Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Do they print Bible references on the bottom of the cups?

Eating at In-N-Out for the first time is a religious experience in of itself. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I never said you can't recycle plastic. You just can't keep recycling it again and again like aluminum.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

ratbert90 posted:

When I lived in Michigan everybody tried to convince me that Shake Shack was better than InNout. I finally tried them a month before I left to SoCal and Lmao it is absolutely not better in any way shape or form.

Shake Shack has way better burgers than In-N-Out, but is also way more expensive. I like In-N-Out's fries though, and would give them the edge over Shake Shack's. Shake Shacks fries are not bad, but they are pretty ordinary.

Andrast posted:

Why not?

Glass, aluminum and plastic cans/bottles are all recycled in Finland

If recycling plastic is just as energy/resource intensive or is more intensive than synthesizing new plastic, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to recycle it. I have heard this to be true for the recycling many types of plastic, but not for aluminum. This makes sense to me, because I have heard that extracting aluminum from its ore uses a lot of electricity.

I don't understand why it is so important for us to recycle paper. The stuff literally grows on trees.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

silence_kit posted:

I don't understand why it is so important for us to recycle paper. The stuff literally grows on trees.

People used to not plant new trees. Also, I'm not certain that they are replanting with the best kinds of trees.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

silence_kit posted:

Take a look at satellite imagery of Oregon.

It would be good to devote less land to pulpwood monoculture with periodic clearcuts.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just stop using so much paper. Like there's no reason for anyone to print out emails.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

silence_kit posted:

Shake Shack has way better burgers than In-N-Out, but is also way more expensive. I like In-N-Out's fries though, and would give them the edge over Shake Shack's. Shake Shacks fries are not bad, but they are pretty ordinary.

Shake Shack is, as far as I know, the only major fast food chain serving crinkle cut fries, so your opinion of their spuds lives or dies on that.

silence_kit posted:

Out of all the common recycled products, paper is probably the least critical, but considering that trees take a bit to grow, it's still useful

Acute Grill has a new favorite as of 21:41 on Nov 1, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I mean, it’s still considered pretty obviously good to cut food waste, despite nearly all food being renewable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDTiFkXgEE

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Acute Grill posted:

Shake Shack is, as far as I know, the only major fast food chain serving crinkle cut fries, so your opinion of their spuds lives or dies on that.

Del. loving. Taco.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Dumb and amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk0_-yKuGGM

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Croatoan posted:

Oh? Can you elaborate? I mean it doesn't matter to me, I use a reusable insulated bottle but why wouldn't aluminum be recyclable?
Aluminum uses the same energy to process per pound whether it's raw ore or recyclable material. The value of recycling entirely depends on the balance between the logistics cost to sort and take your aluminum trash to the facility vs the mining cost. And considering most people don't live near the foundry and the foundries are mostl next to the mines it isn't such a home run as people first think when read foundries use the same energy per pound either way.

Recycling as a whole is a participation trophy you get for failing reuse and reduce and except for a few lean mean local supply chains that are really doing it acceptable it mostly just gets sold and resold until it's illictly dumped into a South Pacific lagoon.

That doesn't mean we should stop but you know just be aware the blue bin isn't a magic environmental win button.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

zedprime posted:

Aluminum uses the same energy to process per pound whether it's raw ore or recyclable material. The value of recycling entirely depends on the balance between the logistics cost to sort and take your aluminum trash to the facility vs the mining cost. And considering most people don't live near the foundry and the foundries are mostl next to the mines it isn't such a home run as people first think when read foundries use the same energy per pound either way.

Recycling as a whole is a participation trophy you get for failing reuse and reduce and except for a few lean mean local supply chains that are really doing it acceptable it mostly just gets sold and resold until it's illictly dumped into a South Pacific lagoon.

That doesn't mean we should stop but you know just be aware the blue bin isn't a magic environmental win button.

You're right about reduce/reuse but you think digging up a shitload of ore thats mostly not aluminum and refining it is the same energy wise as melting a big pile of mostly aluminum

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

zedprime posted:

Did you confuse aluminum & plastic here? The wikipedia page on aluminum recycling claims that recycling scrap aluminum uses 5% of the energy cost of smelting aluminum ore, and that 36% of all aluminum produced in the US comes from scrap. It sounds to me like recycling aluminum is pretty economical.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

zedprime posted:

Aluminum uses the same energy to process per pound whether it's raw ore or recyclable material.

cite your sources so we can at least point and laugh at the idiot who taught you this instead of just assuming you're the idiot who made it up in your own idiot head

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

zedprime posted:

Aluminum uses the same energy to process per pound whether it's raw ore or recyclable material.

That's entirely not true. Producing aluminum from ore requires enormous amounts of energy to first convert bauxite to aluminum oxide and then to drive the electrolytic cells that reduce aluminum oxide to the pure metal. Recycling aluminum just involves melting down the aluminum you've already produced, which only takes about 5-10% of the energy to produce the same amount of aluminum from bauxite.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=7570

For glass, it's more or less a wash; as you say, whether it makes sense or not depends on how far you have to truck the waste glass to the glass recycling facility, the type of furnace the facility uses. For plastics, once you figure in the whole sorting issue, it also might or might not make any sense.

