Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
She reveals what's in the briefcase late in episode 3 and it loses a little impact when set against the grander backdrop of the collapse and the aurora:

The people in the city are sick/dying and the briefcase holds either the cure or something close to it. She has relatives/friends in the city and was developing the cure on the side using her lab's resources, she presumably made a breakthrough, ditched work and contacted her ex to get him to fly her out there.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I keep being tempted to go back to Unreal World and try living a more migratory life (once I get a pack animal) in a kota; trying to live off fishing and the like, rather than the safer method of my first game, where I hoarded copious amounts of smoked and dried meat.
Although, how feasible is it to live in a kota in winter? Since assuming I have it covered 100% in furs and maybe keep a fire smouldering inside, I should be OK, right? I suppose there's also the risk that something or someone could simply walk in and kill me, though. (Which was avoided with my log cabin last time, as I had concealed pit traps surrounding my yard fence and around my door)

Alternatively, what other good survival/small-scale building games are there, at the moment? I'm considering Kenshi too, although I'm not quite sure if that's exactly what I'm after.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
You don't even need a Kota in the winter if you have full fur clothing. If you sleep in a shelter you don't even need a fire unless it's really cold.

I like to play challenge games where I start with the hurt helpless and afraid scenario in winter and throw all my gear in the water at the start. I don't allow myself to fish as an added challenge. I use the crafting mod though, probably wouldn't be possible without it.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Yeah I wish they made shelter more important in Unreal. I guess you could just go in and mod down the thermal protection of all clothing but it would be cooler if there were rare but dangerous super-blizzards to deal with (maybe predicting/preventing it could tie into the magic system), especially to make the winter months more interesting.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hmm, fair enough. I might have to make it so that like, my legs aren't covered in fur or something, so that I at least get a LITTLE bit cold, while outside in winter. By the way, are animals allowed in kotas? Like, I'm going to aim to get a cow/bull eventually (preferably a cow, for the milk) to carry around my kota furs. But could I then assemble a kota and then bring the cow inside, to tie to one of the supports?
Also...how big can you actually make a kota? I assume 3x3 or something, but I'm sure I've seen 2x3 ones around the place. So could I build a large (say, 3x5 or something) kota to live in and store all my things?

EDIT: By the way, are there any mods that make it so that you can be a cannibal again? Since I know they patched that out ages ago, and now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind conducting guerrilla warfare against the njerpez, with me moving around with my kota eating whoever I kill. (Kind of like with a "now let's see how YOU like it!" mentality)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 4, 2019

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I decided to delve back into URW tonight, after all. I foolishly started on a harder start in order to get back into the swing of combat, where you're immediately under attack by thieves. Since as my main focus for this campaign (or 'campaigns', if need be) is to take the fight to the Njerps, I thought I'd go straight into the thick of it.

So anyway, instead of being confronted by 2-3 bandits like I thought would happen, I was attacked by SIX of them! Luckily I was able to stab the first one in the eye with my knife, before picking up his woodcutter's axe, shortbow and arrows. I then proceeded to shoot at the others, using a tree as cover. I had quite a bit of success (receiving only a grazing shot - but getting some good shots of my own in, like one-shotting a man to his eye), until one of them managed to hit me deep in my thigh. I then ran out out of arrows so I hefted my newfound axe and braced for their charge.

I was able to cut down three of the remaining five (non-fatally, though. They were all unconscious and mostly unable to walk, but occasionally one would awaken and crawl over to try and have a go at my legs with his knife) and I was faced with the one who shot me, as well as his unharmed mate, who had stayed back through most of the fighting. By this stage I was starting to notice my blood-loss, so I wanted to wrap this up quickly. So I charged the one who shot me earlier, and managed to land it on his thigh, cutting so deep it nearly came off. His friend's bravery wavered when he saw this, and he backed-off somewhat - presumably to see what would happen next from a safe distance, as he still had his bow.
Unfortunately for me however, it seemed like I had only managed to take out the chaff thus far, since this cripple proved to be the bane of my existence! I simply could not kill him - but he couldn't do much to me in hand-to-hand combat either. So I decided to leave him and instead put down his friend. So I ran at him, but noticed his bow - so I instead threw my big woodcutter's axe, which hit him square in the chest, knocking him out cold. (However it was the top of the head that hit him, so it only caused bruising and a minor fracture)
Annoyingly though, the cripple was still a good shot with his bow (and I later found out that after the duel earlier he STILL had over a dozen arrows left!) since he grazed my leg. So naturally I sprinted behind a tree and picked up a couple of arrows off the ground. I then threw my crude club at him, which was an excellent throw that hit him on the collarbone/neck. He was STILL fine, though! He took another shot, which thankfully missed. So I shot him with one of his own arrows, which tore open his abdomen. I then needed to frantically kick him eight times in the head, before he finally died. (Then naturally, I rushed over to finish off the others, before someone else decided to take me on) After all this, I was thankfully able to bandage myself up, not long before I would've passed out from blood loss.

