Otherwise, I see no real unique IP or hardware prowess that Fitbit gives them. They basically paid $2 billion for Fitbit's data and a small additional revenue stream from the existing device catalog.

That's really why I thought Amazon was going to buy them. Amazon is pushing much more aggressively into health care and health analytics and I would have thought that data would have been golden for them to crunch. Not to mention they have warehouses full of workers they can track health metrics of while doing physical labor.

Qualcomm is a problem, and not just with the wearable market. We aren't going to see revolutionary mobile design until they get some real competition. Any big progression from here is going to require mobile processing power that qualcomm simply isn't capable of supplying. This is the danger of relying too heavily on a company that wants consistent incremental upgrades every year in order to have a steady stream of revenue from a broad market. Apple's strategy is to make a longer term investment in processors so that lower range devices are using designs from 1-3 years ago. Qualcomm's strategy is full product line turnover each year to encourage the upgrade cycle. I mean, Apple introduced a viable product this year that is using a 3 year old A10. Can you imagine how bad a new Snapdragon 820 product would be in 2019 and how much people would ridicule it?

Let's also not forget that qualcomm is one of the primary reasons for the short update viability window since Google reliant on them for binary driver blobs for their SoC's. If Qualcomm wants everyone to upgrade, they just have to make the older hardware a pain to support.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

I'm extremely happy with the Mi Band 4. It's $35, it does the basics well, the battery lasts for weeks, and it looks nice. Less $200+ options and more cheap ones imo.
I have one of these (gave my Mi Band 3 away) and both generations do everything I want a "smart watch" to do.
By the time you've extended its functionality with Mi Band tools what it does at the price-point is just incredible.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
The screen on my Oneplus 5 started blinking every few seconds, turning off and on. At first I thought it was a hardware issue, but some guy on the internet told me to wipe the cache in recovery mode. So I did. And it helped. For about 1 day.

The blinking came back, I wiped the cache again and now it's not blinking again. But since the problem repeated in a day, I'm not optimistic.

Anyway: Is this a known issue, is there something I can do to make it not happen again?

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Got my P4XL today, and I have a few questions since Sprint support was confused and giving me confusing information...

What order do I do things in? Is it:
1) Swap SIM card from my original pixel XL (or should I get a new SIM card?)
2) Boot the device, do the login and account transfer thing
3) Then activate with Sprint

During the conversation the tech mentioned updating the device profile. I know how to do that, but if it's needed does that come before or after activation?

The tech also said it could take up to 72hrs to activate... Is it really *up to* that long? I'm sure there's probably anecdotal experiences that will probably be shorter than that but if it *could* take that long I've gotta sit on this for a week because I'm on call for work for a week starting basically right now.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Aexo posted:

Got my P4XL today, and I have a few questions since Sprint support was confused and giving me confusing information...

What order do I do things in? Is it:
1) Swap SIM card from my original pixel XL (or should I get a new SIM card?)
2) Boot the device, do the login and account transfer thing
3) Then activate with Sprint

During the conversation the tech mentioned updating the device profile. I know how to do that, but if it's needed does that come before or after activation?

The tech also said it could take up to 72hrs to activate... Is it really *up to* that long? I'm sure there's probably anecdotal experiences that will probably be shorter than that but if it *could* take that long I've gotta sit on this for a week because I'm on call for work for a week starting basically right now.

If you’re just doing a sim swap it should activate on boot without having to do anything else since it’s the SIM card itself that is active.

E: I did a quick search and I guess Sprint may be different compared to Verizon or T-Mobile and you might have to provide them more device info before it activates. That’s annoying.

comper fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 1, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have an S9+ that I bought at launch. Whenever I am home it basically always sits on a wireless charger on my desk. I feel like the battery life is much lower now than it was when the phone was new (from full charge to about 15% with fairly frequent use throughout the day - when I got the phone I feel like this same amount of use would leave me with around 40%). My use has not really changed in this time. I run the samsung Device Care app regularly.

Did I decondition the battery by leaving the phone on the charger? I don't remember reading about this being a concern.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I feel like an idiot but I can't get my P2XL to transfer to the P4 XL. It keeps telling me to try another cable. I'm using the one that came with the P4 and I tried another cable but neither work. Any suggestions?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Restore from a Google drive backup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
It's like my pixel 2 is trying to charge itself from the new phone.

Edit: Wiggled the cable a bit and it started working. Off to a great start here lol

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 2, 2019