Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

Scrapping the single parent benefit doesn't even make Sound Economic Sense™ though, because single parents on low incomes are probably the most likely group other than homeless people and working class pensioners to spend that money immediately in their local economy. They aren't going to hide it in the Caymans or speculate on land or invest it in the bonds of foreign governments, things that would render it economically inactive.

It was 100% playing to the public on the stereotype of the time that single mums are sluts who get knocked up for free council houses and need to be taught a lesson, right wing ban this sick filth populism, which as much as he liked to play the technocrat he was always up for a bit of.

all the departments were told to trim their sails - which most did by tweaking secondary legislation. But for the then-Department of Social Security, welfare policies were written in primary legislation and so it had to be legislated to match the budgetary estimates to retain the spending pledge. The estimates, themselves, were written by the outgoing government which had already announced and planned that cut prior to the election - it was not a new policy. So...

but that's not really the point, which is rather that you know fully well that McDonnell, in tyool 2019, isn't going to be marking projections on the assumption of a 100% permanent income multiplier either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Braggart posted:

Oh hey, I have an avatar. I browse with avatars off because ADHD and distractions ooh shiny, so I didn't notice at first. Was that you BobbyDeluxe, or did my dithering allow someone to steal a march? :D
It was me, as was Chuka's. Yours because that last longpost was both good and resonated with me, and Chukas because I couldn't believe someone nabbed that username. I do not have anything like enough money for this though, and my wife is probably going to start ask questions if I keep doing it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Collateral posted:

This thread obsesses too much over the lib dems. They are conversely pathetic laughable but dangerous and could be the doom of the country. It's like something I remember Eco writing about.

Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too laughable and too dangerous. Labour governments are condemned to lose elections because they are constitutionally incapable of objectively evaluating risk of murderous clowns.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

all the departments were told to trim their sails - which most did by tweaking secondary legislation. But for the then-Department of Social Security, welfare policies were written in primary legislation and so it had to be legislated to match the budgetary estimates to retain the spending pledge. The estimates, themselves, were written by the outgoing government which had already announced and planned that cut prior to the election - it was not a new policy. So...

but that's not really the point, which is rather that you know fully well that McDonnell, in tyool 2019, isn't going to be marking projections on the assumption of a 100% permanent income multiplier either
Yes, but the policies were written in primary legislation because they went down well with the crowd at the Sun who were suddenly very interested in Tony Blair over Lame Duck John Major, it's the inverse tactic of the current Labour press team, send the water nationalization story to the paper with the editor who owns water shares but the sympathetic audience, so he will write a hate piece on it and the readership will come away with "oh, Labour want to get our water back." The far more simple touch of nice sociopathy towards acceptable targets to carry the rest of the manifesto.

I doubt McDonnell will try anything truly radical either (although I do really like the Common Ground Trust idea, it's hardly mass land appropriation), but it's more about normalizing soft left policy so that we can keep up pressure and keep dragging the frame.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

mila kunis posted:

Should labour pull off a win in this election would Corbyn's agenda be hobbled by blairites?

It would depend on how much of a win I think.

Minority government that only just gets over the line => probably referendum on brexit then new election
Almost a majority => A few non-contentious policies maybe, but probably again an election once brexit is resolved
Slight majority => Able to keep the government going but anything even slightly radical shot down.
Large majority => :getin:

That makes it look like I think anything realistic is pointless, but if we get in government then in any case Brexit is likely to be resolved and also people will see that PM Corbyn isn't embarking on Holocaust II: Communist Boogaloo so we'll be well-placed next election.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Ed_Miliband/status/1190052382442500097

About a million years too late to respond to this tweet being shared, but it's something I've been thinking about recently. When tories scream about class war, what they fear is someone someone fighting back.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

MrFlibble posted:

Its a democracy, I get to vote however I feel for whatever reason I like. The loving moon told me that its Corbyn or leftier and who am I to object to a celestial body?

I mean, yes you get to vote however, just as you technically can choose to play a shooter by only moving, not aiming with the other stick. It’s valid input, but it’s not how the system is actually meant to work, and is the least useful thing to do for your constituency.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I mean, yes you get to vote however, just as you technically can choose to play a shooter by only moving, not aiming with the other stick. It’s valid input, but it’s not how the system is actually meant to work, and is the least useful thing to do for your constituency.

pretty sure the best thing for my constituency is to have a Labour government

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
you must really love this boris johnson person as pm if you insist on voting him into office two times in the same year

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Well I mean it is possible that the leader of a political party has a significant input on what the party will do with power and I choose to use the leader as a proxy to determine whether it is worth the effort to vote.

Meant to work, what absolute bullshit. Democracy isn't meant to work. It's meant to prevent us from putting heads on blocks, and it does that job just fine (atm) regardless of how we choose our votes.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

mila kunis posted:

Should labour pull off a win in this election would Corbyn's agenda be hobbled by blairites?