Most of that blood's mine...

Oh, right after going to the world-map, I also saw an elk and its calf. So, while I was still worn-out from fighting, I snuck over to it and shot the elk in the eye, first go! After a brief pursuit it passed out and I've now got myself a shiny new (read: blood-slick) fine elk fur! I let the calf go though, since it seemed cruel to kill the baby. :( It'll probably die out on its own though, but oh well.
Should I sell the fur, by the way? Or should I use it for my future kota? I'm half tempted to sell it in exchange for more furs of a lower quality.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Major Isoor posted:

Well, I decided to delve back into URW tonight, after all. I foolishly started on a harder start in order to get back into the swing of combat, where you're immediately under attack by thieves. Since as my main focus for this campaign (or 'campaigns', if need be) is to take the fight to the Njerps, I thought I'd go straight into the thick of it.

So anyway, instead of being confronted by 2-3 bandits like I thought would happen, I was attacked by SIX of them! Luckily I was able to stab the first one in the eye with my knife, before picking up his woodcutter's axe, shortbow and arrows. I then proceeded to shoot at the others, using a tree as cover. I had quite a bit of success (receiving only a grazing shot - but getting some good shots of my own in, like one-shotting a man to his eye), until one of them managed to hit me deep in my thigh. I then ran out out of arrows so I hefted my newfound axe and braced for their charge.

I was able to cut down three of the remaining five (non-fatally, though. They were all unconscious and mostly unable to walk, but occasionally one would awaken and crawl over to try and have a go at my legs with his knife) and I was faced with the one who shot me, as well as his unharmed mate, who had stayed back through most of the fighting. By this stage I was starting to notice my blood-loss, so I wanted to wrap this up quickly. So I charged the one who shot me earlier, and managed to land it on his thigh, cutting so deep it nearly came off. His friend's bravery wavered when he saw this, and he backed-off somewhat - presumably to see what would happen next from a safe distance, as he still had his bow.
Unfortunately for me however, it seemed like I had only managed to take out the chaff thus far, since this cripple proved to be the bane of my existence! I simply could not kill him - but he couldn't do much to me in hand-to-hand combat either. So I decided to leave him and instead put down his friend. So I ran at him, but noticed his bow - so I instead threw my big woodcutter's axe, which hit him square in the chest, knocking him out cold. (However it was the top of the head that hit him, so it only caused bruising and a minor fracture)
Annoyingly though, the cripple was still a good shot with his bow (and I later found out that after the duel earlier he STILL had over a dozen arrows left!) since he grazed my leg. So naturally I sprinted behind a tree and picked up a couple of arrows off the ground. I then threw my crude club at him, which was an excellent throw that hit him on the collarbone/neck. He was STILL fine, though! He took another shot, which thankfully missed. So I shot him with one of his own arrows, which tore open his abdomen. I then needed to frantically kick him eight times in the head, before he finally died. (Then naturally, I rushed over to finish off the others, before someone else decided to take me on) After all this, I was thankfully able to bandage myself up, not long before I would've passed out from blood loss.

Most of that blood's mine...

Oh, right after going to the world-map, I also saw an elk and its calf. So, while I was still worn-out from fighting, I snuck over to it and shot the elk in the eye, first go! After a brief pursuit it passed out and I've now got myself a shiny new (read: blood-slick) fine elk fur! I let the calf go though, since it seemed cruel to kill the baby. :( It'll probably die out on its own though, but oh well.
Should I sell the fur, by the way? Or should I use it for my future kota? I'm half tempted to sell it in exchange for more furs of a lower quality.

