Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm incredibly late to the Dead Cells train and I usually hate metroidvanias but drat this game is great (and on Xbox Game Pass so I'm playing it for free since I beat The Outer Worlds in way less than the free month I got etc)

The settings explicitly say they recommend a controller - would it be that much better on Switch?

You can use a controller on your computer... I am sure it's fine on Switch but it wouldn't be better for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Looks like Monolith's expansion got a release date. As a nut who loved Monolith I'm really pumped (even though it's going to be a long wait :negative:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKvLgZto66U

Monolith is also on sale for 3.99 during the halloween sale. There's really no game quite like it -- it feels like Cave Story with a splash of Nuclear Throne.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As someone who quite liked Monolith but couldn't hack it on Hard, I hope this isn't one of those expansions that caters specifically to the pro-tier gamers.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cinara posted:

You can use a controller on your computer... I am sure it's fine on Switch but it wouldn't be better for sure.
I could, theoretically, go find my old wired 360 controller. But I'm lazy.

(also it seems like speedrunning would be great if I was good at it, cause you get a free item from the doors, I assume that's just better in general than taking forever and chip damage to find one or two more powerups?)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

RoboCicero posted:

Looks like Monolith's expansion got a release date. As a nut who loved Monolith I'm really pumped (even though it's going to be a long wait :negative:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKvLgZto66U

Monolith is also on sale for 3.99 during the halloween sale. There's really no game quite like it -- it feels like Cave Story with a splash of Nuclear Throne.

very excited. Monolith is the only one of these I really liked

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I am a huge fan of Monolith, I think largely because it's such a short but tight experience. Looking at my Steam time for it I only played it for 6 hours, but seeing as the game is only $8 that's fine with me. But all 6 of those hours were excellent, nothing felt like it was dragging or grindy or just there for padding. I didn't 100% the game but I was able to beat it on hard, tried the super hard lethality modes and decided that wasn't gonna happen.

Very much looking forward to more Monolith and will be on that day 1.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Monolith is the only good roguelite now that Nuclear Throne got rid of dailies. I haven't beat it yet because I'm weak but it's my go to game if I have ten minutes to kill

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

reminded by that trailer how great it is that every room is just a single screen

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

I just cleared 150 and I feel like this one is off to a good start. I ignored the smithing advice and skipping 150 but I'm pumping combat stats and got lucky with my armour set drops I think.

The spears are pretty nifty, but the big thing is my longsword that while not the perfect weight, has a bonus to accuracy, dex, and damage side. Which seems randomly huge considering how stingy the game is with magic items early compared to other roguelikes.

We'll see if I manage to pilot this one into midgame. I wanna hit 600'.

Could use a bow. Oh yeah, this is Sil not Sil-Q. I just download it from the 'mirror something' site.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Skip 250, not 150 ;p
That longsword is hella baller for an early drop, treasure it forever (or until you splat). And a free shovel? Nice.

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

What’s a good goal to try for in Cataclysm? Once i tooled around in the menus for a bit and started understanding crafting, i inevitably get killed by hubris.

Am i looking to hole up in a “base” of sorts or should i be on the move? Am i looking for any place in particular? I know half the fun of sandbox games is “do whatever” but I think i just don’t understand the scope of “whatever”. Any tips for a mid to long term goal to focus on would be great

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
My usual win condition is crafting a spike-festooned Mad Max deathbus and running over a Hulk.

Subgoals in service to this include:

- Claiming a stable base of operations, and clearing the zombies around it so that you can work there in peace. Good bases include fire stations, houses with a garage, etc.
- Stockpiling food and temperature-appropriate clothing so that you can craft for a while without needing to head out to maintain your survival.
- Raising your necessary crafting skills so that you can manufacture the deathbus, probably by looting books but possibly by gathering enough materials to work your way up by practice.
- Finding or crafting the necessary tools: I like to go for a solar-powered pullcart with a vehicle welding rig, but a welder and a shitload of batteries will also work.
- Obtain quality attire to wear during the inaugural drive: Tuxedo, Aviator sunglasses, cigar, cowboy hat, wedding dress, etc are all acceptable.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

What's the best version of Cataclysm to play? As I understand it the devs make it more bloated with each release, which version is it that's the optimal balance of crazy poo poo but also not a pain in the rear end to play?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's certainly true that they add some weird annoying poo poo, but the newest version is still the best. The main two stupid changes are nutrition (which you can turn off, and should) and liquids freezing (I don't know if you can turn this off, but I definitely will if I find a way to). Some people hate filthy clothes, but it doesn't bother me; you can turn that off, too, regardless.