Who really knows but I reckon yes. There's this guy Behr that is basically a bog standard Guardian shitlib but in the last year seems to have taken the role Nick Cohen used to have of being extremely connected to the Labour 'moderate' players and his most recent article makes me think that they will keep on doing dumb #Resistance poo poo https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/29/tories-election-boris-johnson-prime-minister

Like they've 100% internalised that T-May lost the election for herself and a non-Corbyn candidate would have smashed it. There's a weird random line, brackets even, that they think he's explicitly unfit to be PM. Even if we do somehow beat the odds and manage to win don't expect that to make the poo poo people stop being poo poo.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Obligatory: Robert Webb is a terf twat

Hey come on, lets be fair - he's a full-spectrum wanker.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/brianmoore666/status/1190381530138521601?s=19

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013

ronya posted:

after the car crash that was the Economic Advisory Committee back in 2015-2016, McDonnell also seems to become wary of trying to pitch new economics - it must have the OBR's stamp of approval and nothing less will suffice

Just like to post these graphs whenever anyone mentions this office

This is what happens when you study PPE: only linear growth is possible despite all observations, ignore reality, draw a straight line, austerity works.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Are there any good economics departments left in the world, or have they all been poisoned by the same neoliberalism poisoning their universities?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

I am supremely pumped for this game, chaps! I've got my rugger togs on and I'm ready to knock over some children!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/HealthUntoDeath/status/1190383533803610117?s=19

Nick Clegg is just pure scum.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Did someone say Clegg?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSS1FIkGOX8

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Carborundum posted:

Just like to post these graphs whenever anyone mentions this office

This is what happens when you study PPE: only linear growth is possible despite all observations, ignore reality, draw a straight line, austerity works.

The 'best' bit of this graph is that you can see normal growth in 2010/11 as the economy gets the last gasp of Brown's response to the recession...which is then snuffed out forever by Austerity.

The party of sound economics and commonsense policy, everyone...!

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the specific problem with the EAC as a Serious Panel of Serious Left-Wing Economists was that they revolted and supported the 2016 post-Brexit-referendum shadow cabinet demand that Corbyn go

it's the problem with trying to build momentum by assembling committees of influential thought leaders/sportsmen/celebrities to sing your praises, that siren song that lures desperate politicians - they were influential before you asked, and they'll be influential after; they don't really need to be politically obedient. As such they won't reliably use their influence to prop up someone else's. It's OK to have technical advisors but they need to be beholden to the leadership, not the other way around...

it's an object lesson in why parties have think tanks that do the thinking in some way that does not accrue visibility and branding to them directly. For Corbyn's Labour today, in the wake of initial learning experiences, this is now IPPR and the New Economics Foundation (from which Meadway hails), both of which remain at a comfortable arm's length despite having a heavy influence on shadow Treasury policy and the GND. At the same time, the icky work of building credibility has to be done by the politician personally, hence McDonnell's tea offensive to the City - you can't farm it out, since ultimately it'll be you making the call on what goes into the budget speech

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/paul__johnson/status/1190355115015901185
So this is kinda out of the blue.

Great news though. But it really, really smacks of "we've had a terrible week, we need to do something to get control of the agenda again... uh... uh.. fracking is banned!!"

I hope they get no political capital out of it and everyone constantly reminds them they defended fracking to the hilt extremely recently.

Also lol, a fracking lobbyist is writing their manifesto and they've done this.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

jabby posted:

Great news though. But it really, really smacks of "we've had a terrible week, we need to do something to get control of the agenda again... uh... uh.. fracking is banned!!"

I hope they get no political capital out of it and everyone constantly reminds them they defended fracking to the hilt extremely recently.

I thought it was only going to be -new- fracking, so unlikely to affect any of the sites already earmarked by Cuadrilla et al

I'm guessing Jo Swinson will get a bonus to put it on the LD manifesto

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jabby posted:

Watch as something exactly the same as fracking but called "watersourcing" is made the flagship energy policy henceforth.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
OP updates with resources for all your resources needs, extracted in a way that probably doesn't cause earthquakes.

Tesseraction posted:

Watch as something exactly the same as fracking but called "waterboarding" is made the flagship energy policy henceforth.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Collateral posted:

This thread obsesses too much over the lib dems. They are conversely pathetic laughable but dangerous and could be the doom of the country. It's like something I remember Eco writing about.

Look to the bright side and stop staring into shadows.

I'm very much of the opinion that nobody should underestimate the Lib Dems. They will only crash and burn if enough pressure is put on them from activists and Labour. They will likely get a lot of funding from the neoliberalist remain camp. That in itself will not be insignificant, but it will be bolstered by additional funding from those who have jumped ship from the Tory party out of disgust at Johnson.

Will they overtake Labour? Absolutely not. But if left unchecked they could be a spoiler which prevents Labour from being the largest party or have a majority.