God, after about 20 years I still love this game to death, precisely because it makes stories like this one. Version 3.60 is out on Steam, I think I'm going to download it tonight :)

BTW from 3.60 footwear will degrade from walking, and things made from furs will have better durability and protection if they're of good quality, so I'd keep that fine fur if I were you and maybe make some good boots and armor... you'll be getting plenty more normal and ragged furs anyway, not every arrow finds an elk's eye and sometimes you have to pincushion them :v:

(also with 6 humans' worth of loot you can trade for a lot of things, so you won't be lacking tools or other basic things and can spend more time hunting, I wouldn't get cheap furs but rather more arrows / a better bow)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 4, 2019

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I’ve always found arrows to be a nice lightweight “currency” to carry with me, especially since it has a secondary use.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TorakFade posted:

BTW from 3.60 footwear will degrade from walking, and things made from furs will have better durability and protection if they're of good quality, so I'd keep that fine fur if I were you and maybe make some good boots and armor... you'll be getting plenty more normal and ragged furs anyway, not every arrow finds an elk's eye and sometimes you have to pincushion them :v:

(also with 6 humans' worth of loot you can trade for a lot of things, so you won't be lacking tools or other basic things and can spend more time hunting, I wouldn't get cheap furs but rather more arrows / a better bow)

Oh, that's interesting - I wasn't aware of that! Alright, I'll use it as my bed for now then then I guess, until I need to use it for something.

Hmm, speaking of which do bows wear out, these days? I suppose that realistically the string should at least, unless you maintained it properly.
Also, wasn't there a way of training, pre-3.6? Can I still shoot a tree or corpse, to get xp in archery? Since despite shooting a man and an elk in the eye, my bow skills could definitely use some work!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I’ve always found arrows to be a nice lightweight “currency” to carry with me, especially since it has a secondary use.

Ah, I remember doing that too now, actually. I might need to sell like, 80lbs of this elk meat for some arrows and a shield or something. Since I'm thinking I might forget about javelins and use a bow now - but also that I'll use a round shield and a broad sword/short sword, seeing as I'm primarily going to be hunting men. But how quickly do shields degrade, with use? Should I be packing a second one with me, or? It'd be good if you could repair them, but I imagine that's not possible.

EDIT: I still can't believe that I survived all that, though! :D At first I was kicking myself for not running immediately after stabbing that first vagabond in the eye. I'm so surprised that I wasn't cut to ribbons.
But that being said, how likely is it that I'll suffer from infection? And my knowledge of herbs is non-existent, so I'm not sure what I can do aside from cleaning my wounds now and again.

By the way, how much meat should I be sacrificing to the spirits, generally-speaking? I've been quite fortunate so far, so I was thinking of offering like, 5-10lbs or something. No idea if that's too much or too little though, since my previous character didn't have any spells/sacrifice ability, so I never interacted with the spirits.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 5, 2019

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I managed to find a village and finished tanning my fine fur, then sold nearly all of my roasted elk meat. Amazingly enough, the village has absolutely everything that I'll need! A fine broadsword and a roundshield (I traded for both), as well as a fine longbow (which I'll get very soon), a punt and some cows. Can't believe my luck, really!
So yeah, after buying my sword and shield at the village, I set off east toward Njerpez territory. (As I started in the southern part of the region, in the eastern-most non-Njerpez culture's land) I then stumbled upon a Njerp and his dog. I got yet another lucky shot and got him right in the chest, killing him instantly! His dog rushed me though and caused me to drop both my shield and sword (not entirely sure why...I guess I was a bit tired) before I was able to give it a kick, which scared it off. I didn't pursue it though, since it's only a poor dog!

But well, now I've got some more gear to trade - plus some leather armour to use. (Just don't mind the new hole in the middle!) :D That brings my kill-count to seven - although only one of those being a Njerp. I think I might find a location to start on my kota, then go back to the village for some nets and that fine longbow.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Major Isoor posted:

Well, I managed to find a village and finished tanning my fine fur, then sold nearly all of my roasted elk meat. Amazingly enough, the village has absolutely everything that I'll need! A fine broadsword and a roundshield (I traded for both), as well as a fine longbow (which I'll get very soon), a punt and some cows. Can't believe my luck, really!
So yeah, after buying my sword and shield at the village, I set off east toward Njerpez territory. (As I started in the southern part of the region, in the eastern-most non-Njerpez culture's land) I then stumbled upon a Njerp and his dog. I got yet another lucky shot and got him right in the chest, killing him instantly! His dog rushed me though and caused me to drop both my shield and sword (not entirely sure why...I guess I was a bit tired) before I was able to give it a kick, which scared it off. I didn't pursue it though, since it's only a poor dog!