Now, I haven't played with the new way hunger works, since that's only a few weeks old. So I guess this advice is only current as of a few months ago. But 0.D stable (the latest stable release, released this summer) is fine.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, recent stable build should be fine; I think I'm personally just a couple of experimental builds beyond that, and everything's great as long as you turn off having to manage vitamins. It's bad enough trying to juggle caloric intake with the game insisting that my character is constantly underweight while literally chugging protein shakes until they're sick, meaning I have to periodically tank my health value by gorging on cake and candy for several days straight in order to keep weight in line, I'm not sure I'd trust their take on vitamin balance. I don't mind liquids freezing, so much, but it's definitely something to plan around. As usual, the easiest answer is often fire.

As for goals, there's basically two broad approaches to the game. The first method is to play it as a proper roguelike: without any endgame states yet, you either need to mod one in (a few tentative attempts at doing this do exist, though I can't vouch for any of them yet myself), or just set a goal of finding, exploring, or exploiting some new thing each run. Have you tried a magic mod character yet? Have you raided a research facility? Have you ever broken into a lab without an ID? Have you ever broken out of a lab from start? Have you ever made a custom vehicle from scratch? Have you ever burned down literally an entire city? Have you ever had a 10k power kung-fu cyborg? Have you ever completed a mutation line? Have you ever tried playing with hordes on (which I don't recommend, but it's worth doing once for a laugh)? Have you ever figured out what's up with the fungus? Have you ever survived a year in the woods without ever entering the city? Have you ever cleared a strange temple? Have you ever built a house from scratch? How many zombies can you take on at once with a flamethrower? A machine gun? How big an explosion chain can you build? Can you survive setting it off? How long can you survive as a malfunctioning cyborg? As a Chimera? How many towns can you survive blitzing through in a deathmobile?

The second method is to savescum to do as many of the above as possible with all the broken mods turned so you can build towards 20+ stats and maxed-out skills and become mutant cyborg wasteland royalty. You will still absolutely die to .50 caliber rounds and acid hordes, perhaps frequently, depending on your level of hubris

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 1, 2019

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I've survived a malfunctioning cyborg lab start. It's pretty easy with the tentacle legs mutation, since it makes you perfectly silent despite having the squeaky ankles bionic. Despite the movement speed penalty for being a squid, you're still faster than most stuff if you sprint, so you can take fleet footed and night vision and just sprint away from every enemy perfectly silently, and since the lab is always dark they won't be able to find you even if you're only 3 tiles away. Just beeline down to the finale room, grab the science keycard, and then smash a bed or wardrobe and craft a hundred throwing sticks by the light of a computer terminal to kill the entrance turret and open the front door. Once your throwing reaches skill level 2 you'll start to do damage to it pretty regularly. Alternately start with enough trap skill that you can disarm a teleporter trap and just warp out. Craft or steal some warm clothes before you leave, or else start in summer.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Cataclysm is definitely a "two steps forward, one step back" kind of experience. Kevin Granade is an ultragrog and has difficulty comprehending that no, most people do not think that a nuanced simulation of every vitamin from A to B13 is more important than finally implementing a proper loving endgame, but by and large, it's getting better more than it's getting worse.

If you want some goals, there are a few:
- Build a tricked-out Deathmobile that can smash through a house without stopping.
- Explore a lab to the bottom and check out the special room
- Find an artifact
- Conquer and fortify a prison.
- Play with NPCs and try to find the refugee center
- Amass a library of every recipe book in the game
- Learn every martial art
- Become a cyborg
- Become a serum mutant
- Find and finish a mine finale
- Find and finish a Temple finale

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 2, 2019

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
How is the iOS version of C:DDA? I picked it up but haven't really tried it yet.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's realism, guys! I mean, come on, who ever heard of a human consuming food or drinks that are frozen? Don't be silly.

Next you're going to tell me you can use a towel to dry yourself off several times without letting it dry for three days in between.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Apparently I was wrong and Nuclear Throne dailies are back so I retract my earlier statement.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I decided to try nowhere prophet again since it got new content and it finally clicked for me. Unlike most card games higher rarities are explicitly better so the trick is that it's ok to be loose with the vanilla commons you have, just focus your equipment and deck towards a handful of cards.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
A Wild Zaimoni Appears from such prior mysterious manifestations as Rogue Survivor Revived to spice up the Cataclysm mix:

https://github.com/zaimoni/Cataclysm

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The gap between 0 and 1 Boss Cells in Dead Cells is loving insane. Everything hits like trucks and everything has new attacks and there are new enemies and you only get one potion charge per area... am I doing something wrong? Should I stay on 0 to at least farm up the cells for more potion charges?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The only thing you'd really want (to grind for before going) for 1+ cells is a fully upgraded potion capacity. Dead cells advancement is a terribly steep curve of "git gud" where the dev is really emphasizing that he doesn't want the player to take ANY hits. When starting a new difficulty, the hardest level is the Prison Cells as you start with 100hp and everything hits so drat hard. Difficulty returns to sanity once you get a few scrolls and get halfway through Promenade of the Damned. Notable exception to this is having ++ items unlocked to begin with, which needs a shitton of grind and isn't worth waiting for.