On that topic, I'm unsure if excluding the Lib Dems from the debates will be good for Labour. If the Liberals spin it as an underdog tale for them it might increase their support especially among Remain voters. That said, it could be beneficial for Corbyn to go straight against Johnson and make the Party's case without being interrupted and told he is a Brexit enabling monster or whatever. Corbyn will be framed by Johnson as the main force for Remain in the one on one debate.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I’ve just put that Gracie Petrie link to my local Labour Party down in Hayle, so thanks to whoever put that out, it might be some much needed funds.

Best sub forum I’ve been involved in since my initial $10.

Thanks.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Hey thread, do we have any evidence/material regarding Swinson / the lib dems being poo poo on the NHS? I'm marshalling my arguments to persuade my sister to vote Labour rather than Lib Dem and I think a heartfelt appeal pointing out how important the NHS are/have been to my family would be a big factor in swaying her.

It's actually kind of devious of them not to have any policies besides remain because like Brexit itself it allows you to project whatever your own values are into the gaps.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pretty sure she voted in favour of all the private contracts etc while in coalition.

E: Yep.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 2, 2019

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Maugrim posted:

Hey thread, do we have any evidence/material regarding Swinson / the lib dems being poo poo on the NHS? I'm marshalling my arguments to persuade my sister to vote Labour rather than Lib Dem and I think a heartfelt appeal pointing out how important the NHS are/have been to my family would be a big factor in swaying her.

It's actually kind of devious of them not to have any policies besides remain because like Brexit itself it allows you to project whatever your own values are into the gaps.
Her voting record on health is here; I don't know enough about this to be able to comment
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11971/jo_swinson/east_dunbartonshire/votes#health

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Maugrim posted:

They abstained on an amendment to the Queen's Speech that stated the NHS would be protected from further privatisation and US corporate interests.

Then there's this report on the impact of austerity on public health https://ilcuk.org.uk/public-health-in-europe-during-the-austerity-years/

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/1190274284507320320

God drat I love Bernie and love our comrades across the pond facing the exact same fight we're facing.

Like there's this unsung element of the difference between traditional establishment editorialised media and social media happenstance which is just encouragement and communication. When the Ferguson protests happened those protesters were getting tips on how to handle tear gas directly from Palestinians, when the blackout on the Gilles Jaunes protests kicked in that same advice and support network found them too.

Maugrim posted:

Hey thread, do we have any evidence/material regarding Swinson / the lib dems being poo poo on the NHS?

The voting records of any LDs during the coalition. They murdered disabled people.

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 2, 2019

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

CGI Stardust posted:

Her voting record on health is here; I don't know enough about this to be able to comment
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11971/jo_swinson/east_dunbartonshire/votes#health

Yeah I looked over that and it seemed fairly arcane and not obviously bad...

Tarnop posted:

They abstained on an amendment to the Queen's Speech that stated the NHS would be protected from further privatisation and US corporate interests.

Then there's this report on the impact of austerity on public health https://ilcuk.org.uk/public-health-in-europe-during-the-austerity-years/

This however may do the trick, thanks!

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/SectorWriter/status/1190362023617531904?s=19

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I imagine the entire conversation would be like two chat bots responding to each other.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It was me, as was Chuka's. Yours because that last longpost was both good and resonated with me, and Chukas because I couldn't believe someone nabbed that username. I do not have anything like enough money for this though, and my wife is probably going to start ask questions if I keep doing it.

Well thank you, it's lovely. And I live in Scotland, where we do always thank the bus driver :D

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

BalloonFish posted:

The 'best' bit of this graph is that you can see normal growth in 2010/11 as the economy gets the last gasp of Brown's response to the recession...which is then snuffed out forever by Austerity.

The party of sound economics and commonsense policy, everyone...!

My favourite part is them clearly revising their predictions down once they realise just how hard austerity is loving the economy so that the actual contraction looks good in comparison (because "growth better than predicted!")

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Maugrim posted:

https://twitter.com/ppls2ndref/status/1173680632192540672

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Braggart posted:

Well thank you, it's lovely. And I live in Scotland, where we do always thank the bus driver :D

everyone everywhere thanks the bus driver, in scotland you go that extra mile and give him a handy too which is why buses are always late.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Braggart posted:

torn by the new edinburgh buses with the separate doors for leaving, slightly more efficient but also makes it difficult to thank the driver without shouting across the length of the bus, and it just doesn't do to make a scene now does it, what would society think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lmao #FBPA is being used for Follow Back Pro Austerity, I'm hoping it's 95% trolls

Angepain posted:

torn by the new edinburgh buses with the separate doors for leaving, slightly more efficient but also makes it difficult to thank the driver without shouting across the length of the bus, and it just doesn't do to make a scene now does it, what would society think
Thank them for entering the bus.