But well, now I've got some more gear to trade - plus some leather armour to use. (Just don't mind the new hole in the middle!) :D That brings my kill-count to seven - although only one of those being a Njerp. I think I might find a location to start on my kota, then go back to the village for some nets and that fine longbow.

I have a very old, well established character with every possible weapon, armor, tool, a nice cabin with bed and fireplace, multiple cellars full of veggies and dried/smoked meat and fences with animals ... and now the only fun left in the game, besides seeing time pass by, cooking stews and picking up flowers, is going Njerpez hunting

but I think I depopulated my immediate area; that character lives, just like yours, at the border between Njerpez and "normal" territory (Kiesselainen?) in the south-east and now I don't meet people anymore, I spent 3 days just walking around looking for Njerpez to kill but nothing :( I could go on a Njerpez village raid, especially now with the new companion system, but eeeeeh I prefer the "lone wolf, hide and stalk your victim" thing rather than "full on frontal attack on 10 Njerpez guys", and I really don't need any more armors and weapons :D

Gimme some of your luck with bows, yesterday it took me 15 arrows to kill one (1) damned forest reindeer between grazes and misses. And I have 90% skill and a fine longbow.

I think I have to restart a new character though, the ones that are early-to-mid-game don't have enough fun stuff, the one which is end-game is too end-game. Starting fresh can always be fun even though I will miss my proper weapons and tools (especially tools, the difference in chopping down a few trees between a masterwork/fine woodman's axe and a normal handaxe is tremendous)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 5, 2019

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

So I'm now thoroughly addicted to URW due to the last few comments. Thanks guys.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

NeuralSpark posted:

So I'm now thoroughly addicted to URW due to the last few comments. Thanks guys.

:tipshat:

It's a game that deserves to be played. Get into mods too! It's fun to have lots of recipes and stuff.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I want to play it, but jesus is it impossible to learn.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

ShootaBoy posted:

I followed this: https://www.unrealworld.fi/wiki/index.php?title=New_Player_Guide

So far learning and remembering all of the keys has been the hardest part.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ShootaBoy posted:

Yeah, I bounced super hard off it before. It's probably right up there with Dwarf Fortress with its menus-within-menus-within-menus type learning curve.

These stories do always make me want to try again though.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TorakFade posted:

I have a very old, well established character with every possible weapon, armor, tool, a nice cabin with bed and fireplace, multiple cellars full of veggies and dried/smoked meat and fences with animals ... and now the only fun left in the game, besides seeing time pass by, cooking stews and picking up flowers, is going Njerpez hunting

but I think I depopulated my immediate area; that character lives, just like yours, at the border between Njerpez and "normal" territory (Kiesselainen?) in the south-east and now I don't meet people anymore, I spent 3 days just walking around looking for Njerpez to kill but nothing :( I could go on a Njerpez village raid, especially now with the new companion system, but eeeeeh I prefer the "lone wolf, hide and stalk your victim" thing rather than "full on frontal attack on 10 Njerpez guys", and I really don't need any more armors and weapons :D

Oh, for me at least, it's the Reemiläiset people - I can never remember their name, aside from that it starts with "R". Interesting to hear that you can depopulate the Njerpez though! Looks like I CAN achieve an end-game "win" this playthrough, after all. (assuming I live long enough, anyway! Which...I won't :v: )

What's the companion system, by the way? Is that where you give villagers food, then they follow you and take orders, for a few days? Since that's an interesting point - before I raid a Njerpez village, I might recruit some and give them scavenged weapons, then use them to help me take out the Njerps. (Read: Distract the Njerps and die, while I do the real killing)
Actually, that's given me an idea...how far does sound travel, when it comes to digging? (If it does at all, anyway) Since I'm wondering if it might be an idea to dig a few holes in a line, fill them with stakes and cover it up with leaves...then rest up, approach the Njerp village, shoot a guy or two, then sprint back behind the trench with the Njerps in tow. Since they're not very smart, aren't they? So hopefully one or two will fall into the pit traps while I take shots at the others.