During alpha I completed a 3-cells run and called the game done. Came back to it to see the new tweaks (all good) but have lost my old save file. No worries, started new one, but I've hit a roadblock at 2 cells as I had to grind to get all these drat upgrades such as potion capacity and 100% + on item quality etc and I'm just not good enough to do without. People on the Internet saying there's no grind can go eat a bag of dicks, new save files suck.

Fwiw, at 1 Boss cell you only get a single-charge potion apx every other level. You get like ~3 full recharges over the course of the run, in addition to the single-charges.

vvvvv edit: I may have been ambigious. You get (iirc) a single charge at the end of Prison Cells, then a full refill at the end of Prominate, and so forth alternating. Its bearable. But also I don't begrudge anyone claiming their well-earned Win after the initial 0 cell run, gratz.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 3, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Serephina posted:

Fwiw, at 1 Boss cell you only get a single-charge potion apx every other level. You get like ~3 full recharges over the course of the run, in addition to the single-charges.
...what. That's not... there are like five Boss Cells! Spread the loving difficulty curve out! Honestly, I'm just gonna drop the game instead of bothering to :gitgud: to that level.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Yeah, the spike from 0BC to 1BC is pretty mean, it's not just you. A lot of people have complained that the jump is too big and there ought to be an "in-between" difficulty level.

Enemies don't have new attacks, but the new Knife Thrower is a jerk and generally considered one of the more dangerous enemies in the game (even by the standards of later difficulties), because unlike most other enemies in the first level (zombies, grenadiers, shield guys, archers) you need to both pay attention to their attack timing *and* their location in order to deal with them. You get used to spotting them as time goes on (guessing what platforms they'll be on, seeing them shove other enemies around as they move past them, seeing their moving outlines), but they're still designed to be annoying. Generally my favorite ways of dealing with them are, in order:

1. Utterly destroy them with skills, deployables, Homunculus Rune, down-smash + melee, etc. before they can do anything
2. Use ranged attacks to hit them from a long distance, since their knives are only about a half-screen in range
3. Parry all three of their knives back at them (parrying the first resets your parry cooldown so you can just spam the parry button after the first succeeds)
4. Jump towards them to misdirect their knives upward, then try to get as close as possible to them before rolling so your roll makes it all the way to the other side of them

For 1BC, it's also probably a good idea to unlock as many strong mutations as you can so you can start using them to get through the game. Open Wounds to get +60% damage with a relevant affix on a melee weapon, Spite/Counterattack to get the most out of your parries, and Parting Gift are all strong mutations that have to be found and unlocked. Any kind of health regenerating mutation (Necromancy, What Doesn't Kill Me, Gastronomy, Frenzy, Adrenaline) is also extremely solid.

The rest is just practice, using the skills/deployables constantly, and making sure you retreat to safe ground instead of going farther into the level and getting overwhelmed.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Honestly, part of the trouble is that the game feels geared to not be about not taking damage. And sure, that's just the way my scrub self played it on 0BC and the time-locked doors existing, but the health/damage feel tuned to "eh, you can take a hit here and there" and the bosses seem like I'll literally never not get hit. And I know that's not true! It's never true. But it feels true.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Big synthetik update today

https://steamcommunity.com/ogg/528230/announcements/detail/1669073576548644018

quote:

TLDR: We are updating damage types to fit our new technology ruleset.
This means some damage types change, most a little, some more.

After years of development, post-launch updates and thinking about the future of the underlying designs and ideas, an ever more optimal ruleset is crystalizing. What once started with “A plasma weapon would be nice” now turns into more and more strongly defined technologies, and will be kept and updated like a Pen&Paper rulebook for the Synthetik Universe.

After reflecting on the future of the Universe, it is now becoming very clear what Laser, Fusion, Plasma, Ballistic, Psyonic, Curse and the other types will become. Like a deep Spider web of connections, tons of factors (which Factions use which Tech, to Class associations, Logical behaviour, Player expectations, Physics, even down to colors and faction color schemes, planning for two games in advance) influence and dictate what which tech should and shouldn’t do. Over time the “Puzzle” becomes more and more complete, revealing the most optimal design, and also show how some current designs clash with new revelations.

