Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That was one of the two records they did with Ross Robinson right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wark Say posted:

That was one of the two records they did with Ross Robinson right?

Yeah, that one and The Anti-Mother

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
This kick drum sound the new RoS is terrible, just absolutely dreadful

You could say I'm.... triggered by it

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Boo! Hiss!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

kumba posted:

This kick drum sound the new RoS is terrible, just absolutely dreadful

You could say I'm.... triggered by it

Doesn't really stand out to me as being bad. I mean, I kind of expect that type of sound from a band like RoS or Infant Annihilator.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
It's never really bugged me in their previous releases but for whatever reason it really stands out to me on this one, like they were trying pick the sample with the least oomph possible

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Kinda digging this.

https://youtu.be/5V4GC8VVESI

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006

I've played the album a few times and always enjoy it, but then immediately forget about them. Is a good song but I can't put my finger on why they don't stick.

This was next up and I'm also digging it. Never even heard of Imminence: https://youtu.be/2HKRfKeVS78

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

New counterparts is my AOTY

gently caress

Yeah man,,,

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wamsutta posted:

gently caress

Yeah man,,,

Is this finally out for real? I know they've been selling the vinyl at their shows so some lower quality leaks have been floating around for a few weeks now.

E: Sick, looks like it is. I gotta drive around to some client sites today so I'm def checking this out.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I am seeing Polaris tonight and I am very excited. I don't much care about the other bands playing (Wage War, Like Moths to Flames, Dayseeker) but I cannot loving wait for Polaris since I missed them last time they came around with ABR

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

kumba posted:

I am seeing Polaris tonight and I am very excited. I don't much care about the other bands playing (Wage War, Like Moths to Flames, Dayseeker) but I cannot loving wait for Polaris since I missed them last time they came around with ABR

I'm jealous. I was close to making the 8 hour drive to Denver to see them but it didn't work out. The Mortal Coil turns 2 on Sunday and I'm still obsessed with it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

60 Hertz Jig posted:

I've played the album a few times and always enjoy it, but then immediately forget about them. Is a good song but I can't put my finger on why they don't stick.

This was next up and I'm also digging it. Never even heard of Imminence: https://youtu.be/2HKRfKeVS78

I like this as well, thanks for posting it.

New Counterparts is real good.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

wandler20 posted:

New Counterparts is real good.

yes, yes it is

i don't quite think it reaches into AOTY territory but it's very good

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
The production on the new Counterparts album is real good. Some of their past albums haven't sounded so good sonically. Oh, also the album itself is good too! Counterparts never really seems to disappoint.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
I love Counterparts and they just keep topping themselves with each album. The vocals can be very one note, which is my only gripe with them but they threw in some cleans and some varied screams on the new one and I think they’re at their best now.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

New Stray From The Path album is also out today. It's more of the same, but they write some cool riffs (and some laaaaaaame lyrics)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

XIII posted:

New Stray From The Path album is also out today. It's more of the same, but they write some cool riffs (and some laaaaaaame lyrics)

I'm actually liking this album a lot more than any of their other stuff. Idk, something clicks for me with it. It's kinda like an easy listen, the songwriting is good, riffs catchy, vocals good. Lyrics...meh. Growing up as a big Nine Inch Nails fan, I've heard some pretty terrible lyrics so I'm not bothered my em.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm actually liking this album a lot more than any of their other stuff. Idk, something clicks for me with it. It's kinda like an easy listen, the songwriting is good, riffs catchy, vocals good. Lyrics...meh. Growing up as a big Nine Inch Nails fan, I've heard some pretty terrible lyrics so I'm not bothered my em.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Stray. It's why I've been posting their new tracks, haha. I'm fully okay with cornball lyrics in my hardcore. Drew's a great vocalist, the riffs are interesting and fun, poo poo gets heavy, I agree with their messaging, etc. IMO I doubt they'll ever top Make Your Own History or Rising Sun, but each album has some tracks that I'll routinely throw in a playlist (and I agree this new one is probably their best since the two I just mentioned)

Edit: lol, I forgot that I'm seeing Counterparts, SFTP, Varials, and Dying Wish on Sunday. Going for Dying Wish, staying for the rest.