TorakFade posted:

Gimme some of your luck with bows, yesterday it took me 15 arrows to kill one (1) damned forest reindeer between grazes and misses. And I have 90% skill and a fine longbow.

hahaha the funny thing is, I didn't even consider putting a skill boost into archery, when I created the character! (Since I thought I'd use javelins, like last time) So my archery skill is only like, 26-27%! :D I've definitely made a few sacrifices after making those amazing shots, though. But drat - although I have missed with a few arrows (all during that first fight, against six guys. None of the arrows went far though, so they were recoverable), I've still had fantastic luck.
The fact that I eye-shot that elk also reminded me that I got an eye-shot on a bear with my first javelin, in my first big playthrough ages ago! Seems like I have a lot of luck, when it comes to projectiles. 15 misses, though? drat! I hope you recovered those arrows

ShootaBoy posted:

I dunno, I actually found it to be deceptively easy to learn, to be honest. And that's coming from someone who really doesn't like obtuse old-game control schemes and Dwarf Fortress-esque menus-within-menus.
Granted, I DO keep the wiki open just so I can quickly look up info that I've forgotten (I think I last played URW like, two years ago) but that's unnecessary really, since the game contains a very good encyclopedia as-is - not to mention the tutorials. Plus the vast majority of what you can do is in the "skills" menu ("s"), although you can get to specific options with other shift+key combos too, if you can remember them.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Did they ever fix that bug feature where you could just shove villagers into a stake pit and take their stuff with impunity? I enjoyed that.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
By the way...seeing as I'm planning on having living in a kota in one spot for the long-term*, I just remembered reading that if you build your kota in a forest you can effectively use trees as part of the outer walls/sides, so you don't need to cover it up as much. What I'm wondering though, is would I be able to use a log wall, for part of the exterior of my kota?
Specifically, the outer wall of a smoking hut. Since as I'm planning on living on a hill (for good visibility) for maybe a year -possibly returning later on, even- I figure it'll be worth the investment to build a tiny smoking hut and cellar, so that I can preserve the meat I obtain.

Also, random question...how far is one tile on the world map? Is it 1x1 kilometres, or is it more/less? (Also, I like it how these iron age Finns are using the metric system. Take that, America - you really are behind the times! :v: haha)

* Well, probably 6-12 months or so. I want to be between the Njerps and that great village I found earlier, so I can go between the two with ease. But eventually I might move further east to attack distant Njerpez villages, or perhaps north.

EDIT: Hah, you won't believe it, but after I found and killed another Njerpez warrior and his dog (seems like NPC pets are heaps common now! I don't recall seeing dogs with Njerps last game) I found a second elk...then, when trying to shoot it in the flank, I hit it in the LEFT eye, this time! I couldn't believe it - I had to double-take when I saw the notification, hahaha :D (I reckon it's actually run a couple of kilometres now, unlike the last one. I had to stop playing, but I had chased it for a couple of tiles through the woods, while the poor thing was bleeding everywhere)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 6, 2019

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

If you haven't played URW and you like survival games, you NEED to. It only takes about an hour to get a handle of the learning curve (controls, mostly, if you aren't used to that style). The emergent game play is amazing. I sadly usually only die when I get comfortable and want to leave my homestead and gently caress poo poo up.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'd play URW again if it allowed me to save whenever I wanted. I hate the permanent death system. Some people live for that, and I agree it definitely makes the game more tense and meaningful, but boy does it suck when you die to bullshit. I very quickly burn out when I have to keep going through the same motions, or I end up doing entirely different things on a new playthrough and die just when I'm about to make it in life.

Same reason I quit with Don't Starve, I just couldn't stand the permanent death feature that is forced on everyone with no say in the matter.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Qubee posted:

I'd play URW again if it allowed me to save whenever I wanted. I hate the permanent death system. Some people live for that, and I agree it definitely makes the game more tense and meaningful, but boy does it suck when you die to bullshit. I very quickly burn out when I have to keep going through the same motions, or I end up doing entirely different things on a new playthrough and die just when I'm about to make it in life.