But aluminum is a huge economic win to recycle.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Stuff You Should Know did a really informative podcast episode on recycling. If you've got an hour it's well worth it.
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/how-stuff-works/stuff-you-should-know/e/55464899
I learned a lot. It's also pretty depressing to find out how poo poo recycling is because with a lot of products it's just not economically worth it so there's not much incentive to do it. The worst thing for me was to find out that you can ruin a huge batch of paper goods with poo poo like disposable cups because of the wax coating. Like I suggested, I use a reusable insulated bottle because it's super more friendly. Also a ton of places like gas stations will let you use your own bottle if you want to get coffee and give you a discount for not using their cups. It's a win-win.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

InediblePenguin posted:

cite your sources so we can at least point and laugh at the idiot who taught you this instead of just assuming you're the idiot who made it up in your own idiot head
I'm an idiot who made it up in my head.

I think I mixed it up between glass being the wash recycling and most ore smelters being run off hydro while recyclers can get by on more expensive energy sources.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Hydroelectric power is loving awful.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Croatoan posted:

Oh? Can you elaborate? I mean it doesn't matter to me, I use a reusable insulated bottle but why wouldn't aluminum be recyclable?

I didn't say anything about recycling. I said prepackaged water is not green. There are increased material cost (recycled or not), you're pumping huge amounts in a way that can be very damaging to the local ecosystems, shipping massive amounts of liquids which uses fuels, and then much of that is being stored in coolers until purchased. Changing the materials impact is a change, but the system as a whole is broken and wasteful. Not to mention the other social and environmental damage done by companies like Nestle and CocaCola.

Recycling is a step in the right direction but there is a reason the slogan is "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle."

Atticus_1354 has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Nov 2, 2019

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

Just stop using so much paper. Like there's no reason for anyone to print out emails.

Well, I would love to throw away less paper, but every day people send me unrequested brochures and ads and lovely trade magazines... Marketing, as always, is a terrible source of waste.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

packetmantis posted:

Hydroelectric power is loving awful.

Why is it bad? Ecological reasons? Efficiency? Does that include like power plants that use tidal energy? Not trolling, just curious.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Del. loving. Taco.

Del Taco is just in the South, and inexplicably also Detroit.

Laopooh posted:

Why is it bad? Ecological reasons? Efficiency? Does that include like power plants that use tidal energy? Not trolling, just curious.

The dams gently caress up the local ecosystems and historically, dam builders haven't been particularly concerned about the impact on the people living downriver or forced to move because their home will soon be a lake bed.

Acute Grill has a new favorite as of 03:53 on Nov 2, 2019

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Laopooh posted:

Dams absolutely destroy the local ecosystem and have far-reaching consequences even beyond that. I'm not sure about tidal energy, I assume that would be less bad.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Acute Grill posted:

There's Del Tacos in Phoenix, which is inexplicable to me.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Phanatic posted:

There's Del Tacos in Phoenix, which is inexplicable to me.

Boomers

My FiL loved eating there in LA and San Diego.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

silence_kit posted:

I don't understand why it is so important for us to recycle paper.

Because less trash is good.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Acute Grill posted:

The dams gently caress up the local ecosystems and historically, dam builders haven't been particularly concerned about the impact on the people living downriver or forced to move because their home will soon be a lake bed.

There's also the issue that climate change means there might not be steady water flow in the future for the hydro dams to even work

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Acute Grill posted:

The Three Gorges Dam is inducing seismicity in the area that could have the potential to exceed that which the dam is rated for.

Also, the silt levels building up behind the dam and not flowing downstream is increasing erosion on riverbeds downstream, so you get hosed coming and going.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Hoover Dam: problematic fave.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Acute Grill posted:

:colbert:

PERMACAV 50 has a new favorite as of 04:41 on Nov 3, 2019

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that place i've never heard of has a whole 60 locations according to wikipedia so I don't know if they count as a 'major fast food chain'

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Majorly talked-about, from my Chicagoland friends.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Those are some god drat good looking fries right there though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Shake Shacks fries are frozen lmao. loving terrible.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Never had shake shack but I'm fairly confident they are better than In N Out fries

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Hell, let's expand it to the whole upper Midwest:

716 locations to In-N-Out's 347, thank you!

(i would murder for a basket of these and some cheese curds right now)

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

According to goons, it is a good marketing move to pretend that your frozen Ore-Ida fries are good and a bad marketing move to have actually good fries (In-n-out).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a good marketing move for In n out to make fresh fries but it still tastes terrible

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Does anyone think Netflix has got another year or two at most?

It's got all these other competing streaming services that have all sorts of other things to back them up. Also they've entirely lost their staring match with the theater chains.

I think they're going to be known not as the thing, but the thing that got us to the thing. And remembered fondly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Good crispy fries are made by dunking frozen bits of potato straight into the hot oil. If you put warm potato bits in they just come out soggy and terrible.

If you fresh-cut fries, snap-froze them, and then fried them, they'd probably come out pretty good, but that's not what in-n-out does.