You will see much more complex interactions and synergies / counters in the future of the Universe, which will also keep things logical and consistent visually, design and in the world, but today we try to update the content of Synthetik to be close to these ideas.

it...uh...ok

quote:

• As Shields logically absorb shots mid-air, headshots and critical area hits are illogical

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I read all of those patch notes and my eyes glazed over. Then I played the game and it felt about the same as always. Click heads until they die or you do.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Big synthetik update today
It's going to become the most logical, I for one am excited

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
About 9 years since the last good stab on it from the dev, but a spiffier Windows port of Omega has become a thing:

https://www.prankster.com/wp/winomega/

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Boss cell 1 isnt actually very hard on dead cells IF you figure out how the devs apparently wants the player to play (pick up every scroll and stack a stat, preferably survival). If you miss any scrolls you lose the game.

timed doors are trash. forget they exist outside of farming runs.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Timed doors no longer drop scrolls afaik, just (eg) ~20 cells, a dash of gold, and a choice of an item. It's fun to aim for them when playing on a lower difficulty but I don't think they're intended for serious runs anymore.

I do think the whole 'pick a stat and run with it' thing is blazingly obvious when you're still learning the game, no secret to that.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
It used to be that the first two contained gold and cells, later ones had scrolls. You could usually hit 3 & 4 without too much trouble while getting all the scrolls in the levels.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Serephina posted:

I do think the whole 'pick a stat and run with it' thing is blazingly obvious when you're still learning the game, no secret to that.

It really isn't; as you stack more scrolls on the same stat you get diminishing returns (at least according to the screen when you pick them up), so it's not at all clear whether it's best to go all in on one stat and hope you get a full spread of equipment in that colour, or spread your scrolls around to get the highest total stats and have at least basic competence in anything you find.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I agree it's not clear at first. But in truth, its much better to stack a stat because then you can kill enemies before they get to attack you and you cant get owned so hard by a few enemies at once. (you only have to do it once with a green or red build to realize how much better it is)

There's a lot of outdated DC advice online which makes it all a bit more confusing. I think the first google hit for Dead Cells advice tells players to not pick up scrolls.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 4, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The awkward part (for me as the new player involved, I mean) is that it's very transparent about the HP gains you'll get from each stat, but the constant "15% to damage" reads like a smaller number than "wow you get like 70% HP for taking one level of green", and so on.

Which isn't in and of itself a problem, because if I had realized that I was just supposed to not get hit - and that includes ever wanting to use a shield over a bow, like, I want a melee weapon and I want something at range, where's the room for parrying there, I'm missing the point of this mechanic entirely - maybe it's more obvious that I don't really need to care about that giant HP boost and can just go glass cannon, right? But that's not obvious from the gameplay itself, since there's no visible penalty other than the "kill X enemies without getting hit door, which is a pipe dream when you're new to the game even if you know what you should be doing.

I guess my complaint is that there's no visible on-ramp to getting good. And also that the teleportation point system feels super clunky but that's just me wanting it to feel smoother.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Melee + bow is in general the worst loadout of the three common ones (shield+melee is good, shield+ranged is good). Shields are very very strong in this game, a parry is basically a kill.

I might not understand what you mean by onramp to getting better. You just beat levels without getting hit. I don't think that's actually all that rewarding after a point but that's basically the whole game.

Also imo dont play purple builds. I think they exacerbate the bad parts of the game.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 4, 2019

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

It really isn't; as you stack more scrolls on the same stat you get diminishing returns (at least according to the screen when you pick them up), so it's not at all clear whether it's best to go all in on one stat and hope you get a full spread of equipment in that colour, or spread your scrolls around to get the highest total stats and have at least basic competence in anything you find.

the nonobvious bit is that the scroll effects are multiplicative, and while the health % on each scroll goes down with each one, the damage benefit is always 15%. But that 15% being multiplicative means that 15% more damage on your 20th scroll is actually a really big difference, and missing just a few scrolls leaves you extremely weak by comparison.

This was not helped by the game’s baffling old system where enemies got more health and damage each time you picked up a scroll, so there was a mathematical sweet spot you wanted to hit and then stop picking up scrolls, because you would then effectively get less health and damage if you picked up an upgrade that claimed it gave you more health and damage. while the new system makes way more sense, it has the unfortunate side effect that missing a scroll is a big deal now and so you’re pushed to fully clear every level as methodically as possible instead, which I complained about earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I got into a pinch at floor 300 with a bunch of orc archers shooting me in the dark and a bunch of lucky rolls on their part. I got lowish and started quaffing potions and the first one I quaffed was a potion of poison. Oops!