Same reason I quit with Don't Starve, I just couldn't stand the permanent death feature that is forced on everyone with no say in the matter.

But the whole point of survival simulators is to die.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

We're all different and some people love the thrill of knowing they've only got one shot at it, but I'm sure I'm not alone when I say being given the choice would be nice.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Qubee posted:

We're all different and some people love the thrill of knowing they've only got one shot at it, but I'm sure I'm not alone when I say being given the choice would be nice.

No, I don't mean its a thrill to know you only have one shot. I mean you are supposed to die and start over again. Starting over is the best part. These games are not meant to be played long-term like sim city. Once you get yourself well set up there isn't much gameplay remaining, the only thing left to do is die in an interesting way.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Rutibex posted:

But the whole point of survival simulators is to die.

No, other players that aren't me are the ones that die. I want to feel smarter than the game.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I know it's been mentioned in this thread already, but I'll use UnReal World as a tangent to recommend Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Cataclysm is a pretty difficult game to get a handle on for a number of reasons but anyone who's played UnReal World will probably find a lot they recognize immediately in terms of things like context-based action menus, line of sight, crafting and long-session actions, and so on.
It has its flaws and while I personally love it I'll say up-front that some people will bounce right off of it, and there's nothing wrong with that. Like some of the stories of UnReal World here, I initially couldn't get into it but I stuck with it until one day everything just clicked into place, now I come back to it regularly. I'm not sure I'd go as far as to call it "post-apocalyptic UnReal World" but it clearly drew a lot of inspiration from it, especially in terms of base building and construction, crafting, travel, even locational wounds and injuries. If you can get over the common roguelike hurdles of dealing with its interface and difficulty, it'll keep your attention for a long time.

Qubee posted:

Honestly agree, permadeath is obnoxious for me in any game with normal runs that last longer than one of Noita's.

Rutibex posted:

No, I don't mean its a thrill to know you only have one shot. I mean you are supposed to die and start over again. Starting over is the best part. These games are not meant to be played long-term like sim city. Once you get yourself well set up there isn't much gameplay remaining, the only thing left to do is die in an interesting way.
I like starting over in some games. But generally, at my own discretion. In games where I can play a single character for 10+ hours, I'd rather start over when I'm ready to than when I make a single misstep and inescapably end the run I've been playing for the last two weeks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah i'm the same, if i've got a game where i can have multiple saves i'll always take it because i would like to play the game rather than play the beginning over and over again.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Ironman mode should be optional.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Qubee posted:

You can, sort of - just alt+tab out of the game, go to the game folder, and copy the folder named like your character in a safe location (you can do it even when you're already under attack, or even already dead, as long as you don't press ENTER or whatever at the last prompt it doesn't save and you'll have a "gamestate" of like 1 to 5 minutes earlier generally). You can also keep multiple saves/backups. When you die or want to go back to an earlier save, just delete the "CharacterName" folder in the game directory, then copy over the folder you put aside back in the game's directory (keeping the same name, so if you change them to add dates or whatever, just change it back to CharacterName). If that's not too much of a PITA for you, there's your save/load system :) if anyone's on the fence due to permadeath, try this out...

ShootaBoy posted:

NeuralSpark posted:

I followed this: https://www.unrealworld.fi/wiki/index.php?title=New_Player_Guide

So far learning and remembering all of the keys has been the hardest part.

Yeah for those of us who were gaming in the DOS era this is not a big issue, but I can see how it can be a loving pain in this day and age to learn a "fully keyboard" control system. Worth going through it though...

Major Isoor posted:

What's the companion system, by the way? Is that where you give villagers food, then they follow you and take orders, for a few days? Since that's an interesting point - before I raid a Njerpez village, I might recruit some and give them scavenged weapons, then use them to help me take out the Njerps. (Read: Distract the Njerps and die, while I do the real killing)

I don't have all the new details down yet, but it's what you say - ask people to go on adventures with you, they will help you doing whatever tasks you want to do (you can recruit people to help, or for adventure, I think that if you hire them for help they won't like to go fighting, and the other way round for adventuring)

Now they will hunt, skin carcasses, cook meat, and do a whole lot more things than before, used to be you could only tell them to chop trees and follow / stop. They've always been very useful, togheter with dogs, to attack villages or groups of Njerpez to even out the odds as you correctly think :D

Major Isoor posted:

Actually, that's given me an idea...how far does sound travel, when it comes to digging? (If it does at all, anyway) Since I'm wondering if it might be an idea to dig a few holes in a line, fill them with stakes and cover it up with leaves...then rest up, approach the Njerp village, shoot a guy or two, then sprint back behind the trench with the Njerps in tow. Since they're not very smart, aren't they? So hopefully one or two will fall into the pit traps while I take shots at the others.

