Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
If I want to give the webcomic a shot, where does the manga leave off thus far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flesnolk posted:

If I want to give the webcomic a shot, where does the manga leave off thus far?

Around Chapter 60 if you want to get the gist of the pacing of the original along with some changes, 66 if you want to jump exactly to where we are.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
One-punch Man 120

Genos' new design is really living up to his hero name

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I love how bad the executive is at throwing things.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sirtommygunn posted:

Definitely right-handed.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

One-punch Man 120

Genos' new design is really living up to his hero name

Oh man Nyan survived and he really wishes he hadn't

sirtommygunn posted:

Sekingar is proving that all the suits aren't just talk.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
He's bad at throwing, but Genos is good at catching, so it works out.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Elfface posted:

He's bad at throwing, but Genos is good at catching, so it works out.

Genos leaning into his arms always being ripped off so now it's all a pulley/cable system is so cool.

In fact, Genos rather low key growth through his interactions with Saitama and his fights is one of my favorite parts of this story.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
https://mangadex.org/chapter/739203

This chapter is amazing - Murata's ability to give a sense of motion to his comics is second to none, and Sekingar throwing off target when he's throwing left handed and drugged after his right hand got cut off is an amazing gag.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

RIP Fubuki wearing a floppy witches hat and an intricately lacy dress

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm starting to regard Sekingar as up there with Mumen Rider as a genuinely heroic person.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Did anyone else catch what happened? At the beginning Genos was so impressed by Saitama that he reflected on his weakness and came to the conclusion that cheap tricks aren't going to cut it. So he kept training and training and now he's strong.

Food Battler just became Genos' fanboi! Saitama crew is constantly growing. I really hope we see some progression of minor characters. Like Licenseless Rider getting his motorbike license!

I wouldn't be surprised if the Hero Association starts getting worried that a single person has so much sway with top class heroes.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
They'll assume they're all part of King's posse, or possibly Bang.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gologle posted:

I'm starting to regard Sekingar as up there with Mumen Rider as a genuinely heroic person.

Most of the heroes we've seen seem like genuinely heroic people honestly. Well, not a lot of the S ranks but whenever anyone from the lower ranks get some spotlight they come off like decent dudes.

E: Ok, there were those heroes that attacked Garou too. But everyone who's helping out in this raid are doing alright!

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 2, 2019

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The tank top crew are the real heroes.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

Captain Mizuki is the real hero.

ftfy

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Food boy was also a real good guy.

The translator didn't realisme that Garou as a mummy was the Halloween frontpage

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
every time i try to imagine what Murata's version of the end of this arc will be... muh thoughts turn ta mush :saddowns:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We have footage from the closed beta of the game and hoo boy it does not look good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A_myw9eM_4

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's weird they left his name as Mumen Rider but translated Tatsumaki and Fubuki's names.

Also on account of OPM being a relatively young series a lot of the moves are just boring.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Elfface posted:

They'll assume they're all part of King's posse, or possibly Bang.

Everyone wants to be a member of Bangs Bros

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Blaze Dragon posted:

We have footage from the closed beta of the game and hoo boy it does not look good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A_myw9eM_4

Poor Genos has no special moves or something. Unless the "All" in the title is wrong.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

RatHat posted:

It's weird they left his name as Mumen Rider but translated Tatsumaki and Fubuki's names.

Also on account of OPM being a relatively young series a lot of the moves are just boring.

I mean in general OPM doesn't have that many esoteric special moves in the first place.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

RatHat posted:

It is strange. For most of the cast they went with their hero names so it makes sense to translate them. But then Saitama and Genos get their normal names.

I think Mumen Rider goes untranslated because they couldn't find a good way to keep the Kamen Rider pun in English. A lot of people like Common Rider, and I do too, but it doesn't mean anything to anyone who doesn't already know what Kamen Rider is and it doesn't communicate the joke that he doesn't have his motorcycle license. Even the original "Licenseless Rider" from the scans doesn't work since without knowing what Kamen Rider's deal is you won't know what license he's supposed to have. I personally like "Unmasked Rider" or "Nonmasked Rider" but the former sounds like he used to wear a mask and the latter is awkward.

Ultimately, it comes down to this. The only way to properly translate Mumen Rider's name is to make Kamen Rider a cultural icon in the English speaking world. Get on it, Toei!

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
If it's not good enough for fighting game fans, it needs to be fun enough for OPM fans. And... yeah.
Something about Bang's moves look off. Like S2 water polo carbonated fist instead of S1 quality I guess.
Uh... I liked that atomic slash does 99 hits??

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's a tie in arena fighter. A genre which has never been good and I think only Dragonball and Naruto have ever had ones with any real production value put into them. This is about what i'd expect.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I was curious to how they would show saitama being beaten.

Supermarket indeed.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah arena fighters are just.. nah.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

It is strange. For most of the cast they went with their hero names so it makes sense to translate them. But then Saitama and Genos get their normal names.

I think Mumen Rider goes untranslated because they couldn't find a good way to keep the Kamen Rider pun in English. A lot of people like Common Rider, and I do too, but it doesn't mean anything to anyone who doesn't already know what Kamen Rider is and it doesn't communicate the joke that he doesn't have his motorcycle license. Even the original "Licenseless Rider" from the scans doesn't work since without knowing what Kamen Rider's deal is you won't know what license he's supposed to have. I personally like "Unmasked Rider" or "Nonmasked Rider" but the former sounds like he used to wear a mask and the latter is awkward.

Ultimately, it comes down to this. The only way to properly translate Mumen Rider's name is to make Kamen Rider a cultural icon in the English speaking world. Get on it, Toei!

Licenseless Rider is a great name though, even without the Kamen rider background. He's a rider without a license, that's awesome

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The best name was Common Rider

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean "they can't make a translation that's 100% perfect for a western audience so they should just leave it as something totally incomprehensible" is super flawed logic anyway.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I've never seen Kamen Rider, but I've learned through osmosis that he kicks for justice and rides a motorcycle. Also there's been lots of Kamen Riders, each with a different insect themed helmet.

Common Rider works about as well as Mumen Rider as a 'This guy is like Kamen but not as good' joke. Like when you have a hero named SuperGuy or Batsman you don't need to know more to get the joke.

Anime fans are generally in the 'vaguely aware of Kamen Rider' camp, and if not it's fun trivia when they wonder about the name, and now they're vaguely aware of Kamen Rider too.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

and even if you don't know what Kamen Rider is, Common Rider evokes a kind of everyman sentiment that fits his character. whereas mumen rider means absolutely nothing to an English speaker

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If you know about kamen rider: common rider is a fun and good hero name. Mumen rider probably means nothing unless you had someone explain it to you already, or you have actually learned japanese

If you don't know about kamen rider: common rider carries some meaning about the guy being relatively weak and just a normal dude. Mumen rider means absolutely nothing.

Common rider is the better name in both cases

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Do other communities use Common Rider? Or this name only known here in this thread? It's clearly superior to other names, but it seems like it'll never reach anyone with impact's ears.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
King's Engine.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
new chapter
Big fan of the lego snowman

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I know Puri-Puri Prisoner's thing is nicknames but I think Darky could have been translated a bit better

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Finally, I’ve been waiting for this monster to get some action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I am so fuckin' hyped for Darkshine vs. Garou