XIII fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 2, 2019

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Polaris loving killed it god drat, US headlining tour when???? I need more than like 6 songs

They played a new song called Hibernating, it was really good!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

i love stray's cornball asses and the new one shreds

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

XIII posted:

Edit: lol, I forgot that I'm seeing Counterparts, SFTP, Varials, and Dying Wish on Sunday. Going for Dying Wish, staying for the rest.

i went to this here in LA where chamber opened (which is who i really went for + varials). when stray played i kept yelling "rising sun" in between songs and they didn't seem to enjoy that

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

kumba posted:

Polaris loving killed it god drat, US headlining tour when???? I need more than like 6 songs

I legitimately thought you were talking about the Pete & Pete band for a minute lol

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

kumba posted:

I knew I should've went. But yeah, I really hope they do a headlining tour here at some point, I won't miss it. Glad they are playing some new stuff, hopefully they have a new album next year but I'm still not tired of what they have out now. Definitely my favorite band for the past two years.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

kumba posted:

They played a new song called Hibernating

* “Hypermania”

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Beelzebozo posted:

* “Hypermania”

Hey it was very loud, at least I was close lmao

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Oh poo poo, new Polaris track to drop:

https://twitter.com/resistrecords/status/1191837814259761153?s=20

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

It's only been one listen so I'm hoping it grows on me, but I was kind of disappointed by the new track. It feels like it's missing something.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
the SeeYouSpaceCowboy full-length shreds. they definitely abandoned a lot of their original formula in favor of longer way more melodic/metalcore songs and i love it tbqh.

https://purenoise.bandcamp.com/album/the-correlation-between-entrance-and-exit-wounds

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Dango Bango posted:

It's only been one listen so I'm hoping it grows on me, but I was kind of disappointed by the new track. It feels like it's missing something.

I'm digging it. Sounds like they tried something different for this track: https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/news/musicnews/polaris-new-single-video-masochist/11677274

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmU2HH0LHmY

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fully read this as @PolarisAnus at first.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
BMTH released a new track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWR2pkfwfuA

Sounds like they're done making full albums:

quote:

“We’ve got plans, definitely. ‘Ludens‘ will be the first song you hear from the new record. We’re not going to do an album again, maybe ever. We’re thinking about doing shorter records. I don’t want to say we’re going to do something and not live up to it, but the plan is to release multiple records next year.”

quote:

“I’m really proud of ‘amo‘, but it was such a loving ballache to make. We spent a whole loving year of our lives making that record. Part of me was like, ‘For what? We’re never going to get to play all of those songs’. You have to ration your creativity over all your songs. You write a really cool pop song then you have to write a heavy song to balance out, then you need to think about singles.”

quote:

“There’s all this poo poo you need to think about and how it’s going to sit on a 15 track album. I don’t want to do that. When we wrote ‘Ludens’, it was crazy but it was fun. We just had to write one song and it just had to serve the video game. We didn’t have to write the biggest song in the world. I just love to sit and go, ‘Let’s just write a song and not worry about how it needs to be’.”

quote:

“I like how our records go from super poppy to heavy then electronic, and next I’d like to make a bunch of records where each of them has a distinct vibe to it. It doesn’t have to be an emotional rollercoaster, you can say ‘I’m pissed off so I’ll listen to this one’ or go for something a little more sombre. There’s always a degree of compromise, but I’d love to write songs that are just the most obscure, electro-y.”

quote:

“I know our fanbase won’t be too happy if we go all the way, but if we release a short record that’s straight-up Bring Me The Horizon then another that’s electro, no one is going to give a poo poo because there’s another coming. It’s not the only record of the next three years, it’s just the record of that season.”

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

i dig it

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
At first I was of the thought that, like a lot of disgrunted/relapsed In Flames fans, they should just call themselves something else, but y'know what? gently caress it, gimme electro pop-rock BMTH. Amo was good, even if it didn't do as much for me as Sempiternal or There is a Hell...

This I thoroughly loved.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
more bands should just do ep's/splits. keepin it lean ftw

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

kumba posted:

i dig it

I'm kinda surprised you didn't give your thoughts on the new Polaris track.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Parachute posted:

more bands should just do ep's/splits. keepin it lean ftw
gently caress yeah!

Had to purchase my Alexisonfire/Moneen split twice because I wore it out. :rock:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

wandler20 posted:

I'm kinda surprised you didn't give your thoughts on the new Polaris track.

i definitely enjoyed it! i do however mostly want to reserve judgment until the album comes out. i don't think I want a whole album of tracks like that but if they go back and forth between that style and heavier stuff like Hypermania it's gonna be another real banger

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

kumba posted:

i definitely enjoyed it! i do however mostly want to reserve judgment until the album comes out. i don't think I want a whole album of tracks like that but if they go back and forth between that style and heavier stuff like Hypermania it's gonna be another real banger

I haven't heard Hypermania but it's had positive reactions from those that have so I agree with you, if they mix things up it's going to be really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

Wamsutta posted:

gently caress

Yeah man,,,

It's pretty pretty pretty good