I think that's a good idea, I believe player sounds do not affect NPCs in that way? I know that you can hear enemies and animals moving around and doing stuff, but I don't think they'll hear you digging a lot of big holes 20 meters from their house :v: try and let us know!

Major Isoor posted:

The fact that I eye-shot that elk also reminded me that I got an eye-shot on a bear with my first javelin, in my first big playthrough ages ago! Seems like I have a lot of luck, when it comes to projectiles. 15 misses, though? drat! I hope you recovered those arrows

Yeah that's a ton of luck :) also I have noticeable bad luck with ranged attacks. My battleaxe is every Njerpez's worst nightmare, though. (Yes I recovered like 10 out of 15, but doesn't really matter, I have a pile of 100+ arrows at home plus many hundreds of feathers, twigs and stones to make more)

Major Isoor posted:

Also, random question...how far is one tile on the world map? Is it 1x1 kilometres, or is it more/less? (Also, I like it how these iron age Finns are using the metric system. Take that, America - you really are behind the times! :v: haha)

EDIT: Hah, you won't believe it, but after I found and killed another Njerpez warrior and his dog (seems like NPC pets are heaps common now! I don't recall seeing dogs with Njerps last game) I found a second elk...then, when trying to shoot it in the flank, I hit it in the LEFT eye, this time! I couldn't believe it - I had to double-take when I saw the notification, hahaha :D (I reckon it's actually run a couple of kilometres now, unlike the last one. I had to stop playing, but I had chased it for a couple of tiles through the woods, while the poor thing was bleeding everywhere)

No idea about kotas, sorry, never used them :( also I kind of don't want to help you, you keep scoring eye shots, you have more than enough luck already :mad: 1 tile is 100 meters in the "world" map and 2 meters in local map, you can see it below the main window, under the date

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 6, 2019

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
I definitely recommend folks play and try URW, but I'm not sure I'll ever go back to it.

I think there's just too much time investment - at least as a newISH player - to how quickly and utterly you die.

What really killed the game for me was building a house. That process was an absolutely stupid number of individual actions and 'grind'. I was laying in bed while sick and I think it took me literal IRL hours of repetitive actions despite the game being relatively 'instantaneous' actions and turns.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Well la dee da, look at Mr I Built A House. The most I ever managed before succumbing to the inevitable cold clutches of death was a basement to store my food in that I'd never use because a bear mauled me to death. That and a few walls. And then death.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

How shocking a goon living in a basement.

I always die really early on because I have to gently caress with wild animals and fight bears with knives even though I know I'm going to die.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 7, 2019

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TorakFade posted:

I think that's a good idea, I believe player sounds do not affect NPCs in that way? I know that you can hear enemies and animals moving around and doing stuff, but I don't think they'll hear you digging a lot of big holes 20 meters from their house :v: try and let us know!

haha yeah, will do! :D I'll up-skill myself in combat first, so that I can (hopefully) deal with multiple Njerps at once, then I'll give it a go.

Speaking of progress towards finding the Njerpez, I'm not in a bad spot at the moment, although clearly I'm not as far east as I thought I was! Since while I was searching for a site for my home camp, I stumbled upon a cluster of four Reemi villages that are all within ~2km of one another - so clearly I'm still within their heartland, despite my initial thoughts! One actually has a sage though, which is the first one I've ever encountered. (He's pretty poo poo though; all he did to treat my wound was to clean it, which I had been doing myself in the past...)

TorakFade posted:

No idea about kotas, sorry, never used them :( also I kind of don't want to help you, you keep scoring eye shots, you have more than enough luck already :mad: 1 tile is 100 meters in the "world" map and 2 meters in local map, you can see it below the main window, under the date

hahaha yeah, don't worry though - I'm certain that after all this good luck, I'll die in a stupid and humiliating way! :D (Or due to an infection or something, from that arrow wound I took on day one...)

Fayk posted:

I definitely recommend folks play and try URW, but I'm not sure I'll ever go back to it.

I think there's just too much time investment - at least as a newISH player - to how quickly and utterly you die.

What really killed the game for me was building a house. That process was an absolutely stupid number of individual actions and 'grind'. I was laying in bed while sick and I think it took me literal IRL hours of repetitive actions despite the game being relatively 'instantaneous' actions and turns.

Oh yeah, building a house can take forever - it took me ages in my first game. That being said, once you get a smoking hut built, you can really just wait until winter hits. Since then you'll really be wanting things to do around your homestead - so it's a good opportunity to build your cabin, I think. (I mean, I got so desperate for things to do in my game, that I built a little cow shed and a boat shed...)
But that being said, you could always find an isolated cabin and kill the owner, if you're feeling particularly merciless. That or go on a raid into Njerpez territory and seize one of their villages! :D (Which is what I fully intend on doing...right before looting it and burning it to the ground)

That's part of the reason why I'm going to just build a kota this time around, seeing as it's (more-or-less) transportable and I don't really need much to make it functional - just a few furs to make part of the roof to sleep under, then I can simply cover up the rest as I accumulate more furs.

By the way, seeing as I'm not actually going to migrate with my kota (at least, not on a seasonal basis. I might temporarily move further east after like, a year, if I survive that long and need to find more Njerpez to kill) I've started thinking about creating more of a hybrid/semi-permanent home. As in, it'll be a kota, but I'll have a couple of external walls be built with logs. (Partly to save on furs, as well as partly due to the thematic aspect. Since even if I temporarily move away, I'll only take the furs - I'll leave the kota frame+walls there, so that I can easily put the furs back on and move in, after returning)

What I want to know though, is will that actually work properly? Since I know that URW log walls get a bit funky in how they work, sometimes. Since if I do say, the east and south walls of the kota as logs, will it just kinda be...oddly disconnected from the 'kota-proper'? Since if there's a big grassy gap between the wall and the interior, and, spirits forbid, weather can get in, then I don't think I'll bother.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Qubee posted:

Well la dee da, look at Mr I Built A House. The most I ever managed before succumbing to the inevitable cold clutches of death was a basement to store my food in that I'd never use because a bear mauled me to death. That and a few walls. And then death.

Maybe next time you will remember to appease the forest spirits properly and they won’t send a bear to ruin your day. :colbert:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Fayk posted:

When I finally did build a house I lost all motivation to keep playing. I had my end goal and was more or less set for life.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
It really is a shame that most roguelikes end like that and they should get inspired by anime like Gurren Lagann where instead of ending where it looked it will end it goes on, but better and bigger. Change the rules so that having built a house is not the end game but a sign that the world is now different, maybe more dangerous and it's the new starting point now. Yeah, it sounds dumb. But I'm only half joking.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That kind of gameplay shift is probably pretty hard to do, and lots of roguelikes are small passion-projects.

Especially ones like URW.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

I found a second elk...then, when trying to shoot it in the flank, I hit it in the LEFT eye, this time! I couldn't believe it - I had to double-take when I saw the notification, hahaha :D (I reckon it's actually run a couple of kilometres now, unlike the last one. I had to stop playing, but I had chased it for a couple of tiles through the woods, while the poor thing was bleeding everywhere)

So, last night I caught up to this elk (elk #2 of the game, that is. Also eye-shot #2 of the game! :v: ) and killed it after seriously wounding one of its forelegs with an arrow. I thankfully got another fine fur from it (I thought it would only be regular as it has a couple of holes, so I'm happy!), however I'm now unable to move at all, if I attempt to carry all its meat. So what I'm wondering is, will there actually be any benefit to me sacrificing 50-100lbs of elk meat, compared to just sacrificing one piece? :D

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Only the Forest Spirits know that. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Only the Forest Spirits know that. Sorry.

Alright well, I might have to just give it a go and see how it pans out.
I mean, I want the spirits to like me, but I don't want them to think I'm simply brown-nosing. :ohdear: